Guidance Software Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.7

Guidance Software President, CEO, and Director Victor Limongelli
Victor Limongelli

Pros
  • It's a great product and has been around for over 15 years (in 5 reviews)

• If you are interested in computer forensics, this is a good place to start (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of middle management, much maligned in other reviews, is gone (in 4 reviews)

• No one should ever have to work in such a toxic environment (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Look at the stock price

I worked at Guidance Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

EnCase Forensic was the state-of-the art. In the 2007 timeframe. Then, top management tried to break into the legal (eDiscovery) arena.

Forensics was the strong suit. Anyone wanting to learn about Forensic investigation should consider working here. The Training department is EXCELLENT. Forensic training is usually offered to all R&D personnel. If you come in as QA you certainly should ask for the training.

I'm not sure that programmers are given the chance for the week-long training class. I attended three tiers of training and never met one of our junior programmers. Customers were paying over $10K to attend.

Cons

No career development for young programmers, due to the proprietary language.
    Management decisions took the company in an odd direction. Middle management could survive without knowing the product and what it could do. Just kissing butt to someone above. My boss was clueless about how the software worked, and we were in R&D.
    Due to lack of career development opportunities, I saw my young friends in programming as in a sweatshop environment. There is a trade-off between money and satisfaction.

You won't take advice, so I won't offer any. CEO made his millions taking the company public in 2006.

Could be a great company under a different CEO or a CEO that figures out what it means to lead.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay at above market rates, they are trying to improve the management structure and working with employees to create a better environment. Most peers are nice people and get along great.

Cons

The problem is that there is little to no room for advancement and no real thought given to developing people. It seems like once you are in job, that is where you will be forever, unless someone quits (or dies). Even then, they hire somebody from the outside to fill that position too. This could also be because it is a relatively small company and not a lot of extra people, so its hard to take somebody out of a position for very long. They tend to hire people for a job and expect them to do just that. There has been too much hierarchy and middle management, but that will be changing, or so they say.
    Lots of cubicles, which IMHO are a waste of money. Anybody that has had to work in one will tell you that its demoralizing, unproductive and just plain dumb. So why do companies doe it? Because the facilities guys are trying to stay within budget. Most people don't complain and just suffer through it, which is bad for the employee and employer. Even Facebook acknowledges that they expect a 15% loss in productivity with their "open" office concept, but they are trying to lure the "millenials" (and that is what they want), they have the money to change their minds later.
    The fundamental problem is that everything seems to be done on the basis of what it will cost, i.e. there are no real values other than worrying about the stock price or the bottom line. The CEO is a lawyer and hence tends to have blinders on and looks at one thing at a time in isolation, he is very good at addressing issues, but completely fails to see the big picture.
    Technology is reasonably good, but poor overall architecture and implementation. Things look like they have been cobbled together over time and it does not hang together well. This includes the Intranet. Using SharePoint for everything is a nice concept, but its a lousy implementation (may be that is Microsoft's fault).
    HR is not as good as they could be, but then, not been impressed with any HR dept. so far. HR employees have been mediocre, think HR needs to find better people.

Think about what it is the company is all about and sell that to your employees, customers and the public. Definitely need more hype, heck everyone else is doing it... May be a better PR firm? But it not just for the public, your own employees will appreciate hearing about the good things that happen. Acknowledge the bad and explain what steps are being taken to correct it.

Trust and take care of your employees, offer them better training, participation in where the company is going and how things are done. Right now it seems that decisions are made by a select few and then foisted on everyone else. Its no way to take advantage of the many, many smart people that work for you. Also people don't feel like they have any control of their destiny, its just a job, until the next one comes along. They don't see the value in their small piece of the puzzle and they don't feel valued.

Employees will do what is best for them, not what is best for the company under most circumstances. If you offered an employee $1000 vs a better office chair/desk/etc. for $2000, they will pocket the $1000 and spend it the next day. There is no memory of it after a month, nothing in it for the company other than some short term good will. On the other hand if you make the office space more comfortable, they will work better and will want to stay longer (in the short term and the long term). So somebody has to be an adult and figure out what is best for the long run.

Leadership has been mediocre, there does not appear to be any kind of vision or goal for the company. A reasonable value statement might help, but make sure its not the business-speak that turns smart people off. Something simple and to the point.

Base decisions on some sort of value that people can relate to, not its cheaper to do x rather than y. It may be cheaper in the short run, but usually not in the long run.

Lastly, bring people along on decisions, explain it, learn how to build a consensus. If people disagree, listen and reevaluate. Don't fire them because they disagree. Read some books on leadership and what it means.

Good product and good people

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are interesting engineering problems to solve within the company and its possible to work on many different products. There is a cafeteria on the fifth floor which is discounted for employees and has good food. There are some standing desks although it's not guaranteed that you will get one. The people in the company are very friendly and it's possible to talk directly to customers if you attend the training courses on the second floor. There are whiteboards everywhere which makes collaborating with other people very easy.

Cons

Historically there has been a big divide in R&D, but this appears to be changing. There is no option to work from home.

Make the cafeteria free for employees. Free food makes everyone happy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High Tech software company run by lawyers. Need I say more?

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good products & technology. The Encase Software suite is an industry leader.

Cons

The company is very poorly run and disorganized. Internal groups that should be consolidated act and operate as independent units with their own agenda. It's more like working at a law firm than a software company. The company has completely de-valued itself by reducing it's product pricing to a point where they can never recover.

Sell the company to someone who can effectively market and position our products. Or, replace the Senior Management with individuals that know this industry.

Totally lost executive management team

I worked at Guidance Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

The space is kind of hot and easy to talk about with prospects

Cons

The Sr. Management is lost. They would be better off setting strategy and objectives using a Weegie board. They demonstrate no respect for their employees and a complete disregard for their careers.

How about you put people into positions that have actually done the job they are trying to set strategy for.

Fun technology, good compensation, dictatorship at the top

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Good people can be found with real skills.
    Compensation appears to be above average.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

No accountability whatsoever.
    Every key decision is made at the top without seeking input from the rest of the company.
    Reinventing the wheel.

You're not always right. Learn to listen to your employees.

Company culture is changing - not so many disgruntled folks who bash after they leave

Current Employee - RD Development  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - RD Development in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with technology and products that actually make a difference in the world. Head down to the Training room on the 3rd floor of HQ and see investigators being taught basic and advanced techniques in digital investigations from P2P file-sharing investigations to corporate fraud and yes, counter-terrorism.

If moving the needle in society means something to you, this company has the clout and the resources to put you in a position to make a difference.

Cons

We're going through growing pains. Much of middle management, much maligned in other reviews, is gone. "groupthink" acolytes are nervous. We're undertaking some awesome stuff, but we still have to deal with the past.

Focus on alignment of organizations outside of R&D with what the products are meant to do.
    Loyalty is for canines. Sentimentality is for your long lost flame. Make the tough decisions and earn your spot in the pantheon of execs that made a choice and lived by it.

Interesting, Innovative Company with a Challenging, Fast-Paced enviornment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Products! Awesome People! Smart, easy to work with above market pay. Everyone helps each other here, I've been here over 6 years... When you're an industry leader its great to see us not get comfortable. Some companies would be satisfied with that but our Sr Leadership keeps pushing forward, its fantastic to be part of this company.

Cons

We ship a product so sometimes we have to work a little extra to meet the customer demands.

Its never perfect, my manager is engaging and we communicate openly.

It's become "just a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pays well (although this is changing with recent job cuts and firings). It's a great product and has been around for over 15 years.

Cons

Micro-management
    Lack of direction
    Lack of communication
    Its become a vindictive environment (regarding upper management)
    Company feels as though its always looking for reasons to get rid of people.
    MANY people are looking to leave.

Be honest with the employees and treat them as adults.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

work life balance.
    great talents, supportive management

Cons

resistance of change. benefit could be better.

Worked for Guidance Software? Contribute to the Community!