Guidant Financial

David Nilssen

Exciting and Growing Company

Former Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Guidant Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They provide a set of solutions that make a real and positive impact of their clients. They care about employees and try to make the job something to look forward to.

Cons

Still small and heavily focused on being their industries leader. This means that change can hit without a moment's notice. In some cases entire initiatives can disappear suddenly. that can mean opportunity to grow though.

Employees are happiest when they have a clear idea as to management's plan for the future.

Too Many Empty High Fives, Not Enough Difficult Conversation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Guidant Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Guidant hires awesome, kind, funny, and caring individuals. These people make any day better and brighter. These people are the only reason you come into work--you can’t let them down.

They provide great benefits and focus on work life balance for higher level employees. Flexibility for higher level employees is great. They do great events and parties and have lots of social presence--both in social media and with each other as an office.

The marketing "team" is a small and highly effective group of people. They are responsible for a lot of press coverage for the company and that press coverage sells Guidant's product. The sales team is a bunch of great people who focus hard and get results while making each other laugh. The operations team works so hard its ridiculous particularly given the amount of obstacles they have to overcome just to get through the obscene deadlines set for them.

Some of the managers are just fantastic at what they do and they stand up for their employees against all odds. The CEO and President are highly intelligent leaders who try hard to be accessible to the entire company (and very rarely succeed but not for lack of effort).

Cons

Guidant prides itself on being a culture of “difficult conversations,” but in my time there, I saw them consistently decline to have said conversations with their employees before making big decisions. The tactic is always to avoid confrontation. As a result, this company has a hard time working with assertive personalities and thusly they lose out on innovative agents of change. They prefer to promote meeker individuals that the leadership can “pull out of their shells.” They want to mold their employees, not utilize the strengths of existing personalities. To some this may be a wise management tactic, but to most it is stifling and promotes a general air of “needing to fit in” to succeed.

Internally, the messaging to employees at Guidant is that the turnover rate is not high. While there is good and bad turnover, I did an informal count. While I was employed with them for 2 years, I calculated that I saw 21 of about 80 total employees exit. These exited individuals spanned all levels of employment from entry level to Executive and their reasons for exit varied (lay-offs, ends of contracts, no choice to renew, mutual decisions, fired based off of performance/behavior). To see an entire fourth of them leave—either ‪by force or by choice—created a pretty deep sense of instability. The feeling that remains is one of not being allowed to ‪make a mistake or speak your mind, for fear of being let go. While I was ‪employed there, I felt that the company did little to combat this sensation, even though I often heard employees express a lack of confidence that they would come in the next day and have a job. There is ‪a general sense from leadership that all those who have exited, “were wrong,” or, “will be happier somewhere else,” or, “made a simple mistake,” and ‪that Guidant in no way contributed to those exits. A good employer has curiosity about exits, not excuses and explanations. This belief was so great they offered a "Zappos Deal" to anyone who felt they didn't fit in. The deal was an offer to give anyone who felt they didn't fit in two months worth of severance pay if they left by a certain date. To this day, I have no idea how many people took the offer.

The Human Resources “Department” is highly unprofessional but has a lot of “great ideas.” The department is small and overwhelmed. It fails to keep up with internal demand for help and fails to recruit at an appropriate pace causing much undue stress on it’s existing employees to cover the gaps. The HR department is comprised of very young individuals who have little to no experience in the Human Resources Field. They make amateur mistakes and upper management continually rationalizes these mistakes without proper due diligence on them.

Equal treatment of women in this office is an issue, despite a fairly gender balanced employee base. I cannot go into details on this because I fear it will reveal my identity. Enough said.

Please don’t dismiss this review as a rant from an irate former employee, as I fear you may.

Really consider what it means to have difficult conversations. Pay your employees what they are worth and take into consideration that minimum wage could be rising in Bellevue. Examine why people leave and do what it takes to keep them. You hire great people, but you do little to keep them around and allow them to get to a place of desperation before fixing anything. Don’t blame employees for choosing to leave, but rather take responsibility for not being a place they want to stay.

Recognize that no matter how many parties you throw, you will always be a “just a paycheck” to some people and that is OK. Sometimes the employee who is only there for a paycheck can be a boon, if used correctly.

Recognize that high fiving people does not take the place of genuine human connection. Recognize that because your executives make so much more than your entry level employees, the two of you won’t have fun at lunch together. There’s not much to talk about when you’re sitting across the table from someone who spends their leisure funds on extravagant vacations, cars, and sporting events while the other party can’t even afford to pay their light bill on the salary you pay them. You’re from different worlds, and that’s OK if you recognize and understand that instead of pretending it’s not that way.

Own what you are, stop trying to be something else, be honest with your employees and don't make promises you can't keep. Despite the young age of most of your employees, they're smart individuals who want to make a name for themselves. If you took advantage of that? You might go somewhere you never expected. Or at least you might make the majority of your employees feel heard and THAT would be something.

Love the culture and the people

Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company truly cares about the people who work here. I've worked for large corporate entities as well as start-ups and I truly believe this is the perfect blend between the two. The main reason I choose to come work here was because of the management Dave, Jeremy, Katie and Heidi are all in the trenches right next to you on a daily basis. It's very refreshing to see owners so passionate about what they do and the impact their products have on their clients.

Cons

Theres some unknown areas at the moment and also I agree with a few of the other posts more products would be great to have.

You're moving in the right direction just stick to what you're doing and keep involving all areas of the business.

Awesome coworkers, positive culture, and an understanding management team

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I wanted to share my opinion, since I don't undersatnd any of the negative reviews on Guidant. First of all, the co-owners are some of the most understanding and approcahable people I know. They've created a very positive atmosphere, and everyone I work around is excited to be here. One of the comments below said that Guidant somehow ruining people's financial lives - this is not true. The clients we have are people who are interested in starting a business and looking for a way to get funding. Its exciting to help them start their business. Some of those businesses fail and some succeed. But when you go into busniess for yourself there is a risk - and not everyone will have a succesful business. Thats not problem with Guidant (since you have a BETTER chance of suceeding if you work with Guidant), thats just capitalism.

So to be clear - the people you work with are awesome. The company has gone out of its way to make sure there is a great culture here. In the sales side, its exciting because you are helping aspiring entreprenuers acheive their dreams of starting a business.

Cons

The work can be somewhat monotonous. There is only one main product Guidant has, and it would be good to have more to offer.

Keep focusing on growth and career opportunities for your employees.

It's a shark tank. Turnover rate is HIGH

Current Employee - Recordkeeping in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Recordkeeping in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some friendly people there to work with, but lots of turmoil on the inner ranks and management doesn't care. Better luck working for an actual scum bag corporation that will at least tell you to your face.

Cons

Overworked underpaid non appreciative. These people who work there are in fear of if they are going to eat next week. I've seen them can 10 employees in 1 day with no remorse while Dave was off on vacation. Only cares about the bottom dollar in his pocket and suckers those "willing" employees to do homework on their time. Stay away from this place. It's the worst company I've ever worked for. If you do get hired here, always look over your back. For the corporate world, this is the harshest. Anyone who works here or has worked here you know what I'm talking about. The "clients" they pander to is majority of white males ages 50-65 who have the entrepreneur "spirit" to dump their total 401k savings into starting a business. They suck the money out of them. Some succeed and others fail. Sleep well at night knowing if you work for them, you are responsible for others failure on this "guidant financial idea"

Quit grandstanding, tools.

Excellent company to work for and grow with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management and ownership that really care. Pay is good. Opportunity for growth is good. Coworkers are good workers and the company attracts good people. The company is very deliberate in what they offer and they make sure that those offerings are better than any other competing firm. Guidant is providing the Bentley of the industry and everyone else is offering Hyundai's. Luckily in this space they both cost the same so what you get is what is different, not the price tag.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to offer additional products to our current and prospective clients. This takes time due to Guidant's history of making sure the offering is better than all others. It is not easy to continue to raise the bar with every product.

Stay Away

I worked at Guidant Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has phenomenal HR and Marketing teams. You can see some of their handy work on this very site as they have written all the positive reviews for this company.

Cons

Employees are regularly promised bonuses and inventives only to later be told the company isn't able to pay said bonuses.
    The company spends ridiculous amounts of money on fancy Christmas parties and team building activities while most of their employees are working well below what they're worth.
    The owners of the company seem to be more concerned with their own fame rather than the well being of their employees.
    Turnover is disgustingly high. Hiring/firing happens on a weekly basis. Large layoffs happen every few years. This company does not know how to retain it's people and it's no wonder with the poor quality with which this company is run.

Start spending money on what's important, your employees.

Great co-workers in a chaotic environment

I worked at Guidant Financial

Pros

The most redeeming quality of Guidant is the amazing people that they hire; however the incredibly high turnover makes it hard to really get to know your co-workers.

Cons

The owners lack sincerity and are as phony as can be. They do not have a true understanding of what their product is, how it affects those who have bought it, and those employees that have to support it. This leads to unrelenting stress on those employees and sub-par service to the clients who have paid a premium for the services that Guidant offers. I will reiterate the “new and shiny” comments from other reviewers, as it is 100% accurate. There is a huge disparity between departments and management definitely plays favorites. The company also changes focus constantly, which is not always a bad thing; but is when things are not properly developed or thought out.

Once a great company making waves with great disruptive innovation; glory days are now in the past - industry caught up.

Former Employee - Well Connected Across Company
    Former Employee - Well Connected Across Company

I worked at Guidant Financial full-time

Pros

The people - Guidant takes great care in on-boarding top level talent in the trenches. If the services Guidant provides actually has the potential to scale in the manner that we've all been force fed to believe, this company would surely be thriving by now.

The vision and culture - Guidant goes above and beyond to ensure a positive company culture. Company olympics, transparency and humility from the CEOs, birthday celebrations, and happy hours all contribute to a great environment.

I struggle with this review because Guidant used to be great and provided so many opportunities for growth; now it has strayed from the ideals and innovation which served the customer, created profitability, and also made it a fun place to work. 5 stars for the past, 1 star for the short-midterm outlook of company, so i settled with 3. See Cons below.

Cons

The people - It feels like the CEOs lost faith in themselves to grow the company (which is a shame because they are talented and capable) so they recruited essentially an entirely new executive team. This team is now repeating many of the same mistakes the company has already experienced in the past. Bloated salaries and job titles, patting each other on the back and "celebrating each win" while ignoring the fact that profit is evaporating and the real producers in the trenches are getting frustrated.

The vision and culture - There is so much cotton candy, glitter, and rainbows that it is almost counter-productive. Political correctness has run amuck. Critical thinking and constructive criticism are almost discouraged in the trenches for fear of hurting someones feelings. So problems get ignored until they are forced to be addressed in a very big way with unpleasant consequences for all.

If the mission is to "Empower Entrepreneurs" and help people "Create the life they want" then do it! Expand product offerings to a full suite of small business tools and assistance for your customers. processing ROBS transactions alone will never take this company to where it wants to go, especially with competition increasing. Guidant had a good thing when it was a lean company many years ago. It seems to have lost the plot with bloated salaries of executives who only want to throw money at ideas that continue to flounder and unknowingly repeat mistakes from the past.

Good place to grow

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pro's are simply the people and the management. Also they have a very focused vision about where Guidant wants to be in the next 3 years.

Cons

My main concerns were the unknown of where the company was headed and why. Now we know so my Con's are little to none at this point.

Focus on the core strength of the business and grow it until a larger company has to purchase you.