Guidant Financial Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
David Nilssen

1. Great Place to cut your teeth!

I worked at Guidant Financial full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to take on responsibilities.
    Fun work environment with many great folks.
    It's like a big family.

Cons

Small company, not a great amount of growth, compensation was stagnant during my tenure.

2. Wonderful Experience

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you thrive at working at your own pace and without being micro managed, all while juggling multiple tasks then this is perfect for you! Guidant also realizes the balance between work and fun and highly encourages both!

Cons

Only if you aren't a fan of a good working community who supports each other!

3. Fun place to work

I have been working at Guidant Financial

Pros

Great environment to work in. It's always a lot of fun.

Cons

Job can be repetitive, and boring at times.

Advice to Management

Make bonus structure easier to understand

5. High Turnover

I worked at Guidant Financial

Pros

Excellent team members and lower level supervisors.

Best case scenarios, it is satisfying hearing of client success stories.

Cons

High stress, low pay - good health benefits. Minimal training for complicated product. High level decision makers seemed more interested in spending money on new fancy systems and bringing in new sales than in creating a well trained staff to deliver a quality recurring product. It costs more money to gain a customer than maintain one. Why keep losing them on the back end? I felt terrible for customers having to work with inexperienced staff on very important processes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the quality hiring, you have a knack for hiring good people. Invest more in training. Understand how poorly implemented, rapidly changing processes, paired with low investment in training, high employee turnover, and under staffing affect your employees' ability to reach unreasonable metrics.

awesome

I have been working at Guidant Financial

Pros

everything was good, no complaints

Cons

nothing, great place to work

Advice to Management

promotions, pay, time-off policies

7. Strong career growth opportunities, awesome co-workers, fun and friendly atmosphere.

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost - the people you work with are awesome. Some of my closest friends are people who are working at Guidant or worked here in the past. By far the best part of working at Guidant is the people you work with.

Management is understanding of employees schedules and generally are very flexible if you need to adjust your schedule for some reason (sickness, family reasons, etc..). If you have questions or concerns they are very approachable. However, you will want to present some potential solutions to the issue rather than just complaining about a problem. If you come to the it solution oriented they will often bend over backwards to help.

A large portion of the management team has been promoted internally - so opportunities for career growth are strong. Because a lot of management has been internally, they tend to understand the needs of average employees while also being able to balance the company's needs.

Benefits are very good. The healthcare plan is better than I've ever had at an other company, dental is currently fully covered as is vision. They also have a matching program for their 401(k) - something I'm seeing less and less from other companies.

I've noticed a lot of reviews on turnover - the entry level type jobs tend to have a higher turnover, but once you are above entry level people generally stay here a long time. In the last year though I've noticed that even the entry level positions are seeing significantly lower turnover. I'm not sure if a change was made, but overall I feel this is a company that does a good job of retaining employees.

Cons

The CRM can be really frustrating to use and changes to it are extremely slow. Passwords are mandated to change constantly and are all on different timelines so you can have 6 different passwords you have to use everyday. From a company perspective I understand that's a good thing - but it also adds to employee frustrations.

On the operations side you will generally have no problem working about 40 hours a week, but once a year (I think around October) it gets extremely busy. They try to hire enough seasonal people to help, but often operations ends up working well over 40 hours a week (though you are paid overtime). On the sales side, consultants seem to often be working extra hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within! Nothing seems to build morale more than a company that gives its employees opportunities and doesn't always hire from outside. Also, a system that allowed employees to rate their managers would be wonderful and would be good feedback to help them improve as well. Overall though, keep doing what you are doing.

Too Many Empty High Fives, Not Enough Difficult Conversation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Guidant Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guidant hires awesome, kind, funny, and caring individuals. These people make any day better and brighter. These people are the only reason you come into work--you can’t let them down.

They provide great benefits and focus on work life balance for higher level employees. Flexibility for higher level employees is great. They do great events and parties and have lots of social presence--both in social media and with each other as an office.

The marketing "team" is a small and highly effective group of people. They are responsible for a lot of press coverage for the company and that press coverage sells Guidant's product. The sales team is a bunch of great people who focus hard and get results while making each other laugh. The operations team works so hard its ridiculous particularly given the amount of obstacles they have to overcome just to get through the obscene deadlines set for them.

Some of the managers are just fantastic at what they do and they stand up for their employees against all odds. The CEO and President are highly intelligent leaders who try hard to be accessible to the entire company (and very rarely succeed but not for lack of effort).

Cons

Guidant prides itself on being a culture of “difficult conversations,” but in my time there, I saw them consistently decline to have said conversations with their employees before making big decisions. The tactic is always to avoid confrontation. As a result, this company has a hard time working with assertive personalities and thusly they lose out on innovative agents of change. They prefer to promote meeker individuals that the leadership can “pull out of their shells.” They want to mold their employees, not utilize the strengths of existing personalities. To some this may be a wise management tactic, but to most it is stifling and promotes a general air of “needing to fit in” to succeed.

Internally, the messaging to employees at Guidant is that the turnover rate is not high. While there is good and bad turnover, I did an informal count. While I was employed with them for 2 years, I calculated that I saw 21 of about 80 total employees exit. These exited individuals spanned all levels of employment from entry level to Executive and their reasons for exit varied (lay-offs, ends of contracts, no choice to renew, mutual decisions, fired based off of performance/behavior). To see an entire fourth of them leave—either ‪by force or by choice—created a pretty deep sense of instability. The feeling that remains is one of not being allowed to ‪make a mistake or speak your mind, for fear of being let go. While I was ‪employed there, I felt that the company did little to combat this sensation, even though I often heard employees express a lack of confidence that they would come in the next day and have a job. There is ‪a general sense from leadership that all those who have exited, “were wrong,” or, “will be happier somewhere else,” or, “made a simple mistake,” and ‪that Guidant in no way contributed to those exits. A good employer has curiosity about exits, not excuses and explanations. This belief was so great they offered a "Zappos Deal" to anyone who felt they didn't fit in. The deal was an offer to give anyone who felt they didn't fit in two months worth of severance pay if they left by a certain date. To this day, I have no idea how many people took the offer.

The Human Resources “Department” is highly unprofessional but has a lot of “great ideas.” The department is small and overwhelmed. It fails to keep up with internal demand for help and fails to recruit at an appropriate pace causing much undue stress on it’s existing employees to cover the gaps. The HR department is comprised of very young individuals who have little to no experience in the Human Resources Field. They make amateur mistakes and upper management continually rationalizes these mistakes without proper due diligence on them.

Equal treatment of women in this office is an issue, despite a fairly gender balanced employee base. I cannot go into details on this because I fear it will reveal my identity. Enough said.

Advice to Management

Please don’t dismiss this review as a rant from an irate former employee, as I fear you may.

Really consider what it means to have difficult conversations. Pay your employees what they are worth and take into consideration that minimum wage could be rising in Bellevue. Examine why people leave and do what it takes to keep them. You hire great people, but you do little to keep them around and allow them to get to a place of desperation before fixing anything. Don’t blame employees for choosing to leave, but rather take responsibility for not being a place they want to stay.

Recognize that no matter how many parties you throw, you will always be a “just a paycheck” to some people and that is OK. Sometimes the employee who is only there for a paycheck can be a boon, if used correctly.

Recognize that high fiving people does not take the place of genuine human connection. Recognize that because your executives make so much more than your entry level employees, the two of you won’t have fun at lunch together. There’s not much to talk about when you’re sitting across the table from someone who spends their leisure funds on extravagant vacations, cars, and sporting events while the other party can’t even afford to pay their light bill on the salary you pay them. You’re from different worlds, and that’s OK if you recognize and understand that instead of pretending it’s not that way.

Own what you are, stop trying to be something else, be honest with your employees and don't make promises you can't keep. Despite the young age of most of your employees, they're smart individuals who want to make a name for themselves. If you took advantage of that? You might go somewhere you never expected. Or at least you might make the majority of your employees feel heard and THAT would be something.

Exciting and Growing Company

Former Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Guidant Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They provide a set of solutions that make a real and positive impact of their clients. They care about employees and try to make the job something to look forward to.

Cons

Still small and heavily focused on being their industries leader. This means that change can hit without a moment's notice. In some cases entire initiatives can disappear suddenly. that can mean opportunity to grow though.

Advice to Management

Employees are happiest when they have a clear idea as to management's plan for the future.

Love the culture and the people

Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company truly cares about the people who work here. I've worked for large corporate entities as well as start-ups and I truly believe this is the perfect blend between the two. The main reason I choose to come work here was because of the management Dave, Jeremy, Katie and Heidi are all in the trenches right next to you on a daily basis. It's very refreshing to see owners so passionate about what they do and the impact their products have on their clients.

Cons

Theres some unknown areas at the moment and also I agree with a few of the other posts more products would be great to have.

Advice to Management

You're moving in the right direction just stick to what you're doing and keep involving all areas of the business.

11. Awesome coworkers, positive culture, and an understanding management team

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Guidant Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wanted to share my opinion, since I don't undersatnd any of the negative reviews on Guidant. First of all, the co-owners are some of the most understanding and approcahable people I know. They've created a very positive atmosphere, and everyone I work around is excited to be here. One of the comments below said that Guidant somehow ruining people's financial lives - this is not true. The clients we have are people who are interested in starting a business and looking for a way to get funding. Its exciting to help them start their business. Some of those businesses fail and some succeed. But when you go into busniess for yourself there is a risk - and not everyone will have a succesful business. Thats not problem with Guidant (since you have a BETTER chance of suceeding if you work with Guidant), thats just capitalism.

So to be clear - the people you work with are awesome. The company has gone out of its way to make sure there is a great culture here. In the sales side, its exciting because you are helping aspiring entreprenuers acheive their dreams of starting a business.

Cons

The work can be somewhat monotonous. There is only one main product Guidant has, and it would be good to have more to offer.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth and career opportunities for your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed