GuideSpark

Updated February 8, 2015
4.0

Keith Kitani

1. Featured Review

Conservative, Growing Start Up with GREAT people.

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time

Pros

The people who work st GuideSpark are some of the friendliest I've ever met. Nearly everyone will go out of his or her way to help out and support one another's success. Coworkers not only co-exist, but are friends and feel like family. When you work with smart, fun, determined and innovative coworkers, the job seems much better. The company itself is growing and doing well. Things look bright in the future for shareholders, which I think a lot of employees forget. When you look at the big picture, there is hard work involved in growing toward success. The leadership team is experience and qualified. Also just added an unlimited PTO policy, which affirms trust that employees are working hard and should take time off to recharge.

Cons

A lot of people talk about pay and I think this is a legitimate concern. The company is conservative when it comes to pay, but I think that comes from the top down. In order to grow and maintain a secure foundation, there aren't a lot of the "extras" you'll find in the Valley (no game room, massage chair or on-site launder). Working from home would be a HUGE plus in this company, but that doesn't seem to be across the horizon.

I think if employees were given the option to work from home one day a week, it would boost morale and show appreciate and trust that employees are committed to their jobs. I also think that upper management needs to really pay attention and build relationships with the "average joes" of the company and communicate in a way that all employees can relate to - what applies to them and how decisions affect their everyday lives.

CPS contractor

Former Contractor - CPS in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - CPS in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at GuideSpark as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Met a lot of nice people, they were all my age so it was a comfortable work environment.

Cons

At the beginning, we were told it would be a 3 month contract, with the possibility of being hired full-time if you put in a lot of effort. So of course I put in extra hours, got my work done, took on extra work to show I was willing to go beyond what I was asked. It was about a month and half into my contract when they started to let go the new people. They didn't give us any good reason for it. There wasn't work for us to be doing, so our contracts were cut in half and we were out. There was no appreciation for the work that we had done, the CPS team is rarely given any thanks during the weekly office meetings.

There's a real lack of transparency for new employees. They need to told just how seasonal the job is, that they will be doing work that is not fully appreciated by the company, and that they can be cut short for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Especially for somehow who was relying on the full 3 months work in order to afford rent, it's a terrible thing to learn the hard way.

CPS Contractor During OE

Current Employee - CPS in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - CPS in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at GuideSpark

Pros

Great people and plenty of work

Cons

Horrible work-life balance, low amount of transparency, and inadequate pay

Be honest with employees and involve them in discussions about the future of the company

Worked to the bone with little to nothing to show for it

Current Employee - Content Department in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Content Department in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time

Pros

Great culture at times, great co-workers

Cons

Due to under-staffing and frugality of the company, employees are worked to the bone, often times pulling all-nighters, and working 8-12+ hours daily, year round. Promotions happen often with zero pay increase, workers are often taken advantage of. The pay wage is well below industry standards, it's a surprise some employees are able to make ends meet. Very few people in my department are happy with the direction of the company

Create an environment which is conducive of work-life balance and pay your employees better.

Overall decent experience for contract work

Former Contractor - Content Production Specialist
    Former Contractor - Content Production Specialist

I worked at GuideSpark as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative and management was accessible and helpful with any questions or problems
    All the people working there are awesome and kind, making the work environment fun
    Management makes it very clear that they value all employees, including the contractors

Cons

if working as a contractor, they may give you hope that you'll be converted to a full-time employee at the end of your contract. This is not going to be the case, so be realistic with your expectations
    the hours during Open Enrollment are long and you don't get paid time and a half for overtime. Contractors and fte are both expected to work long hours
    compensation isn't competitive for the area nor the job titles.

Try to be more transparent with your contractors about when their contracts are going to end. A few were told that their contracts were ending about a month earlier than previously agreed upon, which is legal according to the contract, but still dissatisfying for the employees.
    Pay contractors time and a half for overtime. If this means putting a cap on how much overtime a contractor can work, then that might be a good idea to consider.

Guidespark is a great company to work for. I believe they will get big as the time goes by.

I worked at GuideSpark

Pros

Everyone is willing to help each other.

Cons

To many people micro-managing.
    No over time for contractor's.

To many meetings.

Objectively Speaking, A Loser of a Company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at GuideSpark (less than a year)

Pros

The only real pro is the people.

Cons

-The company's lack of real value to its customers is starting to catch up to it. (Take a look at all the five star reviews. They were all written at the same time. The more realistic ones are popping up as time passes).
    -It's not really a tech company.
    -Sales is chaos. Turnover is really bad and getting worse. Extremely aggressive with phone calls, emails, etc.
    -They don't actually create technology. Ask someone who works there. Go ahead. Look some people up on Linkein and ask them.

A Mixed Bag Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time (less than a year)

Pros

GuideSpark provides a very collaborative environment. If you aren't a fan of "knowledge share" then this may not be the place for you. You're encouraged to share what you know with others so that everyone can learn and be on an equal playing field. This is definitely helpful since you will be constantly learning new things.

The company as a whole is continuously reaching to better develop best practices for the company and business model.

There is not micro-managing.

There's a decent work-life balance. During OE the work-life balance will shift a lot in favor of work--but if you can deal with those 2.5 months you should be okay.

End of the month lunch and Bagel Mondays for every Monday of OE.

Kitchen is mainly fully stocked -- If you're a health nut this may be your worst nightmare. There are chips, sugary beverages and sweets available on a regular basis. If you plan on being healthy, you may want to bring your own snacks!

Cons

Training/On-boarding: Need to streamline the process throughout departments for On-boarding and training.

Video Quality: There are inconsistencies in the videos. Would be helpful if a writer and designer were exclusive to certain projects from start to end.

Contractors: Many were hired for the purpose of OE, but were thrown into the middle of it all. This led to a lot of confusion, misunderstandings, and sometimes mediocrity. If these people were hired before the storm, it may aid with those problems.

Meeting rooms: It would benefit to have more meeting rooms. During times of stress and a heavy work load, it's often difficult to focus when people are flying past you on scooter or playing the guitar. It's also difficult to conduct calls when people are yelling and laughing in the kitchen.

OE: It's like a storm, there's havoc, chaos, and if you aren't ready to be part of that roller coaster ride then I would suggest being wary of September-November.

WINS meetings: while it's nice to celebrate weekly wins, they become a burden during OE. Maybe cutting it to two a month would be helpful.

Kitchen: People leave dishes in the sink for the cleaning staff.
    you happen to be in the kitchen at the wrong time you may be waiting for 15 minutes just to nuke your food for 90 seconds.

Work on building your new hires a bit more and streamlining processes. That work will help grow the team to be strong against fierce winds.

It doesn't get much better than this

I have been working at GuideSpark

Pros

The number one Pro to GuideSpark is its vision. GuideSpark is truly making the world a better place. The videos they make help employers express their compassion and empathy for their employees, which are often difficult to express amid HR budget cuts and SVP of HR bonuses of 50% or more. It’s like employers are the parents, employees are the children, and GuideSpark is the family counselor improving their relationship.

And GuideSpark applies its positive vision to its own employees. They’re obsessed with culture. They spend at least 75% of interview time teasing out a candidate’s dedication, team-mindedness, strong work ethic, and quirky personality. This is because GuideSpark knows that if you don’t love the people you work with (and for), you won’t love the job.

Plus, it’s such a great place to work, employees work overtime despite their salaried pay. Everyone is so genuinely excited to be a part of GuideSpark’s amelioration of corporate communication, that they come in early, stay late, and check their email all throughout the night. The customer comes first, and most employees are dedicated to this idea to the point where they happily relinquish their lives outside work to deliver quality videos to satisfied customers.

Despite aggressive fundraising, GuideSpark is also incredibly cautious in its expenditures. Promotions are carefully considered, and only go to the employees who have been proactively seeking them for at least six months. And even then, the promotions go only to the most vocal. GuideSpark also believes in the work ethic of its employees. That’s why the company trusts employees to do the best job possible despite a lack of resources. It’s sort of like saving money on healthcare: why visit the ER when you can save money by slapping a bandage on it and wait until the next available appointment? The best solution comes after painstaking deliberation, time-consuming work-arounds, and resilient patience. This strategy not only saves money and guarantees longer-term employment, but also builds character.

GuideSpark’s culture is amazing! It’s casual, enthusiastic, and fun. Every Friday, they hand out koolaid and everyone talks about how great the week was. It’s all about the ‘wins.’

In short, GuideSpark is a great place to work, and you would be hard-pressed to find a better employer.

Cons

No Cons. GuideSpark is great!

Keep working on that promotion! I can't wait to join your ranks in 2050!

Great work environment

Current Employee - Revenue Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Revenue Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to grow with a fast-paced, dynamic organization. The sales team is energetic, talented, but most importantly collaborative. Everyone is very smart, giving you the opportunity to pick their brains and learn how to grow professionally. Sales leadership is incredible, very engaging and helpful, the coaching is better than I've ever experienced.

Cons

Aside from having no local IT department on hand to help with technical difficulties quickly, I would say none.