Guidebook Reviews

4.6
Guidebook CEO & Co-founder Jeff Lewis
Jeff Lewis

Best job I've had

I have been working at Guidebook

Pros

I've been at Guidebook for 5 months and it's the best job I've ever had. This is my third job and I've been working for a little over 5 years.

Simply put, the people at Guidebook are incredible. They care about my success and I enjoy working alongside them everyday.

Other things I like about my job:
    I messed up twice in my first few months. Instead of freaking out, the VPs involved explained how I should have handled the situations
    I am trusted with more responsibility than at my other jobs (at larger companies). I can actually see how my work helps the company succeed
    Healthy work/life balance
    My goals are super clear

The last thing worth mentioning: I remember back to when I was interviewing and reading Glassdoor reviews. I was a bit worried by some of the negative reviews. I know 7 people really well at the company (to the point where we share our honest opinions about working at Guidebook with one another outside the workplace). We're all very happy and have no serious complaints.

Cons

The split offices between SF and Palo Alto are nice (commuting sucks), but it does have some negative effects. It's hard to get to know everyone and can hurt communication.

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to maintain the culture as the company grows!

Growing startup with young, energetic leadership and good, but crowded, office culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good equity, good communication from leadership, benefits include Caltrain GoPass, which is nice since both offices are by Caltrain stations. Catered lunch, casual atmosphere, and people at the company are very low-politics and friendly. I made friends here. Company-provided computer is a new macbook. Several people have been promoted to lead new teams as they grow, you can definitely develop your career here.

Cons

Guidebook has only moderate salaries, as you would expect from a startup. The open office plan is bad-- no cubicles, not enough meeting rooms, not enough space in general.. They try to sit the salespeople away from the programmers but you can hear them even with headphones. Some days you can't find a desk to work at, or can't find a free conference room for your meeting.

Advice to Management

Leadership communication is good. Crowded offices are a problem.

The ideal company to work at

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

- The leadership is accessible, humble, and attentive.
    - The product is already proven and profitable, but it's also full of potential (there are tons of opportunity vectors to explore)
    - The leadership is talented. There are three founders, each leading in their respective domains of expertise. Sales/Business, Development, Design. Their synergy gives confidence and direction to the team.
    - The perks keep getting better. Free meals, nights out, and monthly company parties / game nights.
    - Compensation is competitive. In other words, they pay well.
    - 401k, full health, unlimited vacation
    - Individuals are given tons of ownership to shape the future of the company.
    - Growing like crazy. In my time here the team grew from 30 to 80, and it's still going. And what's even crazier is there is virtually zero churn.
    - They encourage work life balance. You only stay late if you need to get things done. Otherwise they encourage you to rest when you need it.

Cons

- As with any growing company, there are always some growing pains. But thus far those pains have been minimal, and are being addressed even as I type this.
    - Individuals who want to be directed and told what to do may need to be more active in seeking direction. That said, if you're a self-starter, you will love it here.

Advice to Management

- Continue to keep a high standard on who you hire. This is one of the biggest draws and strongest foundations for future success.

Beware of all the fake glowing 5 star reviews...

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

- There is a small handful of great people who work here.
    - Decent snacks/drinks in the kitchen area.
    - Choice of offices in SF or Palo Alto.
    - Standing desks are nice.

Cons

First off, I just wanted to say that I find it ridiculous that all the fake / planted reviews that have gone up specifically mention how great the pay is, and how it’s not only market rate but *above* market rate. If the pay is so great, then why isn’t anyone posting it in the salary section of Glassdoor? Here’s why: a) Unlike with all the planted positive reviews, if Guidebook plants fake inflated salaries, that will outrage the people who currently work there because they will wonder why they’re getting paid so much less. b) If they post the actual salaries, that will just confirm that the salaries are way below market rate, which will scare away any potential applicants and discount those fake reviews that go out of their way to talk about the awesome salaries at Guidebook. It’s really a lose-lose situation, which is why they just keep adding fake positive reviews that talk about how great the pay is (without backing it up with any legitimate statistics).

I also find it interesting that many of the planted reviews talk about how *everyone* is *so* happy here. I will be perfectly honest, as I have nothing to gain by being disingenuous. Are there folks who love working at Guidebook? Yes, absolutely. Are there folks who are more or less indifferent? Yes, again. Are there folks who loathe working there and are counting the days until they get another offer? Definitely, yes. Conclusion? Either the folks who put up these glowing reviews are being downright dishonest, or are actually that disconnected from reality. I’m not sure which is more disturbing.

Things are meant to be open and flexible here, but when you sit down and really think about it, leaving everything open-ended is really a way for management NOT to have to commit to anything. It's a very slippery slope (and, in my experience, a highly frustrating one). E.g. What do I need to do to get promoted? To get a raise? How about if I commit to X concrete plan with Y deliverables by Z date? You get non-committal responses that management can always snake out of after you uphold your end of the deal. Highly, highly frustrating, but absolutely nothing you can do about it.

There is definitely a contradiction in perception versus reality. For instance, how many hours you are physically present in the office counts for a lot more than it should (with no consideration for people's commute times, time spent working in the evenings and weekends, etc). You can sit in the office all day quietly playing video games until sundown and be perceived as a much harder worker than someone who works hard from 9-5 in the office and then goes home and does more work. That’s the sad reality. It’s not a shocker that people come in later and leave earlier when certain senior management is out of office.

This really hurts work/life balance because it is a known reality that you are evaluated based on your time in the office. This is really unfortunate and flies in the face of what an open, flexible startup culture should embody.

Advice to Management

Stop posting the fake 5 star reviews. It's beyond obvious.

Best Internship Experience

Current Intern - Python Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Python Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Learned alongside some of the smartest developers I know
    -Quickly became friends with everyone and the office has a culture of being very fun and accepting
    -Everyone is a peer, and even as an intern you are treated as an essential component
    -Just an outright fun experience, everyone is a great person, the offices are stocked full of fun things to do, and the work is challenging but rewarding

Cons

It was a bit of a commute for me sometimes which is rough, but besides that nothing was really bad.

Startup Life

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work hard. This is the place to be. I like my coworkers...have you been at a company where you actually like your coworkers? It's a rare phenomenon.

Cons

It's a job. Sometimes it's stressful.

Advice to Management

I don't think I actually have any valid advice. Running a startup seems like an impossible task and there's a plethora of self-contradictory useless advice I can fill this space with.

Incredible learning experience, fantastic co-workers

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Like any other start up, you have to be very self sufficient. Those that can start and finish a project on their own initiative with little guidance will truly thrive here. If you want someone to hold your hand, this is not the company for you.
    - Offices in SF and PA which is nice because you can work out of whichever office you'd like. Sometimes I feel like working out of SF and going out afterwards with coworkers, which is nice
    - Guidebook is a quickly growing startup. Personally I think this is great because to be a part of that is an incredibly educational experience. Working at a startup often means that you need to do things outside of your job description and in my case it has given me tons of valuable skills which I know will serve me well in the future
    - Guidebook has hosted some weekend company trips, which take place about every 4 months. This helps a lot in team bonding which is important especially when we are adding new people at such a fast rate. They are always fun, and they allow you to get to know your coworkers much better :)
    -Coworkers are truly phenomenal people. Everyone is smart, hardworking, and just good people. They are people that I will continue to keep in touch with if I leave Guidebook
    - Benefits : Full health benefits package, catered lunches 2x a week, stocked snack/drink area, yoga classes, 401k (but no matching yet), Caltrain GoPass, and tax benefits for Clipper card
    - Hard work is recognized and I feel appreciated by my manager.
    - Management definitely emphasizes quality work. They encourage everyone to do their best and because of it, our product and customer service is high quality.
    - Very flexible work hours
    - ability to work on projects that interest you. Guidebook is very supportive of that, you just need to have the initiative to start and finish those projects

Guidebook by no means is a perfect company, but I'm a better person after working here. I appreciate the opportunities that were presented to me and I love coming to work to spend the day with a group of silly, intelligent, awesome people. Guidebook is a workplace that definitely emphasizes a great work environment and so when we hire new people, the hiring team makes an effort to hire people that are not only competent and smart, but also people who will add to the company culture.

Cons

- We are growing quickly so we're experiencing some growing pains. SF office is getting a little crowded but we're looking for new spaces
    - No formal performance reviews have been established yet, which means that getting valuable feedback from your superior might be rare. From what I understand, a formal review process is being established currently so I expect that it will be remedied soon enough. In general, communication between managers and employees could be improved
    - Compensation is just okay
    - Open office layout which is a pro and a con. Pro because it does encourage interaction between employees across all the teams, but once in a while the offices can get a little loud.
    - in some positions there is no clear path for advancement

Advice to Management

More communication between employees and managers. Continue to uphold the high standard for hiring new people. Reward the hard working employees and make sure that everyone feels appreciated.

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very large group of the smartest people I know. At previous jobs I was surprised at how dumb people could be and Guidebook is the antithesis of that. It's crazy how great everyone is at their job and so eager to help out others at the drop of a hat. Senior management is great and wants to know about issues with your job. I came to them about dissatisfaction with pay and the were able to resolve it. I would have liked it to be more proactive on their part but they came through. If you just complain to your coworkers your not helping yourself or the company morale (I do understand it can be difficult to just approach senior management but they aren't stand offish). They really do care about people here and want people to be successful.

The work/life balance can be tough because people are so passionate about their work. A lot is asked but people take days off whenever and no questions are asked. Take time if you need it and work hard, everybody wins. I love the flexibility to take a 3 day weekend whenever I want. Some people have even taken 3 week vacations, as long as you work hard and produce, nobody cares.

Awesome VP of Sales that makes me better at my job and enjoy work. Pushes you to work hard but never micro-manages. He really gets in the trenches with you to drive deals.

Cons

I know the pay was an issue for people and I feel like Guidebook is stepping to the plate on that. Being part of a company with minimal investment makes it tough to pay people outrageous amounts of money. Guidebook is very smart with it's money and that will allow everyone to reap the rewards come IPO/selling time. But I agree with the stinginess on pay and was unhappy with compensation until a few months ago.

I would say there aren't any cons now.

Advice to Management

You guys are amazing and keep taking is to great places! Very excited to continue my career at Guidebook.

Perfect work environment, fantastic team

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, very solid leadership, many growth opportunities, and the ability to directly influence company growth are just a few reasons I love working at Guidebook. Since starting here, I've met people from all walks of life united by their passion of helping people; while everybody here works very hard, each employee knows how to have some fun, too. The work-environment is very "friendly professionalism", and I think it contributes to a much happier and productive company.

Cons

Sometimes, important ideas are not conveyed nor discussed adequately between departments. This is on the up and up, but communication can always use improvement. I also feel like the compensation does not always match the work/productivity of the employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote feedback on the company, and keep highlighting the growth opportunities afforded through hard work and through initiative-taking. Reward those who are contributing the most to bolster stronger work ethics!

Good opportunities, amazing co-workers

Former Employee - Creative Manager
    Former Employee - Creative Manager

I worked at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guidebook has a great culture. All of my coworkers were very excited about the product, and worked extremely hard (usually going above&beyond the job description). I was able to pursue projects that interested me, and was even encouraged to do so. The importance of self-sufficiency that someone else here mentioned is very true. It's definitely an environment that allows self-motivated people to thrive.

Cons

Hard work is rewarded, but that also means work&life balance is a bit on the fragile side. It's not mandatory to stay late, but a lot of the employees do. There is always a ton of work to be done.

Advice to Management

Please increase pay for people who deserve it!