Guidebook

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
4.5

Jeff Lewis

The ideal company to work at

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

- The leadership is accessible, humble, and attentive.
    - The product is already proven and profitable, but it's also full of potential (there are tons of opportunity vectors to explore)
    - The leadership is talented. There are three founders, each leading in their respective domains of expertise. Sales/Business, Development, Design. Their synergy gives confidence and direction to the team.
    - The perks keep getting better. Free meals, nights out, and monthly company parties / game nights.
    - Compensation is competitive. In other words, they pay well.
    - 401k, full health, unlimited vacation
    - Individuals are given tons of ownership to shape the future of the company.
    - Growing like crazy. In my time here the team grew from 30 to 80, and it's still going. And what's even crazier is there is virtually zero churn.
    - They encourage work life balance. You only stay late if you need to get things done. Otherwise they encourage you to rest when you need it.

Cons

- As with any growing company, there are always some growing pains. But thus far those pains have been minimal, and are being addressed even as I type this.
    - Individuals who want to be directed and told what to do may need to be more active in seeking direction. That said, if you're a self-starter, you will love it here.

- Continue to keep a high standard on who you hire. This is one of the biggest draws and strongest foundations for future success.

Beware of all the fake glowing 5 star reviews...

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

- There is a small handful of great people who work here.
    - Decent snacks/drinks in the kitchen area.
    - Choice of offices in SF or Palo Alto.
    - Standing desks are nice.

Cons

First off, I just wanted to say that I find it ridiculous that all the fake / planted reviews that have gone up specifically mention how great the pay is, and how it’s not only market rate but *above* market rate. If the pay is so great, then why isn’t anyone posting it in the salary section of Glassdoor? Here’s why: a) Unlike with all the planted positive reviews, if Guidebook plants fake inflated salaries, that will outrage the people who currently work there because they will wonder why they’re getting paid so much less. b) If they post the actual salaries, that will just confirm that the salaries are way below market rate, which will scare away any potential applicants and discount those fake reviews that go out of their way to talk about the awesome salaries at Guidebook. It’s really a lose-lose situation, which is why they just keep adding fake positive reviews that talk about how great the pay is (without backing it up with any legitimate statistics).

I also find it interesting that many of the planted reviews talk about how *everyone* is *so* happy here. I will be perfectly honest, as I have nothing to gain by being disingenuous. Are there folks who love working at Guidebook? Yes, absolutely. Are there folks who are more or less indifferent? Yes, again. Are there folks who loathe working there and are counting the days until they get another offer? Definitely, yes. Conclusion? Either the folks who put up these glowing reviews are being downright dishonest, or are actually that disconnected from reality. I’m not sure which is more disturbing.

Things are meant to be open and flexible here, but when you sit down and really think about it, leaving everything open-ended is really a way for management NOT to have to commit to anything. It's a very slippery slope (and, in my experience, a highly frustrating one). E.g. What do I need to do to get promoted? To get a raise? How about if I commit to X concrete plan with Y deliverables by Z date? You get non-committal responses that management can always snake out of after you uphold your end of the deal. Highly, highly frustrating, but absolutely nothing you can do about it.

There is definitely a contradiction in perception versus reality. For instance, how many hours you are physically present in the office counts for a lot more than it should (with no consideration for people's commute times, time spent working in the evenings and weekends, etc). You can sit in the office all day quietly playing video games until sundown and be perceived as a much harder worker than someone who works hard from 9-5 in the office and then goes home and does more work. That’s the sad reality. It’s not a shocker that people come in later and leave earlier when certain senior management is out of office.

This really hurts work/life balance because it is a known reality that you are evaluated based on your time in the office. This is really unfortunate and flies in the face of what an open, flexible startup culture should embody.

Stop posting the fake 5 star reviews. It's beyond obvious.

Startup Life

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work hard. This is the place to be. I like my coworkers...have you been at a company where you actually like your coworkers? It's a rare phenomenon.

Cons

It's a job. Sometimes it's stressful.

I don't think I actually have any valid advice. Running a startup seems like an impossible task and there's a plethora of self-contradictory useless advice I can fill this space with.

Good opportunities, amazing co-workers

Former Employee - Creative Manager
    Former Employee - Creative Manager

I worked at Guidebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Guidebook has a great culture. All of my coworkers were very excited about the product, and worked extremely hard (usually going above&beyond the job description). I was able to pursue projects that interested me, and was even encouraged to do so. The importance of self-sufficiency that someone else here mentioned is very true. It's definitely an environment that allows self-motivated people to thrive.

Cons

Hard work is rewarded, but that also means work&life balance is a bit on the fragile side. It's not mandatory to stay late, but a lot of the employees do. There is always a ton of work to be done.

Please increase pay for people who deserve it!

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A very large group of the smartest people I know. At previous jobs I was surprised at how dumb people could be and Guidebook is the antithesis of that. It's crazy how great everyone is at their job and so eager to help out others at the drop of a hat. Senior management is great and wants to know about issues with your job. I came to them about dissatisfaction with pay and the were able to resolve it. I would have liked it to be more proactive on their part but they came through. If you just complain to your coworkers your not helping yourself or the company morale (I do understand it can be difficult to just approach senior management but they aren't stand offish). They really do care about people here and want people to be successful.

The work/life balance can be tough because people are so passionate about their work. A lot is asked but people take days off whenever and no questions are asked. Take time if you need it and work hard, everybody wins. I love the flexibility to take a 3 day weekend whenever I want. Some people have even taken 3 week vacations, as long as you work hard and produce, nobody cares.

Awesome VP of Sales that makes me better at my job and enjoy work. Pushes you to work hard but never micro-manages. He really gets in the trenches with you to drive deals.

Cons

I know the pay was an issue for people and I feel like Guidebook is stepping to the plate on that. Being part of a company with minimal investment makes it tough to pay people outrageous amounts of money. Guidebook is very smart with it's money and that will allow everyone to reap the rewards come IPO/selling time. But I agree with the stinginess on pay and was unhappy with compensation until a few months ago.

I would say there aren't any cons now.

You guys are amazing and keep taking is to great places! Very excited to continue my career at Guidebook.

Incredible learning experience, fantastic co-workers

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Like any other start up, you have to be very self sufficient. Those that can start and finish a project on their own initiative with little guidance will truly thrive here. If you want someone to hold your hand, this is not the company for you.
    - Offices in SF and PA which is nice because you can work out of whichever office you'd like. Sometimes I feel like working out of SF and going out afterwards with coworkers, which is nice
    - Guidebook is a quickly growing startup. Personally I think this is great because to be a part of that is an incredibly educational experience. Working at a startup often means that you need to do things outside of your job description and in my case it has given me tons of valuable skills which I know will serve me well in the future
    - Guidebook has hosted some weekend company trips, which take place about every 4 months. This helps a lot in team bonding which is important especially when we are adding new people at such a fast rate. They are always fun, and they allow you to get to know your coworkers much better :)
    -Coworkers are truly phenomenal people. Everyone is smart, hardworking, and just good people. They are people that I will continue to keep in touch with if I leave Guidebook
    - Benefits : Full health benefits package, catered lunches 2x a week, stocked snack/drink area, yoga classes, 401k (but no matching yet), Caltrain GoPass, and tax benefits for Clipper card
    - Hard work is recognized and I feel appreciated by my manager.
    - Management definitely emphasizes quality work. They encourage everyone to do their best and because of it, our product and customer service is high quality.
    - Very flexible work hours
    - ability to work on projects that interest you. Guidebook is very supportive of that, you just need to have the initiative to start and finish those projects

Guidebook by no means is a perfect company, but I'm a better person after working here. I appreciate the opportunities that were presented to me and I love coming to work to spend the day with a group of silly, intelligent, awesome people. Guidebook is a workplace that definitely emphasizes a great work environment and so when we hire new people, the hiring team makes an effort to hire people that are not only competent and smart, but also people who will add to the company culture.

Cons

- We are growing quickly so we're experiencing some growing pains. SF office is getting a little crowded but we're looking for new spaces
    - No formal performance reviews have been established yet, which means that getting valuable feedback from your superior might be rare. From what I understand, a formal review process is being established currently so I expect that it will be remedied soon enough. In general, communication between managers and employees could be improved
    - Compensation is just okay
    - Open office layout which is a pro and a con. Pro because it does encourage interaction between employees across all the teams, but once in a while the offices can get a little loud.
    - in some positions there is no clear path for advancement

More communication between employees and managers. Continue to uphold the high standard for hiring new people. Reward the hard working employees and make sure that everyone feels appreciated.

Perfect work environment, fantastic team

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, very solid leadership, many growth opportunities, and the ability to directly influence company growth are just a few reasons I love working at Guidebook. Since starting here, I've met people from all walks of life united by their passion of helping people; while everybody here works very hard, each employee knows how to have some fun, too. The work-environment is very "friendly professionalism", and I think it contributes to a much happier and productive company.

Cons

Sometimes, important ideas are not conveyed nor discussed adequately between departments. This is on the up and up, but communication can always use improvement. I also feel like the compensation does not always match the work/productivity of the employees.

Continue to promote feedback on the company, and keep highlighting the growth opportunities afforded through hard work and through initiative-taking. Reward those who are contributing the most to bolster stronger work ethics!

Great company and talented people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Guidebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Guidebook for almost 3 years before moving out of the Bay Area so my spouse and I could be closer to our families. In the last 6 months, as Guidebook has experienced more success, they've done a great job adding more benefits (e.g. 401k, better healthcare plans, catered lunched, amazing drinks/snacks, company outings). They've also corrected a lot of the pay issues that a lot of startups suffer from when first getting off the ground. By the time I left my job, I believe I was paid above market rate. The company has a strong culture and managers encourage their team members to continue to develop their skills. Also, now that the company is larger (65 employees at the time I am writing this review), work life balance is much better.

Cons

Though the culture is strong, I think it should be officially spelled out. Also, Guidebook hires a lot of people with 0-2 years of work experience. I think Guidebook would benefit from bringing in a few managers with more experience (say 5-10 years).

Keep up the good work -- almost everyone I knew at Guidebook was incredibly happy, so try not to change too much as the company continues to grow!

Best Internship Experience

Current Employee - Python Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Python Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Learned alongside some of the smartest developers I know
    -Quickly became friends with everyone and the office has a culture of being very fun and accepting
    -Everyone is a peer, and even as an intern you are treated as an essential component
    -Just an outright fun experience, everyone is a great person, the offices are stocked full of fun things to do, and the work is challenging but rewarding

Cons

It was a bit of a commute for me sometimes which is rough, but besides that nothing was really bad.

Actions speak louder than (false) words.

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

**The sheer volume of positive reactionary reviews (a few of which are almost certainly fake/planted) that popped up LITERALLY overnight in response to a single less-than-stellar review of the company is staggering (and probably says more about the company than any review can express).**

Just wanted to provide a different perspective, and attempt to offer a balanced review with information that I wish I’d known about Guidebook before I applied. Hope this is helpful to any potential job seekers out there.

I met some awesome people at Guidebook, many of whom I kept in touch with after I quit. The people were definitely what I looked forward to going into work each day. The two stars are for the great people.

As mentioned in some of the other reviews, one perk is a stocked snack/kitchen area, which means that you won’t starve (even if you aren’t being paid that well). There is also a wide variety of surrounding food options for both offices.

There is flexibility to pursue projects that you are interested in, but as others have mentioned, the caveat is that it is completely and totally up to you to wrangle together the resources and time to see them through (I’ve noticed that this frequently comes at the expense of work/life balance).

There is no limit on vacation/sick time, which is nice, although in retrospect, this is also a smart business move that allows Guidebook to NOT to have to pay out vacation time/balances when people quit.

Cons

Compensation is below market rate. There’s no two ways about it. I feel like this was especially true for fresh college grads who lacked negotiation skills and/or were eager/desperate to land a full-time job. I understand that compensation is generally lower at startups, but there is low, and then there is grossly below market rate...

Emails that went out to certain teams, as well as to the entire company, achieved the exact opposite of the intended effect. Rather than motivating people and making them want to work harder, these emails demoralized and frustrated employees who were already giving 110%.

For instance, one email that was sent out to the entire company listed a select group of people who were called out as the “hardest” workers. This ended up being rather awkward for the people on the list, and maddening/frustrating for those left off of it. This incident was detrimental to team morale, and made the atmosphere in the office tense/uncomfortable for awhile. I understand that the intent was to motivate the team, but the delivery/execution/tone was completely off-putting and counterproductive. I can only imagine how it must have felt for the people who scanned the list and saw that everyone on their team was listed...except for them. It definitely left a bitter taste in people’s mouths, especially as people grew increasingly frustrated with the low comp and the long hours. The whole thing was ludicrous and demoralizing, and I don’t think a single positive came out of it.

Communication across teams could use some work. It seems like the sales team is consistently selling features that the engineers can’t reasonably deliver in the promised timeframe.

Treat your employees well. They work hard, and they deserve it. Learn how to motivate employees and make them feel valued. Don’t underpay them just because you can. (As mentioned earlier, this is especially true of new college grads who are eager to land a job. Any job.).

Be proactive about rewarding people for hard work (it’s one thing to promote this sentiment and another thing entirely to ACT on it). Be more upfront/forthright when asked about raises, promotions, etc. These are probably good long-term retention strategies. If the bottom line is what you truly care about, then you realize that constantly having to train new employees to replace ones who leave after short stints gets to be quite costly.

Smart employees can and will pick up and leave if they feel like they’re not getting what they deserve. Many have realized their worth and done just that. No need to keep drinking the Koolaid.