Guidepoint Global

Updated July 2, 2014
Updated July 2, 2014
2.3

Albert Sebag

Valid consulting opportunity once you understand the limitations

Former Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Guidepoint Global as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked for Guidepoint Global as a consultant for one of their investment bank clients. The hourly fees are selected by the consultant, so a good fee of $150+/hour for professional services is easily achievable. The application and invoicing process is done on-line and is very straight forward and easy. Excellent communication between Guidepoint and consultant to apply and schedule appointments. Terms and conditions emphasize ethical treatment of confidential information and are very clear.

Cons

Consultants need to realize that they are only paid for time spent on the phone with customers. This should be considered when setting your hourly fees. The Guidepoint terms even said that they would not pay for "waiting time" if your client is late for their scheduled call; this is the only negative term but is not right. Also, I had some initial problems submitting my application on line but they said it was a one-time anomaly that caused the problem, so I give them the benefit of the doubt on that issue.

Provide a way for Guidepoint's consultants to market their services to the many Guidepoint managers. It would be helpful to provide feedback to consultants based on client review surveys so the consultants can improve their services.

Someone once said the CEO is an Apathetic Sociopath. I agree

I have been working at Guidepoint Global

Pros

Having a Job in today's market.

Cons

There is NO camaraderie here. Everyone is for themselves and the minute you get to know someone they are out the door. The turn around is unbelievable. They are constantly hiring because people are constantly leaving. No one i know has a kind word to say about the overall vibe of Guidepoint.

Poor Management, Worse Pay

I have been working at Guidepoint Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are nice, pretty relaxed environment.

Cons

Pay is terrible, most people are looking for other jobs, HR is a joke.

Pay people what they deserve.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Guidepoint will continue to grow because it hires smart people and focuses on customer needs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Guidepoint Global full-time

Pros

The company is a meritocracy and those who produce according to its clearly defined metrics are rewarded. Guidepoint staff are almost uniformly smart and ambitious. Researchers and project managers have a unique seat from which to learn some of the factors that influence how business and investment decisions are made. It's definitely a good first job for people interested in business and the financial markets. Due to sustained growth of the company, management is investing in processes and technology and support staff to make it easier for staff to do their jobs well.

Cons

People are required to be in the office during set hours to do their jobs. (Management is making that more palatable by providing free snacks, offering a more relaxed dress code, and holding social events.). The New York office is located in a nice building with lots of amenities nearby, but the layout could be improved to facilitate teamwork. Starting salaries definitely could be higher.

Improve starting salaries. Continue to implement progressive policies and new employee perks.

Good experience stemming from hard work.

I have been working at Guidepoint Global

Pros

Great people. Everyone is young and smart and there's a sense of camaraderie amongst the employees. You can make pretty good money at a young age as a high performer and being aggressive is something that's received well. Like many jobs in your 20's, this isn't a 20 year career path. But if you recognize that going in and have reasonable expectations you will enjoy the job and create a good foundation for the next step.

The culture is improving rapidly due to recent good hires on the executive level. The business itself is in a growth phase and there's opportunity to make great connections in the finance world *if* you do good work for your clients.

Cons

Management can be stingy, but that's changing rapidly. There's a premium put on face time that's a bit unnecessary and the service employees need to at least be able to do their job from home in extreme situations. The job is a grind due to the nature of the business.

Take care of your good people sooner and recognize how important they are. They should not be treated like those who are not working hard and should be rewarded more than they are. The opportunity to make more money by doing more work does not create employee satisfaction. People need to be made to feel special and good about their efforts.

In summary - be proactive, not reactive. Give people a raise before they decide to go looking for another job. Continue recent efforts to improve the environment.

"... because it hires smart people and focuses on customer needs"? Sounds like a "review" by management.

Current Employee - "Research" (Aka Cold Calling)  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - "Research" (Aka Cold Calling) in New York, NY

I have been working at Guidepoint Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior management is passionate about keeping their jobs and saying yes to the CEO. Committed to ensuring 100% attendance, during hurricane Sandy for example. And committed to posting a new fluff piece here every couple of weeks to pump up the company rating.

Cons

Miserable work environment. It all comes down from the CEO, who brings his unhappiness into the office and spreads it generously.

Advice to management, other than "yes" will lead to being fired, so no advice can be offered.

Keep a low profile to succeed

I worked at Guidepoint Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours aren't terrible
    Good place for college graduates to start off in NYC as a launchpad for better companies.

Cons

- Apathy and fatigue dominate office culture - face time and arbitrary metrics determine reward/punishment.
    - Expect title inflation instead of a year end raise/bonus
    - All decisions stem from misinformed/aloof CEO
    - HR pretends to act as a neutral employee on Glassdoor to inflate the company's ratings. Actual opinions of the firm/CEO are much lower than ratings suggest.

Read other posts here - you'll get the idea

My overall experience with very good.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Guidepoint Global as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Well this was a contract job, and they contacted me when they had a cleint for me to consult.

Cons

I don't think there were any cons on my part with this company, everything was positive

I don't have any,

Underpaid and Underappreciated

I worked at Guidepoint Global as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are nice.
    Decent location near Grand Central.
    I suppose any paid internship is a plus, even if the pay isn't great.

Cons

Practically no opportunities to advance.
    Management doesn't seem interested in anyone outside their circle.
    Almost everyone there is dissatisfied with their job.

Increase pay and interact with employees more. To attract and maintain talent that is the minimal effort required.

Limited growth potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Guidepoint Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You understand the nuances of what the clients want.

Cons

Micromanagement. below-average compensation, limited growth opportunities.

Provide more competitive compensation packages.

Worked for Guidepoint Global? Contribute to the Community!