Guidewire

Guidewire Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu

Marcus Ryu

Pros:
  • "The company genuinely cares about work / life balance as well as employee productivity"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Want to have smart people working with you as peers"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is a common buzzword but not necessarily a reality"
    in 7 reviews
  • "I don't know about Sales or Professional Services"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very smart people working well together with a clear vision.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery rational decision decision making about organization and product. Very friendly people who are generally able to provide helpful opinions and criticism with the understanding we're on the same team working to the same goal. The management structure is relatively flat with enough coordination so the applications work well together and the company has a singular vision.

ConsThe worst part of my job is commuting to Foster City. It takes too long, is difficult traffic, and there's very few lunch options within walking distance.

Good rational company focused on achieving its mission

Implementation Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for less than a year

ProsThe compensation is good and there isn't a lot of 'fluff' to wade through in order to do your job. On the contrary, they expect you to be focused on success and they try to support you. Guidewire can do this because they try hard to make sure your goals are the company's goals, and the company's stated goals are its real goals.

ConsThe company does have high expectations and in certain areas, tight demands.

Working with good people on difficult problems

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGuidewire has really good people with a culture of working together well. There's a lot of respect between different departments so as a developer you know that the product managers and project managers will work with you to solve problems, and will trust your judgement on technical issues and estimates. There's a big emphasis on getting work done without any politics. If problems come up the attitude is always how can we fix it and prevent it in the future, never who can we blame.

ConsGuidewire has a lot of proprietary technology, which is a mixed blessing. It means you can work on technology you might not get to work on elsewhere but also means it's harder to use some of the newer tools

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The management transparency is inspiring - I feel included, a real stakeholder.

Software COnsultant (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe core principles of rationality, integrity and collegiality are more than principles - they are part of every decision, at least that is the express goal of management and employees alike.

ConsSometimes being a public company requires we make decisions that are less rational to those affected than they might be. We had a minor layoff and to the individuals it seemed harsh.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve lower level management in key decisions that affect them, to the degree possible.

One of the best software companies out there

Implementation Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

ProsGuidewire is committed to their customers (the P&C Insurance Industry) as well as their employees. You can be proud of the products, your coworkers and management.

ConsThere is a lot of talented people and few leave, so opportunities for advancement may not open up as much as expected, despite tremendous growth

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on scaling communication and team formation effectively to retain a culture of collegiality. Manage knowledge like an asset...drive the conversation with insights about the industry, your employees, customers and partners. Tell us what we can't know without leveraging insights from all of the corners of our ecosystem.

Still loving Guidewire after 5 years of working there

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn 25 plus years of working in tech, I can honestly say this is the first company I've worked for where I know its core values (collegiality, rationality, integrity) and believe that management and staff alike abide by them. I know it sounds corny, but we are collegial to the max. You never hear anyone say "that's not my job." I also fully trust our executive team. Marcus, the CEO, is brilliant and definitely a leader with integrity.

We've had some instances where a person in a manager role wasn't doing a great job. In most companies, that person would simply be let go. At Guidewire, I know of a couple of cases where former managers were invited to step into individual contributor roles instead of leaving the company. I really value this flexibility.

ConsI can't think of many cons. Sometimes Guidewire is slow to let someone go who isn't doing his/her job well and is not a good fit for the company. On a minor note, I disapprove of our jury duty policy: we're given just 3 days reimbursement for jury duty. I feel this discourages employees from doing their civic duty.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing now!

Great company to work, stocks are always up, values it's employees!

Office Manager (Current Employee)
Exton, PA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent Company! Secure, competitive pay, great benefits, excellent values, cares about it's employees, upper management is approachable which is rare but so especially nice about this company!

ConsI haven't found any cons yet as everything has been positive for me thus far. It has been a wonderful experience, the people are unusually great everywhere, all willing to help, answer questions, train, allowing room for advancement etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel so blessed to have been provided the opportunity to become a Guidewire employee. Keep up the great work!

Interesting, rewarding, and mentally challenging, solving difficult problems in a very supportive environment

Technical Writer (Current Employee)
Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

ProsSmart people, good salary and benefits, fast-paced, lots of opportunity to see that something needs to be done and do it. Recognition for good work or good efforts. Pride in being a member of a market leader with satisfied customers and excellent prospects for the future.

ConsNo privacy (open seating), inadequate personal space.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that employees who spend 2000+ hours a year in the office need more than a 5 x 3 foot space to accommodate their work and perhaps a few personal items they might want to look at to remind them of their loved ones.

A good place to work and grow

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of talented developers.
An actually useful review process.
A fun environment.
Good forums for feedback to management.
The CEO responds to email.
Developers are treated well.
Working at home for part of the time is okay.
Teamwork is highly valued.
There are opportunities to get trained, and a lot of people form study groups.
Everybody is very collegial and helpful; if you ask for help they won't leave you until the problem is solved.

ConsNo free lunch - it is a bit of a pain to get lunch every day.
There is a bit of a separation of the dev and the non-dev part. Not a lot of mixing is going on the devs actually work in a separate building.
The good management sometimes leads to inflexible budgets. Everything is planned and if you want to add later there has to be a real good explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare some more of the fruits of success with the workers.
Keep and keep improving the open communication between management and devs.
Make training more accessible.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

ProsI feel very fortunate to work for Guidewire. The job requires a lot, but there is always someone there to lend a helping hand when my workload gets to be too much. Everyone, including upper management, is kind, patient and willing to help out, as well as teach me along the way. It's refreshing to work here!

ConsThere is no tuition reimbursement, which I find to be a bit unfortunate. If they were offering tuition reimbursement, there is no doubt that I would be back in school now, learning and growing to be a more impactful employee.

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!

Guidewire Videos

Guidewire – Why Work for Us?

Join the Guidewire Team! Thanks for your interest! We're pleased that you're thinking of investing your time and energy with us. At Guidewire, a combination of humane working conditions, an excellent market opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guidewire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by Guidewire employees.