Guidewire

Guidewire Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu

Marcus Ryu

Pros:
  • "The company genuinely cares about work / life balance as well as employee productivity"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Want to have smart people working with you as peers"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is a common buzzword but not necessarily a reality"
    in 7 reviews
  • "I don't know about Sales or Professional Services"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Over a year in, still very happy with my choice to join the company

Sales Enablement (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

Pros-Honest, transparent leadership permeates throughout the company
-First-class products
-Top-notch co-workers
-Competitive compensation
-Impeccable customer success record

Cons-Middle management lacks some soft skills (top leadership recognizes this and is attempting to correct)
-Explosive growth in recent past has caused some operational issues

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have created a wonderful company, please don't let complacency creep in, or lose focus on what has made us successful - good people, good products, and customer success.

Best place I have ever worked

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt is professional, collegial and challenging. I have been here almost eight years, and it exceeds every place I have worked before.

ConsNothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Strong Company Values

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire for more than 5 years

ProsCustomer Success is always number. But Guidewire is really is serious about its values. Integrity, Rationality, Collegiality. This means that there is extreme trust among co-workers. The Company is also careful about who is hired, so you know that you can rely on your colleagues. Even when mistakes happen, there is never a hunt for who to blame. Everyone just pitches in to solve the problem.

ConsStill working on improving benefits to levels that are the norm in Silicon Valley

Account Director

Account Director (Current Employee)

ProsAccess to Senior Management
Visibility into all aspects of the company
Continued improvement to software

ConsThere are no downsides to working at Guidewire

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to operate as we have been. Great success has been achieved with this management style.

Best place I have ever worked: smart people, tough challenges, collegial and collaborative environment

Product Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNo nonsense environment, free of the negativity that so many silicon valley companies seem to have. After working at big companies and small ones in the bay area for the past 25 years, I can unequivocally say that this is the best company I have ever worked at.

ConsWe don't have as many "perks" as some silicon valley companies, but overall you have to decide how important that is to you. For me, working at a place where I like and respect my colleagues is much more important. I really do like my job, and that's worth a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing, it seems to be a winning formula: great sales, morale is great, environment is great.

Perfect place to work so far

Implementation Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat compensation
Incredibly helpful co-workers who go out of their way to help you when you have an issue
Clear definition for how to move up in the company
Interesting projects that change often
Oppurtunities to change your role in the company
Working on tools that make a real difference to our clients

ConsNeed to travel every week (if you are in professional services)
Some gaps in the documentation we use on a daily basis

Collegial environment, opportunity for growth and competitive pay

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros- Value retaining top talent; encourage employees to move within the company
- Challenge employees to succeed and reward accordingly
- Pay competitive wages, have good benefits and offer other perks and rewards
- Promote a good work / life balance
- Focus on only one target market - the P&C industry, and extends this focus globally

Cons- The sales cycles are very long, complex and challenging (but very much worth it!)
- The fast growth and success of the company has left some challenges around creating and maintaining effective processes and documentation

A place full of learning opportunities

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for less than a year

Pros* flexible work hours
* Study groups, clubs and seminars allowing you to learn new skills outside the daily work
* the release cycle is not short so it allows you to explore and do programming in the right way
*the business is going up. It looks like the upper management leads the company to the right direction
* from what I saw a lot of decisions are made through consensus, so people can feel participating.

Cons* as many others said, insurance is not a very interesting topic
* because of long release cycle and high customization of the product, it's not easy for a developer to get feedback from the real users. It makes developers harder to feel the impact of the products they are making.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep good work!

One of the best companies to work for in the bay

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

ProsFamily life balance, excellent pay and benefits, winning circle CEO, strong position to seize the market, very smart people, worldly workforce with great diversity. Good company values that aren't complete BS.

ConsLots of established teams so it takes time (2yrs+) to find growth path and get exposure for promotion; tends not to look inward for talent but rather recruit new talent

Advice to Senior ManagementPTO + sick time is great, but please don't force people to use PTO during the year holiday closure. That leave a bad taste in your mouth. Folks may end up starting at a deficit for the new year. Lame.

Still happy after nearly 9 years

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI continue to be very bullish on Guidewire's prospects, as we are maintaining the same consistent focus that we've always had on dominating our vertical market. Product Development has a very healthy culture in my mind, far healthier than any other organization I have ever been a part of, and it's great to be building the products that are driving our success.

ConsStress level has cranked up some since last year's IPO, and it feels like the balance between short-term and long-term focus is sometimes tipped towards the wrong end of the scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits are better, but still could stand some improvement to keep us reasonably competitive with the Facebooks and Google's of the world. In particular, bigger stock grants would be nice.

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!

Guidewire Videos

Guidewire – Why Work for Us?

Join the Guidewire Team! Thanks for your interest! We're pleased that you're thinking of investing your time and energy with us. At Guidewire, a combination of humane working conditions, an excellent market opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guidewire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by Guidewire employees.