Guidewire

Guidewire Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu

Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • The company genuinely cares about work / life balance as well as employee productivity(in 39 reviews)

• This company has grown to dominate the P&C insurance vertical, and shows no signs of slowing down(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not optimal especially for traveling employees(in 10 reviews)

• I don't know about Sales or Professional Services(in 10 reviews)

I've learned an immeasurable amount working with brilliant people on complex problems.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsSupportive & collaborative environment, without any micromanagement. Opportunity to change teams to match interests.

ConsAs a SF dweller without a car, the location isn't ideal, but it's bikeable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep resisting investor pressure - the company's done fine. And focus on increasing the engineer diversity - between product managers, QA, and other roles the dev floor looks diverse, but the engineers are less diverse than they could be.

Excellent, stable place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThoughtful, intelligent colleagues; excellent work-life balance; very stable company. Provides software to a very stable industry (insurance) that really needs the applications in order to function.

ConsNot much to say here -- doesn't have all the "perks" of some other companies like Google and Facebook, but those "perks" (cafeterias, bars, toys) seem mostly aimed at keeping people at work 100% of the time, which doesn't seem healthy.

asldkjflajdsf

Principal Technical Writer (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGuidewire Software has an incredible team of very bright software engineers. I get to work with and write about some modern and very technically advanced software. Guidewire is a place where my efforts are valued and good ideas thrive. Plus, I like working at a global software company that is growing significantly and becoming the dominant software provider in a very lucrative market. My future is bright at Guidewire.

ConsI live in San Francisco and the office is in Foster City. Wish there were better commute options between the two.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Guidewire Review

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsSuper smart and cooperative colleagues, supportive atmosphere, great work-life balance, and innovative work.

ConsLocation - distance from home.

By far the best company I have ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGreat management, smart colleagues, positive atmosphere, good work-life balance, employees are supported and nurtured, company is going places. Senior management is approachable and effective. Strong focus on ethics. Company philosophy is exemplified from top to bottom. Guidewire is the kind of company that makes you want to stay in for the long haul.

ConsStill experiencing some growing pains. Compensation is not competitive.

High level of intelligence and great, open teamwork

Senior Data Architect (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe entire company seems to live up to its values: "(1) We value integrity in everything that we do, (2) We are dedicated to rationality, (3) We prize collegiality" Good stock grants. Good parking garage. Good snacks. First hackathon was held recently (2013).

ConsIf you require privacy, you may not like the open-space dev environment. I think it's great and conducive to open communication and agile development.

An ambitious company with a single focus

Presales (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsRecruiting here is pretty good, so colleagues are high quality. There's a lot of exciting growth and therefore opportunities. Management actively works to recognize and fix problems; ops is actually quite good.

ConsRapid growth always introduces inefficiencies, and Guidewire is not immune to that. There is still work to be done to integrate the new office in Pennsylvania into the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful about spreading too thin with acquisitions.

Feels like a college or a university. Very smart coworkers, very good place to acquire new skills.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

Pros- Coworkers who are happy and proud to work here.
    - Work life balance.
    - lack of micromanagement.
    - Flexible work schedule.

ConsOpen work area, quite noisy, but most of my coworkers SAY they like it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease equity participation for newer employees.

The BEST company I have worked for so far

Director (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsCorporate culture is open, inclusive and encourages a diverse set of opinions and approaches to all situations. Associates are encouraged to get involved and all seem willing to assist their peers regardless of level. Development teams are innovative. Executive team is extremely accessible.

ConsCompany 401K match could use an upgrade but overall compesation is fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is a strength. Keep believing and doing what you are doing! It works. Recruiting and hiring prcess is very thorough. My personal experience was positive and also gave me a deep look into Guidewire as a result - overall the process was well done and should continue.

Amazing fulfilling experience

ProsThe culture is very collegial and positive. The work is challenging but there are very little roadblocks.

ConsTo date I haven't had a less than positive impression of things here.

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!