Guidewire

Guidewire Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu

Marcus Ryu

Pros:
  • "The company genuinely cares about work / life balance as well as employee productivity"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Want to have smart people working with you as peers"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is not optimal especially for traveling employees"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I don't know about Sales or Professional Services"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsThe people at Guidewire are friendly, supportive, and rational. The company is genuinely committed to Rationality, Collegiality, Integrity. The open environment fosters communication, the small teams encourage intense collaboration. Management genuinely cares about both the success of individuals and of the team as a whole. Agile processes with regular feedback cycles ensure that everyone has a voice in how we work, and in making that system of work more effective over time. This company has grown to dominate the P&C insurance vertical, and shows no signs of slowing down.

ConsThe absolute commitment to customer success occasionally creates pressure to put in crunch hours to ensure every customer is satisfied. While Guidewire generally does a great job with work/life balance, these unpredictable spikes could be alleviated if there were more spare capacity, the development team is stretching to reach all of the essential goals every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand development team (faster!) to increase slack capacity to respond to urgent customer needs.

I thought I was going to love this place, but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGuidewire made a smart and daring move in entering a market with a large number of established players. This runs counter to the "Blue Ocean Strategy" and conventional wisdom and they appear to be doing well as a result. There are a lot of industries where customers use legacy products from big players that are good candidates for a repeat of this business model. Marcus is an excellent CEO and has done a great job of establishing the vision and leading the corporate culture.

ConsSuccessful companies need to guard against arrogance. A humbler approach in dealing with colleagues and customers would help to create an even more appealing corporate culture. Prospective employees considering roles that require travel should be aware that some customers are a long way from a large airport and some projects require lengthy (11+ month) integrations, making it challenging to perform that onsite work. Finally, there should be more transparency about job titles and seniority.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware of crushing the excitement and optimism in new employees by: 1) not understanding the unique qualities that each employee brings to the organization, 2) assuming the established Guidewire way is the best way without a means for considering alternatives, 3) hiding behind the corporate values as a means of not having to practice them.

Growing Pains

Pros- Senior management very accessible
    - A lot of independence and flexibility in doing your job - what counts is the end result
    - Great colleagues, great work ethic

Cons- The working environment at HQ (product development, senior management, HR) is very different than what the Services people experience - actually, two very different worlds
    - Currently, Guidewire is trying to figure out growing pains - moving to a more Partner-led implementation model versus having Guidewire Service people and Client developers on-site, improving education
    - Keeping your product certifications current is very difficult (and a requirement of being a Service team member), given the billable time % expected
    - Work/Life balance in the Services team doesn't exist - it's 100% travel any way you look at it
    - Middle Management seems disconnected from the Service team in the field

Advice to Senior Management- Continuous training needs to become a reality
    - On-site/off-site rhythm is too intense for year long projects
    - Middle management needs to support their people on-site (not just be recipients of status reports)
    - Make true career paths available to all, not just "top performers"

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work at!

Alliance Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWork life balance, career path's adapt to the companies growth, global company, core values of collegiality, integrity, and rationality are actually followed,

ConsMany roles require travel, but many do not.

Best Company I've Ever Worked For!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsGuidewire has more than doubled the number of employees and revenues since I joined nearly 4 yrs ago and yet we have remained consistently focused on the P&C insurance industry, consistently focused on customer success, and consistent with our values. Obviously since we are a bigger organization with more products and teams, it is more complex than when we were a start up. The fact that we've gone public has not changed the way we work but has provided us with a financial incentive. All in all, the Product Development organization is very well run and I've learned a lot.

ConsThis isn't a high profile consumer application company like Facebook or Google so there isn't as much glamor, free food, or other over the top benefits. Product Development is probably not the best place for someone who expects to skyrocket to all new levels of authority and compensation in a short amount of time. You will have to earn your next position.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you've been doing. It appears to be working. Consider negotiating a corporate discount somewhere that really has an impact on people's lives.

Toxic company culture limits innovation and quashes open discourse

Foster City, CA

ProsThere are some great people here, some great teams and some genuinely are trying to do the very best for the customer and the company.

ConsCompany is suffering from growing pains and many of the original employees respond negatively to anything that is not "how Guidewire does it". There is a very strong class system mentality at this company, title means everything which is frustratingly exactly opposite of what they promote as their values. They hire senior, experienced people then expect junior work. Although hiring, there are so many people looking for new jobs and fleeing it's shocking. There is a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet expert leadership help to change HQ culture, set standards, and resolve significant IT and personnel issues.

A great place to feel good about the work you're doing

Pros- The company embraces the values of Rationality, Collegiality, and Integrity
    - The leadership has a passion for the company and customers which shines through the rest of the organization
    - The products work well, and our customers love us
    - There is very little ego here

Cons- We're not a start-up anymore or a big company with big benefits. But, we're finding our place, and I believe in the company

Guidewire really puts company values into practice: Integrity, Rationality, Collegiality

Foster City, CA

ProsThe head of engineering is smart, honest, and a nice guy. He's genuinely open to input from anyone. I saw him act on complaints at both minor and significant levels.

ConsThe product teams are starting to communicate / collaborate a bit better, but it's still a mess. There is a long way to go. Also a recent change in source control seems like it could have been implemented better. It'll be all good in the long run though - mistakes happen and transitions are hard. I do hope we learn and the next change with major impact on developers is better planned & gets more resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy not have some skip level one-on-ones? We are to big to get to talk to everyone at lunch/kitchen/thirsty thursdays.

Not the scrappy startup I once loved, but I'm still rooting for them

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGuidewire was founded on core values of integrity, rationality, and collegiality. Even now that I left, in keeping touch with those still there, I can tell these principles are still in their blood.

The top engineers are/were among the best I've ever worked with. I learned a lot.
    Through Guidewire I have made a majority of my closest friends over the recent years.

ConsI thoroughly enjoyed my time when Guidewire was far smaller, with a team of less than 100 engineers. People accomplished big things. I worry that as it has grown, it has allowed bureaucracy to run away such that you now have members of the engineering staff who are more interested in politics and process than actually getting tangible work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should pay more attention to engineers' career development. My growth stagnated in my final few years there, and resumed only once I moved off to a new job.

It could have been as simple as having a mentor who recognized my strengths and set a vision for how I could become a better engineer and leader. I know I had that potential, as it's evident in my recent growth. Additionally, my current employer gives me numerous motives and inspiration to improve myself.

I imagine that Guidewire has more of this potential on its team, but hasn't shown effort in investing in it.

Slippery slope

(Current Employee)

Pros1. Good work life balance for most in dev. Many work <40 hour week
    2. Relaxed environment for junior engineers as their managers have no stake in project delivery
    3. Long lunch breaks, flexible hours, wfh days

Cons1. Overpowered project managers led to short termism
    2. Senior dev management makes misinformed decisions constantly and is unaware of the consequences, busy fighting fires started by themselves
    3. PM organization is over politicized and lack vision
    4. QA does manual testing for the most part and causes bottle neck in release cycle. Product quality declined as developer test coverage dropping
    5, Engineers don't agree with each other and everyone wants to build their own stack. Poor performers drag down team morale
    6. people who only talk the talk rise up the ladder. Smart people adapt to manage up, form clubs or bite their tongue
    7. 90% of the work done by 10% of the people. Reward distribution is a different story
    8. lost talented people who walk the walk. SPOFs. Competitive advantage diminishing

Advice to Senior ManagementDenial ain't just a river in Egypt. Reform from the top down before it's too late.

Flag Review
    Guidewire VP, Product Development responded to this review Jul 1, 2014 EditDelete
    As head of our product development team I would like to thank you for your feedback and offer my perspective. The Guidewire team prides itself on living up to our core values of integrity ... More

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!

Guidewire Videos

Guidewire – Why Work for Us?

Join the Guidewire Team! Thanks for your interest! We're pleased that you're thinking of investing your time and energy with us. At Guidewire, a combination of humane working conditions, an excellent market opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guidewire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu. All 260 reviews posted anonymously by Guidewire employees.