Guidewire
www.guidewire.com Foster City, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Guidewire Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "The company genuinely cares about work / life balance as well as employee productivity"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Want to have smart people working with you as peers"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is not optimal especially for traveling employees"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I don't know about Sales or Professional Services"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Shipping quality code at a sustainable pace

Foster City, CA

ProsThe code you write ships. Priorities are stable, you know what you'll be working on tomorrow. Good planning and high quality reduce crunch time and fires. Strong product management team does a great job defining and prioritizing work.

ConsTwo-year release cycle. Not-invented-here syndrome. Decade-old libraries and frameworks. The lack of modern architecture makes it difficult for high-skilled engineers to apply their knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe sustainable pace of development and stable priorities are big assets, continue to protect them. Customers may not care about decade-old technology and a home-grown stack, but engineers like to maintain their marketability.

Very smart people working well together with a clear vision.

Foster City, CA

ProsVery rational decision decision making about organization and product. Very friendly people who are generally able to provide helpful opinions and criticism with the understanding we're on the same team working to the same goal. The management structure is relatively flat with enough coordination so the applications work well together and the company has a singular vision.

ConsThe worst part of my job is commuting to Foster City. It takes too long, is difficult traffic, and there's very few lunch options within walking distance.

Amazing commitment to customer success without burning out employees.

Foster City, CA

ProsSmart and disciplined coworkers. Products that customers love. Minimal corporate politics. Plentiful social events. Great salary and benefits. And it turns out that insurance is a more interesting domain that I expected it to be.

ConsThis is enterprise software for very conservative customers, so we have rather long release cycles (2 years between InsuranceSuite 7 and 8) compared to other places I've worked.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job I've ever had.

Senior Curriculum Developer (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsWorking on challenging projects, with interesting people, for a company that knows what it's doing and makes a profitable product. What's not to like?

ConsThere really isn't much downside. Sometimes I think management could give me a little bit more direction, but that's about it. Oh, and the toilet paper is neither absorbent, soft, nor strong, which is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the product line. We could make a bundle off health and life insurance.

Nothing better than loving coming to work and loving the people you work with and for.

QA Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly, collaborative atmosphere
    Always something new to learn and always someone to help.

ConsIf you are coming from a cube or office as a developer you are in for a change. Turns out change can be good.
    Commuting benefits compared to other companies are lacking. For example, no caltrain subsidiary or bus lines.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay competitive in the employee landscape of silicon valley. Make it easier to come to Foster City.

Good rational company focused on achieving its mission

Implementation Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe compensation is good and there isn't a lot of 'fluff' to wade through in order to do your job. On the contrary, they expect you to be focused on success and they try to support you. Guidewire can do this because they try hard to make sure your goals are the company's goals, and the company's stated goals are its real goals.

ConsThe company does have high expectations and in certain areas, tight demands.

Working with good people on difficult problems

Foster City, CA

ProsGuidewire has really good people with a culture of working together well. There's a lot of respect between different departments so as a developer you know that the product managers and project managers will work with you to solve problems, and will trust your judgement on technical issues and estimates. There's a big emphasis on getting work done without any politics. If problems come up the attitude is always how can we fix it and prevent it in the future, never who can we blame.

ConsGuidewire has a lot of proprietary technology, which is a mixed blessing. It means you can work on technology you might not get to work on elsewhere but also means it's harder to use some of the newer tools

Best company worked for, period!

Foster City, CA

ProsExtremely smart colleagues that are also always willing to help... just ask! Leadership thinks rationally and focuses on real use cases rather than someone's whims and fancies. At the same time, there is willingness to stretch limits of what enterprise software can do! You can literally feel that these folks have a passion to serve the P&C insurance industry!
    Work hours are flexible and working from home is okay, but working in office is so much fun I cannot think of working from home more than a day a week. Lots of freedom along with accountability. These folks take software quality very very seriously. There are code clean up days organized, and pair programming encouraged! Truly agile workplace. You are not only allowed but even encouraged to try out different roles and/or teams, rather than stagnate in the same role for years.

ConsNo free lunch like Google/Facebook. This would be a nice addition however this is not a deal breaker.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on rationality, but continue to be willing to re-define what "reasonable" means!

The management transparency is inspiring - I feel included, a real stakeholder.

Software Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe core principles of rationality, integrity and collegiality are more than principles - they are part of every decision, at least that is the express goal of management and employees alike.

ConsSometimes being a public company requires we make decisions that are less rational to those affected than they might be. We had a minor layoff and to the individuals it seemed harsh.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve lower level management in key decisions that affect them, to the degree possible.

Still loving Guidewire after 5 years of working there

Foster City, CA

ProsIn 25 plus years of working in tech, I can honestly say this is the first company I've worked for where I know its core values (collegiality, rationality, integrity) and believe that management and staff alike abide by them. I know it sounds corny, but we are collegial to the max. You never hear anyone say "that's not my job." I also fully trust our executive team. Marcus, the CEO, is brilliant and definitely a leader with integrity.

We've had some instances where a person in a manager role wasn't doing a great job. In most companies, that person would simply be let go. At Guidewire, I know of a couple of cases where former managers were invited to step into individual contributor roles instead of leaving the company. I really value this flexibility.

ConsI can't think of many cons. Sometimes Guidewire is slow to let someone go who isn't doing his/her job well and is not a good fit for the company. On a minor note, I disapprove of our jury duty policy: we're given just 3 days reimbursement for jury duty. I feel this discourages employees from doing their civic duty.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing now!

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!

Guidewire Videos

Guidewire – Why Work for Us?

Join the Guidewire Team! Thanks for your interest! We're pleased that you're thinking of investing your time and energy with us. At Guidewire, a combination of humane working conditions, an excellent market opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guidewire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by Guidewire employees.