Guidewire

Updated December 15, 2014
4.5

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance within the development organization (in 51 reviews)

• This is modeled from the executive management team all the way through (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't the greatest, but the management is working on improving this (in 12 reviews)

• Guidewire is experiencing some growing pains, which is expected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I recently started working with Guidewire and can't say enough good things about the company and the people. They really seem to live their values.

Cons

I honestly haven't seen any cons yet.

Keep up the good work. Guidewire is truly the best of the best.

A truly great engineering org.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I recently left Guidewire after nearly a decade for a very large company, for career-development and salary reasons.

Guidewire's core engineering culture remains exceptional and I would not hesitate to work for them again in an engineering role. Despite the kool-aid at the larger company I now work at, Guidewire remains the place where I was around the largest proportion of brilliant people, and even more importantly, with the fewest jerks and egotists.

Guidewire engineering has a tremendous emphasis on craftsmanship and quality. They also have huge flexibility with workstyle and time off, realistic deadlines -- no death-marches at release time -- and the company as a whole takes the customer focus and value "integrity" very seriously. They rarely over-promise, and they will do what it takes to make things right when something goes wrong.

Cons

There are three main concerns to engineering org:
    First, there have been some growing pains and since my departure there is a new SVP, so there is uncertainty about whether they'll be able to keep the culture intact while keeping up engineering velocity up at the same time. I think the outlook is positive, but having moved on I can't say for certain firsthand.

Second, with the "arms race" in salaries (and other compensation) between large employers around here, it seems like Guidewire has opted out - at least for old timers who've built seniority on the job. The same could be said about "perks" and other benefits although my own philosophy on such things is that I'd rather have a higher salary and fewer frills.

Lastly, for some people, insurance can be an inherently dull subject. Technical management mostly does a good job of trying to keep the focus on quality and process and for many people that's enough to keep things interesting -- there's a good division of work so that you can focus on what parts work for you, and you don't get say, sucked into the minutia of insurance specific business logic or financials if you're not so inclined.

I have a much more limited sense of the company outside engineering these days, but as of a few years ago when I worked more closely with other divisions things were very mixed depending on which.

Please catch up development salaries to market for existing employees (and new ones, if they're not already competitive.) Please work on better professional development opportunities for engineers and other technical employees.

Honest, Accountability, Integrity when it suits us

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

shares in the company which you are only allowed to vest at given times

Cons

If you like working crazy hours (but being told your work/life balance is important), get no recognition for your efforts (but be told that rewards are based upon merits), no time to grow because your priority is your customer, and then be told that because you didn't grow as an employee, you won't get the promotion your manager had dangled as a carrot, then guidewire is the place for you.

start being honest with and accountable to your staff, stop billing your customers for senior architect rates and send fresh out of training consultants

Still the one after all these years - great team, great cross-functional exposure and superb managers to collaborate

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Business Partner in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Business Partner in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professionally I work on a variety of projects that stimulate my curiosity and work with multiple departments. I am still amazed at how well we collaborate and accommodate one another, since we are so global and so busy.I feel a great deal of professional courtesy given to me to be successful. It lets me feel positive about my chances for success. Even when I have a hard challenge, and when the good of the group may trump the path of least resistance, I am comfortable we choose to strengthen the company over personal agendas. And when I fail, which we all do trying new things, I am given props for not shying away from hard things as long as I make rational decisions. To have control over my destiny, definitely adds to job satisfaction. I am pleased with our results. Seeing 15 of my hires get promotions in one region alone helps a lot. I imagine that their lives are greatly improved with a move here. That is critical for me to feel like I can be authentic about the company. Now if I could just click my heels together to teleport to all my colleagues on every continent, this place would be perfect!

Cons

There is nothing easy about being a successful, growing, global company. You have to be agile and you have to be open to changing with the needs of the business. On the positive side, I trust my team so we lighten the load for one another. We aren't afraid of trying big ambitious projects. On the contrary we are making tough changes to get scalability. I think I have grown a great deal professionally since I joined over five years ago. I am rewarded for my work.

Keep the interesting and powerful messages coming about our successful user group conference, our wins as a sales organization, our progress with our customers, and about how positive of an impact our product makes on the companies we serve. As an example, one of our customers took out a billboard to announce their successful Go Live. That is a first for me to see! That is something to talk about - our customers like us and continue to make the journey with us. This is still fun.

Great Environment

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People genuinely care about co-workers. There are lots of room for finding where you work best. You don't have to find a new employer to get a new job. There are lots of growth happening. Its nice to be at a place which isn't just trying to just stay afloat.

Cons

Not many people can stay alert and active when concerning insurance. One must find their own motivation when dealing with certain aspects of the job

excellent company

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constant Encouragement, Training and collaboration

Cons

Employee retirement benefits can be better than now.

Please keep doing what you are doing.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open discussing environment;
    Open mind top management team;
    Great opportunity to learn and improve;
    Very supportive teams;
    Great work-life balance.

Cons

Working with smartest people can be challenging sometimes;

n/a

Great market position and track record. Struggling to scale processes and systems.

I worked at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Developers and Professional Services consultants are well compensated. The company is growing.

Cons

Internal systems and processes are still reminiscent of a start-up and need to be replaced for the next wave of growth. This applies to some of the leadership as well. Limited analysis in decision making and lots of politics.

Define the outcomes you expect to achieve before embarking on significant projects. Compare expected business impacts of resourcing decisions across departments, as some are bloated and inefficient, while others are understaffed.

Success + Sanity

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Guidewire achieves the rare combination of success in the marketplace together with sanity in the workplace. Our customers are very happy with our products and services, which makes the work satisfying. And we're not afraid to continually work on modernizing our platform so that we don't stagnate.

Cons

The nature of enterprise insurance apps seems to imply long cycle times. By the time a customer has launched their implementation, they're already a release or two behind our active development, so feedback comes in slowly and engineers often have to context-switch between several old releases.

Consider ways to speed up the product feedback cycle, such as by shortening release schedules.

Best company I've work at

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Guidewire is a great company to work for. I especially like the fact that the company's values (collegiality, rationality and integrity) are clearly laid out and that they are applied equally at all levels. They help frame decisions and lead to better satisfaction for all involved.

The people are great too, with many solid engineers. I've learned much from my peers.

Cons

Nothing but nits that are not worth mentioning.