Guidewire

Updated December 15, 2014
4.5

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance within the development organization (in 51 reviews)

• This is modeled from the executive management team all the way through (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't the greatest, but the management is working on improving this (in 12 reviews)

• Guidewire is experiencing some growing pains, which is expected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great market position and track record. Struggling to scale processes and systems.

I worked at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Developers and Professional Services consultants are well compensated. The company is growing.

Cons

Internal systems and processes are still reminiscent of a start-up and need to be replaced for the next wave of growth. This applies to some of the leadership as well. Limited analysis in decision making and lots of politics.

Define the outcomes you expect to achieve before embarking on significant projects. Compare expected business impacts of resourcing decisions across departments, as some are bloated and inefficient, while others are understaffed.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Good compensation and benefits
    * Smart colleagues
    * Excellent work-life balance
    * Company is very strong financially

Cons

Provide more opportunities and motivate staff to continue developing their skills

Guidewire promotes the right attitudes to work together

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very open and supportive environment, people respect each other, lack of know-it-all types and I-know-best types, we use Agile Development and it seems to promote friendship with the people you work with, there is a nice mix of experience and less experienced engineers but the senior engineers are always willing to give time to the questions of he more junior people, there is a willingness to learn together. One great attitude is that when there is a problem, they say, "let's fix the problem" and everyone movers on. At some companies, the first question when there is a problem is, "who is to blame?". Also, it is easy to move around and work on different teams and projects.

Cons

It can take a long time to decide to move into new technologies. Benefits are average for the Valley. It would be nice to work from home more than one day a week. Really secure bike lockers would be nice but they say they are working on it.

Keep the culture we have even as we get bigger

A challenging, fun, rewarding, and flexible place to work.

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supporting, smart coworkers who routinely share their knowledge to help others be successful.
    Flexible and diverse work environment that accommodates employees' needs.
    Insurance software is much more interesting and much more complex than you might imagine.
    Constantly improving tools and infrastructure to support the ever expanding needs of both employees and customers

Cons

Rapid growth has brought the usual stresses - less access to top management, more bureaucracy, less knowledge about the diverse projects within the organization.

Great company

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company really does focus on its values (integrity, collegiality and rationality) in everything we do. It's refreshing to work for a company like this!

Cons

The only "con" I find is that they do not offer education reimbursement as a benefit.

Company that puts employees first!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Exton, PA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is no back-stabbing, "ladder climbing", etc is NOT the culture at Guidewire. Hard work is rewarded, and employees are consistently given the opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions to make it an even better place to work. Great salaries and bonus structures. Plenty of opportunity for professional growth in a variety of directions.

Cons

401K and healthcare (insurance) could be a little better, nothing to complain a ton about though.

Keep investing in your people and loyalty will follow.

Fantastic company with many opportunities to grow and have your voice heard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very receptive to employee feedback and will make changes accordingly. Additionally, management believes firmly in encouraging employees to further hone skills that make them better employees to Guidewire and future employers alike. Everyone works hard, but it also very friendly and enjoys a good laugh together. Top management is accessible to all.

Cons

As it's a growing company, there are some growing pains as not all teams within a department work cohesively together. In addition, some of the international teams probably need to be downsized as there are not ample accounts.

Keep up the great work! I love working here.

Best company I have ever worked for

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Empowering people
    - No politic in moving between teams
    - Transparent and reachable management team
    - Growth opportunity for both the company and the employees
    - Free beer on Thursday

Cons

- Insurance industry may not sound appealing, but there are lots of opportunity especially in analytics

- Retain the core value
    - Keep the culture the same while growing can be a challenge, but it is critical to retain the top talents

My experience at Guidewire has been very fullfilling and enjoyable. I hope I'm here for the remainder of my career.

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel respected and valued here. We work as a team and get things done. At the same time we all get along and have fun too.

Cons

Need more conference rooms to meet at headquarters.

Keep the FC headquarter's receptionist. She's been great. Not sure why we go through so many receptionists when they all have done a great job (at least with me). The last time there was a switch we experienced problems with orders. If they're good, keep em! I just pinged her to ask her last name, but turns out that she's gone too! The turnover in that position is strange.

Slipped from it's peak, still a fun place to work, but not as challenging or rewarding as cutting edge companies

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In a word: lifestyle. GWRE has really nice people and knows how to be low stress. They rarely fire anyone, no matter how much they slack. As long as you are competent and add some value, you can coast there for years.

Cons

Not cutting edge, not willing to make tough technical choices.

Most of their managers have not managed people before, and GWRE does not have programs to teach people how to manage.

The corporate values were good early on in the companies life, but they have not been emphasized. The tech team needs to be pushed to adopt new technology at a faster pace, and you need to either get real managers across the board, send your people to professional development, or bring in some good training.

You should also probably manage out or fire your bottom performers, slackers, and people that don't uphold the company values... What good are they if you don't reward people for exhibiting them, and punish when they aren't?

You are not operating in a paranoid enough manner. Invest in some skunkworks projects to disrupt your own tech stack, or your competitors will take your crown away from you. Consider separating things out, deploying in the cloud, or using new tech like Scala, node, etc.

Whatever you do, demand more output from your engineering team. They've been sitting on their laurels for years now.