Guidewire Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
4.4

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • great work/life balance, which is visible when you see only a few people in the office on Fridays (in 42 reviews)

• Want to have smart people working with you as peers (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not optimal especially for traveling employees (in 11 reviews)

• Guidewire is experiencing some growing pains, which is expected (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Guidewire Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance and a lot of experienced engineers to learn from. I was given a a very open project that required a lot of responsibility from me in designing the project. If I had an idea, I had the ability to propose it and then just run wild with it. Made me feel at home with a lot of intern events and and good mentors. Good pay and relocation benefits.

Cons

Not many people in the office on Fridays since most people work from home.

Rational and low drama, with a management team that walks the walk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Guidewire delivers on all the elements that should matter most to us as professionals: work on challenging problems that matter for real organizations and society, a collaborative culture with like-minded colleagues, and opportunities for growth and reward - all within the frame of a stable and long-term strategy. I feel like the company is a rare bird in the tech world: substantial in scale (>$350m in revenue, with a market value currently around $3 billion), growing pretty quickly, but not huge or well-known among consumers or even people in software. Over the last year or so the company has announced a significant expansion of its scope, which makes a lot of sense and provides a lot of scope for growth.

Cons

The work can be stressful because customers are very demanding, and often create their own problems. The code base is now very large and complex, and there is a ton of work to keep it from swamping forward progress in features. The management team understands that software engineering is hard and requires a lot of smart people working hard over a long period of time, but it does feel as though we're always short-staffed, despite considerable hiring efforts underway.

Preserve the many, many good things happening in the company, retain the core of values, and please over-communicate.

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Recruiter in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, work/life balance and working with amazing talented people

Cons

No cons that I can think of

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior QA Automation Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Automation Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They hire great people, the focus is on low drama and getting things done, and the work/life balance is amazing.

Guidewire's three core values are Integrity, Rationality, and Collegiality, and they really live them out in their interactions with customers and fellow employees. The focus is on being truthful with customers and each other, making well considered decisions after considering all relevant input, and treating colleagues with respect.

Also Guidewire is *very* flexible with working hours, and there are numerous stress relieving options available, such as bridge, guitar playing, running, meditation, and a weekly beerfest called Thirsty Thursday. We also have started a yearly two-day hackathon where employees can work on personal projects and explore new technologies.

Cons

There's not always a lot of opportunities to work on the sexiest new technology. A lot of home-grown technologies don't necessarily translate into job skills in the wider market (although some of these are gradually being retired). Also need more career path opportunities (we have begun to address this for developers, but QA could use an SDET option).

Put some more thought into employee career paths, especially in Development.

Excellent Company (A rare find)!

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Guidewire has strong company values and culture with a passion for customer satisfaction. Colleagues are great to work with and there are plenty of opportunities to grow and learn. GW executives are open and engaging. Joining the team can be a long process, but there is a huge emphasis on fitting in with the company culture. GW is one of the best companies I've worked for.

Cons

Referring friends can be a challenge. It's embarrassing when the recruiting team is slow to respond (if at all)--especially when they say they will. I'm holding off for now.

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is run as I would run my own company. A few important points:

- Decisions made at the lowest level: no decrees from above
    - Teams decide how they're going to operate. There are some norms, but virtually nothing is dictated.
    - 1st line product managers own their products: they decide what goes in each release, and are trusted to make the right decisions.
    - Schedules are bottom-up, so there's no "we have to do X, Y, and Z in the next release and it has to be in February". It's a negotiation about content, schedule, and resources that is respectful and sane.
    - An egalitarian environment. Everyone's opinions matter, and there's very little hierarchy. New college grads and VPs sit side-by-side on our open plan environment.
    - The company values of collegiality, rationality, and integrity are real, not corporate marketing crap. Everyone is measured against these values, and we really live them. I feel like the company makes decisions based on data, that people care about taking care of each other, and the company tells the truth to employees and customers.
    - We have fun!

Cons

Sometimes it's a bit chaotic because there aren't as many standards.

As the company grows, don't lose the culture of the small company

Intense, instructive and rewarding experience

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great colleagues
    - Very smart people
    - Everybody is working very hard
    - Great work ethic
    - Management very accessible
    - Result-oriented
    - Lot of flexibility

Cons

- The company grows, and it is noticeable

Intelligent and Driven senior management team

Current Employee - Won't Say in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Won't Say in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been at guidewire less than a year. From the perspective I feel that the (1) sr execs are incredibly sharp and experienced and work well together (2) people care about what we are trying to accomplish in the market place (3) we're winning

Cons

As the company continues to grow (1) the ways of doing things in the past don't necessarily work. so either people have to grow into new roles or leave (2) be wary of politics..a lot of it can be directly attributed to senior management not leading teams properly

Make sure as we continue to hire people who care about the company being successful over everything else. I feel like politics is creeping into the org at an increasing pace.

Guidewire - a great place to work for a new hire who isn't used to being a new hire!

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was first attracted to the company out of curiosity, because I knew they were a winner. However, I was drawn to Guidewire once I learned about their mission, goals and values and met their people. The training program for new hires is incredible. I'll have to confess that I had not changed jobs in over 30 years, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect going to a new company.

Cons

So far, all of my experiences at Guidewire have been positive. My only advice to new hires is to come in with an open mind and ready to learn new ways of doing things and you'll have an incredible experience.

Continue to adhere to Guidewire's mission, goals and values, and your employees will continue to be passionate about working for Guidewire.

This is a dream team!

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have spent all of my prior career in large corporations, and I can't believe it took me this long to discover how engaging and fun it can be to work in a company this size. My manager and team are the best I've had in my career. A positive atmosphere of teamwork, collaboration, hard work, results, and fun are common across the organization.

Cons

As Guidewire continues to grow, challenges arise in scaling the company to meet the needs of a bigger organization. But typical to Guidewire culture, the management team seem to embrace and strategize about how to grow and maintain the best elements of the culture of Guidewire at the same time.

Continue more of the same with a focus on developing the best management team that you can at all levels. It's the key to keeping the best elements of Guidewire intact across a larger organization.