Guidewire

www.guidewire.com

Great company

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company really does focus on its values (integrity, collegiality and rationality) in everything we do. It's refreshing to work for a company like this!

Cons

The only "con" I find is that they do not offer education reimbursement as a benefit.

Company that puts employees first!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Exton, PA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is no back-stabbing, "ladder climbing", etc is NOT the culture at Guidewire. Hard work is rewarded, and employees are consistently given the opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions to make it an even better place to work. Great salaries and bonus structures. Plenty of opportunity for professional growth in a variety of directions.

Cons

401K and healthcare (insurance) could be a little better, nothing to complain a ton about though.

Keep investing in your people and loyalty will follow.

Fantastic company with many opportunities to grow and have your voice heard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is very receptive to employee feedback and will make changes accordingly. Additionally, management believes firmly in encouraging employees to further hone skills that make them better employees to Guidewire and future employers alike. Everyone works hard, but it also very friendly and enjoys a good laugh together. Top management is accessible to all.

Cons

As it's a growing company, there are some growing pains as not all teams within a department work cohesively together. In addition, some of the international teams probably need to be downsized as there are not ample accounts.

Keep up the great work! I love working here.

As a software engineer intern last summer, I would gladly say I loved it here

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They really took care of me and cared about my learning experience. They taught me invaluable knowledge about the tech industry and for that, I am forever grateful.

Cons

Some of the challenges include finding a balance between mentorship time and time developing on our own, since the developers here are very busy.

Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Empowering people
    - No politic in moving between teams
    - Transparent and reachable management team
    - Growth opportunity for both the company and the employees
    - Free beer on Thursday

Cons

- Insurance industry may not sound appealing, but there are lots of opportunity especially in analytics

- Retain the core value
    - Keep the culture the same while growing can be a challenge, but it is critical to retain the top talents

Great people and great culture

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work with lots of smart people on products that are used by people all over the world.
    Excellent work-life balance within the development organization.
    People are empowered to make decisions and get work done.

Cons

We're experiencing some growing pains with figuring out how to best utilize our resources, which can be frustrating.

Don't ever turn off the recruiting pipeline again.

Great development culture, honest people and great management/leadership

Current Employee - Software Development in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Feeling of appreciation for what you do, even as an individual contributor. That means a lot.
    - Successful company, successful paying customers, stable industry (insurance) with deep pockets.
    - Honesty and integrity go a long way. There's no lying to customers about what the product does.
    - Great development teams
    - Work-life balance. Yes I sound like everyone else writing reviews here, but it really is true. There is just not pressure on me to work all the time. You work hard, but don't feel like you have pressure to be a workaholic or sit in the office all the time or be on email all the time.
    - Free. Food. Lots. But you may gain weight. They seem to like sharing cakes, donuts and lots of bagels all the time. Plus they have pizza on Fridays for Thirsty Thursday.
    - Nice scenic views of northern Silicon Valley
    - First exit off San Mateo bridge (going west). A bit of a relief for the people in the East Bay.
    - Friendly people
    - WAH (Work at Home) once per week. Nice policy. Not more, not less. Once per week. This is the 21st century people, thank you Guidewire for not following Yahoo! (!)
    - People are quiet, don't play political games, are serious about their work, and produce quality results. Substance over style.

Cons

- Long commutes for people in San Jose, East Bay, or North Bay, and commuting seems to get worse as time goes on (in the last few years)
    - No ability to plug in your EV (Electric Vehicle) in the building's parking lot or nearby buildings (to my knowledge)
    - Foster City can be a strange boring place with not many good restaurants or lunch places near the office
    - Some HR staff are less than helpful or responsive or knowledgable
    - A bit of aloofness from "veteran" employees. So watch out new hires, they may look down their nose at you. (But isn't this true of any software company?)
    - Finding information on products/features can be a challenge

- Thank you for sticking to your principles and making this a great place to work with great products and picking a great industry to serve
    - Thank you for serving a good industry that is doing well for the world

My experience at Guidewire has been very fullfilling and enjoyable. I hope I'm here for the remainder of my career.

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel respected and valued here. We work as a team and get things done. At the same time we all get along and have fun too.

Cons

Need more conference rooms to meet at headquarters.

Keep the FC headquarter's receptionist. She's been great. Not sure why we go through so many receptionists when they all have done a great job (at least with me). The last time there was a switch we experienced problems with orders. If they're good, keep em! I just pinged her to ask her last name, but turns out that she's gone too! The turnover in that position is strange.

Sr. Implementation Architect

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Architect

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Company takes care of my problems
    - a very promising company
    - working on new products
    - very particular about keeping customers happy

Cons

- trying to grow too fast
    - wish the management will be careful about recruiting right people

- keep on doing what you did for last ten years

Excellent Company (A rare find)!

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Guidewire has strong company values and culture with a passion for customer satisfaction. Colleagues are great to work with and there are plenty of opportunities to grow and learn. GW executives are open and engaging. Joining the team can be a long process, but there is a huge emphasis on fitting in with the company culture. GW is one of the best companies I've worked for.

Cons

Referring friends can be a challenge. It's embarrassing when the recruiting team is slow to respond (if at all)--especially when they say they will. I'm holding off for now.