Guidewire Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Company that puts employees first!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Exton, PA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no back-stabbing, "ladder climbing", etc is NOT the culture at Guidewire. Hard work is rewarded, and employees are consistently given the opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions to make it an even better place to work. Great salaries and bonus structures. Plenty of opportunity for professional growth in a variety of directions.

Cons

401K and healthcare (insurance) could be a little better, nothing to complain a ton about though.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and loyalty will follow.

2. Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Empowering people - No politic in moving between teams - Transparent and reachable management team - Growth opportunity for both the company and the employees - Free beer on Thursday

Cons

- Insurance industry may not sound appealing, but there are lots of opportunity especially in analytics

Advice to Management

- Retain the core value - Keep the culture the same while growing can be a challenge, but it is critical to retain the top talents

Still the best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A team full of talented people working on surprisingly challenging and fun features - The hierarchy has become deeper but still feels very flat. Every manager in the whole chain of command is willing to accept feedback and talk in person. This includes the CEO. - The work-life balance is exceptional. This does not mean that the team is a bunch of slackers but rather that the trust put in employees means that the flexibility on work hours is enormous. This is probably the number one reason why we are able to retain the top talent that we have - Very open communication throughout the company. The CEO is an incorporation of our company values collegiality, rationality and integrity

Cons

The compensation is good but does not compete with Google, Facebook et al.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture and work-life balance. There are opportunities to move up or horizontally between groups. Upper management is focused on long-term vision.

Cons

Lots of proprietary technologies and frameworks and heavy customization of the web frameworks renders feature development and maintenance difficult. Long ramp-up time for new employees.

6. My experience at Guidewire has been very fullfilling and enjoyable. I hope I'm here for the remainder of my career.

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel respected and valued here. We work as a team and get things done. At the same time we all get along and have fun too.

Cons

Need more conference rooms to meet at headquarters.

Advice to Management

Keep the FC headquarter's receptionist. She's been great. Not sure why we go through so many receptionists when they all have done a great job (at least with me). The last time there was a switch we experienced problems with orders. If they're good, keep em! I just pinged her to ask her last name, but turns out that she's gone too! The turnover in that position is strange.

A challenging, fun, rewarding, and flexible place to work.

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supporting, smart coworkers who routinely share their knowledge to help others be successful. Flexible and diverse work environment that accommodates employees' needs. Insurance software is much more interesting and much more complex than you might imagine. Constantly improving tools and infrastructure to support the ever expanding needs of both employees and customers

Cons

Rapid growth has brought the usual stresses - less access to top management, more bureaucracy, less knowledge about the diverse projects within the organization.

Great company

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really does focus on its values (integrity, collegiality and rationality) in everything we do. It's refreshing to work for a company like this!

Cons

The only "con" I find is that they do not offer education reimbursement as a benefit.

9. Great market position and track record. Struggling to scale processes and systems.

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Developers and Professional Services consultants are well compensated. The company is growing.

Cons

Internal systems and processes are still reminiscent of a start-up and need to be replaced for the next wave of growth. This applies to some of the leadership as well. Limited analysis in decision making and lots of politics.

Advice to Management

Define the outcomes you expect to achieve before embarking on significant projects. Compare expected business impacts of resourcing decisions across departments, as some are bloated and inefficient, while others are understaffed.

Guidewire is remarkably consistent in its mission, its culture, and its people.

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Although some of the usual corporate bureaucracy has crept in, Guidewire is remarkably transparent, non-hierarchical, and rationally managed for a company with over 1,000 people. The management of the company has been very stable for close to a decade. There have been a few top-level executive changes (including very good ones like Mike P. and Scott R.), but the mid- to upper-level managers are almost entirely grown from within. For example, the entire second level of services managers have been at Guidewire for at least seven years and came up through the ranks. The same is true of the development organization. As a result, the culture has been very stable over the years. There is a tremendous level of commitment to customer success that is felt throughout the organization. It's the kind of thing that every company says they have, but at Guidewire people really believe it. Marcus is a fantastic CEO: very approachable, very clear, a great communicator. From an overall business perspective, Guidewire is doing fantastically well for a company you've probably never heard of.

Cons

The company has challenges keeping up with growth in a few areas. With added business complexity, it's getting harder to make prioritization decisions, and harder for employees to understand how all the pieces fit together. Some policies have been unclear, like the one for consultants on transfers from one region to another. (That one in particular was recently fixed, but there are probably others.)

Smart people, small egos and an emphasis on quality outcomes.

Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never seen a company make such an explicit commitment to humility- seriously, the worst thing you can be called here is arrogant. They would rather do less and do it right than any place I have ever worked in 19 years of software companies. I love how considered they are, how well thought out, planned out and tightly choreographed everything is. Things that people wing in other companies are not left up to chance here- partly because the sales cycle is so long and partly because they care about doing things right. And that's the core culture. Beyond that, the people are just the greatest. Super smart, super committed, good sports about things that might go awry. You are likely to get into neat and interesting conversations with anyone you run into, and you are more likely to be thanked for your hard work than anywhere you've worked before.

Cons

I joke that we are tragically unhip. The place does not have an energetic, forward thinking, hyper-growth vibe, for better or for worse. I also get pretty lonely on my floor- lots of people work from home most of the time, and there isn't a gentle hub bub of activity. We have a reputation for collegiality but it's hard to create that when you don't sit next to anyone. Also, the HQ location is a little sterile and suburban, if you are used to something walkable.

Advice to Management

Watch out! This transition from upper-right-hand-quadrant quality core product base to a diversified solutions portfolio is the stumbling ground for any enterprise software company moving from $350 million to 1 billion. You can see it in how we are rolling out Mobile & Portals- we thought we'd have years to get it right and that our customer base would be slow to adopt but the opposite has happened and we are behind the curve. Nothing we can't pull off in the end, but we should be paying as close and as explicit attention to managing the complexity behind product diversification as we do to managing releases of core product.

RSS Feed </> Embed