Guidewire

www.guidewire.com

Guidewire Intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and a lot of experienced engineers to learn from. I was given a a very open project that required a lot of responsibility from me in designing the project. If I had an idea, I had the ability to propose it and then just run wild with it. Made me feel at home with a lot of intern events and and good mentors. Good pay and relocation benefits.

Cons

Not many people in the office on Fridays since most people work from home.

Rational and low drama, with a management team that walks the walk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Guidewire delivers on all the elements that should matter most to us as professionals: work on challenging problems that matter for real organizations and society, a collaborative culture with like-minded colleagues, and opportunities for growth and reward - all within the frame of a stable and long-term strategy. I feel like the company is a rare bird in the tech world: substantial in scale (>$350m in revenue, with a market value currently around $3 billion), growing pretty quickly, but not huge or well-known among consumers or even people in software. Over the last year or so the company has announced a significant expansion of its scope, which makes a lot of sense and provides a lot of scope for growth.

Cons

The work can be stressful because customers are very demanding, and often create their own problems. The code base is now very large and complex, and there is a ton of work to keep it from swamping forward progress in features. The management team understands that software engineering is hard and requires a lot of smart people working hard over a long period of time, but it does feel as though we're always short-staffed, despite considerable hiring efforts underway.

Preserve the many, many good things happening in the company, retain the core of values, and please over-communicate.

Challenging and Interesting

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The biggest strengths are working with smart, professional people on interesting projects. There is excellent work life balance, which reflects the calm environment in which we work day-to-day. People treat each other with respect and overall things are not very stressful.

Cons

Our products are very complicated and it can take a long time to fully understand what's going on. This makes onboarding new hires tricky. Some people don't have the patience to really dig in and learn the different features.

Great company culture.

Current Contractor - Marketing Coordinator in Foster City, CA
    Current Contractor - Marketing Coordinator in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Managers don't micro manage, co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with, basic tech company perks (nothing fancy), great location, lots of opportunity for advancement. The hiring process took an exorbitant amount of time, but now that I'm here, I couldn't be happier!

Cons

Hiring process was not efficient at all. Negotiating was frustrating as I was originally offered something that couldn't be delivered. They originally made it seem like they wanted me to start right away, but the process was dragged out several months (mostly due to lack of response on their end and the ridiculous back and forth).

A great place to work with great people.

Current Employee - Principal Implementation Architect
    Current Employee - Principal Implementation Architect

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is transparent, lacking politics of other organizations. Work with the best colleagues in the business. Opportunities for professional growth, travel and choices for development as a technical leader, people manager or both. Competitive compensation package.

Cons

We are growing fast and still building our infrastructure, so sometimes it is hard to find the right resources. Compensation is great in most regards, but the 401k matching could be better.

We need better definition around career path in some areas. More competitive 401k match to round off an otherwise great compensation package.

Guidewire - a great place to work for a new hire who isn't used to being a new hire!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was first attracted to the company out of curiosity, because I knew they were a winner. However, I was drawn to Guidewire once I learned about their mission, goals and values and met their people. The training program for new hires is incredible. I'll have to confess that I had not changed jobs in over 30 years, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect going to a new company.

Cons

So far, all of my experiences at Guidewire have been positive. My only advice to new hires is to come in with an open mind and ready to learn new ways of doing things and you'll have an incredible experience.

Continue to adhere to Guidewire's mission, goals and values, and your employees will continue to be passionate about working for Guidewire.

This is a dream team!

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have spent all of my prior career in large corporations, and I can't believe it took me this long to discover how engaging and fun it can be to work in a company this size. My manager and team are the best I've had in my career. A positive atmosphere of teamwork, collaboration, hard work, results, and fun are common across the organization.

Cons

As Guidewire continues to grow, challenges arise in scaling the company to meet the needs of a bigger organization. But typical to Guidewire culture, the management team seem to embrace and strategize about how to grow and maintain the best elements of the culture of Guidewire at the same time.

Continue more of the same with a focus on developing the best management team that you can at all levels. It's the key to keeping the best elements of Guidewire intact across a larger organization.

Mature staff of employees

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stable company with great core values.

For a software company, it will weather a recession in good standing.

Cons

Very flat org, so titles are not focused on; but dont let that distract you.
    Most importantly, there are many opportunities, and its what you make of it.
    (it is hard to see this from the outside)

We have a low attrition rate, we should publish some numbers to show it.

Intelligent and Driven senior management team

Current Employee - Won't Say in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Won't Say in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been at guidewire less than a year. From the perspective I feel that the (1) sr execs are incredibly sharp and experienced and work well together (2) people care about what we are trying to accomplish in the market place (3) we're winning

Cons

As the company continues to grow (1) the ways of doing things in the past don't necessarily work. so either people have to grow into new roles or leave (2) be wary of politics..a lot of it can be directly attributed to senior management not leading teams properly

Make sure as we continue to hire people who care about the company being successful over everything else. I feel like politics is creeping into the org at an increasing pace.

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Recruiter in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, work/life balance and working with amazing talented people

Cons

No cons that I can think of