Guidewire

Updated November 12, 2014
4.5

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance within the development organization (in 51 reviews)

• This is modeled from the executive management team all the way through (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't the greatest, but the management is working on improving this (in 12 reviews)

• Guidewire is experiencing some growing pains, which is expected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

167 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Still the one after all these years - great team, great cross-functional exposure and superb managers to collaborate

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Business Partner in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Business Partner in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professionally I work on a variety of projects that stimulate my curiosity and work with multiple departments. I am still amazed at how well we collaborate and accommodate one another, since we are so global and so busy.I feel a great deal of professional courtesy given to me to be successful. It lets me feel positive about my chances for success. Even when I have a hard challenge, and when the good of the group may trump the path of least resistance, I am comfortable we choose to strengthen the company over personal agendas. And when I fail, which we all do trying new things, I am given props for not shying away from hard things as long as I make rational decisions. To have control over my destiny, definitely adds to job satisfaction. I am pleased with our results. Seeing 15 of my hires get promotions in one region alone helps a lot. I imagine that their lives are greatly improved with a move here. That is critical for me to feel like I can be authentic about the company. Now if I could just click my heels together to teleport to all my colleagues on every continent, this place would be perfect!

Cons

There is nothing easy about being a successful, growing, global company. You have to be agile and you have to be open to changing with the needs of the business. On the positive side, I trust my team so we lighten the load for one another. We aren't afraid of trying big ambitious projects. On the contrary we are making tough changes to get scalability. I think I have grown a great deal professionally since I joined over five years ago. I am rewarded for my work.

Keep the interesting and powerful messages coming about our successful user group conference, our wins as a sales organization, our progress with our customers, and about how positive of an impact our product makes on the companies we serve. As an example, one of our customers took out a billboard to announce their successful Go Live. That is a first for me to see! That is something to talk about - our customers like us and continue to make the journey with us. This is still fun.

Success + Sanity

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Guidewire achieves the rare combination of success in the marketplace together with sanity in the workplace. Our customers are very happy with our products and services, which makes the work satisfying. And we're not afraid to continually work on modernizing our platform so that we don't stagnate.

Cons

The nature of enterprise insurance apps seems to imply long cycle times. By the time a customer has launched their implementation, they're already a release or two behind our active development, so feedback comes in slowly and engineers often have to context-switch between several old releases.

Consider ways to speed up the product feedback cycle, such as by shortening release schedules.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture and work-life balance. There are opportunities to move up or horizontally between groups. Upper management is focused on long-term vision.

Cons

Lots of proprietary technologies and frameworks and heavy customization of the web frameworks renders feature development and maintenance difficult. Long ramp-up time for new employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open discussing environment;
    Open mind top management team;
    Great opportunity to learn and improve;
    Very supportive teams;
    Great work-life balance.

Cons

Working with smartest people can be challenging sometimes;

n/a

Great company to work for

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Good compensation and benefits
    * Smart colleagues
    * Excellent work-life balance
    * Company is very strong financially

Cons

Provide more opportunities and motivate staff to continue developing their skills

Guidewire promotes the right attitudes to work together

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very open and supportive environment, people respect each other, lack of know-it-all types and I-know-best types, we use Agile Development and it seems to promote friendship with the people you work with, there is a nice mix of experience and less experienced engineers but the senior engineers are always willing to give time to the questions of he more junior people, there is a willingness to learn together. One great attitude is that when there is a problem, they say, "let's fix the problem" and everyone movers on. At some companies, the first question when there is a problem is, "who is to blame?". Also, it is easy to move around and work on different teams and projects.

Cons

It can take a long time to decide to move into new technologies. Benefits are average for the Valley. It would be nice to work from home more than one day a week. Really secure bike lockers would be nice but they say they are working on it.

Keep the culture we have even as we get bigger

Fantastic company with many opportunities to grow and have your voice heard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very receptive to employee feedback and will make changes accordingly. Additionally, management believes firmly in encouraging employees to further hone skills that make them better employees to Guidewire and future employers alike. Everyone works hard, but it also very friendly and enjoys a good laugh together. Top management is accessible to all.

Cons

As it's a growing company, there are some growing pains as not all teams within a department work cohesively together. In addition, some of the international teams probably need to be downsized as there are not ample accounts.

Keep up the great work! I love working here.

Guidewire is the best software company I have ever worked for in my 29 years in the industry.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- There's more visibility into senior executive decision making, long term planning, and financial results than in any company I have worked for.
    - The culture is rational and egalitarian. Ideas are discussed and considered from many sources, and I feel that I have as much input into planning and effect on the final product as I could ask for.
    - The pay is excellent, and benefits appear to be similar to those at software companies of the same size.
    - The products are well designed and rich in content, and continue to be the best in class for Guidewire's market segment. Even better, Guidewire has figured out how to sell and successfully configure these complex products, making the company the market leader and the one to bet on. That translates into great bonuses and a decent stock price.
    - Guidewire has high hiring standards, and the technical staff is impressive in their quality and experience, yet there's none of that self aggrandizing I've seen at some other companies I've worked for. I find engineers at every level to be open to ideas and easy to collaborate with.
    - There's a lot of camaraderie in the teams. Guidewire supports team outings that encourage team building and good interpersonal relationships.

Cons

- I would like to work from home more days a week on a regular basis than the company supports. However, when I need to work from home for a particular reason, there's never a problem with doing so.
    - I'd like health benefits to be better than the industry standard. However, I came from a larger company that had excellent benefits, so the comparison might not be fair. Additionally, I understand how expensive healthcare insurance has become, and that the company has made a decision to focus more on monetary rewards like salary, stock, and bonuses, all of which I find to be generous.
    - The company appears to be in transition from a successful, post-IPO startup to a larger, more mature company. The company is doing pretty well with expanding management staff and planning capabilities, but has made some mistakes. However, so far they've been nothing major or difficult to recover from, and the response from senior management has been encouraging and remarkably open.

Still the best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- A team full of talented people working on surprisingly challenging and fun features
    - The hierarchy has become deeper but still feels very flat. Every manager in the whole chain of command is willing to accept feedback and talk in person. This includes the CEO.
    - The work-life balance is exceptional. This does not mean that the team is a bunch of slackers but rather that the trust put in employees means that the flexibility on work hours is enormous. This is probably the number one reason why we are able to retain the top talent that we have
    - Very open communication throughout the company. The CEO is an incorporation of our company values collegiality, rationality and integrity

Cons

The compensation is good but does not compete with Google, Facebook et al.

Smart people, small egos and an emphasis on quality outcomes.

Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have never seen a company make such an explicit commitment to humility- seriously, the worst thing you can be called here is arrogant. They would rather do less and do it right than any place I have ever worked in 19 years of software companies.

I love how considered they are, how well thought out, planned out and tightly choreographed everything is. Things that people wing in other companies are not left up to chance here- partly because the sales cycle is so long and partly because they care about doing things right.

And that's the core culture. Beyond that, the people are just the greatest. Super smart, super committed, good sports about things that might go awry. You are likely to get into neat and interesting conversations with anyone you run into, and you are more likely to be thanked for your hard work than anywhere you've worked before.

Cons

I joke that we are tragically unhip. The place does not have an energetic, forward thinking, hyper-growth vibe, for better or for worse. I also get pretty lonely on my floor- lots of people work from home most of the time, and there isn't a gentle hub bub of activity. We have a reputation for collegiality but it's hard to create that when you don't sit next to anyone. Also, the HQ location is a little sterile and suburban, if you are used to something walkable.

Watch out! This transition from upper-right-hand-quadrant quality core product base to a diversified solutions portfolio is the stumbling ground for any enterprise software company moving from $350 million to 1 billion. You can see it in how we are rolling out Mobile & Portals- we thought we'd have years to get it right and that our customer base would be slow to adopt but the opposite has happened and we are behind the curve. Nothing we can't pull off in the end, but we should be paying as close and as explicit attention to managing the complexity behind product diversification as we do to managing releases of core product.