Guidewire Reviews in San Mateo, CA

Updated October 14, 2014
4.4

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance within the development organization (in 47 reviews)

• Want to have smart people working with you as peers (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't the greatest, but the management is working on improving this (in 11 reviews)

• Guidewire is experiencing some growing pains, which is expected (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Guidewire is the best software company I have ever worked for in my 29 years in the industry.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- There's more visibility into senior executive decision making, long term planning, and financial results than in any company I have worked for.
    - The culture is rational and egalitarian. Ideas are discussed and considered from many sources, and I feel that I have as much input into planning and effect on the final product as I could ask for.
    - The pay is excellent, and benefits appear to be similar to those at software companies of the same size.
    - The products are well designed and rich in content, and continue to be the best in class for Guidewire's market segment. Even better, Guidewire has figured out how to sell and successfully configure these complex products, making the company the market leader and the one to bet on. That translates into great bonuses and a decent stock price.
    - Guidewire has high hiring standards, and the technical staff is impressive in their quality and experience, yet there's none of that self aggrandizing I've seen at some other companies I've worked for. I find engineers at every level to be open to ideas and easy to collaborate with.
    - There's a lot of camaraderie in the teams. Guidewire supports team outings that encourage team building and good interpersonal relationships.

Cons

- I would like to work from home more days a week on a regular basis than the company supports. However, when I need to work from home for a particular reason, there's never a problem with doing so.
    - I'd like health benefits to be better than the industry standard. However, I came from a larger company that had excellent benefits, so the comparison might not be fair. Additionally, I understand how expensive healthcare insurance has become, and that the company has made a decision to focus more on monetary rewards like salary, stock, and bonuses, all of which I find to be generous.
    - The company appears to be in transition from a successful, post-IPO startup to a larger, more mature company. The company is doing pretty well with expanding management staff and planning capabilities, but has made some mistakes. However, so far they've been nothing major or difficult to recover from, and the response from senior management has been encouraging and remarkably open.

Best Place to work if you are in the right dept!

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Company is very strong and the executive team is leading them to great success. They are relatively generous with Stock awards.

Cons

They offer very low salaries and do not treat their employees equally whatsoever. As is usually the case with any company, some departments are the golden children and the others are the stepchildren. But at Guidewire, the golden children are treated extremely well, and their stepchildren receive absolutely no respect or appreciation of value. The golden children have completely open doors to all executives, and the stepchildren's comments and suggestions fall on absolutely closed ears. Because they have been named a "Best Place to work," they spend all their time keeping the golden children spoiled and begging the step children to do surveys and say something nice about Guidewire.

Stronger communication of roles within the company

The management transparency is inspiring - I feel included, a real stakeholder.

Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The core principles of rationality, integrity and collegiality are more than principles - they are part of every decision, at least that is the express goal of management and employees alike.

Cons

Sometimes being a public company requires we make decisions that are less rational to those affected than they might be. We had a minor layoff and to the individuals it seemed harsh.

Involve lower level management in key decisions that affect them, to the degree possible.

Guidewire is a GREAT place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people to work with. Smart, motivated, collegial. Very collaborative environment. Work with a lot of the latest technologies. Very stable company in a very stable market. Has the most rational management team I've encountered in thirty years in the industry.

Cons

Very consensus-driven to the point where it can be difficult to move projects ahead sometimes. Large staff and legacy codebase with a loooong tail means that it can be very difficult to figure out how or WHY something works the way it does.

Stay the course. You've built a fantastic medium-size company that's on track to become a fantastic large company.

The company is great

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guidewire part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are nice, and the company environment is very great

Cons

Some people are unnice and tough

Successful and fast growing company facing new challenges. Good short-term outlook

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Fortunate with top quality employees and good company culture from the early days.
    Good product and customer pipeline so far.

Cons

Talent cultivation and retention remain challenging in recent years. Start to see high exit rate in development for both old timers and newcomers.
    Rapid increase in organization hierarchy. Currently six levels from individual contributors to VP in Development.
    Inexperienced and disconnected management for a fast growing organization.
    Compensation and reward system don't inspire good behavior of individual contributors.

Repair visibility by reconnecting with individual contributors.
    Avoid evaluating people based on short-term sales or superficial result.

Best place I have worked so far

Current Employee - Implementation Architect in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Architect in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very intelligent colleagues, fair procedures, top equipment, great communication. I have worked in several places internationally and Guidewire has exceeded my expectations in every regard. I was not challenged enough in my prior positions and have finally found a great match.

Cons

I am very satisfied, so no entry here.

Keep up the good work and don't restrict your proserv employees travel choices.

Great first intern experience working at a modern software company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very intelligent group of people working at Guidewire, strong adherence to agile development practices, everyone is willing to help out in any way possible.

As this was my first intern experience working at a software company, I did not know what to expect. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised at how modern software companies run today. The atmosphere and environment at Guidewire are what make working there truly an enjoyable experience.

Cons

The insurance realm is not particularly interesting (but working on the software can be somewhat more removed, making it more interesting)

Very Professional, open culture and Customer focussed

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Test driven development.
    Many very talented individuals.
    Excellent Work and Life balance.
    Customer success is one of the main focus.
    Fairly open communication.
    Huge variety of Customers.
    Focus on building very high quality products.

Cons

Management hierarchy developing in the last of departments (Engineering) and this may not be good.
    Although different from many other companies, the performance review system is sometimes questionable.
    Since the focus is on P&C insurance companies, options for creating a lot of products may not be possible.

Great summer experience

Former Employee - Computer Engineering Intern in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Engineering Intern in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guidewire

Pros

Guidewire was a very cordial place to work. They seem to genuinely care about input from the employees. Still has a bit of a start-up feel.

Cons

Since it was the first year of the intern ship program, it was not the most organized. By the end, the project was done and I didn't have much to do.

Start internship process earlier in the school year and try to have people with similar start dates work on the same project