Guidewire Reviews

4.9
Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

1. Accountability, Rationality, and Collegiality

Current Employee - Principal Implementation Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Principal Implementation Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The three pillars that the company has been build on are Accountability, Rationality, and Collegiality.

These core values are introduced to you the moment you interact with any Guidewire employee.
    You are given a rare opportunity at Guidwire, you are trusted, treated like adults, and given the tools to be successful.
    If you don't feel this way, you CAN talk to the management team, and they will ensure that the appropriate modifications are made to ensure your success.

You can never tell what life will bring you, but I truly believe that I am in this for the long haul.

Go Guidewire!

Cons

Sometimes the excitement from all of the learning and growing opportunities, lead you to work longer then usual hours. This can be beneficial form the accomplishments, but sometimes detrimental from the amount of time it inadvertently take away from your personal time.

Advice to Management

Clearer definition for Career Opportunities in upper management.

2. I never thought Property and Casualty insurance could be this fun!

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The relatively flat organizational structure really fosters a sense of community and openness. My colleagues are a bright and talented group that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The rapid growth of the organization in 2012 and 2013 was challenging. However, growth has leveled off to a more comfortable and manageable level in 2014. Also, tunneling through granite is never easy...but definitely rewarding.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure if management needs my advice now or anytime in the foreseeable future. Let me see, we are considered an industry leader in the P&C domain, customers love our software and our employees, investors are confident in the stock,..so I have only accolades, not advice, to offer to management.

3. Moving to Guidewire is the Best Career Decision I Ever Made

Current Employee - Global Pre-Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Global Pre-Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has a very Flat Hierarchy. While there is a standard reporting structure, everyone has a voice and you have access to management at every level.
    The Management team is a group that you can respect, trust and be inspired by.
    My time has very flexible scheduling and allows me to have great work/life balance

Cons

None a whole lot to say here...sometimes because schedules are flexible you end up working a few extra hours, but most don't mind because we like the work!

Advice to Management

None from me...Keep it UP!

5. Fantastic

Current Employee - Implementation Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and helpful. We all work together to solve problems and no one is looking for who to blame. We are trusted to get the job done and not watched over minute by minute. I really like working from home when I'm not travelling. We have the most up-to-date tools to allow us to work together effectively even though we are spread throughout the world.

Cons

Still functioning as a small startup. We are starting to transition to being able to handle our number of staff worldwide but management still needs more training in this area.

Advice to Management

Being open doesn't just mean sending out information it means including managers and directors in important decisions like layoffs.

6. Great Company to work

Current Employee - Implementation Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Colleagues to work with. Very knowledgeable and willing to help each other.
    Excellent Product line. Passionate Product Development team. Setting benchmarks in P&C industry.
    Ample opportunities for Career Growth.

Cons

Lot of travel. Sometimes difficult to balance personal/work life.
    Recent layoffs created panic in the company

Advice to Management

Better forecasting on future demand for consulting

7. Extremely rewarding, lots of personal growth

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company values are clear, all the way from the CEO, down to line-level managers. There are frequent touchpoints between an employee and his/her manager and everyone is open to honest feedback. The interview process may be long, but the attrition rate is extremely low. Product development teams work in an open, cross-functional format (programmer, testing, product owner) so there is a lot of cross-team communication and very little stereotypical specification passing.

Cons

They have built a lot of their own tools/frameworks internally. Their applications are built on top of a custom language that they have built themselves. Which makes it difficult to stay on top of happenings in the general development community. After a while, this starts to bring you down

Guidewire really values its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Really smart, dedicated people
    Management actually enables instead of micro-manages
    Respect for sustainable work-life balance - no overtime, work from home when necessary
    Office culture is young, relaxed and fun - monthly team nerf wars and other fun team events
    One of the leaders in applying Agile development techniques to complex, enterprise applications
    Customers are happy!

Cons

Not well known yet in the Toronto market
    Toronto office is small so not a lot of management opportunities if that is what you are looking for
    Insurance industry is not very "sexy"

Advice to Management

Appreciate the continuous flow of information and communication - keep it up!

Great place to work: good culture, smart and friendly people as well as interesting problems

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Work is interesting and challenging
    People are intelligent and there is a lot to learn from others
    Agile development is great for encouraging communication and interaction
    Competitive advantage in the particular market niche

Cons

Development can take longer than desired due to quirks in software
    Not much else, it's a great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep the small company culture, red tape reduces people to machines.
    Management does an excellent job of soliciting feedback and being accessible.
    Decisions are strategically sound. There is little to say other than keep it up.