Guitar Center Reviews

432 reviews filtered by
2.8
Guitar Center CEO Darrell Webb
Darrell Webb

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee (in 33 reviews)

• Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading) (in 29 reviews)

• Very high turnover rate for salesmen and constant micro-managing by upper management (in 13 reviews)

1. The company is full of passionate musicians

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There's nothing quite like getting paid to be around the things you love every day. The company also promotes from within!

Cons

Any position after the Store Management position is impossible to obtain. If you're looking to move to a District Manager position or beyond, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the people that helped build the company. Using employees as a stepping stone will only lead to high turnover and employees that are not invested.

2. Good Part-time work

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Guitar Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the environment was one of my favorite parts of working for Guitar Center. The store management was always super nice and upbeat, even with shifts in the company they've tried to be really accommodating. If I needed to take off of work for something, it wasn't a huge problem, either. As much as cooperate allowed, they always took really good care of their staff.

Cons

The cons would be how cooperate treats the staff, particularly in operations. When I was hired, I made it clear that I needed a certain amount of hours to work there and it was guaranteed, until the company started flipping everything upside down and even well-seasoned sales associates started taking pay and hour cuts.

Advice to Management

Guitar Center is an incredible company that does great things for music, but my advice would be to VALUE YOUR TEAM. If your staff isn't happy (and they're slowly but surely heading that way), they aren't going to be able to truly satisfy the customers.

Assistant Manager

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Networking with other musicians, building your own "business" by building your customer base, great discounts on products, access to representatives of the brands you're selling, some growth within the company

Cons

minimum wage for entry level positions (sales associates), commission rates low. low number of opportunities for promotions unless you relocate to a different store/region.

Advice to Management

Develop a stronger sales training program for sales associates.

5. This is an awesome experience to improve all aspects of your life.

I worked at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Friends, music, gear, knowledge, networking.

Cons

None none none none none.

6. Positive changes have been happening

I have been working at Guitar Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great gear, great people to work with, great discounts.

Cons

Not a lot of encouragement from Store Management, often being told that we should "always have our resumes ready." Have experienced unequal treatment of associates in same position.

Advice to Management

Encourage your front line people more. Don't lead us on with maybes and "one days".

7. Was a great company

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Helping fellow musicians get the right gear for their needs.

Cons

Company is changing policies under new CEO.

8. Great experience, great family

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were extremely passionate, and I have not yet experienced a stronger family-like connection with a team. Great for those with strong entrepreneurial spirit. Hard work, but not unlike any other job. Lots of training. During my time there, the culture did change for the better in many ways.

Cons

Extremely tight budgets, lots of complaints about pay.

Advice to Management

Keep improving employee pay/benefits, & focus a bit more on quality than quantity of winning.

9. Plan on working hard for little pay.

Current Employee - Warehouse in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in the music industry is a plus and also being around other musicians.

Cons

Guitar Center has horrible pay and benefits and you do tons of work and you feel unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Management needs to pay the employees more and have better benefits. Make people feel appreciated and also lift the cap on vacation and sick time. People need a cushion in case of a medical emergency.

Great people but Filled with empty Promises

Former Employee - Sales and Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales and Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The great thing about Guitar Center is the people you work with. Everyone there shares a love of music and it translate to the work culture. The fact that you work with and have access to all this cool gear is amazing as well. You do have the opportunity to interact with some interesting people and meet some cool bands which is a plus and if you are a musician they do allow you to tour and keep your job up to two months. Advancing up the ladder can come easily to some if you maintain a good work ethic.

Cons

My biggest problem with this company is the management. I was with the company for almost 4 years and I have never experience so much mis-direction from any other job. The company lacks focus and constantly changes their directives to their employees. The pay structure has changed over three times when I was employed and most of the sales associate didn't even know how they got paid. I heard that this has changed since I left but the company has a track record of breaking promises. Advancement may come easy but is sometimes not worth it. You are also faced with unrealistic performance expectations and of you constantly do well but have a bad month you get treated like a worthless employee by upper management.

Advice to Management

Have a more clear cut agenda and realistic expectations for associates. Don't make promises you do not intend on keeping. Put more of a focus on positive reinforcement instead of negative. Actors professional and remember negativity breeds negativity.

11. Only one mode: Reactive

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Decent discounts on equipment.

Cons

Bad communication, high turnover, no budget, a lot of incompetence and mediocrity at all levels, poor insurance and 401k offerings

Guitar Center Photos