www.guitarcenter.com

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.8

Mike Pratt

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee (in 31 reviews)

• Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading) (in 28 reviews)

• Very high turnover rate for salesmen and constant micro-managing by upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Guitar Center is a great place to work if involved in the music industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many positive benefits for those who perform for a living as well as work a job.

Cons

Sometimes, in order to take a management position, it becomes necessary to have to relocate.

Very fun place to work if you are a musician!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool work environment, every employee is a musician, and it's easy to get days off for 'tour leave' as long as you plan ahead. Really awesome employee discount, too!! A job here gets you experience in many areas too, i.e.. Customer Service, Sales, and Operations.

Cons

Pay is low, and it is very hard to make the commission bonus. Hard to get time off during the holidays. Employees are often left in the dark by what's going on with the corporate side of the company.

Raise the pay! Paying employees better = happier employees and better customer service.

My experience working at Guitar Center was very memorable but I'm looking for better compensation and benefits.

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a musician then you would benefit from working at Guitar Center. You will have access to very helpful programs to help your promote music and discounts on all gear.

Cons

Some cons are low compensation, condensed work area, and excessive workload.

Miserable place to work with little to no company morale.

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Casual and laid back work environment. Dress code. Employee discount for gear.

Cons

Put fires out all day. Reactive vs. Proactive culture. Low morale.

Take care of your employees! Pay more for the people who actually have a clue and care about the work they do. Offering a loyal employee of 20+ years an entry level position then laying them off is just ruthless...

Great discounts, poor employee morale but great co-workers.

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To be around music everyday and others who feel the way you probably do is truly amazing

Cons

There is no possible way to carve out a decent living here. No way whatsoever. Even if somebody comes in with significant experience, amazing salesmanship, know how and years of experience as a respected touring musician, the system is oriented to keep the door revolving. There are lots of bodies out there that can sell music gear. Really too bad. I have friends ( co-workers), that stepped down from management back to sales because the financial rewards were not significant enough to compensate the increased responsibility. (not nearly).

It definitely paints a very negative face on upper level management. I believe that they do not truly understand what their own potential is with great motivated professional people all on the same page store wide. For those reading this, I would seek out opportunity in smaller independent stores where you have the opportunity to make more of a difference. You won't make any more money at Guitar Center believe me. Also look at Sam Ash. I have several friends that have worked there for over 12 years, ( one over 15), doing great, respected and rewarded by management. Much better. I will probably stay here as I am entrenched for the time being, then go there myself! So see you at Sam Ash someday soon!!

Employ well rounded professionals that can create significant ROI and pay them for there know how, experience, team leadership and mentoring, and ability to generate substantial revenues. Stop focusing your strategy on the revolving door! There is a better way, you can become more profitable, who can increase the efficiency of operation and logistics but you are blinded as to how to do it!

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Category Manager in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Category Manager in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very collaborative environment
    Work with musicians that still gig
    Promote from within

Cons

Reporting is not on par with other major retailers

You get out of it what you put into it.

I have been working at Guitar Center

Pros

This is a generally positive company with strong core values in an energetic environment. Very secure if you can perform well and always be willing to learn. Guitar Center is heading in a very positive direction due to their relatively new CEO who is bound and determined to make they company one of the most desirable places to work in the retail market.

Cons

It's not for everyone. You must be able to sell consistently, and your income is performance-based. In other words, if you aren't skilled at sales you won't make a decent paycheck. Also - and this depends on the person - it is generally a loud environment, as there are always several customers playing on various kinds of musical instruments in unison.

It really is what you make of it

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Music gear and musicians around you all the time. At one time, here were free concert tickets and other perks. There are still deals on gear and the health insurance isn't bad.

Cons

If your direct supervisor doesn't think much of you, or would be lost without you, your chances for advancement are pretty slim.

Having one sale after another makes the company a joke and is from a bygone era. Modernize all of the company, not just parts.

Employed By The Center Of Guitars

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commissions can be huge if you work hard. Merit based company; I myself became an Assistant Manager in 7 months which is pretty fast and I know guys who have done it faster. You'll usually deal with pretty cool people MOST of the time due to the fact that they're musicians. If you yourself are a musician then the employee discount is a major plus as well as the employee program called GAIN which is something you have to be a part of to know. You constantly learn more not only about gear but about yourself daily and what your limits are. Definitely builds character and will shape who you are for the for seen future. Full benefits, above minimum wage hourly, very flexible scheduling, and all around great atmosphere. A great vehicle to get where you want to be in life whether it be within the company or in the music industry. Connections to studios, producers, and heaps of people in the entertainment business. Equality is huge, HR issues are taking very serious, and discrimination is non existent. Very healthy work place along those matters.

Cons

High turnover is something that is slightly apparent throughout the company. GC is very much so a "what have you done for me as of late" not what have you proven yourself as type of company. It's retail so customers can be mean sometimes specially when they don't get the "deal" that they wanted but thats easy to deal with. Hours can be harsh at times depending on staffing and time of season but it is retail remember that. The "fade" system that the company is operating on as of right now can be a little grayish at times but I've never had a problem with it, only seen others. It can be ruff at times and if you can't handle multiple customers by yourself you'll probably sink.

The company is solid right now even after the Ares buyout and morale has gotten better since those bankruptcy rumors got dismissed. The uncertainty of when Phase 3 is rolling out chain wide is slightly discerning knowing that if traffic is slow next month my GP per hour will take a hit leading to less pay when it does. I love this company and put it first before anything, I just don't want to lose the vibe we have going on.

Current Employee - Elite Sales Force in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Elite Sales Force in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is nice and the benefits are decent along with a 401k. The other sales associates are usually pretty cool as long as they aren't sharks and stealing your business.

Cons

There is really no management to speak to. They listen to what you have to say, but at the end of the day what ever corporate office has to say is what is law. There is a serious disconnect between sales people and upper management. Basically all they care about you selling is credit card applications and insurance. No one really cares about the gear, and no one appreciates you. The idea they have is well what have you done for me lately.

Stop focusing so much on selling insurance and focus on the music. Thats why people used to shop there in the first place.

Guitar Center Photos