Guitar Center

www.guitarcenter.com

Guitar Center Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Mike Pratt

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee(in 30 reviews)

• Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading)(in 27 reviews)

• The upper management is beholden to Bain Capital Partners(in 11 reviews)

Best work environment I have experienced.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThe atmosphere at Guitar Center is great. Despite the fact that the job can get busy, things are always laid back and comfortable both as an employee and as a customer. Service and product knowledge are the biggest parts of the job. Working for Guitar Center is great for anyone who loves music and wants to see people leave with gear that will help them do the same. Employee benefits are great as well (read gig leave).

ConsThe worst parts of the job are: old POS technology, when corporate mentality takes over management in store (tends to come and go), and the problem customers seen in any retail environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerks and benefits are pretty much where they should be. Availability for upward movement is well instated. One area to grow in is training. Product knowledge and cross training should be pushed a bit harder.

Awesome Job

Runner (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsFriendly Co-workers, easy to get along with them
    A very relaxed yet busy enough work atmosphere

ConsFor me was just the distance I had to travel to get to work but other than that everything was great.

Do what they say, and no one gets hurt!

General Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIncredibly enlightened management, lots of mentoring, tons of advancement opportunities, especially for career-minded people willing to relocate.

ConsHard to make big money at first, you have to pay attention and don't try to reinvent the wheel, just follow instructions and LEARN!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing experience for anyone who loves music

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Mobile, AL

ProsThis job allows me to be around what I love... Music. Not only that but I'm able to help other people make music whether it's an upcoming musician to a professional one. I'm able to meet new faces daily and come into contact with awesome people that not only learn from me, but I also learn from them as well. The new Phase III pay is phenomenal....

ConsAt this particular moment in my career with GC, I can honestly say that I personally don't have any cons.

Very happy employee

Repair Tech (Current Employee) Mishawaka, IN

ProsThe company and it's values are top notch, management encourages to help you succeed at your job and help learn about personal growth in the company, the people (customers and employees) are amazing, appropriately compensated employees, great benefits!

ConsHonestly, the only con was the old pay structure. Now GC is properly accommodating their employees. Other than that, it's a truly amazing place to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementI have worked with this company for 10 years and have had the opportunity to see it shape into what it is today. Much has changed in that time, and I'm still as always to see what the future hold for me and Guitar Center!

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discount! Jam sessions, and other fun employee activities. Room for growth. Young atmosphere. Casual dress.

ConsSome incompetent co-workers. Bad coffee. Not much else that's bad! Same small problems that all other corporate jobs entail.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to who's actually doing the work and who's skating by.

Guitar Center can either be a family environment or difficult to work in.

Pro Audio Specialist (Current Employee) Brea, CA

ProsGreat place to network with communities.
    Great environment when team is well manicured.
    Audio knowledge can and should grow exponentially.
    My newest store manager is for making the store a special and unique location.

ConsSelling is the utmost goal of the corporate structure.
    There is no upward movement unless you can sell.
    Some employees are slackers, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize your employees full potential with side projects and incentive programs to move around faster in the company.

Purty goodf

ProsGreat discounts and great work enviroment

ConsRude managament but it depends on the store

Awesome company to work with and work for.

Sales Associate In Professional Audio (Former Employee) Manchester, CT

ProsGreat people--my coworkers are still some of my closest friends.
    Excellent and ongoing staff training.
    Work becomes your life. If gear is your passion like it is mine, you will love it.
    "Burning"

ConsBeing on your feet all day. Not a big deal compared to how much fun the job is. But the guys always complained about their feet hurting and good shoes were a must.
    Heavy lifting. Everyone complained about back problems.
    Work really becomes your life. Gear has to be your passion.
    "Burning"--if you don't want to work open to close as often as once a week or more, this might not be your thing. Again, if it's your passion go for it. I used to hate leaving work even after "burning."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Management is the best.

amazing place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Cerritos, CA

Prosgreat money and learn lots of stuff

Consvery competitive and youre only as good as how much you make the company

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees better

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!