Guitar Center

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.8

Mike Pratt

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee (in 30 reviews)

• Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading) (in 27 reviews)

• The upper management is beholden to Bain Capital Partners (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Employed By The Center Of Guitars

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commissions can be huge if you work hard. Merit based company; I myself became an Assistant Manager in 7 months which is pretty fast and I know guys who have done it faster. You'll usually deal with pretty cool people MOST of the time due to the fact that they're musicians. If you yourself are a musician then the employee discount is a major plus as well as the employee program called GAIN which is something you have to be a part of to know. You constantly learn more not only about gear but about yourself daily and what your limits are. Definitely builds character and will shape who you are for the for seen future. Full benefits, above minimum wage hourly, very flexible scheduling, and all around great atmosphere. A great vehicle to get where you want to be in life whether it be within the company or in the music industry. Connections to studios, producers, and heaps of people in the entertainment business. Equality is huge, HR issues are taking very serious, and discrimination is non existent. Very healthy work place along those matters.

Cons

High turnover is something that is slightly apparent throughout the company. GC is very much so a "what have you done for me as of late" not what have you proven yourself as type of company. It's retail so customers can be mean sometimes specially when they don't get the "deal" that they wanted but thats easy to deal with. Hours can be harsh at times depending on staffing and time of season but it is retail remember that. The "fade" system that the company is operating on as of right now can be a little grayish at times but I've never had a problem with it, only seen others. It can be ruff at times and if you can't handle multiple customers by yourself you'll probably sink.

The company is solid right now even after the Ares buyout and morale has gotten better since those bankruptcy rumors got dismissed. The uncertainty of when Phase 3 is rolling out chain wide is slightly discerning knowing that if traffic is slow next month my GP per hour will take a hit leading to less pay when it does. I love this company and put it first before anything, I just don't want to lose the vibe we have going on.

Amazing

I have been working at Guitar Center

Pros

Amazing culture and attitude about music.

Cons

High sales goals, but I was in drums. So that explains that.

Best work environment I have experienced.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The atmosphere at Guitar Center is great. Despite the fact that the job can get busy, things are always laid back and comfortable both as an employee and as a customer. Service and product knowledge are the biggest parts of the job. Working for Guitar Center is great for anyone who loves music and wants to see people leave with gear that will help them do the same. Employee benefits are great as well (read gig leave).

Cons

The worst parts of the job are: old POS technology, when corporate mentality takes over management in store (tends to come and go), and the problem customers seen in any retail environment.

Perks and benefits are pretty much where they should be. Availability for upward movement is well instated. One area to grow in is training. Product knowledge and cross training should be pushed a bit harder.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Job

Former Employee - Runner  in  El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Runner in El Paso, TX

I worked at Guitar Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, easy to get along with them
    A very relaxed yet busy enough work atmosphere

Cons

For me was just the distance I had to travel to get to work but other than that everything was great.

Do what they say, and no one gets hurt!

Former Employee - General Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Guitar Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Incredibly enlightened management, lots of mentoring, tons of advancement opportunities, especially for career-minded people willing to relocate.

Cons

Hard to make big money at first, you have to pay attention and don't try to reinvent the wheel, just follow instructions and LEARN!

Amazing experience for anyone who loves music

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This job allows me to be around what I love... Music. Not only that but I'm able to help other people make music whether it's an upcoming musician to a professional one. I'm able to meet new faces daily and come into contact with awesome people that not only learn from me, but I also learn from them as well. The new Phase III pay is phenomenal....

Cons

At this particular moment in my career with GC, I can honestly say that I personally don't have any cons.

Very happy employee

Current Employee - Repair Tech  in  Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Repair Tech in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company and it's values are top notch, management encourages to help you succeed at your job and help learn about personal growth in the company, the people (customers and employees) are amazing, appropriately compensated employees, great benefits!

Cons

Honestly, the only con was the old pay structure. Now GC is properly accommodating their employees. Other than that, it's a truly amazing place to work!

I have worked with this company for 10 years and have had the opportunity to see it shape into what it is today. Much has changed in that time, and I'm still as always to see what the future hold for me and Guitar Center!

Great Place to Work

I worked at Guitar Center

Pros

Employee discount! Jam sessions, and other fun employee activities. Room for growth. Young atmosphere. Casual dress.

Cons

Some incompetent co-workers. Bad coffee. Not much else that's bad! Same small problems that all other corporate jobs entail.

Pay closer attention to who's actually doing the work and who's skating by.

Guitar Center can either be a family environment or difficult to work in.

Current Employee - Pro Audio Specialist  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Pro Audio Specialist in Brea, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to network with communities.
    Great environment when team is well manicured.
    Audio knowledge can and should grow exponentially.
    My newest store manager is for making the store a special and unique location.

Cons

Selling is the utmost goal of the corporate structure.
    There is no upward movement unless you can sell.
    Some employees are slackers, etc.

Utilize your employees full potential with side projects and incentive programs to move around faster in the company.

Purty goodf

I have been working at Guitar Center

Pros

Great discounts and great work enviroment

Cons

Rude managament but it depends on the store

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!