Guitar Center Reviews

Reset
2.7
Guitar Center CEO Darrell Webb
Darrell Webb

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear and decent health coverage (in 33 reviews)

• You can buy gear at cost with your employee discount (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • basically minimum wage as a regular salesman your first year (in 29 reviews)

• Several Layers of Middle to Upper Management (in 13 reviews)

1. Austerity Measures

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Great discount. Lax atmosphere. Flexible hours. Jam room. Jam nights. Guitar lessons. Expanding business and opportunity for growth. Great location.

Cons

Disorganized review process. Not investing money in employees. Not rewarding hard work and achievement. Not on level with other companies when it comes to salary.

Advice to Management

Reward hard work and achievement with pay increases. Don't allow employees to feel that their growth has stagnated. Cost cutting measures should not be imposed on the salaries of good employees. Talent comes at a price and regardless of the company's financial standing, good employees should be valued.

2. Passive Aggresive Managers. Expensive instruments.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Company pays for uniforms. Casual dress code You get to be around music all day. Employee Discount Associates are mostly good people

Cons

Management will flatter you, then turn against your sales strategies. Managments sales strategies are driving good customers away. Management has poor people skills. They turn off customers. Corporate GC is worse than the retail store. They overcharge and customers aren't shopping at GC retail anymore. GC has huge sales slumps during slow economic growth. Some of the managers are passive Aggresive losers.

Advice to Management

Begin to listen to very talented team members that are industry insiders. Teach pitches but don't force uncomfortable sales styles on good sales people. There isn't a 1800 number for employee relations. There are some employees occasionally that are passive aggresive and nasty. Few, but the one or two needs to correct their behavior with cooperative and dynamic sales staffs. Hours during training do not match agreed upon hours. This needs to be changed.

3. Corporate World

Former Employee - Management in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Brea, CA

I worked at Guitar Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

The first time customers and the loyal customers, the co-workers, and the love for music everyone shares. There is never a dull moment at GC.

Cons

Corporate shenanigans, new upper management changing the store level management positions. Overworked for the pay. Didn't stay true to its culture and what made GC great when it first began.

Advice to Management

A higher bonus for management.

5. Operations

Pros

Great being around other musicians, Good discount on gear, Flexible hours

Cons

Low pay, management expects too much out of employees based on compensation.

6. Drector

I worked at Guitar Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance and great people to work with

Cons

Bad medical benefits and 401K benefits

7. Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olney, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olney, MD

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job functions were easy, and the employee discount was pretty deep, making it easy for musicians to have better gear.

Cons

The management in both stores I worked at was terrible. There was no communication between the store manager and the rest of the management team, which in turn leads to utter disorganization. The employee turnover rate is incredibly high, and the training they provide is inadequate. Guitar Center does not hire the most knowledgeable people, leading to frustrated customers and managers. In addition, the commission system is nearly impossible to make money off of. It is convoluted and takes an incredible amount of hours and sales to be beneficial.

Advice to Management

Communicate with each other and with employees. Restructure the commission system, hire and train more competent employees.

8. it was okay.

Former Employee - Crew in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Crew in Burbank, CA

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked being around music all the time and the service we provided to customers helped out in obvious ways to them.

Cons

hours sucked, only got weekends. but it was still okay... you had to know about all the instruments to get hired which sucked..

Advice to Management

give better hours

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to do what you love and interact with other musicians.

Cons

Customers who think that know more than you but don't.

10. Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Medford, OR

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't really want to post something about my current job. It's a god gig, and you make the most of it.

Cons

Upper management is a little demanding. Long hours can be required. Can be difficult to find good employees.

Don't Let The Positive Reviews Fool You

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Village, CA

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers and customers. You get to sell cool stuff.

Cons

First let me address my title. I happen to know that corporate clowns are trying to stack the deck, so to speak, on their reviews by putting very corporately worded junk like "challenging" and other such junk, and giving stellar 4-5 star rating with positive reviews in "Opportunities", "Compensation", "Outlook", "Opinion of CEO" and so forth. Nobody in their right mind would agree that Mr. Webb is a good CEO, and the compensation is a joke. I was wrongfully terminated after a decade of loyal service; based completely on lies and then they had the nerve to appeal my unemployment insurance (which after speaking to multiple former employees, they do that to everybody), which they lost. The fact is, they are purposely weeding out the long time vets to both save on money (because we made the most) and to get rid of people that know what the company used to be like. They are only interested in paying the very least in wages. They figure if they get rid of the vets that sell the most, those sells will still happen, but spread out among more sales people that may not reach that idiotic sales number to make any sort of commission. Before I was so kindly dismissed, I calculated that in order for me to make what I USED to make under my old pay before April 1st (April Fool's Day, mind you) and the restructure of the job positions and pay, I'd have to sell roughly $70,000 in sales a month, when my average was around $50,000. So basically, they made it incredibly difficult for me to get what I was making before. In their April restructure, I estimate over 900 hard working Assistant Managers were effectively "demoted" to sales person without cause because they decided to eliminate the position. I know for a fact that they wrongfully terminated quite a few veterans in order to save money. I've gone and scouted various Guitar Center stores, and it seems it's all new faces these days. They sacrificed customer service and loyal employees to line the pockets of Ares exec's and upper management types, like Mr. Webb. When the company was being led by the previous CEO, Mike Pratt, he was very open with improving the employee experience and compensation. He had this idea called "Vision 2020", which basically was his vision for GC to be the place to work by the year 2020. Upon his replacement by Mr. Webb, one of the very first things they did was have a conference call with store GM's and told them to immediately remove and "destroy" the "Vision 2020" posters. Kinda fishy. To sum up....DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. They are ONLY in it for the sake of Ares and upper management. They even went as far as either dismissing company founders/pioneers or demoting them to a far lower position. Just another company plagued by corporate GREED.

Advice to Management

First, stop putting fake reviews on Glassdoor. It's glaringly obvious. Second, FIRE YOURSELVES AND SHUT DOWN THE BUSINESS.

RSS Feed </> Embed