Guitar Center
www.guitarcenter.com Westlake Village, CA 5000+ Employees

Guitar Center Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Mike Pratt

Pros:
  • "Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "It's a Commission based shark tank"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place with a few growing pains

Los Angeles, CA

ProsMusic-related work with benefits, able to transfer around the country and have a job. Can pick up the next job you want by working here. Good entry point to the industry.

ConsNot much room to advance between the slightly more than minimum wage job and the MBAs running the place. Company has lost some focus from what it was as it went private. Lacks social media and web-based marketing savvy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's just a music store, stop trying to be everything to everyone with the products and sales every week.

Best work environment I have experienced.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Peoria, IL

ProsThe atmosphere at Guitar Center is great. Despite the fact that the job can get busy, things are always laid back and comfortable both as an employee and as a customer. Service and product knowledge are the biggest parts of the job. Working for Guitar Center is great for anyone who loves music and wants to see people leave with gear that will help them do the same. Employee benefits are great as well (read gig leave).

ConsThe worst parts of the job are: old POS technology, when corporate mentality takes over management in store (tends to come and go), and the problem customers seen in any retail environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerks and benefits are pretty much where they should be. Availability for upward movement is well instated. One area to grow in is training. Product knowledge and cross training should be pushed a bit harder.

Get your gear and get out

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Raritan, NJ

ProsDiscounts on gear are great, employees on the sales floor were friendly and like-minded musicians, can play guitar/keyboard when the store is slow, hour breaks

ConsHigh stress, commissioned job where you have to fade against the hours you work. Store managers are cooped up in the office running reports and going on call-meetings and don't appreciate what you do unless your numbers are good. Very high turnover rate for salesmen and constant micro-managing by upper management. Poorly outlined promotion path. Most promotions are twice the responsibilities for a 5-10% raise in your potential commission. If you're a department or assistant manager and you don't fade you are making the same or less than people you are in charge of. Also the company is buried under massive debt and has been losing money for a number of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure hierarchy, micro manage less, and show your employees you appreciate them rather than telling everyone that they are replaceable if their numbers aren't up to par.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Hollywood, FL

ProsGood money if you put in the Work
    Amazing discounts

Consrude employees, sharks, unmoral, unprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing for the right reasons, Learn professionality

decent place to work till you find something better

Guitar Technician (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

Prosgear discounts, meeting cool customers, working on unique instruments, awesome co-workers, fairly flexible schedules

Consthe guitar techs pay structure could be a lot better, and the support system is less than perfect. The "benefits" aren't benefits, they cost a ton with little coverage. there is little to no growth opportunity, and when there is, its only a title change.

Greatest rock and roll job out there!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPeople! Music! Cool gear! Every inventory delivery is like Christmas.

ConsIt's still a retail job with quotas. If you think you're gonna sign up and play guitar all day, you're gonna hate this job.

Awesome Job

Runner (Former Employee)
    El Paso, TX

ProsFriendly Co-workers, easy to get along with them
    A very relaxed yet busy enough work atmosphere

ConsFor me was just the distance I had to travel to get to work but other than that everything was great.

So far so good!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Algonquin, IL

ProsEveryone so far has been really helpful and totally down to help me get going! I get to spend all day around the things I love! The management team is awesome and very informative. No one has made me feel unwelcome.

ConsSome people are not there to work. All they do is ring people up, and stand around.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that my store management is doing a good job as far as I can see.

Good money when you earn it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work and gain knowledge.

ConsBack in the day the pay was different.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and invest into your employees. By that i don't mean more training modules.

Do what they say, and no one gets hurt!

General Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIncredibly enlightened management, lots of mentoring, tons of advancement opportunities, especially for career-minded people willing to relocate.

ConsHard to make big money at first, you have to pay attention and don't try to reinvent the wheel, just follow instructions and LEARN!

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guitar Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guitar Center CEO Mike Pratt. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by Guitar Center employees.