Guitar Center

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.8

Mike Pratt

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee (in 30 reviews)

• Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading) (in 27 reviews)

• The upper management is beholden to Bain Capital Partners (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what it is

Former Employee - Guitar Center Sales Associate  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Guitar Center Sales Associate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Guitar Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee discount is pretty nice, you can make connections by working in a place frequented by musicians and various industry people, and it might be a way for young musicians to supplement their meager incomes from music. The veteran sales staff are good and knowledgeable people.

Cons

The environment is internally competitive, potentially making the staff into sharks. Unless you work in a high-traffic store, the commission system (which is going to be replaced soon) is pretty unfair - you get 10% of profit and 1% of sale, and if that amount is enough to exceed your basic monthly wages (which are barely above the minimum wage), your wages for the month are then deducted from that 10% of profit; sort of like you're paying them back out of your wages for the chance to truly get your commision, which ends up being a small bonus. Aside from this, the commission introduces petty politics.

Furthermore, in my store, I found too much of the management to be bullying narcissistic personalities. The store manager was notorious among some of the staff for being an intense and crass man who mainly cares about the numbers - a man who takes out the financial pressures that are on him from above, on those below him. To be frank, I felt like psych-ops games were being played on me and workplace bullying was taking place for my first 6 months or so.

Learn how to treat your workers with respect and try not to drink too much of the corporate kool-aid.

Best work environment I have experienced.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The atmosphere at Guitar Center is great. Despite the fact that the job can get busy, things are always laid back and comfortable both as an employee and as a customer. Service and product knowledge are the biggest parts of the job. Working for Guitar Center is great for anyone who loves music and wants to see people leave with gear that will help them do the same. Employee benefits are great as well (read gig leave).

Cons

The worst parts of the job are: old POS technology, when corporate mentality takes over management in store (tends to come and go), and the problem customers seen in any retail environment.

Perks and benefits are pretty much where they should be. Availability for upward movement is well instated. One area to grow in is training. Product knowledge and cross training should be pushed a bit harder.

Great place and vibe to work, but pay issues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Guitar Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff and customers usually great to work with, I have met some of my best friends from working at this place.

Cons

While I worked at GC, they were trial testing new pay structures for our district. Our base was 7.25/hr and commission, but we wouldn't receive commission unless we faded our hours. It is safe to say by the end of the month, those of us in Guitars would barely be able to afford taco bell for lunch.

Strong manager who is loved by his employees goes very far with the workers. Someone who is willing to do the dirty work, and lead his/her troops into battle.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR is unprofessional. Hostile work environment.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Guitar Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discounts on gear.
    Great customer loyalty to salesmen.
    Great inventory.

Cons

Hostile work environment.
    Not professional.
    HR doesn't follow up.
    Can't trust management.

Keep your employees based on sales skill.
    Allow you employees opportunities to advance in management.
    Provide better training in management.

Sexist company, boys club. Lack of direction from upper management.

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company discounts on music equipment.

Cons

Poor leadership at the top which creates an overall atmosphere which lacks unity. No focus or direction long term. Lack of awareness at the top levels of the overall Management weakness. Very inconsistent levels of management practice at all levels. Some good managers and others behavior off the charts in terms of lack of ethical behavior, abuse. Because there isn't an environment that supports growth and development one mistake can get you thrown under the bus. The focus is not on developing talent. It's on holding on to your turf. Promotions, company values, pay is very low for the amount of work entailed, pretty sexist, men are hired for all the best jobs even if they are not fit for them.

Upper management doesn’t really listen and it seems they just like to hear themselves talk and take credit for someone else's work. Some people are intense and like to micromanage. Stop hiring lazy dispassionate/mediocre managers who take advantage of their title and work hardly any hours yet get salaried. Quality vs. quantity comes to mind. Happy employees equals better better business. Don't support bad managers. Get input from the lower ranks of the organization and evaluate were there are opportunities for changes.

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Corporate Role
    Former Employee - Corporate Role

I worked at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

people I worked with were nice

Cons

the company has the worst possible management anyone could have, across the board

a detailed clean-up is required in the management

Customer Service Rep

I worked at Guitar Center

Pros

Awesome discounts. Got off work for gigs

Cons

Everything else. Pay, benefits, clarity on commissions, work hours, store manager

Pay your employees better and attempt to make an effort to get a decent health coverage

Not as fun as you'd imagine

Former Employee - Accessories and Guitars Sales  in  Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Accessories and Guitars Sales in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Guitar Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount was pretty good, you get items at cost-price meaning you pay what the store pays for the product. For the most part the employees and management were genuinely friendly and well-meaning people.

Cons

They encourage the "Make the sale at all costs." attitude, pay was pretty bad, even with the commission. Management kind of turned their backs on me when I told them about a senior salesman stealing my sale on a $700 bass and gave the guy a slap on the wrist.

Unless you're 18 for the love of all things good do not work here

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Like most of the reviews on this site the discount is good. You really aren't getting gear at cost because the real cost is averaged out across the country. I really enjoyed my coworkers.

Cons

The list of cons
    1. Pay does not = cost of living in my city. If you work here you will be poor
    2. No chances for moving up
    3. There is a lot of politics involved (at least my location)
    4. Things are never good enough even when the work you did was stellar
    5. Micro management. There are managers (regional and local) that should have never been promoted as such
    6. They run the mom and pop shops out of business. Buy from a local mom and pop shop! (GC's old moto was Total World Domination.)

Get your gear and get out

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Raritan, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raritan, NJ

I worked at Guitar Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts on gear are great, employees on the sales floor were friendly and like-minded musicians, can play guitar/keyboard when the store is slow, hour breaks

Cons

High stress, commissioned job where you have to fade against the hours you work. Store managers are cooped up in the office running reports and going on call-meetings and don't appreciate what you do unless your numbers are good. Very high turnover rate for salesmen and constant micro-managing by upper management. Poorly outlined promotion path. Most promotions are twice the responsibilities for a 5-10% raise in your potential commission. If you're a department or assistant manager and you don't fade you are making the same or less than people you are in charge of. Also the company is buried under massive debt and has been losing money for a number of years.

Restructure hierarchy, micro manage less, and show your employees you appreciate them rather than telling everyone that they are replaceable if their numbers aren't up to par.

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!