Gulf South Medical Supply

Updated July 1, 2014
Updated July 1, 2014
3.2

T. G. Hixon

What a ride while it lasted

I worked at Gulf South Medical Supply full-time

Pros

Gulf South was a fantastic place to work prior to McKesson acquisition. Personal and business growth, working with a fantastic team of people across the entire organization made it exciting to get up and be a part of it every morning. The culture of the corporation was the best I had ever worked, a little too much frat like, but the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Cons

Cons were really the fact that most people in the company grew up IN THE COMPANY, not a lot of broad or outside experience so it limited the diversity and narrowed the thinking.

Wish it would have lasted!!!

Outstanding company and personnel

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Gulf South Medical Supply full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic culture
    Rewarding and challenging work

Cons

Benefits are costly
    Company performance less than stellar leading to a sale of the company

Big territory, big money. Small territory- small margins.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gulf South Medical Supply

Pros

Great work life balance. Consultative solutions approach to the markets. Ability to run territory as someone's own business. Complete pricing control.

Cons

Company shifts focus as the wind blows.
    Push certain solutions that do not make reps money.
    No clear differentiator between competition.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gahanna, OH

I worked at Gulf South Medical Supply

Pros

There were a number of quality reasons why gulf south was a good employer. They were flexible with me through college. They allowed me to work around my classes. Decent pay for a college student and there were able opportunities to advance within gulf south. Two of my friends actually took sales rep jobs once they obtained their degrees. Overall a very good place to work.

Cons

Like any company they used there part time employees as a way to cut overtime pay. They would send people home early on a Friday when there was a good amount of work left. They would have us work until 10 pm on a Friday night in order to not pay the slower worse workers overtime.

Do not overwork your good employees just because they are able to do work efficiently and quickly. This could easily burn those workers out and build hostile feelings against other employees because it would feel as if you were being punished for being a good worker.

Ship is going down

I worked at Gulf South Medical Supply

Pros

Energetic Work Force who want to see success. Great distribution capabilities.

Cons

Sales Priority Not Focused. Reps have too much busy work to do and are not held accountable for true sales.

Need to put focus back on Sales and get rid of the noise and the egos

From a Fortune 1000 company to a Mickey Mouse organization In one leadership change

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gulf South Medical Supply

Pros

There are good people on most teams. The sourcing group does a lot to get new products in for the sales team. Hit your number they leave you alone.

Cons

Management team really believes that price doesn't matter. Solutions are the key, except if the customer can't afford the product, its tough to sell a solution. We are led by a reactionary style; we constantly are playing catch-up to our competitors. Lack of quality collateral.

Gulf South Columbus

I have been working at Gulf South Medical Supply

Pros

Cedar Point Tickets, really, that's about it. The rest of the review you can find in the cons section of this review.

Cons

Unfair work practices. Poor pay. If life outside of work happens, you are out of luck. Disciplinary system does not allow employee to have any kind of a say. Management blames problems on employees rather than taking responsibility themselves. Performance of warehouse has tanked since 2005, no bonuses are received. If you are told you are getting a raise in 90 days, don't believe it, you won't. Pretty much the worst possible place you could ever work. I can't speak for the rest of the establishments they have across the country, but if you insist on working for these guys, and can relocate, skip Columbus, maybe try Dallas out, I hear the ops team there has it together for the most part.

Get people who make critical decisions about things to actually know what they are talking about. Purge the entire Columbus branch and put new management in place.

Worked for Gulf South Medical Supply? Contribute to the Community!