Gulfstream Aerospace

Updated October 15, 2014
3.9

Gulfstream Aerospace President Larry Flynn
Larry Flynn

Pros
  • Great products, Good pay, mostly good place to work with good benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for savannah (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance isn't as I would like (in 5 reviews)

• Lean Six Sigma is overstated as the way to solve all our problems, but will not succeed without lower and middle management commitment (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Life after Gulfstream is grand

Former Employee - Technical Specialist II in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist II in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is very good if you want to live in Savannah, GA. There is no such thing as worklife balance so don't let the hype fool you. Gulfstream is actively striving to become one of the "best companies to work for" in their usual inept way. Management and H.R. is clueless. I was very fortunate to be able to leave and my life has been greatly improved.

Cons

Cons? Were there any pros? Ha! Not many. Other than the pay if you want to live in Savannah, GA, there are few positives and ONLY cons. Management is "good ole boy" and they promote to management based on years of experience rather than people skills. Therefore, management is horrible and most employees hate the management and life is painful. I have been fortunate enough to work for several other companies in big cities and have to say that H.R. is the worst I have ever seen and management is really lacking as well. Everyone I worked with consistently looked for better opportunities.

If you happen to be so unfortunate to go to work for Gulfstream - advise - DO NOT EVER COMPLAIN TO H.R. - you will be forever blackballed. Do not do it no matter how much they say they want your feedback.

I have no advice for management since they NEVER listen to advise. Gulfstream management continues to make the same mistakes....isn't that a sign of insanity?...Keep repeating the same mistakes and expect different results?

Besides needing fresh management, Gulfstream REALLY needs to get rid H.R. leadership. Employees hate H.R., are extremely skeptical about H.R., considers them incompetent and overpaid and.....the list goes on.

I feel very sorry for my friends who still have to work for this company. It scares me that Gulfstream is so highly regarded as an aerospace company. Most employees I know are miserable and have substance abuse problems which get worse by working there.

Even though upper management (men) are very qualified and intelligent on paper, most of them are really screwed up and have big issues.....female issues, ego issues, etc....the list goes on.

After all, it's business aviation that serves the wealthy; ordinary employees are not of their concerns

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a big name in business aviation, it's part of General Dynamics if being an employee at a Fortune 100 company boost your self esteem. Company pays $10,000+ for you to fly business class internationally and ride in limos 10x the cost of a taxi

Cons

There is no paper trail nor transparency, seriously lack of honesty and integrity. If you leave the company, they will cut you off on every money they can get their hands on - such as Management Incentive Plan (MIP) and other bonuses, or even worse, your FSA (Flexible Spending Account) money, yet they won't be willing or able to show your if they have any policy to back them up; if you call or email them, they won't return/reply, essentially incommunicado. They figure you won't sue them for a few grand they owe you, because the legal fees alone will be much higher than the money owe you. After all, the company is in business aviation that serves wealthy people and corporations; ordinary employee's hard work and earned compensation are not of their concerns.

Gulfstream should implement personality tests as part of the standard management hiring/promotion procedure to weed out those who exhibit pathological lying behaviors.

Lack of integrity

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong product line with a great brand recognition.

Cons

Very immature IT organization lacking a true leader. Highly unethical group of leaders who consistently violate the trust of it's employees

Recognize those leaders in the organization that are doing a disservice. CEO needs to be more engaged.

It was a only a nice place to work if you were direct.

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was a clean environment.

Cons

There was no respect for contractors.

Treat your contractors better

Best in Savannah...if you want to live here

Current Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay for Savannah if you have to live here.

Cons

Worst place to work if you have ever worked outside of Savannah, Georgia HR is a joke and management is awful. Don't get stuck here. Savannah is a great place to visit but, the jobs suck and Gulfstream sucks too. What a waste of time out of my life!

Duh. I can't give advice to people that don't get it. They are incompetent - get a clue.

Horrible discrimination against contractors and Asians.

Former Employee - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and clean restroom (but that's about it).

Cons

Southern direct employees and managers distinguish and verbally abuse you for being a contractor.

Suck

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace as a contractor

Pros

Good work experience never work here again

Cons

Suck never will work here again

Flight Test is the worst!

Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time

Pros

Free coffee. There are also a few (very few) that are willing to help train you as long as you ask.....and keep asking.

Cons

Major lack of OJT, very cut throat, contractors are treated as indispensable, everyone in flight test has nothing but negative reviews of said place (including the permanent workers), the programs used for production are quite often inaccurate and tons of red tape has to be cut in order to correct such an anomaly (It can literally take days to install a simple bracket), too many people, not enough work (yes, I said that right) which means no training yet you're told to look busy. That means sweeping the floor or walking around the airplane for 10 hours straight.

The G650 is supposedly behind on production so Gulfstreams knee-jerk reaction is to hire a large sum of employees as well as bring in outside talent from other Gulfstream plants (MA and FL). So, here we have 20 people on one aircraft fighting for something to do while the new contract employees get kicked around and swept under the rug.

I had high expectations of this place. I had always heard good things....until I worked there and heard it from actual employees. Maybe they're admin sections is a stellar one but to be a Final Line Mech III in Flight Test is by far the worse example of training and management that I have seen to date.

Also, if you ever get a chance, look inside one of the aircraft in flight test. Rivets, nuts, washers and safety wire can be found throughout the electrical compartments. Safe? I think not....

It's not people that you need to speed up production. It's parts. Find a way to speed up part delivery and you will be a step ahead. Also, while having such a large amount of downtime, set up OJT for the new guys. You have tons of experience on the floor. Why not utilize that to your advantage?

A Job, Not an Adventure

Current Employee - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay if you get it going in. Savannah Weather is okay. The Ratio is better in Savannah than some aerospace towns

Cons

Good old boy mentality. Closed minded. Totally political atmosphere. 4-10s beats you down.

Actually get some people who can lead. Not just normal political rats ready to bite each other at the first sign. Make it a quality organization not just a schedule driven organization.

Micro Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Defined a way to measure compliance with the recycle program.

Cons

Removing the trash cans and replacing them with little trash cans on your desk to encourage recycling, then the manager spot checking your trash can with his admin to measure your compliance.

OMG