Gulfstream Aerospace

Updated February 20, 2015
3.8

Gulfstream Aerospace President Larry Flynn
Larry Flynn

Pros
  • Great products, Good pay, mostly good place to work with good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for savannah (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance isn't as I would like (in 5 reviews)

• Lean Six Sigma is overstated as the way to solve all our problems, but will not succeed without lower and middle management commitment (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Stuck in the past.

Current Contractor - Structural Design Engineer in Savannah, GA
    Current Contractor - Structural Design Engineer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work at Gulfstream is very challenging. There seems to be a lack of skilled expertise, which allows experienced engineers (new hires) to contribute immediately. High Pay.

Cons

Very unprofessional environment. Contractors are treated like criminals. Management very dishonest, and paranoid. For example, I was once confronted by management for "being in the hallways and not at your desk." This occurred while simply trying to take a restroom break. Fixed start and quit times for engineers. Time would routinely be altered if you clocked off a minute past your scheduled quit time. Basically, the engineering organization seems like a nanny state, more concerned about trivial things (dress codes, start and stop times, seating arrangements, etc) than developing cutting edge aerospace technologies.

Empower employees to be more creative by fostering a creative, diverse and inclusive work environment. Give engineers ownership of there designs, so that they may have a stake in the outcome. Realize that people is your greatest asset. Study Google and build a work environment that's similar. Study Boeing and emulate their work environment. If you want groundbreaking, cutting edge, market leading technology, you must build a work place that can be a tinderbox for new ideas.

They will work you to death if you are good at your job

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace

Pros

The only positive about Gulfstream is the pay.

Cons

If you show talent, they will work you to death but they promote on the good-old-boy network. If you are good, you will probably work a lot of OT and make money but you may also have a heart attack. Good people are worked to death.

Don't work your employees to death. I have seen it again and again. Stop it!!!

Wrongful termination

Former Employee - Design Checker in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Design Checker in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace

Pros

The work environment and everyone seems to work as a team.

Cons

I guess in hindsight that I made a huge mistake taking a contract to work at Gulfstream. I have never been treated so poorly and humiliated like this in my professional working life. This was not my first contract and I have been working in the aircraft industry since 1989. To be let go without any reason was deplorable. I have since been told by other contractors previously employed by your so called reputable company that I am not an isolated case of being terminated like this. I left a job in which I was making a higher rate to take a contract with a company whose so called values include truth telling, respect, trust and integrity.
       I spent months of time and effort filling out the required paperwork to be able to work at Gulfstream. I also spent a lot of money to relocate to Savannah from Canada without my family. I had some hesitation to take this contract after talking with other contractors that had worked previously at Gulfstream including U.S. citizens. They all warned me about the “hire and fire at will” clause. As I have had an exemplary career up until my Gulfstream experience I did not foresee any problems with my ability to perform my job at Gulfstream.
           I spoke with my Lead the day after I was dismissed and he told me that he had told my boss that I was progressing nicely and was fitting into the team. I have always been a team player where ever I have worked. I have always worked well with anyone from the Director of the company to the janitor as every person should be valued no matter what their job function is. My Lead apologized for the treatment that I received and also told me that he had no influence or impact on who was hired and fired in his group. I believe since he is the Lead he should have some input in the direction and manpower requirements of his group. Many people outside my group were also shocked that I was let go. I guess that is to keep everyone on their toes as they may be the next to go.
        I lost all respect for both the Manager and Department head when nothing was really explained to me about my performance after I repeatedly asked on my way out. My department head did not say a single word as I was walked out of your company even after my Lead had told him that I was doing well just the day before. I did however meet some very nice people that were genuinely concerned about my well being and in helping me to integrate into the team. I had every intention to complete my contract with the best of my skill and ability as I have done for the last 25 years in the aerospace industry. I also did not have any confrontation with any employee during my short stint with your company.

I think the Leads should have input in who is hired and fired in there group as they are the ones that have a first hand account of how the employees in his group are actually performing and working.

After all, it's business aviation that serves the wealthy; ordinary employees are not of their concerns

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a big name in business aviation, it's part of General Dynamics if being an employee at a Fortune 100 company boost your self esteem. Company pays $10,000+ for you to fly business class internationally and ride in limos 10x the cost of a taxi

Cons

There is no paper trail nor transparency, seriously lack of honesty and integrity. If you leave the company, they will cut you off on every money they can get their hands on - such as Management Incentive Plan (MIP) and other bonuses, or even worse, your FSA (Flexible Spending Account) money, yet they won't be willing or able to show your if they have any policy to back them up; if you call or email them, they won't return/reply, essentially incommunicado. They figure you won't sue them for a few grand they owe you, because the legal fees alone will be much higher than the money owe you. After all, the company is in business aviation that serves wealthy people and corporations; ordinary employee's hard work and earned compensation are not of their concerns.

Gulfstream should implement personality tests as part of the standard management hiring/promotion procedure to weed out those who exhibit pathological lying behaviors.

Lack of integrity

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong product line with a great brand recognition.

Cons

Very immature IT organization lacking a true leader. Highly unethical group of leaders who consistently violate the trust of it's employees

Recognize those leaders in the organization that are doing a disservice. CEO needs to be more engaged.

It was a only a nice place to work if you were direct.

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There was a clean environment.

Cons

There was no respect for contractors.

Treat your contractors better

Best in Savannah...if you want to live here

Current Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay for Savannah if you have to live here.

Cons

Worst place to work if you have ever worked outside of Savannah, Georgia HR is a joke and management is awful. Don't get stuck here. Savannah is a great place to visit but, the jobs suck and Gulfstream sucks too. What a waste of time out of my life!

Duh. I can't give advice to people that don't get it. They are incompetent - get a clue.

Horrible discrimination against contractors and Asians.

Former Contractor - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA
    Former Contractor - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and clean restroom (but that's about it).

Cons

Southern direct employees and managers distinguish and verbally abuse you for being a contractor.

Suck

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace as a contractor

Pros

Good work experience never work here again

Cons

Suck never will work here again

Flight Test is the worst!

Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time

Pros

Free coffee. There are also a few (very few) that are willing to help train you as long as you ask.....and keep asking.

Cons

Major lack of OJT, very cut throat, contractors are treated as indispensable, everyone in flight test has nothing but negative reviews of said place (including the permanent workers), the programs used for production are quite often inaccurate and tons of red tape has to be cut in order to correct such an anomaly (It can literally take days to install a simple bracket), too many people, not enough work (yes, I said that right) which means no training yet you're told to look busy. That means sweeping the floor or walking around the airplane for 10 hours straight.

The G650 is supposedly behind on production so Gulfstreams knee-jerk reaction is to hire a large sum of employees as well as bring in outside talent from other Gulfstream plants (MA and FL). So, here we have 20 people on one aircraft fighting for something to do while the new contract employees get kicked around and swept under the rug.

I had high expectations of this place. I had always heard good things....until I worked there and heard it from actual employees. Maybe they're admin sections is a stellar one but to be a Final Line Mech III in Flight Test is by far the worse example of training and management that I have seen to date.

Also, if you ever get a chance, look inside one of the aircraft in flight test. Rivets, nuts, washers and safety wire can be found throughout the electrical compartments. Safe? I think not....

It's not people that you need to speed up production. It's parts. Find a way to speed up part delivery and you will be a step ahead. Also, while having such a large amount of downtime, set up OJT for the new guys. You have tons of experience on the floor. Why not utilize that to your advantage?