Gulfstream Aerospace

Updated February 20, 2015
3.8

Gulfstream Aerospace President Larry Flynn
Larry Flynn

Pros
  • Great products, Good pay, mostly good place to work with good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for savannah (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance isn't as I would like (in 5 reviews)

• Lean Six Sigma is overstated as the way to solve all our problems, but will not succeed without lower and middle management commitment (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Engineer II

Current Employee - Engineer II in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace

Pros

Great company to work at, interesting growth opportunities, expanding to new markets

Cons

No cons at this time .

Great company with challenging growth hurdles to overcome

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace

Pros

Job security, great benefits and great coworkers.

Cons

Growing so fast. Everything changes often, and very BUSY!

Focus on training employees you do have already. Work on retention, rather than growing. Too much knowledge is lost by moving people around continuously.

Good Place To Work AND Learn

Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Product line
    Well kept facilities/Climate controlled facilities
    Good Pay For The Area
    Advancement is there for those willing to put the time in
    Culturally diverse workplace
    Great benefits package

Cons

Traffic of surrounding roads
    Better screening of incoming personnel to determine job abilit
    Better communication among STMS,Leads, and Technicians
    LISTEN to the technicians when they have a suggestion.
    Good ole' boy system still in play
    Hold EVERYONE accountable for their actions, new hire to senior hire.

Listen to the techs working the planes, don't just nod your head and pretend. Most of the techs are of a new generation with technology upper management doesn't want to work with. There are alot of procedures and processes that can be streamlined, making the workplace more efficient.

Stuck in the past.

Current Contractor - Structural Design Engineer in Savannah, GA
    Current Contractor - Structural Design Engineer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream Aerospace as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work at Gulfstream is very challenging. There seems to be a lack of skilled expertise, which allows experienced engineers (new hires) to contribute immediately. High Pay.

Cons

Very unprofessional environment. Contractors are treated like criminals. Management very dishonest, and paranoid. For example, I was once confronted by management for "being in the hallways and not at your desk." This occurred while simply trying to take a restroom break. Fixed start and quit times for engineers. Time would routinely be altered if you clocked off a minute past your scheduled quit time. Basically, the engineering organization seems like a nanny state, more concerned about trivial things (dress codes, start and stop times, seating arrangements, etc) than developing cutting edge aerospace technologies.

Empower employees to be more creative by fostering a creative, diverse and inclusive work environment. Give engineers ownership of there designs, so that they may have a stake in the outcome. Realize that people is your greatest asset. Study Google and build a work environment that's similar. Study Boeing and emulate their work environment. If you want groundbreaking, cutting edge, market leading technology, you must build a work place that can be a tinderbox for new ideas.

They will work you to death if you are good at your job

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace

Pros

The only positive about Gulfstream is the pay.

Cons

If you show talent, they will work you to death but they promote on the good-old-boy network. If you are good, you will probably work a lot of OT and make money but you may also have a heart attack. Good people are worked to death.

Don't work your employees to death. I have seen it again and again. Stop it!!!

Management and employee relationships

Former Employee - Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management really cares about employees. Continuous improvement by employees is promoted. Respect, trust, etc.. Is a key point for all personnel. The culture is always seeking better and improved methods and relationships.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are very good. Promotions go to the most qualified employees. The pressure of meeting schedules with limited espouses make it challenging at times.

Invest in resources to make it easier on employees. Provide tools as required, not so dependent on one year payback.

Great place to work, with typical grumbles about Corporate life

Former Contractor - Technical Illustrator II in Savannah, GA
    Former Contractor - Technical Illustrator II in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Gulfstream really cares about it's employees by offering lots of perks. Competitive pay, benefits and interesting work. Great growth available if you work for it.

Cons

Old school business model, could be more progressive. Hardcore corporate culture - strict dress code, strict schedule, etc.

Grow office culture with some progressive moves such as relaxing certain policies and invite new ideas like working remotely.

Intern

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Savannah, GA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Great relationship with mentor and people you work with daily
    - Overall company culture couldn't be better
    - Great intern benefits (housing, pay, vacation, gym memberships)
    - Great resources (buildings, computers, phones)
    - Gave me the ability to contribute to the well-being of the company
    - Great work life balance
    - Felt like a full time employee rather than intern. At the end of my internship I felt as if I had a full time role in the company.

Cons

- traffic in savannah is horrible
    - Did not develop a recognizable relationship with senior management
    - Uses archaic technology

Gulfstream Savannah a great place to work in a unique city.

Former Employee - Advanced Composites Technician III in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Advanced Composites Technician III in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, excellent working, excellent working environment, good opportunities , good leadership.

Cons

Can be very competitive and trice between employees trying to get ahead and further them selves.

Wrongful termination

Former Employee - Design Checker in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Design Checker in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream Aerospace

Pros

The work environment and everyone seems to work as a team.

Cons

I guess in hindsight that I made a huge mistake taking a contract to work at Gulfstream. I have never been treated so poorly and humiliated like this in my professional working life. This was not my first contract and I have been working in the aircraft industry since 1989. To be let go without any reason was deplorable. I have since been told by other contractors previously employed by your so called reputable company that I am not an isolated case of being terminated like this. I left a job in which I was making a higher rate to take a contract with a company whose so called values include truth telling, respect, trust and integrity.
       I spent months of time and effort filling out the required paperwork to be able to work at Gulfstream. I also spent a lot of money to relocate to Savannah from Canada without my family. I had some hesitation to take this contract after talking with other contractors that had worked previously at Gulfstream including U.S. citizens. They all warned me about the “hire and fire at will” clause. As I have had an exemplary career up until my Gulfstream experience I did not foresee any problems with my ability to perform my job at Gulfstream.
           I spoke with my Lead the day after I was dismissed and he told me that he had told my boss that I was progressing nicely and was fitting into the team. I have always been a team player where ever I have worked. I have always worked well with anyone from the Director of the company to the janitor as every person should be valued no matter what their job function is. My Lead apologized for the treatment that I received and also told me that he had no influence or impact on who was hired and fired in his group. I believe since he is the Lead he should have some input in the direction and manpower requirements of his group. Many people outside my group were also shocked that I was let go. I guess that is to keep everyone on their toes as they may be the next to go.
        I lost all respect for both the Manager and Department head when nothing was really explained to me about my performance after I repeatedly asked on my way out. My department head did not say a single word as I was walked out of your company even after my Lead had told him that I was doing well just the day before. I did however meet some very nice people that were genuinely concerned about my well being and in helping me to integrate into the team. I had every intention to complete my contract with the best of my skill and ability as I have done for the last 25 years in the aerospace industry. I also did not have any confrontation with any employee during my short stint with your company.

I think the Leads should have input in who is hired and fired in there group as they are the ones that have a first hand account of how the employees in his group are actually performing and working.