Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Updated July 7, 2014
Updated July 7, 2014
3.3

Jeff Thompson

Exceptional, patient-focused clinic which values employees.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company really has it all together. I feel valued as an employee and I feel that every patient receives fantastic healthcare. It is satisfying to know that I contribute to such an excellent team. Jeff Thompson, CEO, has stopped to talk to me (a nobody) on multiple occasions just to check in and see how things are going. He parks in the regular employee parking lot, which impressed me.

Cons

It is a bit small town. Sometimes I worry that promotions are based on who you know.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Analyst in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team environment, pay is good, good benefits.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication amongst management downwards.

Keep lines of communication continually moving.

This is how health care should be managed.

Former Employee - Staff Physician in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Staff Physician in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong commitment to evidence-based care, standardization of best practices, and teamwork. Competitive salaries with recognition of extra effort. Integrated health system with excellent implementation of EHR.

Cons

It's in western Wisconsin - there's not much in the way of culture here and the population is pretty homogenous. Some services, while needed (as there's nothing else for miles around) have low volume, making skills hard to keep up and staffing hard to manage.

Continue to listen to clinicians more than bean counters.

Part of a family.

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

Vision - everyone is working toward the same goals.

Cons

Expensive health insurance and always doing more with less.

Great place to work!

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

~supportive manager who allows personal and team growth
    ~opportunities to attend conferences and workshops out-of-state

Cons

~lack of support from the higher-ups
    ~have to work overtime almost every week

I worked there for 20 years and lost my job. Worst department in Gundersen...Transcription

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Onalaska, WI

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was great. Benefits were okay, getting less and less as the years went on. Early on in my career there it was great! Fun staff to work with and very flexible.

Cons

The transcription department specifically at Gundersen Lutheran was very inflexible and treated us a factory workers instead of educated individuals work with confidential and important medical information. It was production, production, production and no care for quality. No other department within that system works this way. They have now eliminated most of the transcriptionists and are outsourcing their work to a transcription company. All very money oriented.

Very poor running of a very important department. I know the quality is gone now from that aspect of the clinic and as a patient I would be worried about what is actually going into my medical record.

Excellent Pension Benefits and Good salary, but...

Current Employee - Family Physician
    Current Employee - Family Physician

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

Patient Care paramount to system.
    Ethics are strong.
    Believe in their Mission and Values.
    Specialists are very knowledgable and very accessible.
    Excellent Clinical Guideline sources from specialities.
    Multiple Awards for Excellence in Medicine given to System.
    Low turnover, but that was changing.
    Adequate CME allowance, but not if used for High travel or hotel cost CME events.
    Business Expenses covered, probably usual amount. I did not use very often.
    Job offer comes quickly if offered.

Cons

Communication poor, although listed as very important. Tons of email once employed, but few of real value to a physician, ie. a lot of IT advisements, or general staff advisements.
    Understaffed, but may be OK in Main Center. Trending to a lot of MA's vs nurses, with very limited abilities related to their lack of education in nursing knowledge. They make poor nurse replacements and therefore poor helpmeets for physicians. Some can be outstanding, but you know they are not going to stay an MA for long.
    Vacation and CME time per usual, but very limited ability to take that time, with increasing restrictions on when one can use it, and then if not used, it disappears.
    Heavy emphasis on Leadership ability and being a Leader, but no time allowances for it. It all must be done on own time.
    Education offered but again own time used.
    No travel time allowances leading to need to be in 2 places at the same time.
    Confusing documentation system for work meetings, CME, vacation, sick time, etc.
    Everything on computer, eg. Doctor Handbook, and the other usual basics usually given in hard copy by other clinic systems, and updated yearly. No knowledge the Handbook existed, I found by accident. It contains essential information not mentioned unless specific questions asked. Need to be very savvy employee, to think of these questions during whirlwind interview visit.
    Interview is indeed whirlwind visit. Recruitment staff good, but there was a period after I accepted offer, where no communication came, and I was beginning to think I imagined it all. Need to establish and maintain contact yourself. They don't seem to have any established routines, but that was 6 years ago.

You are probably still a great place to work (for other people), but communication remains a real issue.
    You are trying hard to balance the Business of Medicine with The Art of Medicine, but times are rolling too quickly to keep up when a large bureaucracy is involved.
    I am a mother too, and I understand it is impossible to keep everyone happy all the time, but perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the main center.
    I received a very nice letter from Jeff Thompson after I began work, stating he would be around to my clinic to meet me and see how things were going. Estimated time line was 3 months. I was impressed it was actually hand signed, although still a form letter. I was still waiting for that meeting at the end of my employment after 4 years. Do not offer what you cannot do.

So So

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

Very good company for Nurses. If you are a nurse with a MBA watch out.

Cons

Company is not business orientated. It is still catching up to common business practices. It is patient focus and not business focus which is good for the patient but so-so for employees.

Really identify great staff and develop the right way.

Management out of touch with employees

Former Employee - Help Desk in Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Onalaska, WI

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

surf the internet all day...no one cares! Earn paid time off quickly

Cons

terrible health care benefits, leadership non existent, lazy co-workers, no cafeteria, terrible parking arrangement, not enough bathrooms

wake-up and take care of your employees!

Managers perceive to be fair with limited resources. Politics overshadow results.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

Employee work hard for one goal: patient care. To be successful an employees must give themselves to the organization and forget about their life work balance.

Cons

Due healthcare reform, benefits will be limited therefore healthcare will have a hard time finding the best talent.

Be more open to hiring other managers other then nurses.