Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

3.1

Jeff Thompson

Great Staff

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

I absolutely loved the employees that I worked with. Since it is a hospital, there are obviously many regulations that need to be followed. My supervisors did a good job of training us on everything that we needed to follow, and were great at communication any changes that were occurring.

Cons

I worked in Dietary, and often the nurses would treat us poorly.

Exceptional, patient-focused clinic which values employees.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company really has it all together. I feel valued as an employee and I feel that every patient receives fantastic healthcare. It is satisfying to know that I contribute to such an excellent team. Jeff Thompson, CEO, has stopped to talk to me (a nobody) on multiple occasions just to check in and see how things are going. He parks in the regular employee parking lot, which impressed me.

Cons

It is a bit small town. Sometimes I worry that promotions are based on who you know.

Management out of touch with employees

Former Employee - Help Desk in Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Onalaska, WI

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

surf the internet all day...no one cares! Earn paid time off quickly

Cons

terrible health care benefits, leadership non existent, lazy co-workers, no cafeteria, terrible parking arrangement, not enough bathrooms

wake-up and take care of your employees!

Being a good employee and serving for many years means absolutely nothing.

Current Employee - BUSINESS SERVICES--Revenue Cycle in Onalaska, WI
    Current Employee - BUSINESS SERVICES--Revenue Cycle in Onalaska, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is ok. Benefits are ok but were better years ago. Supervisors are ok to really good. Management not so much. Great co-workers/team members. Patient care is of the highest importance. Recently I have been working with an awesome team with an awesome supervisor in a job I really like.

Cons

No matter how good your reviews are and no matter how many years you have dedicated to the organization, in the end you are just a number that can be replaced without a thought. They will take you from a position you like and move you into a place you hate because they can't fill it and without even asking for volunteers. This has happened to me 3 times and has just happened again. The higher ups don't really care if employees are happy in their positions or if the employee is even capable of doing a good job in that position they've moved them to,which to me is setting you up for failure. I would think an employer would want to put people into positions they like and are motivated to do well at., that's why people apply for certain positions in the first place. Right now they are taking away all of what my department does,dispersing it to other areas and making us into a completely different department with very different job duties and hours that none of us want. We all really loved what we were doing and now we all just hate coming to work. And if you can't do the hours or the work their answer is to bad, find a different job.

Let people work the jobs they want, are good at and applied for. They'll be a lot more productive and healthy.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Analyst in La Crosse, WI

Pros

Team environment, pay is good, good benefits.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication amongst management downwards.

Keep lines of communication continually moving.

This is how health care should be managed.

Former Employee - Staff Physician in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Staff Physician in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong commitment to evidence-based care, standardization of best practices, and teamwork. Competitive salaries with recognition of extra effort. Integrated health system with excellent implementation of EHR.

Cons

It's in western Wisconsin - there's not much in the way of culture here and the population is pretty homogenous. Some services, while needed (as there's nothing else for miles around) have low volume, making skills hard to keep up and staffing hard to manage.

Continue to listen to clinicians more than bean counters.

Great place to work!

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

~supportive manager who allows personal and team growth
    ~opportunities to attend conferences and workshops out-of-state

Cons

~lack of support from the higher-ups
    ~have to work overtime almost every week

average care for average people, not-state-of-the-art

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

many outlying clinics in areas that need medical care available
    some excellent subspecialists and physical therapists
    some people care

Cons

can't get seen in some departments for 6 months (as new patient)
    patient care when it is convenient for staff, and staff want it to stay this way
    people in management positions want things to stay status quo, don't want to bring care up to date
    communication is terrible both within and between departments

Get rid of the people in management that don't understand that care needs to be up to date and that lying can't be tolerated and is unprofessional.
    Get rid of staff that are not interested in being true, real patient advocates. Too many older employees are coasting instead of working hard for the patient.
    Figure out how to get departments who can't be bothered to see a new patient for 6 months up to speed so that patients are taken care of in a timely fashion. People can't wait that long.
    If you really want to offer state-of-the-art care then find out what that really, really means outside of La Crosse and then do it, or don't advertise that you are right up there with the best.

I worked there for 20 years and lost my job. Worst department in Gundersen...Transcription

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Onalaska, WI

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was great. Benefits were okay, getting less and less as the years went on. Early on in my career there it was great! Fun staff to work with and very flexible.

Cons

The transcription department specifically at Gundersen Lutheran was very inflexible and treated us a factory workers instead of educated individuals work with confidential and important medical information. It was production, production, production and no care for quality. No other department within that system works this way. They have now eliminated most of the transcriptionists and are outsourcing their work to a transcription company. All very money oriented.

Very poor running of a very important department. I know the quality is gone now from that aspect of the clinic and as a patient I would be worried about what is actually going into my medical record.

Excellent Pension Benefits and Good salary, but...

Current Employee - Family Physician
    Current Employee - Family Physician

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

Patient Care paramount to system.
    Ethics are strong.
    Believe in their Mission and Values.
    Specialists are very knowledgable and very accessible.
    Excellent Clinical Guideline sources from specialities.
    Multiple Awards for Excellence in Medicine given to System.
    Low turnover, but that was changing.
    Adequate CME allowance, but not if used for High travel or hotel cost CME events.
    Business Expenses covered, probably usual amount. I did not use very often.
    Job offer comes quickly if offered.

Cons

Communication poor, although listed as very important. Tons of email once employed, but few of real value to a physician, ie. a lot of IT advisements, or general staff advisements.
    Understaffed, but may be OK in Main Center. Trending to a lot of MA's vs nurses, with very limited abilities related to their lack of education in nursing knowledge. They make poor nurse replacements and therefore poor helpmeets for physicians. Some can be outstanding, but you know they are not going to stay an MA for long.
    Vacation and CME time per usual, but very limited ability to take that time, with increasing restrictions on when one can use it, and then if not used, it disappears.
    Heavy emphasis on Leadership ability and being a Leader, but no time allowances for it. It all must be done on own time.
    Education offered but again own time used.
    No travel time allowances leading to need to be in 2 places at the same time.
    Confusing documentation system for work meetings, CME, vacation, sick time, etc.
    Everything on computer, eg. Doctor Handbook, and the other usual basics usually given in hard copy by other clinic systems, and updated yearly. No knowledge the Handbook existed, I found by accident. It contains essential information not mentioned unless specific questions asked. Need to be very savvy employee, to think of these questions during whirlwind interview visit.
    Interview is indeed whirlwind visit. Recruitment staff good, but there was a period after I accepted offer, where no communication came, and I was beginning to think I imagined it all. Need to establish and maintain contact yourself. They don't seem to have any established routines, but that was 6 years ago.

You are probably still a great place to work (for other people), but communication remains a real issue.
    You are trying hard to balance the Business of Medicine with The Art of Medicine, but times are rolling too quickly to keep up when a large bureaucracy is involved.
    I am a mother too, and I understand it is impossible to keep everyone happy all the time, but perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the main center.
    I received a very nice letter from Jeff Thompson after I began work, stating he would be around to my clinic to meet me and see how things were going. Estimated time line was 3 months. I was impressed it was actually hand signed, although still a form letter. I was still waiting for that meeting at the end of my employment after 4 years. Do not offer what you cannot do.