Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Thompson

Exceptional, patient-focused clinic which values employees.

Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsThis company really has it all together. I feel valued as an employee and I feel that every patient receives fantastic healthcare. It is satisfying to know that I contribute to such an excellent team. Jeff Thompson, CEO, has stopped to talk to me (a nobody) on multiple occasions just to check in and see how things are going. He parks in the regular employee parking lot, which impressed me.

ConsIt is a bit small town. Sometimes I worry that promotions are based on who you know.

Management out of touch with employees

Help Desk (Former Employee) Onalaska, WI

Prossurf the internet all day...no one cares! Earn paid time off quickly

Consterrible health care benefits, leadership non existent, lazy co-workers, no cafeteria, terrible parking arrangement, not enough bathrooms

Advice to Senior Managementwake-up and take care of your employees!

Great place to work

Analyst (Current Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsTeam environment, pay is good, good benefits.

ConsSometimes there is a lack of communication amongst management downwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep lines of communication continually moving.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is how health care should be managed.

Staff Physician (Former Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsStrong commitment to evidence-based care, standardization of best practices, and teamwork. Competitive salaries with recognition of extra effort. Integrated health system with excellent implementation of EHR.

ConsIt's in western Wisconsin - there's not much in the way of culture here and the population is pretty homogenous. Some services, while needed (as there's nothing else for miles around) have low volume, making skills hard to keep up and staffing hard to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to clinicians more than bean counters.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros~supportive manager who allows personal and team growth
    ~opportunities to attend conferences and workshops out-of-state

Cons~lack of support from the higher-ups
    ~have to work overtime almost every week

average care for average people, not-state-of-the-art

Prosmany outlying clinics in areas that need medical care available
    some excellent subspecialists and physical therapists
    some people care

Conscan't get seen in some departments for 6 months (as new patient)
    patient care when it is convenient for staff, and staff want it to stay this way
    people in management positions want things to stay status quo, don't want to bring care up to date
    communication is terrible both within and between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people in management that don't understand that care needs to be up to date and that lying can't be tolerated and is unprofessional.
    Get rid of staff that are not interested in being true, real patient advocates. Too many older employees are coasting instead of working hard for the patient.
    Figure out how to get departments who can't be bothered to see a new patient for 6 months up to speed so that patients are taken care of in a timely fashion. People can't wait that long.
    If you really want to offer state-of-the-art care then find out what that really, really means outside of La Crosse and then do it, or don't advertise that you are right up there with the best.

I worked there for 20 years and lost my job. Worst department in Gundersen...Transcription

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Onalaska, WI

ProsPay was great. Benefits were okay, getting less and less as the years went on. Early on in my career there it was great! Fun staff to work with and very flexible.

ConsThe transcription department specifically at Gundersen Lutheran was very inflexible and treated us a factory workers instead of educated individuals work with confidential and important medical information. It was production, production, production and no care for quality. No other department within that system works this way. They have now eliminated most of the transcriptionists and are outsourcing their work to a transcription company. All very money oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery poor running of a very important department. I know the quality is gone now from that aspect of the clinic and as a patient I would be worried about what is actually going into my medical record.

Excellent Pension Benefits and Good salary, but...

Family Physician (Current Employee)

ProsPatient Care paramount to system.
    Ethics are strong.
    Believe in their Mission and Values.
    Specialists are very knowledgable and very accessible.
    Excellent Clinical Guideline sources from specialities.
    Multiple Awards for Excellence in Medicine given to System.
    Low turnover, but that was changing.
    Adequate CME allowance, but not if used for High travel or hotel cost CME events.
    Business Expenses covered, probably usual amount. I did not use very often.
    Job offer comes quickly if offered.

ConsCommunication poor, although listed as very important. Tons of email once employed, but few of real value to a physician, ie. a lot of IT advisements, or general staff advisements.
    Understaffed, but may be OK in Main Center. Trending to a lot of MA's vs nurses, with very limited abilities related to their lack of education in nursing knowledge. They make poor nurse replacements and therefore poor helpmeets for physicians. Some can be outstanding, but you know they are not going to stay an MA for long.
    Vacation and CME time per usual, but very limited ability to take that time, with increasing restrictions on when one can use it, and then if not used, it disappears.
    Heavy emphasis on Leadership ability and being a Leader, but no time allowances for it. It all must be done on own time.
    Education offered but again own time used.
    No travel time allowances leading to need to be in 2 places at the same time.
    Confusing documentation system for work meetings, CME, vacation, sick time, etc.
    Everything on computer, eg. Doctor Handbook, and the other usual basics usually given in hard copy by other clinic systems, and updated yearly. No knowledge the Handbook existed, I found by accident. It contains essential information not mentioned unless specific questions asked. Need to be very savvy employee, to think of these questions during whirlwind interview visit.
    Interview is indeed whirlwind visit. Recruitment staff good, but there was a period after I accepted offer, where no communication came, and I was beginning to think I imagined it all. Need to establish and maintain contact yourself. They don't seem to have any established routines, but that was 6 years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are probably still a great place to work (for other people), but communication remains a real issue.
    You are trying hard to balance the Business of Medicine with The Art of Medicine, but times are rolling too quickly to keep up when a large bureaucracy is involved.
    I am a mother too, and I understand it is impossible to keep everyone happy all the time, but perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the main center.
    I received a very nice letter from Jeff Thompson after I began work, stating he would be around to my clinic to meet me and see how things were going. Estimated time line was 3 months. I was impressed it was actually hand signed, although still a form letter. I was still waiting for that meeting at the end of my employment after 4 years. Do not offer what you cannot do.

Managers perceive to be fair with limited resources. Politics overshadow results.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsEmployee work hard for one goal: patient care. To be successful an employees must give themselves to the organization and forget about their life work balance.

ConsDue healthcare reform, benefits will be limited therefore healthcare will have a hard time finding the best talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to hiring other managers other then nurses.

Its not its all hyped up to be

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsThat you are employed and have an income thats about all I can think of at this point in time

ConsGreed is rearing its ugly head. They are always emphasizing the importance of the patients but they dont stop and think the employees are a big percentage of their patients

Advice to Senior ManagementGreed is rearing its ugly head. They are always emphasizing the importance of the patients but they dont stop and think the employees are a big percentage of their patients

Worked for Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!