Gurstel Chargo

Too much office drama!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really casual work environment. Very little supervision, some good people to work with.

Cons

Drama with co workers! And way more of a place to socialize and hook up then have a career or move up. Preferential treatment is given when you are hooking up or partying with the right attorney. Very unprofessional office environment and no one there for months to see what goes on.

Consider being present more or hiring someone in management that isn't caught up in all the drama of girls competing for a particular attorney's attention. Pay attention to the communication between the staff and attorneys during the day, frustrating that when some girls do nothing it falls on other people to do while they are busy being friends one minute and fighting over attention from an attorney that's just as useless the next.

Worst Company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good parking and casual dress. Hard working attorneys and staff. First week of employment a was a good experience. Secure building.

Cons

Not given the time or proper training to learn their very outdated and extremely difficult case management system. Lost 5 key emplyees during my very short time with the firm. A select few get opportunities for promotion. Very poor HR department. Owners are absent and only interested in making money. Managers and leads are all very young, immature, and unable to manage their departments. Very little law experience among attorneys and staff. Only a select few support staff with law experience. Confidentiality is a joke and they only get their ducks in a row when a client is showing up for an audit. Low pay and poor benefits.

Appreciate your employees. A "thank you" would be nice, in person, not in a mass email or with some corny prize drawing. You have lost some very talented people who never had the chance to do what they do best. Need to offer competitive benefits and pay.

Oust the Owner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time

Pros

The initial welcome by fellow employees is fine. You don't have to wear a suit on a daily basis, can even wear jeans.

Cons

The owner is immature and bitter. Puts earning a dollar before client's best interests. Does not set reasonable goals nor expectations. Seems threatened by other men in the office. At one point during my tenure, there were no other men in the office.

Treat employees with respect.

The worst experience I've ever had!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, can wear jeans all of the time, great location, free coffee.

Cons

No patience to have me learn position when I had never done it before. Let me go without any explanation; no discussion as to "why". Completely caught me blindsided. Left a long-term contract job for the position. A reliable and reputable company takes the time to discuss any concerns in the first month of employment. A very poor trainer who didn't care if I understood or not. Would not explain why they "let me go"; told me to write them formally with the question and never responded to me. Have worked for much better and productive companies. Never work there! It is a horrible place! Boss never said "hello" to me or discussed satisfaction or dissatisfaction.

Great company atmosphere.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, great company atmosphere, supportive administrative structure, opportunity for professional growth for right individual, pay and benefits competitive for type of work.

Cons

Streamlined system creates repetitive position instead of offering a variety of duties. Position became incredibly boring in a short period of time.

HAPPY TO HAVE MOVED ON

Former Employee - Former in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Former in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual dress and flexible schedule ( sometimes)...would not have put that but they force you to have at least 5 words in your pros section. If Glass Door had to work at GC they may put a "No Comment" section here

Cons

Just about everything else. Constant changes and no consistency. A small few are allowed to be successful and do what they want so long as they parrot the company line. Every department is under staffed and overworked. They constantly eliminate positions and just load the work onto others. A lot of finger pointing and berating by management, along with no real leadership.

Time for a change. Value your people

Miserable place to work!

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time

Pros

Casual work environment. Managers are overall good people.

Cons

Owners operate the business on their emotional response of the moment. Staff is constantly shifted from one fire to another without any regard to the long term goal. The owners expect more and more out of already exhausted employees to increase their own profit. Clients are not the top concern. The firm constantly tells their employees that they do not work hard enough and need to do better at monthly firm wide meetings.

Reward employees that work hard without demoralizing them to do more.

Going Under

Former Employee - Coordinator in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual Work Environment, good parking, located in a convenient location, secure building

Cons

Management is there to sell an image that doesn't exist. The company is going under. No more 401k contribution. They have gotten rid of key employees on a weekly basis. No loyalty. Employees are treated as if they should be grateful to be there rather than a valued asset.

honesty, reliability, stability

Not worth it here needs new management

Current Employee - Arizona Legal Admin Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Arizona Legal Admin Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress. Good parking. Nice location, lots of places to have lunch.

Cons

Head attorney is inappropriate and childish. Engages is gossip and is extremely moody every other day of the week. Assistant manager and manager are unreliable and are not helpful. Both cannot handle tasks and become agressive when told someone is in need of help. "Leads"/team managers and legal staff work hard but are not rewarded. It has been a few months working here and I have seen 4 people quit. Like said a few months but few months too long.

Empty promises and regular threats

Former Employee - Collector in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Collector in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, salaried position.

Cons

They expect you to work 60 hours per week on salary or they will find a reason to fire you. All they care about is numbers. Boss sent inappropriate, threatening emails regularly which destroyed morale.

Try treating employees with respect and compassion. Numbers are not the only thing that matters. Letting tyrants treat people however they see fit is NOT the way to retain employees.