Gurstel Chargo Reviews

1. If you are looking for IT employment BEWARE

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some great people to work with there. The benefits are decent, not the greatest.

Cons

No one at the top understands IT or the IT needs of this company, the director ultimately in charge of IT being himself no exception. They've been often given, but usually ignore reports, about the very poor state of their IT systems (servers, etc) and network infrastructure. Salary for what you're expected to take on as a sys admin or db admin or programmer is pitifully low and raises are nonexistent, unless you threaten to quit. This may have changed since I left, but it's doubtful. Expect excess disorder and stress in your life while working here as an IT employee. The workstations are a collection or random models and brands, many of them very old. The servers are about the same. The applications and software are definitely the same. There was no, and probably still is no, clear IT budget for yearly maintenance, upgrades, licensing, etc.

Advice to Management

Get real and hire good people and treat them good and give them what they need to succeed, and by doing that, you will ensure the health of the lifeblood of your company, that being IT! The collectors can't make you money if your network is down or servers are crashing. And you can't throw a bunch of money at IT in the beginning years of your company and then let it slide for years on end. If you don't recognize that big business in the 21st century lives and breaths with solid IT practices in the background, get out of business.

2. brief experience, tough working environment

Former Employee - Attorney in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Attorney in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lots of courtroom experience
    no billable hours

Cons

long hours
    lots of paperwork
    interesting dynamic between collectors and attorneys

3. Good job with "downfalls"

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office building. Free coffee! Most Co-workers are very helpful. Management has goals and you are encouraged and empowered to improve your own process. Very soon, I was independently responsible for codes which gave me the confidence that I make a difference to a business. Good to know that there is a true open door policy and my concerns have been heard and followed up on by management making the work environment better. The fast paced environment makes your day fly by!

Cons

The business is driven by the economy. Very fast paced, high volume environment and if you do not like that type of environment then this is not the job for you. The downfall of the office is that there are a lot of young and immature individuals at the AZ location that have made the environment feel like a high school. These individuals attack management when the rules are upheld (like children upset when their parents say no). Slowly I've seen the children leaving because they do not know how to follow rules and they feel that they do not need to follow company policy.

Advice to Management

Continue watching peoples time truly working and not slacking. Review the cameras more as I think you would see more going on (or not) with the personnel. Continue rewarding employees and making the workplace fun.

Hell hole

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo

Pros

There are no pros working here.

Cons

This is the worst place to work for. Todd is always talking smack about his employees right in front of them. He is never satisfied with what is done, he always wants more and more. If you work over time to get the things done, sometimes they don't even pay you for the extra hours and no one ever appreciates it. They fired someone for getting pregnant, they use all your PTO hours without you even knowing. You don't get any sick days. Management has their favorite and get easily manipulated by its employees. Forget about teamwork, all the leads are selfish and don't care about their teams. Every man for themselves, accountability DOES NOT MATTER. This place sucks. This firm is never going to get better because Todd is a selfish man who doesn't give a crap about anyone else but the money he makes.

Fun Job! I've learned so much!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the family type atmosphere. The position helped me learn more about the legal process. Was really glad when HR stepped in and got rid of a lot of toxic employees at this location. These toxic employees have been there for years and feel a sense of entitlement to being able to come and go as they pleased and who constantly would break rules and cause office drama . These toxic employees are usually the ones that go on Glass door to smear the company's name and then hid behind the anonymous signature.

Cons

Never a lack of work to be done. Need more senior leadership in the AZ office on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees that have been with the company and new employees that have a fresh perspective. More recognition to those that do a good job all the time.

TERRIBLE place to work, HR discriminates and unprofessional management.

Former Employee - Arizona Legal Administrative Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Arizona Legal Administrative Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, ability to work overtime.

Cons

I was working at Gurstel Chargo for 5 months as one of the top performing employees in the Arizona office. However, I was pregnant while working at the firm. I was told that maternity leave would be offered when the time came for me to have my baby, but over the new year I was admitted to the hospital for an emergency delivery. I informed my manager and HR that I was in the hospital and would be for a few days as my life was in danger. After I informed HR that I had delivered my baby, I was terminated. For an office full of lawyers you would think they would know what discrimination is. I was let go for having a baby, then told that I could reapply and come back when I decide to go back to work. Gurstel Chargo doesn't care about their employees AT ALL! On multiple occasions I have heard the manager gossiping about other people in the office. Completely unprofessional.
    I wish I had read these reviews before I took the job at this firm. Hard work goes unnoticed, then they just throw more work into your pile. They REFUSE to give out raises and lie when it comes to bonuses. RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to your employees and reward the people who are doing good for your company. There are many people you let get away doing the bare minimum while you punish the hard workers. It's disgusting.

Unprofessional Low Ball Law Firm where "Accountability" is unheard of.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo

Pros

There were some really nice gals working there. One older lady was just awsome, encouraging, and helpful. My team was a group of nice young responsible ladies that worked extremly hard.

Cons

Didn't work there long. Was alarmed within the first few weeks of the high turn over of people. Everyone was stressed and overworked. The owner came around different teams asking the very very stressed out leads about his goals. He'd said something like nice job getting out 300+ lawsuits, but I need a thousand by month's end. With (9 day's left). He talked down loudly to the blond manager and was pretty condescending. I was let go w/o explanation. I was told to ask in writing to Minnesota H.R. Never heard back. A complete nightmare of a job.

Advice to Management

The owner should take management classes and get down to relate to "his people". He acted like a Pharoh over his slaves.The owner should be slapped for his condecending demeanor. HR in Minnesota is obviously clueless to the talent and management they have in Arizona. I heard there are other state locations, hopefully not all employees are treated as badly as I witnessed here in the Arizona office. Embrace your young leaders and value your management team.

Very welcoming environment!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual but professional environment. Positive employees who are very willing to help you learn your job. Loved the first week of training and getting to know the different departments and what they do.

Cons

Sometimes hard to find a parking spot.

Advice to Management

Continue to acknowledge, reward, and recognize employees. It goes a long way and keeps people wanting to work there!

Worst working experience of my career

Former Employee - Paralegal in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, learn new things, not sure what else is a pro but I have to put at least 20 words

Cons

Office drama, HR has no sense of what is going on in the office because they are not in Arizona. HR is extremely inappropriate and could easily have lawsuit on their hands for the way they have treated people. People usually only last a few months and move on due to boredom and being over worked. Anyone who has last longer then a few months is only there to make a little extra cash so they can move on to better things. To much socializing outside of work between co-workers. Especially between paralegals and attorneys. Way over-worked with no promotions. Absolutely the worst paying company I have ever worked for. The owner reacts based off of emotions with little to no sense of what reasonable goals are. Never receive any positive feedback, always negative. They pretend to have flexibility but even management makes comments when your not in the office. Would never advise anyone to work in this office. Would never advise clients to hire this firm.

Advice to Management

Not going to bother, nothing changes.

Sweatshop. Terrible place to work

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The associates to work with. Makes it bearable.

Cons

The firm demands unreasonable workloads. Monthly rah rah meetings that don't mean anything other than let's work harder next month. Stupid games instead of truthful incentives. Training is obsolete. Absolutely no growth potential. The benefits are outrageously expensive. No overtime over 40 hr wk unless by chance its a full week in a pay period (1 in 3) which means you work overtime and get paid straight time. Happens all the time and they expect you to do it if your not meeting your numbers/goals. There is a constant, constant turnover of employees.

Advice to Management

Advice to owner: Your slogan is "ACCOUNTABILITY MATTERS". Be accountable to your hardworking staff. Keep your word. If you promise an extra $100 bonus at the end of the year, (when monthly goal not reached) give it to us. Two years straight we were told at two different monthly firmwide meetings: "Hey good job all of you. Thanks for your hard work; Mitch and I (Todd) decided to give you the extra bonus at years end on top of the month or months we make goal". You gave us nothing. Even a nickel raise is a great shot in the arm! Give a little monetary incentive to those that truly work hard daily,weekly, monthly yearly and not keep everyone at the same pay rate. Cut the slackers that are always on their cell phones.