Guthy-Renker Reviews

Updated March 4, 2015
65 reviews filtered by
2.9
Seth Radwell and Georg Ritcher

Pros
  • Great people to work with and great upper management to work for (in 9 reviews)

• Good room for growth if you put the time in (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Top Heavy with Redundant, Incompetent Management: (in 4 reviews)

• Office politics is a full-contact sport, leading to a high turnover rate (in 4 reviews)

Top heavy organization in needed of a Peter Pan coming to the rescue

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

New committee allows for more fun activities company wide
    Opportunities to get bonuses

Cons

Company has way to many executives, senior of executives and directors
    More meetings than more time on the floor which compromises meeting deadlines and employees staying later or working on personal time
    Not enough acknowledgment for those employees that go above and beyond. What happened to the Employee of the Week and why are there employees that do not know the program EXISTS!!
    Since there are so many in middle & upper management, there is not much opportunity to "climb the ladder". There should be more opportunities for career advancement.

Let's talk Town Hall..why this is an exceptional concept, the meeting is starting to sound like a tap dance session with the questions not being addressed and not really easing your employees concerns.

Mar 10, 2015Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for commenting. Hopefully with the survey feedback we got from the Town Hall and our desire to learn how to improve the work experience of all employees, these issues will resolve.

Once a great company...

I have been working at Guthy-Renker

Pros

Casual attire, flexible hours, great place to gain experience in various departments. Decent benefits and salary.

Cons

Company demands unrealistic timelines. Many projects have no value added and are often discarded after time and money has been spent working on it.

Departments don't communicate. It's frustrating when multiple people are requesting the same information. Some days it's like a hamster on a hamster wheel. And always CYA..they are quick to point fingers.

The inability to have offices in multiple locations. Many successful companies have offices all around the world. Having everyone under one roof will not improve collaboration. If new technology is such a BIG topic how about video conferencing.

No loyalty to employees...

Less Directors, Sr. Directors, and managers. Invest in the people that do the work. Invest less $ on poor thought out systems. Save $ smart. Don't cut jobs just to show head count reduction. Don't forget employees make a business. Lastly, you want employees to feel comfortable asking questions then keep your cool and answer professionally. Public speaking training is recommended for those individuals.

Mar 9, 2015Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

It's precisely by moving departments and employees together in one location that we will reduce what you complain of: "departments not
    ... More

Exhausting

Current Employee - Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic! It's very easy to make friends here.

Standard benefits are offered here, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K -- the prices have risen which is a bummer, but better than nothing.

They also offer weekly yoga and pilates for employees only (not contractors) during lunch if you can really miss that much work.

They are located in Santa Monica which can be a Pro or Con depending where you are coming from, but the area is nice, and there are lots of places to eat and have coffee. They are near the airport which makes me wonder if the exhaust isn't creating the chronic illness' that frequent the people here.

There is a committee of people who really try to boost morale and the company actually financially supports a lot of this by giving them small budgets for certain holiday events, an annual Dodger game, and other small events throughout the year.

There are a lot of new faces which can be nice because they are optimistic and can bring fresh ideas (I always have hope that they can survive here and keep that optimism).

Because of the difficult climate here, you learn diplomacy, which isn't necessarily fun to learn but very valuable.

Cons

They seem to always be chasing a "Moving Target" and have never quite hit it, not even when it was right in front of them.

There has been a lot of restructuring and bringing on of new teams that are simply either not needed or not appropriately folded into the business. You can work here for years and not know what people do only to find out they could easily cross pollenate into your area of the business and do some good.

There are so many side or special projects going on behind the backs of other groups; they seem to forget we are all on the same team, but competition/ego easily get in the way here...this is unfortunate to the customer and the hard working employees. This also creates double the work and hours of wasted time.

There are many, many hard working people here who genuinely would like to see company perform better, but they are viewed as troublemakers or just ignored when they want to create positive change.

This is a very reactive place, at first glance it appears to be run by people with very little experience, but in actuality are fearful to speak up to senior management and this trickles down to the little people who must do the work and make sense of it all. There is a history of accepted tyrannical behavior here, and it still exists today. No room for questioning whatsoever, just get it done.

Process, another word heard in the halls, and often followed by and eye-roll. There simply is a breakdown in process here, so much effort goes into trying to fix something that needs to be gutted from top to bottom, along with some of the people. I don't even want to think how much money was spent on these process review boards and lengthy management meetings to fix something still broken till this very day. Such a waste. Why spend money on these groups to come in and review process if you don't take their advice in fixing it??

Layoffs are becoming quite customary here, you can expect this to occasionally happen at any business maybe once a year with just a few people at a time, but these layoffs are the norm and have increased to multiple times per year with larger numbers of people each time.

I think this company once looked good on a resume, but now I feel a bit embarrassed having had worked here.

The good reviews as of late, well, I really think someone in the company is writing those to bolster company culture and mitigate the poor reviews.

If you do choose to work here, don't stay long, get your experience and go.

Do better, do your job and not the jobs of other people. Trust the people you hired, stop micromanaging.

The work-life-balance is wavering greatly year after year, there are a lot more people working after hours, a simple thank you goes a long way.

Own YOUR failures and stop pointing out others in these all employee/department meetings, it's shocking to hear and only makes you look bad.

Thank key players, not just the people delivering the final product to you.

Pause for a minute and ask yourselves how the decisions you are rapid firing so quickly, and changing course on a daily basis effect the groups of people who have to make things happen. I often wonder if you even realize how reactive and destructive this is.

Take more risks (by actually utilize the amazing people in the building, and listening to the customer). Everything is so safe and so recycled, you have lost touch with the employee and the customer. How many years did it take you to understand that web and mobile weren't some temporary trend? It's here to stay.

Stop allowing outside companies to run your business, YOU run it, and trust the people in the building to run it, crazy I know but it just might work.

5. Anonymous

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker

Pros

good perks and company benefits

Cons

confused, can not decide what to do next

Care for your people

6. Great learning environment, but poor career advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-free pilates and yoga classes at lunch time
    -work among very smart and intelligent people
    -great learning opportunities to help you do your job well.

Cons

-lack opportunities for career advancement
    -not many company days off (holidays)
    -busy work environment, sometimes can be hostile

Feb 17, 2015Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I agree, as a fairly small company, it's hard to find (and create) opportunities to move up when you are ready to move up. At a company our ... More

Lack of transparency on goals to be measured, and goals to drive to success.

Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker

Pros

Office hour has taken into consideration of traffic and location.

Cons

The company is controlled by a few people. One has to suck it up and / or "kiss" them in order to survey. Not to mention open up to admit mistakes, and make process improvement.

Set goals that are measureable, balance long terms and short term benefits, bring various teams together.

Good place to grow and learn, when starting off. Some bureaucracy/inefficiency.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Guthy-Renker has been a fantastic place for me to learn and grow as a software engineer. I've been lucky to have some excellent, patient, and very supportive engineering mentors. My skills, speed, and efficiency have grown dramatically.

- They had an office reorganization a few months ago, where most people changed cubicles or offices. I got an excellent new work situation that let me be near my immediate colleagues and increased my productivity.

- People are friendly, helpful, and good-natured. I love the Indian potluck, bacon dish contest, and Halloween party our whole office did.

- They have free yoga and pilates classes from Tuesdays to Thursdays at lunch. I didn't take advantage of them as much as I should, but I'm grateful Guthy cares to provide them.

- The hours are reasonable, which gives people time to have a life and family. Most people in the office are gone by 7 pm. This summer they even had Summer Fridays, which meant everyone could leave by 3 pm Fridays.

- They let people work from home sometimes and give leeway for you to take care of personal things, like your kids or personal appointments. I really appreciate this, after going through a more cutthroat, pressure cooker atmosphere at startups or in other careers.

Cons

- Bureaucratic and inefficient IT onboarding processes, especially when you need something from NetOps. It can take days to set up your computer accounts, voice mail, and give you access to repositories. You always must "fill out a ticket" for everything, which then goes through at least 2 people before something gets done.

- Our group didn't have access to something we needed for months from another IT group. We'd bring this up every week, but resolving this took months, without someone telling us: "For sure, we'll get this done by [specific time]."

- So many different groups and departments that you can feel lost. Groups don't usually talk to or work closely with each other, so the left hand may not know what the right hand is doing. Another group began duplicating an effort that my group was already doing, until someone stopped them. Lack of regular intergroup communication. Coming from the startup world, it was weird for me to not know my colleagues or what people sitting one cubicle row down were doing.

- Too many meetings, some which can be meandering. Software engineers just want to code and have as few meetings as possible, unless they are something that will help them more directly get their jobs done.

- Lack of a group cafeteria prevents us from getting to talk to or know people from other groups and departments. Even after several months at the company, I still have not had a chance to sit down or socialize with most people in the office.

- Technologies are more legacy and not cutting edge. The company is still using old technologies from 10 years ago. It's slowly changing to new technologies, but it's not a place to work with the hottest new stuff.

- Lack or code reviews, technical talks, and chance to learn about new technologies outside of your group. Even though we have various technical expertise here, we don't have any technical talk series to learn about what other groups are really doing, from a hardcore technical view. We don't have code reviews, where as a group, you closely examine someone's code to learn how to write it better. The company has a "lunch and learn" series, which is only once in a while, but I worry it may not be technically deep enough for engineers.

- Management is mostly NOT technical, so they can't help teach engineers or help them grow technically.

- Have a general cafeteria or some eating place where employees can regularly bump into people from other departments and really get to know each other.

- Have a technical talk series and code reviews, so we engineers can better improve our technical skills and feel we're more connected to the cutting edge outside.

- Reduce frequency of meetings and only have them when really necessary.

- Increase speed and efficiency of getting IT requests done. It should take a day to set up all the accounts, voicemail, and security access for new employees, not several days or a week.

- Give higher priority to getting requests done by NetOps, so they don't sit around for months.

- Support more technical education and development for engineers. Engineers are mainly attracted to tough, interesting technical challenges, plus the chance to keep learning the latest new technologies. Give us more a chance to do that. Support us for going to conferences, further education, etc.

Good company. Top heavy. Mostly talented people who care. make sure management is aware of your contributions -
     shine

I worked at Guthy-Renker

Pros

committed to improvement and weeding out the slackers.

Cons

Too much politics. Too many meetings.

Embrace team. give credit where it is due. Train senior leadership on respectful management and employee interaction.

Supply Chain

I have been working at Guthy-Renker

Pros

Great place to learn, great benefits, fun culture, great people to interact with, good location, fun activities.

Cons

The Supply Chain environment at Guthy-Renker is very stressful. It is difficult to keep up with the daily tasks when management is constantly switching priorities, and then pointing the finger when everything doesn't get completed. You will definitely get thrown under the bus at some point, regardless of how great your work is. You will be upper management's scapegoat & punching bag for whatever is going wrong in their personal or work life. Recently there has been high turnover, because employees are getting fed up with being yelled at instead of mentored, encouraged and coached. If you work long hours it is rarely noticed, but if you are even 5 minutes late then you are at risk of being on the 'oh crap' list. If you enjoy the constant flow of adrenaline from fear, then this is the place for you.

Take a look around at how many people are leaving the department; people don't leave jobs, they leave managers/directors/upper management.

My time at Guthy-Renker was one of the most rewarding experiences of my career.

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing and the culture is supportive. Guthy|Renker has a good balance of trial and error with accountability and structure. In particular, the embracing of new technologies and willingness to invest in modernization efforts helped me succeed at Guthy|Renker. The IT Management team is especially adept and was one of the best I've ever been a part of. I experienced true and honest collaboration with no politics whatsoever.

I was afforded the opportunity to travel to many of Guthy|Renker's International facilities to assess and recommend technology strategy. The places I visited and the people I met were extraordinary. I literally was able to "see the world" while helping Guthy|Renker plan for the future.

I was also a part of some acquisitions during my time at Guthy|Renker. Those opportunities broadened my experiences and selfishly expanded my professional network in some very profound ways.

Cons

When I first started at Guthy|Renker, some key challenges were lack of recruiting support, top-down communication, and lack of leadership in some critical IT manager roles. However, these were all addressed during my four years at Guthy|Renker. The biggest "Con" I have is that I don't work there anymore!

Keep your mid-level leadership in tact and keep up the communication efforts e.g. town halls, Yammer, etc.