Guthy-Renker

Add Photos

Guthy-Renker CEO Ben Van De Bunt

Ben Van De Bunt

Great Potential to be a "5 star" workplace, still hopeful

Current Employee (Current Employee)
Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary, Co-Workers, Work hours and time off when needed

ConsToxic environment, disparity in employee standards between work groups, managers pick favorites, no real-time evaluation on performance, no recognition for good performance, little chance of upward mobility within the company (except for nepotism and brown-nosing), highly political environment with a lot of knee-capping and backstabbing of co-workers.

Advice to Senior Management- Be open to suggestions from those who report to you.
- Beware when employees take pleasure in reporting fellow employees' transgressions
- Invite dissenting opinions, you might find out something important that you don't already know (no, you are not omniscient)
- Stop killing the messengers. When you don't like what you hear, perhaps its because the "yes-men" are shielding from you... no ignorance is not bliss.
- Be consistent with standards. Every work group should be held accountable for his/her own job performance. No one should get a pass...based on who brown-noses

General

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time

ProsGood product and hard working employees. Compensation and Benefits fiarly in line with marketplace and in sme cases a notch above.

ConsProliferation of C-Level positions. Imbalance between C-level and ranks underneath for an organization of this size. Seems C-Levels take care of themselves at the expense of ranks underneath them.

Advice to Senior ManagementRationalize number of C-Level roles.

Great organization, amazing colleagues, and a positively evolving culture

Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunity to be seen and heard, to really affect change and get things done. Super friendly people and a fun work environment. This is a company that pioneered the DR industry and has been evolving for 25 years = tons of respect in the industry and a business model that works.

ConsThis probably isn’t the place for you if you like rigid structure, clearly defined roles and being silo’d into one area. We all wear many hats and have to be comfortable with jobs that can encompass many different things.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening. We see the positive changes that are being made and know you are.

Good people, good culture, good opportunities

Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSince 2012, GR has been internally transforming and recognized changes needed to be made. I joined in 2013 and so far I see GR making great stride to better streamline process, solicit employee feedback and take a more mindful approach to employee development.

Town Halls are held once a month to communicate key projects and strategies.

Culture promotes wellness and tons of perks are offered.

ConsStill operating in many areas like a mom & pop shop versus the mid-size $1.5B company that GR is today.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making positive changes for both the business and your people.

Upper Management not in touch with its work force

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time

ProsThe people and laid-back atmosphere

ConsNepotism
Politics
Low salaries
Division between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementStart supporting your lower-level employees by creating an environment where they can grow and advance in their department.

Overcrowded Psych Ward

Poor Fool (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* Consistent paycheck.
* Basic medical benefits, 401(k)
* Most people are friendly & fun

Cons* Too many departments, with too many SVPs, VPs, and Directors; each with their own set of "issues"

* Everyone seems to be related, married, roommates, or in some way attached outside of work.

* It takes way too much to get fired here. You are allowed to perform poorly and cost the company money/time so long as you do not insult anyone (with an office) personally or embarrass anyone (with an office)

* Toxic and Hostile environment. Most people there start off with high hopes and a bright attitude, and then quickly become ill, stressed, and generally unpleasant to be around.

* It is fully excepted for 'average' employees to be yelled at by anyone with an office and told to just deal with it. If an 'average' employee makes the slightest attempt to offer an explanation, this will cause the ego of the mgr to fracture.

* Morale is almost non-exsistent and worse each day. Many people, specifically mgt either come in late & leave early -OR- some of use come in work thru lunch and stay several hours late on a regular and it goes unrecognized.

* Very high turn over, this goes for mgt and employees.

* Rare to promote from within; or hire, it's turning into a Contractors only zone and they treat Contractors like outsiders

* No one knows what they are doing, and everyone is afraid to admit it, so they pretend problems don't exist.

* They invest in failing brands or new schemes, but not the employees, they do lay-offs to mitigate this and have the nerve to say how many millions they saved, yet didn't give decent bonuses, and gave out no raises this year! These bonuses were not based on merit, so everyone got the same, even those who performed poorly!

Advice to Senior ManagementDeflate your ego and get over yourselves, every meeting does not have to be a epic battle or dramatic soap opera performance of how you and your team slaves away as if others do not. Show your teams some respect. Stop fighting amongst each other, pointing fingers and playing the blame game. There needs to be a checks & balances system in place or a better performance review in place for employees to review management. We do not feel valued and this needs to be fixed.

Good

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for less than a year

ProsFun loving people,no micro management,great benefits

ConsCultural differences,too many people join and lot more people leave every month

Toxic Environment, No Values, Unethical Practices

Digital (Former Employee)

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time

ProsGood salary. Can't think of much else.

Cons- Highly political and toxic environment
- Land-grabbing VP's with only their own agenda and advancement in mind
- Company values - Make more money for Guthy and Renker
- No leadership development, no team building
- Toxic personalities thrive here, you must be willing to play dirty to be successful
- Unqualified people leading large departments
- Intentional misleading of customers around continuity program
- Guthy-Renker is nothing more than a modern day "snake oil" vendor
- Tacky place filled with tacky people

Advice to Senior ManagementTo all you toxic GR leaders...please stay at GR. We don't want you out here infecting the rest of us.

Developer

Developer (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Guthy-Renker as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPaycheck(s)
The best thing about working for Guthy was quitting Guthy.

ConsWalking through the door in the morning and everything that happens after.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit lying to yourself. You are not qualified to evaluate what you need to hire. You guys operate in confusion because you are lazy.

PRODUCERS
1. I need the task information correct and the instructions accurate.
Please format for readability.
Please have the standups reflect all the tickets in development and the developers working on them.
Please coordinate the tickets to avoid people over wrting others work.

DEVELOPMENT
1. I need the task(s) assigned to me that are gunthy specific explained.
Please be aware of the tickets the producers are assigning to me and plan accordingly.

QA
1. I need time to fix things before release.
Please assign the task in enough time to 1. sort out the information and instructions, 2. set up dev, 3. push to staging, 4. push to qa, 5. apply fies and changes.

Developers=JOKE
Producres=Entitled Brat

If you want your work environment to feel like a cafeteria or a playground with a bunch of snot nose brats being bullies or snobs you'll fit in.

Could be better, could be worse!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- great benefits
- great salary
- great people in the lower ranks
- work/life balance is good

Cons- office location is on the expensive Westside of LA; since you cannot commute in LA you have to pay high rent for living
- does not really support home office
- nepotism
- COO cuts whatever is a threat for his bonus
- great products but very sensitive to economy (consumer products)
- no thinking about sustainability
- very aggressive marketing strategies
- IT infrastructure and vendors are inefficient patchwork

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire and fire. People changes their lives for you. Think before you open the doors for new members of staff.

Worked for Guthy-Renker? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guthy-Renker reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guthy-Renker CEO Ben Van De Bunt. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Guthy-Renker employees.