Guy Carpenter

Alex Moczarski

wonderful

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

large company with many opportunities, good benefits, good center city location (Phila), nice co-workers

Cons

changing management so you have to be flexible and keep an open mind

don't forget to ask/include the person in the trenches

Misshapen Organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Others have complained about low pay but if you are talented you will get a nice increase on your way in. There are plenty of reasonable hard-working people in the company.

Cons

There are many. Someone else made this comment but it's not beneficial to be in any group other than broking. Some seriously brazen personalities who lack the ability to treat people with respect. The office environment could use a serious morale boost as well. Reporting increases in revenues and earnings without any appreciable change in culture or bonus potential doesn't help anyone.

Finally, dead weight -- there is lots of it. Tons of folks near the top who seemingly do little of anything and plenty in the trenches who lead to huge fixed costs without a blip of productivity.

Get rid of dead weight.

Global Reinsurance Firm

I have been working at Guy Carpenter full-time

Pros

Numerous opportunities, and large organization

Cons

Salary could be more competitive

An ok place to start

I worked at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Strong networking possibilities. Company promotes an atmosphere of continuous leaning

Cons

Not great compensation compared to other similar companies. If you don't fit in exactly with the companies culture and values you won't go far.

Loved working at Guy Carpenter

I worked at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with professionals that believed in cooperation. Egos were in checked and a real sense of fairness was promoted. Training was offered and everyone was allowed to explore their potential.

Cons

Benefits were not fully acquired until you worked there 30 days. I was not happy not having coverage when I started working at Guy Carpenter.

A shorter period for benefit coverage for new employees will make the transition easier.

Wheres all the Talent Gone?

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large, visible franchise that always looks good on a resume

Cons

A very tiny minority are served by a large dis-enfranchised employee base. Its all about moving quickly enough to avoid responsibility. No sense of support or creative thinking. Move quickly enough or re-organize and no one can be held accountable. Getting by on historical, innovative view of Guy Carp, not the reality that over the past 10 years its become a slow growth, bureaucracy who size has caused it fall over on itself. Just look at the number of Vice Chairman or Heads of this or that, its nuts. The Best young and middle level talent doesn't remain for more than 2-3 years.

Try to think longer than the next market cycle or bonus period. The platform is there because of those who preceded you and that seems to have been forgotten. Ace, Xl, BRMA, claims made policies were all products of some very thoughtful, creative problem solving at Carpenter. Find a way to get that back, the answer isn't reorganization or realignment or the next earnings call. Near term investment in the best and the brightest who challenge the status quo will pay huge dividends internally and externally. As a recent departure the number of inquires from existing Guy Carp employees about a position is staggering.

not awesome

I worked at Guy Carpenter

Pros

good corporate salary, some good people

Cons

nepitism, some very bad apples (dishonest, incompetent etc) at all levels and all departments.

More transparency about business strategy would be welcome. Once we hired someone away from their previous job, only to fire them 3 months later because of a reduction in workforce. It would have been far more respectful to have a hiring freeze prior to layoffs.

Was a good company in the past

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, pension. Coworkers were friendly and pleasant to work with. I constantly learned all the time and have enjoyed my time. I was able to work independently and had lots of opportunity

Cons

There have been management changes which has lead it to be a little more stiff. They have focused more on reports that do not measure half of what I do. Because of this they overlook people for promotion.

Stop destroying the IT support with the outsourcing to India. Management is clueless and saving money is their only goal, no matter what the outcome.

Senior Technical Assistant

Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

No room for advancement, unless you are a broker

Create pathways for advancement for all of your employees

Overall Decent

Current Employee - Senior Reinsurance Xol Technician in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Reinsurance Xol Technician in Edina, MN

I have been working at Guy Carpenter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I truly get paid well for what I do and the benefits are great. I constantly learn all the time and have enjoyed my time. I am able to work independently and have had lots of opportunity

Guy Carpenter Photos