Gymboree

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Mark Breitbard

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Second Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Buford, GA

ProsGreat staff and even better customers. Enjoy the product and company standards

ConsCan't mind cleaning up after kids. Lots of straightening and moving fast when moms need to get in and get out with kiddos.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to staff the store for the holidays. I don't mind the extra hours but not everyone can pick up the extra hours. Love the employee appreciation days and rewards.

Limited room for growth

Sales Lead (Former Employee)
    Lawrenceville, GA

ProsHappy atmosphere. Easy hiring recognition. Excellence acknowledgement for employees.

ConsLow pay. Unstable schedules. Slow promotional opportunites.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire suitable people for management positions.

Worst Company Ever

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThere is no reason to ever work for this company.

ConsThey don't stand by their employee, they don't care about them, all they care about is money and the DMs are allowed to run around and do the least bit of work and upper management does the least to support your concerns. This company doesn't care about ANYONE!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou would have better numbers if you actually invested in your people maybe your bottom line would look better! These people work for interact with your customers on a daily bases they deserve better!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Woking for Satan on on Earth!!!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsKids clothes are cute ...discount is 40% off.

ConsLow wages, more work than you can complete in an 8 hr day, no respect from DM or RM, and newline every 2 weeks and your expected to complete it in 3 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour customers deal with the people in the store so therefore we know whats going on. Treat your people better and maybe your sales woll be better. Give your Dms HR training!!

Don't work here!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Pros- Discount
    - Some great, regular customers
    - Nothing else

ConsIn a nutshell, you are expected to provide top-notch service to your customers, keep an immaculate store, recruit and retain superior staff, give on going training and coaching to your staff, and be warm and engaging to both staff and the public.

In reality there are too few payroll hours given by corporate and management is often alone in the store for hours at a time. You can be stuck behind the POS processing returns with a store full of customers that you are unable to help. It can be dangerous, too. Shoplifters are aware that stores are often run on single coverage and teams will come in during these times to steal. Because of payroll restrictions, sales staffing is usually limited to mid-day and closing shifts (2-3 hours). There is no time for training during these times because management has to take a break, focus on customers, and recover the store.

The pay scale is terrible under the best circumstances. Given the amount and level of work expected, the pay is just sad. Raises are given once per year and average 1% of your hourly rate. Gymboree thanks loyal hardworking associates with an average pay increase of 9¢ per hour! I found myself apologizing to great staff for the insulting "raises" because our hands were tied to get them more money. Good people leave and find employers that are willing to compensate them for their loyalty and hard work.

Many Gymboree employees are moms. So, it is beyond me as to why corporate would think that it would be a good idea to schedule a new line on Halloween or Mother's Day. It's totally inconsiderate on their part. Corporate is closed weekends so while they were with their families, my staff was hard at work in the store NOT with their families.

Gymboree's motto is "Everything we do is for the customer". Unfortunately, nothing is left for the employees. Concerns directed to corporate are ignored and district managers are concerned with numbers and covering their own a**es; they're not going to put themselves on the line for store employees because their salaries and jobs are on the line. They can talk a good game, but really they're talking out both sides of their mouths.

Bottom line: Gymboree does not appreciate it's employees at the store level. Work here and you'll
     be overworked, underpaid, and quickly burnt out. I worked for the Gymboree Corporation for five years starting as a part-time associate and leaving as an Assistant Manager. The culture during my tenure worsened; I left the company for greener pastures.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure and show some respect and appreciation for the store employees. Without us running the stores and selling to customers, there would be no profit. Look to the companies with high employee satisfaction, low turnover, and positive customer feedback for inspiration.

Overworked and Underpaid

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Pros-Store Managers often work day shifts
    -loyal customers

Cons-- 17.5 hours per day on average to run your store. (9.5- if your working)
    -- little to no interaction with your management team because of limited payroll
    -- I would have weeks where I was planned to do 8k and get 117 hours of payroll and then the next during gymbucks would have a 25k week and get 125 hours. It forces the store manager to often times need to work 6 to 7 days and around 50 to 60 hours per week. (example the first day of gymbucks the store would bring in $8000 in sales and you would get 18.5 hours of payroll. That leaves singe coverage for 3 hours... so therefore you would have to work "off the clock" to ensure no one was there alone... at best you had two people on the register and no one helping customers).
    --No time for training and development of your people because you are alone for 6 hours of the day.
    -- even though you are alone 5 to 6 hours per day you are still expected to deliver legendary service. they have customer feedback programs as well as secret shoppers. You are set up to fail in this aspect.
    -- Everything falls back on the store manager and it is hard to hold your people accountable when often times they never see you.
    -- gymboree used to be family oriented and now they are all about the business (newlines on mothers day, fathers day, and halloween)
    -- Stores were built for a high dollar price point with low units and they changed the strategy to low prices more units.... the stores wernt designed to hold this amount of clothing so often times your store will look overcrowded and disorganized. often times you will have just as much product in your backroom as you do on the floor and your back room will be even smaller.
    -- no training hours for associates. therefor, there is a lack of training and you lose good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMORE PAYROLL. training hours. stop adding programs and forms without increasing payroll. I can tell you every store manager in the district secretly wanted to leave this company.

great part-time job

Sales Team Member (Former Employee)
    Marietta, GA

ProsI enjoyed the people and I think there was a realistic sales emphasis. It's fun to pick out outfits for little kids!

ConsIt's close to minimum wage with little increases. Sometimes it's long hours on your feet. I'd also like to be able to wear jeans.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say to send more positive vibes down from management to associates. Also better pay would make lots of people happy!

Gymboree is a good company to work for.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGymboree offers a great benefits package including associate dicount. The customers are wonderful and there is entertainment in the store for the kids. Compensation is above average for retail and yhe company promotes a strong team mentality.

ConsThere are several floor sets and because the brand is loved, you do have major issues with shoplifters. Other than that, you find plenty of people who have chosen to work there for years either as staff or management. If you have kids, you might as well sign your check back over to them, because the clothes are so cute and there is constantly new merchandise coming in.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore tasking hours given when store is closed would be appreciated.

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gymboree reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gymboree CEO Mark Breitbard. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Gymboree employees.