Gymboree Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
2.6

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • If you don't know any better (what work-life balance really looks like or what good pay is for the job) you might like it (in 7 reviews)

• You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Gymboree

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, IL

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reputable company with quality items and products. Enjoyed working with customers - lots of regulars to build a relationship with and know their wants and needs. Pay was above average for a retail job but I had higher end retail experience. Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time. Liked most of the other employees but not all. Sort of par for the course in retail.

Cons

As I continued to work for this company they offered less and less hours to me as an established sales associate and kept hiring in other employees, when I was available for them to utilize me for more hours! They did want me to be available to switch over to sister company Crazy 8 and two other Gymboree locations as needed basis, which I tried to accommodate - near the date I finally quite - they had me down to about 8-10 hours a week when they were well aware I needed to and was available to work 20-25 hours a week (including weekends).

If you have a devoted long time employee that generates sales and knows the company vision and procedures, don't just give them a small raise in pay... offer them more work hours if they ask for them and don't hire in an overage of extra employees just to cover small windows of time. I understand some employees call in sick or aren't cooperative or can't accommodate hours... but I felt like the upper management didn't know what they were doing. I would have stayed on if they had given me more hours and even more responsibility - like Assistant Manager.

Fun Company to Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lombard, IL

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gymboree has excellent training programs that help you continually grow.

Cons

Sometime they are too much by the book, this includes scheduling hours and sales.

Great Store Employees and customers

Former Employee - Store Manager in Great Lakes, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Great Lakes, IL

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people in the store level are passionate about the brand and the customer. Store managers had a great support system and District Manager was very helpful.

Cons

Company has many "tools" to promote internal development but it's just paperwork that is never followed up with on any level. Store Managers never promoted in my Region - always hired external candidates.

Regional Directors job is to catch you doing something wrong not to support you. Visits have no focus on the customer or employee development just store visuals.

I liked working at gymboree as a sales person, but working as a form of any type of manager is bad

Former Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

you can choose your schedule

Cons

No bonus, no PTO, nothing is good about this company

Good luck, they want you to live at gymboree

Good place to work if you enjoy being pushed around

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great customers, cute clothes, discount is good

Cons

disorganized, little pay, too many hours, edit hours without telling you, very strict about time off, management is a mess.

TAKE IT... if it's your only option! Don't say you haven't been warned!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job, you get a lousy paycheck, umm, did I mention it's a job?? Sadly, That's about it!

Cons

Uncaring atmosphere, I had a close relative pass away, this company did not even acknowladge it. On my birthday, this company couldn't even send a card, let alone honor my request of a days off of work to be with my family!
    The district manager is a, well, a vulgar word. I had an emergency question that needed to be answered by her and only by her on a paticular day, when I called her she informed me that she couldn't be bothered with it because she had the day "off". Nice use of a company cell phone!
    The pay is a joke, the shifts are a bigger joke. Driving 20 minutes in traffic to work a 2.5 hour shift at $9.00 an hour. Hah. I can't believe I lasted aslong as I did. Nobody at my location ever stayed more then a month. Never again, i'd rather live at a homeless shelter and beg for money on the streets! I'd get more money and respect that way, sadly!
    NO benefits, NO full time ( unless store manager) It's HARD to get days off, The raises are a joke!

Go back to school!

Expect less than 10 hours a week

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount on clothes, interacting with other moms, that is about it.

Cons

You will work maybe 1 or 2 shifts a week at 3 hours each - barely worth the gas to drive in.

Terrible place to work, Terrible upper management

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Gymboree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The 40% discount on new line is alright, but then again when you're getting paid min wage, it's not really in the budget. Other then that, there were some nice co workers, too bad most of them left within the first few weeks/months. This is the kind of job that you take while you're currently looking for a better job with a more reputable company.

Cons

The complete disrespect from upper management. My store manager was a kind and nice to work for. However the District Manager is a royal pain. She is extremely unprofessional and is not liked by many. You simply cannot pay someone min wage and expect them to care about a job where they get a lousy 6 hour work week. Stop hiring so many new people that are just going to quit, and concentrate on providing more benefits/reasons for employees to work & stay dedicated to you.

Your 29% approval rating says enough. Time to find another job perhaps?

The worst 6 years I could have spent

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

Only one thing comes to mind, and that is the time I spent getting to know my customers

Cons

oh where to begin. The hours, the pay, the upper management who thinks they have all the answers, and the time I spent alone needing to use the bathroom!

Get a clue, you all need to work one full month in your stores, new line, markdowns, conference calls, and the best, using your FTO so you don't go over in payroll

Miserable

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

co workers are nice, customers are nice as well

Cons

The district manager is useless, the in store manager is incapable of scheduling. No hours, pay is horrible and don't think of complaining because it will only get your name taken off the schedule for weeks.

Management needs to listen to their employees feedback and be more approachable, this is ridiculous.