Gymboree

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.5

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Just ok.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and great opportunities to move up in the field.

Cons

Not challenging or exciting enough for me.

It was "okay"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, cute and reliable children's clothing, great employees

Cons

Short hours (usually only 2 hours a shift which is a waste of gas), New Line was horrible, Rude customers, no benefits

Great people to work with. Good customer service. Quailty of fashion is great!

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customer relations clientaling is enjoyable. Generally good values. People are nice to work with.

Cons

Payroll is completley unrealistic all managers have said they feel pressure to work for free in all distrcts. Hiring practices need improvement. Meaning district managers some have had great experience. But some are hired that have gaps in employment for some time or promoted no experience, just as any management. With proper background checks would
    make for better company. If only Rplm would know that dm in los angeles San Fernanado
    is always in stores early not following bagchecks and hunting for printer carteridges has questionable character from his past. When hears hes at stores or he freaks out. Dm is nice but he does say things out of character for a professional work enviroment, and acts out of character. When corporate is in his presence he completly is acting in character. He is afraid any mention of H.r for good reasons. When asked all store managers say they would not trust this Dm to watch theyre children based on his comments behavor in workplace I am glad I dont work for this Dm anymore. .

Do the background checks please. Make sure that when reviewing questionable behavoirs. Make sure to look for ethical characteristics. Hire someone that is a fit for childrens enviroment.

EMPLOYED AS CO-MANAGER AT A RETAIL STORE IN A OUTLET MALL

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast past environment. Adorable clothing.

Cons

Just about everything. Not enough staff. Not enough hours to get stock out or to handle customers effectively. Having to work on own time to get certain job aspects down. Having to skip lunches and breaks due to lack of coverage. Having to train new hires and new managers on the floor during highly busy times including training a new assistant manager on the register during Christmas rush and then showing that manager how to close which resulted in working overtime which I was not paid for because there was not enough hours.

Sometimes you have to give to get quality associates and managers or they will go other places.

A Stressful Experience, Enough for One Lifetime

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts are ok, nice to have the ability to use discounts at all brands (Gymboree, Crazy 8, Janie and Jack, Shade)

Cons

Company doesn't give many hours to spend on team member, nor to actually get things done in the store. Most work that NEEDS to be done will be done off the clock, sadly. Part time employees (incl. all PT management) can no longer work 30+ hours because company doesn't want to provide Obamacare; would rather cut hours

Giving stores more than 120 hours/week will ensure getting things done in a timely manner, where people will rightfully get paid.

Everything You Need To Know About Gymboree: Former Sales Lead Tells All

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunity:
    Opportunity to grow within the company, move up to higher positions then be able to list those positions on your resume for future jobs. No one stays around long, if you hang in there they promote you out of desperation, even if you aren't qualified or talented. This is the only reason I gave it an extra star.

Job Security:
    Another plus is you can't get fired unless they discover you're stealing in some way. You can be completely horrible at your job and stay employed. They will cut your hours but they wont legally fire you because they want to avoid any possible legal issues.

Training:
    You will learn a lot in this company that you can take elsewhere. Not from training (since there are no hours to actually train anyone) but from doing. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

Cons

Restrictions:
    You work by yourself all day, which means you're not allowed to leave the sales floor to use the restroom. The company doesn't tell you that you're not allowed to use the restroom for legal reasons, but they tell you that you can't leave the sales floor. Well, if you're working alone (which is what a usual day shift as a Sales Lead is like) then you can't use the restroom because you can't leave the sales floor. That means saving your bathroom needs anywhere from 3-8 hours. How they legally get away with this, I have no idea.

Hours & Pay:
    Hours aren't horrible for a part time job (18-30hrs a week), but if you're looking for a full time job because you want to support yourself/family, this isn't the place for you. The store manager doesn't even get 40hrs a week. The pay for any management position is 30%-40% lower than what they pay anywhere else for the same position. A Sales Lead makes anywhere from $8 - $11, Assistant manager makes anywhere from $9 - $13, and the store manager makes around 35k-45k a year.

Loss Prevention, Sales & Customer Service:
    The company prides itself off of "legendary customer service" but it is impossible to give great service. First off, you're not only a sales person, you're store security. While working alone, with a room full of several customers, there is no way you can ring up everyone, walk away from the register to help everyone else with their questions, and follow around shoplifters to prevent them from snatching products out of your store. Physically it is impossible, and laughable to expect anyone to be able to do all these things at the same time. Plus, while doing these things, you're usually expected to do "replen," which is what they call putting new items from the stockroom out onto the floor. On top of all those things you should magically be able to do all at once, you have to constantly worry about secret shoppers, who the company sends to stores. They pretend to be shoppers and rate you on how well you do all those things without you knowing it. If you get a horrible score they will treat you horribly for it.

New inventory:
    Every other week, or twice a month, the stores usually receive a "new line," which is the newest collection of clothing by the company (it's usually recycled styles from previous years but customers are too stupid to notice). Usually, 30-200 boxes are received for every store. They give you almost no hours other than your usual hours to process this. This creates stress beyond anything I have ever seen at a retail position. This will be a nightmare.

I was successful at my job, but it nearly killed me. I left because the pay for the amount of work wasn't worth it.

I know most of you have no control over any of the flaws of this company. It all comes down from corporate who sit in their offices and think they know it all without working a day in the store. Plus, most of you are here because there is nowhere else that will take you. Good luck with your life.

Working for Gymboree was very disappointing.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonus every time you comp and made LY

Cons

No support from district managers, very little payroll, Regional manager is evil, human resources don’t do their job, Shipment is outrages, Newlines come in every other weekend.

Everyone from store managers to sales associates are the ones making you rich, not your DMS and RM so listen to the “little people”.

Terrible Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

~I have a job
    ~Some of the children are great
    ~I have a job? (I've got nothing else)

Cons

I've been with the company for two years, and it has been the WORST 2 years ever, and I've worked some terrible jobs. I worked a full six months without being trained properly and made many mistakes that not only could have cost me my job but also made me look incompetent (which I was) to customers.

~Always closing
    ~Not being able to go the bathroom for hours as I wait for my second person to come in...hours later.
    ~Sales leads (like myself) get paid the salary of an experienced sales associate, and don't even try to work overtime.
    ~A DM who doesn't care that the manager yells and belittles the associates.
    ~SECRET SHOPPERS (CSE) having to always be on guard because your next customer might be your secret shopper. The list of points you have to hit to get a 100% is ridiculous.
    ~Newline, after newline, after newline! The floor sets are usually big, and they are often, sometimes coming one after the other.
    ~The workload! It is impossible to get everything on the long list that is given to us done in one day, deal with customers, answer phones, call in 2:45 reads, scan Gymbucks, explain Gymbucks, explain why everything on the rounders aren't 50% off but actually UP TO 50% off, and scan every single item for the customers because they don't believe that the price on the ticket is the actual price. It is impossible and stressful, and it's not worth it.

Come out of the office and into the store. I'm not talking about walking in and checking out our customer service skills, but get behind the registers, and help customers by yourself without going to the bathroom for hours. You can't possibly hand down rules and lists of things to do without first doing it yourself. It's so easy to say what should be done, but try doing it yourself first.

Work on the pay, it's terrible. Allocate enough hours so that the LOD isn't alone any longer than 30mins. If I'm dealing with a very difficult situation I' like to be able to walk away and get myself together, but I can't do that when I'm alone for three and four hours.