Gymboree Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• 40% regular price & 20% off markdowns for the employee discount (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The new line hours are for slaves who are wishing to work for a greedy corporation (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management cannot decide on a strategy before design team designs (in 29 reviews)

1. Just ok.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and great opportunities to move up in the field.

Cons

Not challenging or exciting enough for me.

Lowest paid sales associates and managers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Access to the clothing that the regular customers can't get.

Cons

The employee discount was always worse than the sales and coupons of the regular customers could use.

Advice to Management

Pay a normal retail salary. see what everyone else is paying and you'll get some better people to stay

A Stressful Experience, Enough for One Lifetime

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are ok, nice to have the ability to use discounts at all brands (Gymboree, Crazy 8, Janie and Jack, Shade)

Cons

Company doesn't give many hours to spend on team member, nor to actually get things done in the store. Most work that NEEDS to be done will be done off the clock, sadly. Part time employees (incl. all PT management) can no longer work 30+ hours because company doesn't want to provide Obamacare; would rather cut hours

Advice to Management

Giving stores more than 120 hours/week will ensure getting things done in a timely manner, where people will rightfully get paid.

5. EMPLOYED AS CO-MANAGER AT A RETAIL STORE IN A OUTLET MALL

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast past environment. Adorable clothing.

Cons

Just about everything. Not enough staff. Not enough hours to get stock out or to handle customers effectively. Having to work on own time to get certain job aspects down. Having to skip lunches and breaks due to lack of coverage. Having to train new hires and new managers on the floor during highly busy times including training a new assistant manager on the register during Christmas rush and then showing that manager how to close which resulted in working overtime which I was not paid for because there was not enough hours.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you have to give to get quality associates and managers or they will go other places.

6. Great people to work with. Good customer service. Quailty of fashion is great!

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer relations clientaling is enjoyable. Generally good values. People are nice to work with.

Cons

Payroll is completley unrealistic all managers have said they feel pressure to work for free in all distrcts. Hiring practices need improvement. Meaning district managers some have had great experience. But some are hired that have gaps in employment for some time or promoted no experience, just as any management. With proper background checks would make for better company. If only Rplm would know that dm in los angeles San Fernanado is always in stores early not following bagchecks and hunting for printer carteridges has questionable character from his past. When hears hes at stores or he freaks out. Dm is nice but he does say things out of character for a professional work enviroment, and acts out of character. When corporate is in his presence he completly is acting in character. He is afraid any mention of H.r for good reasons. When asked all store managers say they would not trust this Dm to watch theyre children based on his comments behavor in workplace I am glad I dont work for this Dm anymore. .

Advice to Management

Do the background checks please. Make sure that when reviewing questionable behavoirs. Make sure to look for ethical characteristics. Hire someone that is a fit for childrens enviroment.

7. It was "okay"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount, cute and reliable children's clothing, great employees

Cons

Short hours (usually only 2 hours a shift which is a waste of gas), New Line was horrible, Rude customers, no benefits

8. Company out of touch with store expectations

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount was good. Liked my peers and immediate boss. Playing will the children and baby's was enjoyable. Able to change brands with little change.

Cons

There is no way to give the customer experience that the customers expect on the payroll that is given. The regular customers expect a personal shopping experience, but you are alone as a manager a lot of the time. It can 10 to 1 customers to employees, with more then one customer wanting all your time and no hours where given (really) to do the shipment or markdowns for the day. There is also little to no training for management. After basic knowledge is given, there are no tools to develop yourself or your team. This leave large gaps in talent levels of it's Store Managers.

Advice to Management

Get to know what they are really asking there people to do, with the limitations they are given.

9. good employer inconsistent upper management

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Downey, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Downey, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Good benefits good employee discount Wonderful customers good opportunity for advancement within store level

Cons

No advancement opportunities for store level to upper management no understanding by upper management of lives away from gymboree ... no consistency throughout districts and or stores

Advice to Management

Treat each store and management with the same respect and leave the preferential treatment out of the work environment

Terrible Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

~I have a job ~Some of the children are great ~I have a job? (I've got nothing else)

Cons

I've been with the company for two years, and it has been the WORST 2 years ever, and I've worked some terrible jobs. I worked a full six months without being trained properly and made many mistakes that not only could have cost me my job but also made me look incompetent (which I was) to customers. ~Always closing ~Not being able to go the bathroom for hours as I wait for my second person to come in...hours later. ~Sales leads (like myself) get paid the salary of an experienced sales associate, and don't even try to work overtime. ~A DM who doesn't care that the manager yells and belittles the associates. ~SECRET SHOPPERS (CSE) having to always be on guard because your next customer might be your secret shopper. The list of points you have to hit to get a 100% is ridiculous. ~Newline, after newline, after newline! The floor sets are usually big, and they are often, sometimes coming one after the other. ~The workload! It is impossible to get everything on the long list that is given to us done in one day, deal with customers, answer phones, call in 2:45 reads, scan Gymbucks, explain Gymbucks, explain why everything on the rounders aren't 50% off but actually UP TO 50% off, and scan every single item for the customers because they don't believe that the price on the ticket is the actual price. It is impossible and stressful, and it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Come out of the office and into the store. I'm not talking about walking in and checking out our customer service skills, but get behind the registers, and help customers by yourself without going to the bathroom for hours. You can't possibly hand down rules and lists of things to do without first doing it yourself. It's so easy to say what should be done, but try doing it yourself first. Work on the pay, it's terrible. Allocate enough hours so that the LOD isn't alone any longer than 30mins. If I'm dealing with a very difficult situation I' like to be able to walk away and get myself together, but I can't do that when I'm alone for three and four hours.

Working for Gymboree was very disappointing.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus every time you comp and made LY

Cons

No support from district managers, very little payroll, Regional manager is evil, human resources don’t do their job, Shipment is outrages, Newlines come in every other weekend.

Advice to Management

Everyone from store managers to sales associates are the ones making you rich, not your DMS and RM so listen to the “little people”.

RSS Feed </> Embed