Gymboree Play and Music

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Follow-through, Open-minded, Caring, and Rewarding

Site Manager (Current Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsGrowth, fun-filled, challenging, active. I leave work feeling like I have truly made someone's day. I do honest business, and the corporation backing me is sound, honest, and really the best in the business. Gymboree is quality and care.

ConsThis is no easy job. I have a minimum sales quota, at least one person less than what I need on my team, I am filling a lot of roles... and I am also teaching. As I said, it's so, so rewarding, but I am tired.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow site managers access to training opportunities. They are your future franchise operators. Give your teachers benefits. They earn it!! They are the cream of the crop.

Also, I have seen a lot of terrible reviews online. Protect our name as a whole and spy on your franchises. We work hard at our jobs and pay our teachers to lesson plan and clean properly. UNDERCOVER BOSS IT!!

Fun and Rewarding, but Underappreciated

Site Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFun atmosphere, wonderful customers and children, time flies by, constantly busy, allowed to bring your own children for free

ConsUnderappreciated by management, corporate office will only contact you to scold or talk down to you, no benefits, very low pay for the amount of work and stress

Advice to Senior ManagementA little appreciation goes a long way. Management from the corporate office is always trying to tell franchise management to be "employee friendly" when they do not practice what they preach. It is unwise to talk down to and belittle the face of your company and the people who are truly carrying the business - meaning THE TEACHERS.

I enjoyed teaching young children.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosteaching young children, watching them learn through play and music

Consbeing underappreciated by management of the store

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very belittling

Play & Learn Teacher (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsThe job was actually pretty easy, The lesson plans were easy to remember and the parents and babies were great.

It also gave me a lot of time to stay home with my daughter, since they cut almost all of my hours towards the end of my employment.

ConsThe management. All of my problems were with management. They treat you like they're better than you and don't let you forget it. They knew how I sang and my energy level, so I don't know why now it's become a huge issue. I was told they always need to have one employee they complain about and talk to each other about and I never thought it would be me because they all seemed so nice at first.

I thought I would love working here, but I just can't take the immature antics of the management. They are constantly changing the staffs schedules. It makes supporting a family really hard when you start out with 30 hours a week, and end up only working 4-10 when you were promised 20-30.

I thought this was a great job where I would get to do what I loved, but now I know why their employee turn over rate is so high. They treat them poorly and don't hide their snarky remarks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new people in to be site managers. The managers have a chip on their shoulder and treat their employees poorly.

Great place to work but, for little pay!

Play & Learn Teacher (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsLove working with children. Clean environment. Great program planning from corporate offices. Other employees nice to work with.

ConsLittle pay for a lot of work. No benefits. No room for advancement. Owners are NEVER around!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe involved more in your business!

Exhausting & chaotic environment.

Gymboree Teacher (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsFun job & fun to work with kids.

ConsOwner not around to oversee the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on one business at a time & perfect it before branching out into unrelated businesses that keep you from running your Gymboree business.

DRAMA

Plano, TX

ProsFree classes and parties for your kids.

ConsThe Site Manager and General Manager hate each other and love to gossip about each other. The Site Manager will gossip about employees to other employees. You don't get paid to clean or set up for your classes. Paychecks are often less then what your hours reflect.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of gossiping about what you don't like about your employees, correct them when they do something wrong.

Thought it was a perfect fit...

Columbia, MD

ProsThe job is pretty simple. You have written lesson plans that change every 2 weeks. you usually have no more than 5 classes a day to teach, and they're only 45 minutes. The children and parents are a joy to work with.

ConsPoor salary. For the amount of work that you actually do, and the liability you have of sometimes being the only teacher on site is horrible for the pay. At my site, the managers are very catty and hard to deal with. They can take off for vacations and expect you to cover their shifts, but when you want time off they will give you a hard time, even if you've found coverage for your shifts.

The managers are enough to make this job not worth it. I thought I had tough skin, but once you have to deal with hearing them talk about you behind your back and treat you with no respect it takes a toll on you. They are very immature, and show it through their leadership. The new owner is a ton better than the old one, and is trying to make some huge improvements, but the first one should have been to get rid of the old managers.

You also have to clean the entire site, and if you are the closer, that means over 10 hours of classes to clean up after.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more diplomatic when it comes to policies and time off. Also, grow up.

Teacher

ProsGreat stepping stone towards an early education career. I never had to study for Developmental Psychology or Infant/Toddler Development. So if that is what you want to do, you get it here at Gymboree. Some of the staff at our site are permitted preschool teachers, like myself, have full credentials, experience with camps and kiddos, or just love the performing aspect of the job. Its lots of fun and once you taught the lesson plans once around, you're pretty much set. It beats sitting at a desk all day for sure.

ConsMay I just say first that this company is franchised and I have no idea what the hell is going on at other sites. A our site the only thing I am not liking is our pay rate. Yes, this is a part time job. Yes, this is not an accredited preschool (permits under recreational facility). BUT the work we do and with the programming at my site wanting to be that an amazing preschool, I am no where near getting paid enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementI get it. The customers in our area are really picky and, putting it blatantly, cheap, so we have a hard time enrolling families or keeping them around. But I would stay if this was available for a full time salaried potion, so for now I'm content with parties and being on the subbing list.

Not good

Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsIt was great to work with children, the parents are great, and it's an enjoyable experience to work with kids.

ConsNepotism is king here. If someone they like better/ have known longer wants a job, you're out. Other teachers repeatedly lied to parents, talked about missing work/coming in hungover, and had a bad attitude. Management ignores you if you have an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Notice who actually cares for/about the families and puts in extra effort. You're losing money with your backwards techniques

Worked for Gymboree Play and Music? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gymboree Play and Music reviews and ratings. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Gymboree Play and Music employees.