Gymboree Play and Music

CEO

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Louisville, KY

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The schedule was very consistent. The pay was competitive. The training was very good. The people working there were very nice. There are a lot of great things about this company and profession.

Cons

Ability to create lesson plans could be improved. I like being able to adapt lessons with the number of kids in the class or the time of year or to given situations but there was little room for that in the structured classes.

Allow creativity in teaching concepts. More things that multiple age groups could do together.

Windaful

Current Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in Somerville, NJ
    Current Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in Somerville, NJ

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love it! Awesome fashion for kids would def but for my son!!!

Cons

Don't have any kids so I can't buy the clothes but they are oh so very just quite adorable

Former employee

Former Employee - Teacher and Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Teacher and Sales Associate

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, and it was like a family. Interacting with babies and their parents was a lot of fun. A lot of independence in classes, so you can have fun with it.

Cons

Pay was not great for the amount of work you do. Very physically demanding (a LOT of cleaning), which isn't necessarily a con, but you were definitely tired after a shift. Training is rigorous-- you have to learn a lot of songs and prepare lesson plans, and it is nerve-wracking at first but becomes second nature.

Loved it!

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you love children this is a great place to work. You get to show the parents how to play and interact with their kiddos.

Cons

It takes time to get adjusted and theres a lot to learn.

Great Teachers, Terrible Management

Former Employee - Play & Learn Teacher, Art and Music Teacher, Preschool Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the teachers seem to really want what is best for the children.
    It is hard not to smile going in to work every day because working with children is so wonderful.

Cons

Terrible pay, no ( I mean 0) benefits: The system is set up so that there is no possible way for you to work more than 35 hours so they would need to pay benefits. If you do manage to work more, you are made to put in as being a fixed amount of money you are being paid.
    Outdated Lesson Plans and old equipment: Everything is built on a 70s and 80s style of teaching. Teachers who have been there a long time and stick too closely to the lesson plans treat the children terribly, i.e. like lesser beings and treat the parents like idiots. It's 2014, we shouldn't be treating children as if everything they say is worthless any more.
    Terrible Management: It's a franchised based business model. Each location is individually owned and only accountable to Corporate. All the franchise owners care about is pleasing corporate and getting good enrollment numbers. Employees are encouraged to trick people into signing up for classes.
    Cleaning: One poor fool who has the last shift has to clean the entire site at the end of the night. You are not allowed to stay clocked in for more than an hour of this cleaning, but to clean the site thoroughly would take at least 2.5 hours. Also, they expect one person to be able to do a "site set". This is when you take everything down in the site, clean it, and put it back up in a different way. I am 5'4" and I was expected to do this alone. That's moving things over 75lbs and ladders over 15' long. It takes about 5 hours and you get paid $50.

Treat your employees better and perhaps your enrollment would go up.

Its a wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Play & Learn Teacher and Art Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Play & Learn Teacher and Art Teacher in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a fun place to work, especially knowing that you are helping children and families. Seeing the little ones faces light up and smile when you sing is the best part. You can get extra money with the weekend birthday parties.

Cons

Its a lot of work if everyone is not on the same page. Cleaning and desk work can be easy but if everyone is not doing their part then its extra work for the person working the next day or for the next person a family deals with.

Follow-through, Open-minded, Caring, and Rewarding

Current Employee - Site Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Gymboree Play and Music full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Growth, fun-filled, challenging, active. I leave work feeling like I have truly made someone's day. I do honest business, and the corporation backing me is sound, honest, and really the best in the business. Gymboree is quality and care.

Cons

This is no easy job. I have a minimum sales quota, at least one person less than what I need on my team, I am filling a lot of roles... and I am also teaching. As I said, it's so, so rewarding, but I am tired.

Allow site managers access to training opportunities. They are your future franchise operators. Give your teachers benefits. They earn it!! They are the cream of the crop.

Also, I have seen a lot of terrible reviews online. Protect our name as a whole and spy on your franchises. We work hard at our jobs and pay our teachers to lesson plan and clean properly. UNDERCOVER BOSS IT!!

I enjoyed teaching young children.

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music

Pros

teaching young children, watching them learn through play and music

Cons

being underappreciated by management of the store

Fun and Rewarding, but Underappreciated

Former Employee - Site Manager
    Former Employee - Site Manager

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, wonderful customers and children, time flies by, constantly busy, allowed to bring your own children for free

Cons

Underappreciated by management, corporate office will only contact you to scold or talk down to you, no benefits, very low pay for the amount of work and stress

A little appreciation goes a long way. Management from the corporate office is always trying to tell franchise management to be "employee friendly" when they do not practice what they preach. It is unwise to talk down to and belittle the face of your company and the people who are truly carrying the business - meaning THE TEACHERS.

Very belittling

Former Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Play & Learn Teacher in Columbia, MD

I worked at Gymboree Play and Music part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The job was actually pretty easy, The lesson plans were easy to remember and the parents and babies were great.

It also gave me a lot of time to stay home with my daughter, since they cut almost all of my hours towards the end of my employment.

Cons

The management. All of my problems were with management. They treat you like they're better than you and don't let you forget it. They knew how I sang and my energy level, so I don't know why now it's become a huge issue. I was told they always need to have one employee they complain about and talk to each other about and I never thought it would be me because they all seemed so nice at first.

I thought I would love working here, but I just can't take the immature antics of the management. They are constantly changing the staffs schedules. It makes supporting a family really hard when you start out with 30 hours a week, and end up only working 4-10 when you were promised 20-30.

I thought this was a great job where I would get to do what I loved, but now I know why their employee turn over rate is so high. They treat them poorly and don't hide their snarky remarks.

Get new people in to be site managers. The managers have a chip on their shoulder and treat their employees poorly.