Gymboree
www.gymboree.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Gymboree Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Mark Breitbard

Pros:
  • "Great customers & lasting product"
    in 13 reviews
  • "If you don't know any better (what work-life balance really looks like or what good pay is for the job) you might like it"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "New line during the week is the dumbest idea , like we want to be at work after 930 on a week day"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Above average retailer

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gymboree full-time for less than a year

ProsThe family friendly atmosphere is what makes our customers let us be a part of their family. I've seen families at their best moments (birth of first child) to the absolute worst (stillborn baby) and have celebrated and grieved with all of them. If you TRULY love children and connecting with other people but also have the retail bug, then this company is for you. That doesn't mean it's play time all the time though. It takes a lot of hard work and often on your own due to payroll constraints. As for growth, things are always changing so you never know what opportunity will land in your lap.

ConsPayroll for sales floor coverage

Gymboree - part time

I have been working at Gymboree part-time

ProsIts a great company, they have age appropriate clothing for kids in good quality

ConsWorking less than the required part-time position. Short amount of hours during a shift but they expect you to do everything (straightening, sizing, take out trash) after closing in about 30 mins to be out the door.

Comfortable work environment with great people

Product Development (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPeople are very nice, scheduling is very flexible, management is very open to suggestions and having conversations, and pay is on the higher end

ConsLots of cross-functional coordination makes things difficult sometimes, in general things have to touch many sets of hands for any process, hours can sometimes be a little long and not well regulated

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck-in with employees to make sure they're not feeling overwhelmed

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gymboree

ProsDiscount
Flexible Work From Home Days
Snack Time - Thursdays
Strong Design Talent
Office Location / Offices are new and modern
On site Cafe

ConsManagement has changed, culture is not what it use to be.
Poor Systems / Reporting
Lean Teams - People have too much scope

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gymboree part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule. Great upper management

ConsVery little turnover, so it takes time to be promoted. Have to wait for the position to open up. Assistant Managers are Part Time unless the store makes over $1 million yearly.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Gymboree

Prosgreat clothes, great district mnager

ConsLittle hours to give to employees

No accountability at any level of management leads to a lot of buck passing...

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Gymboree full-time for more than a year

ProsGood quality product and brand recognition

ConsCompany likes to point to its standards but don't hold themselves accountable at the end of the day---I never received any formal training in 2 years working as an assistant manager and then store manager. I had to sort out the outdated, convoluted system and train myself in all operational aspects. The company was constantly changing the merchandising and allocations "standards" and either flooding us with product or turning off the faucet completely. I was docked on a store visit for an empty fixture on the sales floor but I had so little product in the store that my small stockroom couldn't fit anymore empty fixtures. On another visit, the regional manager was unhappy with a display and started chucking lunch boxes at me while my DM just watched and motioned for me not to respond to the behavior. I was told-or rather warned-that the manager was temperamental but so good at their job that it was best to just take the advice and not make a big deal out of it, that it wouldn't make a difference. They operate stores on a skeleton payroll and that's being generous. Managers are paid for a 40 hour work week, told the unwritten expectation is 45+, and usually end up working 50+ ( I once tracked an 83 hour week) just to keep the payroll under control without sacrificing the condition of the store. Honestly the most stressful and thankless job I've ever had in my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to create some accountability measures

Unappreciative

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Gymboree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsQuality of clothing, customer service will back you up when you try and explain to a dissatisfied customer who disagrees with store policy

ConsAlways one man coverage for the SM majority of day. Not enough payroll given to store to the amount of work to be done. SM typically goes over salary 40 hrs every week in order to get all task done each week to save payroll, going over payroll takes away from pay raise. Regional Managers are rude and talk down to most managers. My regional manager is sweet to my face and then complains how she is unhappy with my store. I would much rather a Regional Manager to be professional and explain to me in person what she dislikes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ready to work alone, work 50-60 hrs weekly but on salary. Goals are extremely high so monthly bonuses are extinct. Demographics are taken out of the equation when stores are compared against each other. Brands in the company are compared unevenly, comparing sales,upt,and at from lower brand to boutique brands.

Fun but challenging

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Lincoln City, OR

I have been working at Gymboree full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe people you service are amazing and the children, when u see them grow up right in front of you is so special

ConsCorporate wants you to run a successful business but refuses to give you enough hours to work with, to schedule right to get the jobs done.

Advice to Senior ManagementHOURS HOURS HOURS, and as much as we did I think the Assistant Manager deserves more because we do the exact same as the Manager.

Rewarding experience, work environment was friendly and would recommend to others

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New England, ND

I worked at Gymboree full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly place to work…Work was challenging but rewarding. Supervisors are supportive . Good work life balance
Brand pride ..quality of product and customer loyalty
Team environment ideas shared

ConsBenefits and compensation could be more competitive
manageable product allocation ..stock levels too high..stock rooms are challenging to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider scaling back on QTY of new lines..give a line a chance to sell before introducing another ..customers know they do not need to purchase when the line just arriving will be marked down in two weeks…no need to buy full price .

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gymboree reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gymboree CEO Mark Breitbard. All 267 reviews posted anonymously by Gymboree employees.