Gymboree
www.gymboree.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Gymboree Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Mark Breitbard

Pros:
  • "You meet lots of great customers to help and serve"
    in 15 reviews
  • "If you don't know any better (what work-life balance really looks like or what good pay is for the job) you might like it"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFun and Easy! Great people to work with. Gymboree makes beautiful clothing so easy to sell. Discounts on clothing.

ConsGymboree still has old technology: old computers, old school registers and POS program, old school ways of doing markdowns. Never given extra hours for markdowns, marketing changes. I am always having to cut hours or work off the clock just to get things done. So many tasks but never enough time to do everything. Over worked and under paid. Customers get better discounts than us employees get.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish that Management would realize how long it takes to do certain tasks and give us more hours to complete them without us working off the clock or cutting hours just to make payroll. I have associates quitting because pay is horrible and I can't give them the hours they would like.

Gymboree is a fun and friendly environment to work at.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    McAllen, TX

ProsYou get to creat a bond with the customer and that kind of relation is good when you want to show the customers how important they are.

ConsThe amount of hours I would get was low and I feel that some people where I worked where not that dedicated to the job.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Gets me by.

Sales Lead (Current Employee)
    Cypress, TX

ProsMy employer works around my school schedule, which is ideal for myself as well as most college students who work in retail.

ConsManagement does not talk very much with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better "open door policy".

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent pay, but to run successful store you need to work a lot of hours.

Madison, WI

ProsFlexibility, discount, chance to earn bonus

ConsToo much product being sent to stores, work by yourself a lot

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more payroll to the stores so they can invest in the right people.

Great place to work

Sales Lead, Key Holder (Former Employee)
    West Palm Beach, FL

Prosco-workers were like family, corporate listens to its employees, flexible schedule. great for part time work while being a student

Conslow pay, not a lot of hours unless in management

Just ok.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Sherman Oaks, CA

ProsFlexible scheduling and great opportunities to move up in the field.

ConsNot challenging or exciting enough for me.

Great Company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsFamily atmosphere, bonus opportunities, customer driven

Consvery few full time positions, low paying retail company

If you have children you wish to see on a normal basis, don't work here!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAre outweighed by the cons

ConsLow pay to store team, corporate leaders demeaning to store associates/managers and are disconnected from the reality of the stores. Unreasonable payroll constraints; store managers are expected to pick up slack of low payroll which means no work/life balance. No training hours given to stores; I received approximately 2.5 days for training and one was just onboarding paperwork. First day in a Gymboree location was in role in the store. Distribution and Logistics program is as outdated as their technology. Allocations are un-organized and little to no payroll is given to support heavy shipment and newlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople work for people; your field leaders need to be given the proper support to pass down to their store teams. Upward mobility is decent, but the pay to do so is demotivating. Remember that store managers/store teams are people too; we have families and we like to enjoy them as much as you enjoy yours.

Employee's need better support

ProsThe other employees are usually always fun to work with. They work usually well around other schedules going on.

ConsPay is awful even being with the company for years it is only a few cents raise here and their. The upper management doesn't back up the employees, There are changes made last minute and with not enough hours it is almost impossible to get everything done. Employees can never plan for things because the schedule is not given to employees for Sunday until Wednesday and Thursday which makes planning your everyday events and activities very hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees, and back them up. Most of the time when a customer complains it is just for a coupon. They know how to cheat the system and with management never supporting or backing up their employees it shows that Gymboree doesn't care about their employees. Gymboree says they are family oriented but working on holidays just for the profit is wrong, management gets to spend time with their family but the every day employees have to miss out on time with their family because the business is greedy. Also when there is employee appreciation week don't give the customers a coupon that is better than the employee discount during that specific week. It is a slap to all employees face when that happens.

Gymboree Store Manager

Buffalo, NY

ProsFlexible scheduling, commitment to customers, quality product, possible advancement for right person. Able to take care of personal business during work due to so much down time. If you are that kind of person than it is a great job .

ConsAdvancement depends on “mood” of DM and if you happen to be one of her favorites at the time. Promises of advancement are given but never followed through on. DM likes to dangle a carrot in front of our nose, believing this will keep us committed. I plan on leaving as soon as a position is available with another company that does have advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay scale for all associates; make sales plan achievable giving incentive to do a better job. Train associates how to professionally sell and not just warm bodies.

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gymboree reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gymboree CEO Mark Breitbard. All 292 reviews posted anonymously by Gymboree employees.