Gymboree

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.5

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

It is child's play!

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

culture, people, ease of accessibility to public transport, great discounts, health benefits, bi-annual sample sale, 401K, phenomenal CEO and the cafe.

Cons

sometimes working lean and mean allows one to grow in their skills-sets, expanded roles & responsibilities, but if we are lean and mean then pay is as well.

more mid management roles. more pay.

Great experience friendly coworkers

Former Employee - Cashier Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier Clerk in Columbus, OH

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products that you get first dibs on lots of customer intetaction

Cons

Retail... Sometimes nasty customers

Stay well staffed at Christmas time

fine

I worked at Gymboree part-time

Pros

Very pleasant atmosphere to work in

Cons

I do not have any complaints

Great Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great upper management

Cons

Very little turnover, so it takes time to be promoted. Have to wait for the position to open up. Assistant Managers are Part Time unless the store makes over $1 million yearly.

Fast-paced, but relaxed

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Jackson, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Jackson, TN

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility is a definite pro for this company - at least with my boss, he worked around whatever schedule I had going on. I've worked for both Gymboree and Crazy 8, both times I had great experiences. Pay is above minimum wage, not by much but it's definitely motivating.

Cons

If you are a sales associate, the hours aren't stupendous. Typically, there will only be 2 employees maximum on the floor, which is fine when they aren't at their busiest, but when product is expected to go out within less than 24 hours and there are only 3 people working...it causes some stress.

Make sure you keep responsible flexibility when employees are placed with the task of getting product out, while also dealing with customers and having maybe two employees working at once.

Wonderful Experience

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gymboree was a wonderful work experience for me. I did have a lot of experience going into the position so I knew what to expect from the job. I was going back to college for a second time and they were flexible with my schedule. I had a great store manager that worked with her employees, communicated well and wanted what was best for the store. The district manager was also very hard working and friendly. If you are an intelligent, hard worker yourself they are willing to promote but you may have to move. Also it was great that even though I was technically part time I got full time hours and they offer benefits to part time workers. Gymboree also supports St. Judes in fundraising and I find it very important for a company to give back.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Keep up the good work.

love the company

Current Employee - Store Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

they care about the people. its fun and you learn alot.

Cons

small staff and not much room to grow

Great place to work with amazing opportunities!!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have the 2 best DM's, they are extremely helpful and productive. They give great feedback. This company has so many opportunities if your a hard and dedicated worker! The District management is amazing, they do a great job and also give you constructive feedback to help you grow. I have never been happier at any other company! Would recommend it to anyone who strives for great customer service and a happy work environment!

Cons

Nothing that I can complain about.

Love the constant communication between all areas of management.

Gymboree is a company filled with opportunities.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my experience, Gymboree has a very open and accepting atmosphere. The managers strive to ensure that the sales staff is fully trained and able to interact with customers effectively. There are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The stores rely heavily on customer surveys, so if you do not work often, it could affect your performance. Many customers are focused on sales and promotions, so there are some downtimes when very few customers shop because of a lack of promotions.

It would be great if store associates could give feedback on how various items in the store are selling. At times, our store would receive an excess amount of one particular style that was not selling.

Fun and hard work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job is a lot of fun. There is always something new coming out so there is always something to do. You can have a lot of fun with the customers too. It's a great part time job.

Cons

The worst part is the hours. Managers are alone in the store for up to five hours at a time. You rarely have double coverage which makes it hard to get all the tasks done. Upper management expects you to do a lot of tasking while providing personalized customer service and being alone in the store. New lines of clothing come out frequently and you do feel like you're playing catch up a lot. The backrooms are often small and you have to be super organized or they become a mess very quickly. The associates don't get a lot of hours, so there's quite a bit of turnover.

Give us more hours. Spend the payroll needed to get done all the tasks that have to get done and provide the level of service expected. With more payroll the customers will get better service and there would be less product loss due to external theft.