Gymboree
www.gymboree.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Gymboree Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Mark Breitbard

Pros:
  • "You meet lots of great customers to help and serve"
    in 15 reviews
  • "If you don't know any better (what work-life balance really looks like or what good pay is for the job) you might like it"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

fine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery pleasant atmosphere to work in

ConsI do not have any complaints

Great Company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule. Great upper management

ConsVery little turnover, so it takes time to be promoted. Have to wait for the position to open up. Assistant Managers are Part Time unless the store makes over $1 million yearly.

Fast-paced, but relaxed

Sales Lead (Former Employee)
    Jackson, TN

ProsFlexibility is a definite pro for this company - at least with my boss, he worked around whatever schedule I had going on. I've worked for both Gymboree and Crazy 8, both times I had great experiences. Pay is above minimum wage, not by much but it's definitely motivating.

ConsIf you are a sales associate, the hours aren't stupendous. Typically, there will only be 2 employees maximum on the floor, which is fine when they aren't at their busiest, but when product is expected to go out within less than 24 hours and there are only 3 people working...it causes some stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you keep responsible flexibility when employees are placed with the task of getting product out, while also dealing with customers and having maybe two employees working at once.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Bowling Green, KY

ProsGymboree was a wonderful work experience for me. I did have a lot of experience going into the position so I knew what to expect from the job. I was going back to college for a second time and they were flexible with my schedule. I had a great store manager that worked with her employees, communicated well and wanted what was best for the store. The district manager was also very hard working and friendly. If you are an intelligent, hard worker yourself they are willing to promote but you may have to move. Also it was great that even though I was technically part time I got full time hours and they offer benefits to part time workers. Gymboree also supports St. Judes in fundraising and I find it very important for a company to give back.

ConsNo cons that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

love the company

New Brunswick, NJ

Prosthey care about the people. its fun and you learn alot.

Conssmall staff and not much room to grow

Great place to work with amazing opportunities!!

Franklin, TN

ProsI have the 2 best DM's, they are extremely helpful and productive. They give great feedback. This company has so many opportunities if your a hard and dedicated worker! The District management is amazing, they do a great job and also give you constructive feedback to help you grow. I have never been happier at any other company! Would recommend it to anyone who strives for great customer service and a happy work environment!

ConsNothing that I can complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the constant communication between all areas of management.

Gymboree is a company filled with opportunities.

Sales Lead (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsIn my experience, Gymboree has a very open and accepting atmosphere. The managers strive to ensure that the sales staff is fully trained and able to interact with customers effectively. There are many opportunities for advancement.

ConsThe stores rely heavily on customer surveys, so if you do not work often, it could affect your performance. Many customers are focused on sales and promotions, so there are some downtimes when very few customers shop because of a lack of promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if store associates could give feedback on how various items in the store are selling. At times, our store would receive an excess amount of one particular style that was not selling.

Fun and hard work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsThe job is a lot of fun. There is always something new coming out so there is always something to do. You can have a lot of fun with the customers too. It's a great part time job.

ConsThe worst part is the hours. Managers are alone in the store for up to five hours at a time. You rarely have double coverage which makes it hard to get all the tasks done. Upper management expects you to do a lot of tasking while providing personalized customer service and being alone in the store. New lines of clothing come out frequently and you do feel like you're playing catch up a lot. The backrooms are often small and you have to be super organized or they become a mess very quickly. The associates don't get a lot of hours, so there's quite a bit of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us more hours. Spend the payroll needed to get done all the tasks that have to get done and provide the level of service expected. With more payroll the customers will get better service and there would be less product loss due to external theft.

I love being at Gymboree. Very family focused

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey share the same values that i live and breath everyday. Everybody from the ground up is passionate, energetic, and loyal. The company is growing when others are not.

ConsThe work load is very heavy but the company does give you the tools to manage it. You have to be a planner and have great organizational skills to succeed in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice would be to invest the payroll it takes to really train effectively. The onboarding process has a great roadmap layed, but is lacking the payroll support to really build top talent in our new hires.

Fantastic company to work for

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone is treated equal with en emphasis on respect for all capacities in order to get product to market on on time, in budget; in order to deliver high quality goods.
    Free coffee, tea, soda's etc.
    Snack/Treat carts roll around the office to keep you going
    Generous pay
    Ethical company who cares about the wellness of their employees
    Solid team work makes for efficiency at all levels of development

ConsLong hours are required in management roles; may be an issue for one who is raising a family
    If you do not have a strong sense of urgency, this is not the place for you

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make Gymboree a fun and enjoyable place to work!

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gymboree reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gymboree CEO Mark Breitbard. All 292 reviews posted anonymously by Gymboree employees.