Gymboree

Updated January 31, 2015
Updated January 31, 2015
2.6

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Not good or typically bad

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Work Culture , Flexible FTO policy. Small teams. Good Brand and community outreach.

Cons

Declining from the place it used to be. Attrition some what high.

Satisfied Seasonal Employee

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is great, hours are flexible, easy to trade shifts with coworkers and pick up extra hours during busy times. I'm a college student who works here during school breaks, and they're great about putting me back on the schedule whenever I'm available. Seems like there's room to move up

Cons

Not a lot of hours available during non-Christmas time, customers are generally very rude and demanding, problems with shoplifting scams

Get security sensors!

I felt over-worked and under-appreciated considering how much time and effort I gave to Gymboree Corp.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There was a decent amount of freedom for managers, and as an associate, room to grow.

Cons

Poor communication from corporate and District Manager. No payroll, relied on salaried manager.

More support from upper management would make your store managers feel like there was a reason for their hard work. Operating on bare minimum payroll effects sales, shrink, and morale negatively.

Great company

Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder in Casalnuovo di Napoli (Italy)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder in Casalnuovo di Napoli (Italy)

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Benefits great-Heath/dental
    Employee discount comparable
    Dm relationship strong with field
    Product great quality

Cons

Hours are way to low. Managers by themselves a lot. Have to wait to eat lunch and use restroom. Pay not competitive. No room for growth

Add more payroll to keep managers

Customer Service Department Hell

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dixon, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dixon, CA

I worked at Gymboree as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The environment was overall ok. Coworkers were nice. Lots of snacks during the holiday season

Cons

The hours can be insane. Some times I had 12 hour shift. Some times I worked 9 days in a row. Gymboree also hires through temp companies and will fire you for no reason. The computers they use are ancient! Supervisors often dont know whats going on. They don't train on all programs. They dont train how to deal with store calls. They don't train on how to deal with international orders. There is always so much confusion going on or technical issues. Also starting time of 6am is awful.

Hire people not as temps. It gives people some self worth. Let them know a bit before you let them go. So they can find jobs.
    Update your equipment.
    Listen to your customers complaints because those go no where.

Great benefits, poor atmosphere.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has awesome benefits.

Cons

Lots of hours. Too much pressure for the pay. No overtime.

Corporate puts too much pressure on individual stores to be successful. Corporate is very out of touch with what goes on in their stores. Sales rarely match product level and do not reflect what customers want.

Great customers, sucky manager!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

It's fun! The customers are pretty decent. I enjoyed working in an environment working where kids are involved. Everyone loves Gymboree so the store was pretty packed! If you can't work a fast paced environment it's not for you! Overall Gymboree was a pretty fun place to work! The discount sucked it was only %15 of for such a pricey store. Never got a chance to shop their much.

Cons

The managers were prunes. One wasn't employee appreciative while the other one lacked a care. They weren't the best, not sure while they were in that position. :-\
    The amount of pay you receive is way less for the work you do!

The attitudes toward your employees should be much better!

Loved team - loved job - low pay.

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

Flexible schedule, enjoyable atmosphere, great discounts.

Cons

Pay is low, even in management positions.

Company out of touch with store expectations

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount was good. Liked my peers and immediate boss. Playing will the children and baby's was enjoyable. Able to change brands with little change.

Cons

There is no way to give the customer experience that the customers expect on the payroll that is given. The regular customers expect a personal shopping experience, but you are alone as a manager a lot of the time. It can 10 to 1 customers to employees, with more then one customer wanting all your time and no hours where given (really) to do the shipment or markdowns for the day. There is also little to no training for management. After basic knowledge is given, there are no tools to develop yourself or your team. This leave large gaps in talent levels of it's Store Managers.

Get to know what they are really asking there people to do, with the limitations they are given.

Fun and exciting but heavy work loads.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

the members of the management are good with and fore. The discount is good. Fun working with the customers. Great vacation times.

Cons

The time allowed to do the work load is not reality. I would like to see upper management meet the deadlines and the payroll that they give us to get things accomplished. One person coverage is not realistic to get things accomplished and to stop people from stealing.

If you want more sales to happen you should be able to run with more hours on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. More there is more traffic in the store. You can expect more when running with same payroll. If you have policy in place back up the managers. There is great work life balance at the home office when the get to spend time with there families on Holidays. ( Thanksgiving) But you don't think twice about the people running the store.