Gymboree Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
425 reviews filtered by
2.7
Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

1. Manager

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

The people are overall great (fun, good attitude, dedicated) and the learning opportunities are seemingly endless

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent, systems have not been upgraded in years, tools are not in place for employees to be successful at their jobs. It's a difficult place to be successful.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to be clearer about the direction of the company and provide employees with tools to get the job done. I also would focus on employee satisfaction as a barometer of success.

2. Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dixon, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dixon, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Hourly pay is good, nice coworkers who make it like family, safe environment, schedule out early enough to make plans ahead

Cons

You work all holidays and weekends, they make you work overtime during a lot of sales and events, you don't always get the days off you ask for an their attendance policy is horrible.

Advice to Management

You should change the attendance policy because it is really unfair and give people raises at least one a year. You should also provide better training.

3. Not the greatest company to work for.

I worked at Gymboree part-time

Pros

Hours are great in some locations, if you want the hours Gymboree is great.

Cons

Striclty a corp rain company doesn't really care about its employees.

5. Corporate does not care about you-

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Manager will often work around your schedule.
    If you have the right team it can be fun

Cons

Supposed to be a 'family' place but that only means the customers. Corporate does not care if you work holidays. (One store is open on Easter) Lots to do with no time to do it. They offer bonuses but set the goals so high it's rare to actually get that. Minimum hours with maximum expectations. 2 hours given to do 2000 markdowns. This year they are not even giving raises. (Raises are seriously like .05 cents anyway but still- Managers are often lazy and they take 40 hours of the week so you are scrambling to the work needed to be done. POOR planning on the company- Monday and Tuesday are mostly dead but they send replenishment on Wednesday and new lines arrive on Friday making the back room full and the work load hectic. Between all the crazy sales and coupons customers are constantly complaining. This company is running itself into the toilet. No raises but they WASTE so much in plastic and paper. They spend millions on signs STUPID PEOPLE

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on signs and over packing.
    If pants are individually bagged and rolled up expect things to take longer to do.
    Maybe actually go to a store and do markdowns and new line and see how much time it really takes.
    Give decent payroll hours

6. Okay starting job

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

Discount
    Fun clothes
    Small store
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Management
    Corporate
    Not enough hours
    Unorganized shipment coming into store
    So much stress put on managers

Advice to Management

Be more organized when it comes to sending shipment. And hire passionate and professional people to manage the stores

7. Sales Lead

I have been working at Gymboree part-time

Pros

Great environment. Really get to connect with your customers. Running shifts are easy. Work staff is usually all very friendly. Flexible with schedule and requests off

Cons

Pay sucks. Not worth all the work put in. Raises are very little. Hours are not great unless you are working in management but could vary by store. No benefits unless upper management

Advice to Management

Be more involved with employee development. Be patient with new staff. Company should pay workers more and have better incentives

8. Store manager

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Have fun with customers and seeing new line

Cons

DM mentally checked out, call because been doing open to close and she cares less not one time has she offered to come relieve a lunch or anything its sad , coming from retail background that had so much integrity and high standards it's shocking that Gymboree has consistently over looked this texas districts problem s.

Advice to Management

Not advice to management the advice is to Corporate you have a walking law suit on your hands with this DM .She has no feeling but will fake smile like she is your best friend. Just be real and admit you don't know how to hear people and she has no people skills.

9. Manager view

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

The best thing about this company is being able to work with the families. If you are a people person you would enjoy the customers

Cons

This company does not care about there people. Upper management is not friendly to your staff and don't care that they work hard for the company too. pay is poor for the amount of hours they require you to work. The salary managers are expected to make up for the lack of hour that are given.

Advice to Management

Focus on caring about your people more and that will help grow your business. People work for people not the company and if you stress out the managers how do you expect them to run a strong healthy happen team after being torn down.

10. Sales Lead

I worked at Gymboree part-time

Pros

easy work, flexible schedule, discount, great management, best POS system

Cons

Pay, corporate wanted alot more overly sales-y pitches and behavior towards customers but that's the case with most big businesses, no real benefits for part-timers

Advice to Management

This is for higher up. We work with the customers and see what they need. If we check on them, we don't need to follow them around and continuously ask them if they need something: that's creepy. If you offer an accessory and ask if they have a rewards card, it's a bit much to also offer a credit card, especially if they didn't have the rewards card or if they got gymbucks. And three accessories is alot of accessories to offer when Gymboree products sell so well. We don't always have 3 to offer.

It depends on who you work with.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work itself is easy. If you have good co-workers it makes it even easier. My manager was generous with giving me the time off that I asked for, and I knew I could rely on both my manager and the assistant manager when I was in a pinch. However, I have heard of other stores having bad upper management and bad co-workers, so it really depends on who you work with.

Cons

Coupons and policies are confusing to both associates and customers. I was confronted with disgruntled customers who couldn't understand how the coupons work too many times to count.

Also, new line is a hassle, especially now that corporate has been sending boxes literally the day before the new line is supposed to be out. This forces everyone to work through the entire night and next morning. Before, we would get boxes at least two days in advance, giving us time to hang. But now the new line boxes almost always come the day before.

In addition, if you work at a bigger store, cleanup is almost impossible, and they only schedule two people per shift. I had the unfortunate experience of covering someone's shift at a larger store once, and it was a disaster. When customers complain about the larger and more popular stores having bad service, I don't blame them. The associates are stretched too thin to even think about providing basic customer service. If you apply, apply at a smaller, less popular store.

Advice to Management

Even though I work at a much smaller store, we are required to make similar or the same goals as larger stores. Management has to understand that dinging us for not being able to bring customers in, when the area we're located has hardly any customers anyway, is ridiculous.

Also, as mentioned in cons, the way the coupons and rewards are structured is too confusing, and the information on how they work is not readily available to customers. Things need to be streamlined.

Gymboree Photos

Gymboree HQ SF
A typical crowded back room
Newline is always hell