Gymboree

www.gymboree.com

Gymboree Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve(in 15 reviews)

• If you don't know any better (what work-life balance really looks like or what good pay is for the job) you might like it(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly(in 32 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given(in 28 reviews)

Your experience will depend on what department you're in

ProsThey try to make it a fun environment.

ConsIt's all about who likes you, not necessarily your skill set.

Advice to Senior ManagementDig into your turnover in specific departments to find out why people are really leaving.

Not a perfect company to work for

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsHard to think of any.

ConsThey only hire part-time there then they don't have to give employees any benefits. It's always on call, you never know when you need to work. They suddenly call you on the weekend because someone called sick. And the hours are extendable. If it's busy, they will ask you to stay for more hours. So it's really hard to plan your own plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy work was excellent and I was the most hard-working sales associate but I was never asked to go up as a sales lead. My co-worker told me that I need to ask about the promotion instead of being asked.

Low stress but little support

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis job is easy, you have no major stress if you are doing your job i.e. helping customers, meeting your goals, keeping your store visually appealing. Any good manager can manage those things. It's a fun environment to work in, interacting with the children and their family. But there is definitely opportunity to grow if you have a good district manager this is a great company to learn retail get management experience and then move on to BIGGER and BETTER!!

ConsYou will work many hours alone with no assistance, not due to the lack of employees, but the lack of hours your store is allowed to use per week. The turnover rate is very high for those who are not in management because there are no hours available. I could go on about issues but all of those issue go back to the lack of hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

awful!

Store Manager (Former Employee)

Prosnot any pros unless you want drama, no pay, slackin dms, spend your own cash just to wipe your tail at work

Consget away fast as you can. 5 cent raises, cell phone bills out the roof, dms text you all hours of the night. no support, keep bad kick good to the curb

Advice to Senior ManagementSTART OVER OR JUST QUIT

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFun and Easy! Great people to work with. Gymboree makes beautiful clothing so easy to sell. Discounts on clothing.

ConsGymboree still has old technology: old computers, old school registers and POS program, old school ways of doing markdowns. Never given extra hours for markdowns, marketing changes. I am always having to cut hours or work off the clock just to get things done. So many tasks but never enough time to do everything. Over worked and under paid. Customers get better discounts than us employees get.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish that Management would realize how long it takes to do certain tasks and give us more hours to complete them without us working off the clock or cutting hours just to make payroll. I have associates quitting because pay is horrible and I can't give them the hours they would like.

Gymboree is a fun and friendly environment to work at.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsYou get to creat a bond with the customer and that kind of relation is good when you want to show the customers how important they are.

ConsThe amount of hours I would get was low and I feel that some people where I worked where not that dedicated to the job.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

If you have children you wish to see on a normal basis, don't work here!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAre outweighed by the cons

ConsLow pay to store team, corporate leaders demeaning to store associates/managers and are disconnected from the reality of the stores. Unreasonable payroll constraints; store managers are expected to pick up slack of low payroll which means no work/life balance. No training hours given to stores; I received approximately 2.5 days for training and one was just onboarding paperwork. First day in a Gymboree location was in role in the store. Distribution and Logistics program is as outdated as their technology. Allocations are un-organized and little to no payroll is given to support heavy shipment and newlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople work for people; your field leaders need to be given the proper support to pass down to their store teams. Upward mobility is decent, but the pay to do so is demotivating. Remember that store managers/store teams are people too; we have families and we like to enjoy them as much as you enjoy yours.

Decent pay, but to run successful store you need to work a lot of hours.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFlexibility, discount, chance to earn bonus

ConsToo much product being sent to stores, work by yourself a lot

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more payroll to the stores so they can invest in the right people.

Gets me by.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Cypress, TX

ProsMy employer works around my school schedule, which is ideal for myself as well as most college students who work in retail.

ConsManagement does not talk very much with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better "open door policy".

Employee's need better support

ProsThe other employees are usually always fun to work with. They work usually well around other schedules going on.

ConsPay is awful even being with the company for years it is only a few cents raise here and their. The upper management doesn't back up the employees, There are changes made last minute and with not enough hours it is almost impossible to get everything done. Employees can never plan for things because the schedule is not given to employees for Sunday until Wednesday and Thursday which makes planning your everyday events and activities very hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees, and back them up. Most of the time when a customer complains it is just for a coupon. They know how to cheat the system and with management never supporting or backing up their employees it shows that Gymboree doesn't care about their employees. Gymboree says they are family oriented but working on holidays just for the profit is wrong, management gets to spend time with their family but the every day employees have to miss out on time with their family because the business is greedy. Also when there is employee appreciation week don't give the customers a coupon that is better than the employee discount during that specific week. It is a slap to all employees face when that happens.

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!