Gymboree

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
2.5

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Company in a downward spiral

Current Employee - Current Store Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Current Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very basic structure with no secret shops or selling culture to be held accountable to. If you are a person who does not like challenge this is a perfect fit.

Cons

Excessive hours required due to lack of payroll, tends to become boring with little change other than floor sets – which are done with minimal payroll. You will work with a system of hours based on sales regardless of projects. Benefits are poor – discount is low compared to competitors, bonus is unobtainable, based on goal set by corporate, excess of 10% over last year sales required to bonus. Pay is across the board substandard from store manager down to sales leaving the store in the hands of low quality personnel. DM tends to micromanage leaving little room for creativity or growth. No room for advancement as all positions are filled from outside.

Hire professionals who are able to bring the business to the next level. Gymboree was known for high having a solid reputation which no longer exists. Stop recruiting and promoting those not qualified in order to save dollars. Stop purging company of upper management as a cost factor.

Tiring, Overworked, and Not Nice Employees

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- casual environment
    - cute kids
    -really good touch screen cash registers

Cons

- horrendous kids music played loop after loop. makes you want to pull your hair out
    - not enough time on breaks
    - mean manager
    - training wasn't that sufficient

Sales Lead

Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder

I worked at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-Paced Environment, Quick Promotion, Good 1st job. You will meet a lot of great co-workers from all walks of life. Most of the sales associates and leads are younger kid; 18/19 year olds. You will gain lots of retail experience.

Cons

Always, Always understaffed. Many times you will work much longer than you are scheduled. Large percentage of employee turnover. As with all companies, when you start working you get very little hours but when I say little, think about 9 hours a week if you're lucky. Lot of distrust in the company.

Hire enough staff for holidays and especially regular calendar years. Really think about the people having to put up and take down marketing in stores when you are changing them on almost a daily basis. Give stores enough money to hire more staff- you have the funds. And also, if a store manager has gotten written up 7 times, please fire them.

Low pay, high demands.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sometimes you will enjoy co workers and customers.

Cons

The customers always get a better deal on the clothing than employees. Corporate has you working alone for long stretches and company seems to hate their employees.

Listen to stores! Give us enough hours to schedule more double coverage.

If you do not want a work life balance it's perfect!!!

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product.
    Amazing customers.
    Good discount .
    Making friends for life .

Cons

Long work days. Alone in most stores for long period of time.
    The expectations are not realistic for most stores. Work load is high without enough payroll to support. Upper management not always supportive.
    There's not a lot of respect for field employees.

Try actually living by our new set of values. Simple, kind, trustworthy and I could go on and on..
    Go into a store an actually help them, not point fingers and make blame and walk out. Come in an actually work with store teams and get to know your field employees. We field employees set the tone for our stores and create so many friends for life with our customer base. If field employees were valued for what they really have to say instead of what you want to hear. It should be ok to speak our minds as long as it is respectful to all parties. Do a survey (anonymous people are actually afraid to speak out and say the truth) and actually see how many people are happy.. I think you would be surprised by by the results.

Awesome clothes and product. Clothes sell itself.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Gymboree as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

40% discount on personal purchases
    50% off discount several times a year
    20-30% discount from Sister company Crazy 8 and Janie & Jack.
    You can help other stores to make more hours if you are a good worker.

Cons

You do get snobby customers who think they are rich or wealthy because they can afford to purchase Gymboree.
    Gymbucks redemption time gets crazy.
    Smell of soiled diapers and kids running around the store.
    Kids TV is on all day but you do learn to block if out.
    Many shoplifters love this place, many shop lifters are moms stashing accessories under their strollers.
    Don't be surprised to get 2 hours a week on slow months or be on call all week.
    New store set ups monthly are terrible.
    You will most likely get more hours on these days because the work load is so overwhelming but be prepared to clock past midnight.
    Many management changes constantly.
    Yearly reviews only help to give you a 12 cent raise.

They will rather promote from outside the company than see the true potential of their own staff.
    Most of them do not lead by example and do leave you alone in the store when they are not supposed to.

Associate/LOD

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

Good Clientele because the employees here are dedicated!

Cons

The new line hours are for slaves who are wishing to work for a greedy corporation. Mitt Romney is supposedly a family man who values family yet allows this company to make working mothers work on Labor Day and the night before school starts for so many...

The pay is insulting for what is expected.

Allow for regional differences. Value should be given to knowledge of what is sales effective in each store.

The hours given for tasks to be done is ridiculously low. Allow more associates/LODs to be hired as needed in each store!

Fun Company to Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lombard, IL

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gymboree has excellent training programs that help you continually grow.

Cons

Sometime they are too much by the book, this includes scheduling hours and sales.

not bad

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people. hard workers. friendly and great atmosphere.

Cons

management changes frequently. needs better direction and guidance. other than that, its a great place to work and gain experience from.

Simple and Fun

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love how simple this job is, I am a sales associate and this is definitely a great job to gain retail and customer service experience. I think managers can make or break an experience and I luckily have a great manager.

Cons

Lack of payroll hours sometimes when things need to get done i.e. having hours allocated to prepare for a new line, low pay