Gymboree

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.6

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

It was "okay"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, cute and reliable children's clothing, great employees

Cons

Short hours (usually only 2 hours a shift which is a waste of gas), New Line was horrible, Rude customers, no benefits

Assistant manager, free labor for manager

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

Fun environment depending on staff

Cons

Everything. Bad hours. Not enough staff. No benefits

High employee turnover in my area made it challenging to progress and do my job.

I worked at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Passionate people and overall pretty good company culture. Work environment was okay and company definitely working to provide free perks to employees.

Cons

Very lean team, took too long to find replacements and management has unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished.

It is child's play!

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

culture, people, ease of accessibility to public transport, great discounts, health benefits, bi-annual sample sale, 401K, phenomenal CEO and the cafe.

Cons

sometimes working lean and mean allows one to grow in their skills-sets, expanded roles & responsibilities, but if we are lean and mean then pay is as well.

more mid management roles. more pay.

Fantastic

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

Fun environment, great customers, and fabulous merchandise that you can really stand behind.
    Management is amazing and really hears you out and tries to work with you.

Cons

Very little payroll and store manager is the only full timer. Not a lot of hours to go around and that makes it hard to get things done because you're often by yourself in the store except nights and weekends.

Wonderful Boss

Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead, Key Holder in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with some of the best women ever! Decent employee discount, flexible schedule, great team environment

Cons

Not enough hours or pay.

Please pay your workers a living wage, I CRIED when I left! I truly and honestly didn't wan to leave, but had no choice in order to be 'responsible' financially.

It was a great company to grow with. The customers and store teams were the best part of the job.

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great customer service culture, which made it a pleasure to work in the store. Improving communication tools have helped information flow. Company 401k match, and generous paid time off for full time positions.

Cons

Management staffing often a challenge, store teams must balance average wages with minimal hours, and open availability. HR keeps coming up with solutions that lack the flexibility to be useful in the real world.

Upper Management should consider real world solutions to hiring and merchandise flow. Wage, available hours and minimum staffing greatly impact store success. The old company values and vision were significantly more motivating and easier to connect with.

Run for the hills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Free Soda, Coffee, Tea, and Water in the cafe
    Easy Access by public transportation

Cons

-Not many employees actually know anything about the industry, making every conversation an educational lesson. EVERY TIME.
    -Can become tiresome very quickly.
    -An uncanny amount of nepitism within the building.
    -Computer systems are 15+ years out of date. Your cellphone is more complex than any design,production,merchandising, and general computing system within the building.
    -Very emotional work environment.
    -Kumbaya meetings are required at least once a month.
    -Production and Design calendar/timeline is an absolute mess. Always confused and surprised that product actually makes it to the store.

-Have one voice. Have one voice. Have one voice. Have one voice.
    -Pay the employees what they are worth
    -Hire people who are actual professionals in the industry.
    -Create a competitive and supportive work environment - People will work for you if you show them hard work pays.
    -Stop having company meetings in expensive hotels. It sends the wrong message if you're going to tell employees they are not getting a bonus.
    -Re-brand your HR team. Nobody knows who to talk to. They are practically absent. Outreach is not a mass e-mail and cupcakes in the cafe... That's just lazy.
    -Get a new CEO - nothing hurts more than to hear the company leader say they are "okay with everyone leaving, because it will open spots for new people".

Choose a Different Employer

Current Employee - Lead
    Current Employee - Lead

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of my co-workers are great
    Clothes are cute

Cons

Salary sucks
    Constantly understaffed
    Not enough hours allotted for New Line/Markdowns
    Customers have forgotten that manners matter on both sides of the fence.

Pay a living wage. Be realistic in setting goals. Stop gouging the sales staff; we are the ones who either make or break the experience for the customer.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the people that I work with, the decent discount at all brands and the fact that my commute is short.

Cons

There is no respect for employees at any level. The work increases as the payroll hours decrease. Benefits are cut every year. The company appears to be more disorganized every day. While we print reams of paperwork, they change their minds constantly (creating more work), shuffle the same old promos alienating the customer (who got one discount on Monday and then it was cheaper on Tuesday) and shipping boxes of unneeded product to the stores. We are given 10 hours to sort and process 50+ boxes, move the entire store, put out the new product and build and place holiday decorations. All this after the store closes. There is no staff to speak of because they pay rate is so minimal and we are not permitted to hire any one under 18.

The company is suffering because of lack of originality in design, poor inventory control, and policies that hurt the profit line. You need to assess the coupon policy since no ever expects to use one when then store is 40% off anyway. Returns are out of control and since the store who takes the return loses that money that day there is no accountability for what any division of the company is really doing. The internet is a winner while the return store suffers and loses bonus ability. You need to update the computer systems. They are awkward and slow and annoy the customer while making the
    associates look inept. Lastly, show appreciation for the people in the field who keep the company afloat. On employee appreciation day it is an insult to print out little cards so that we can write what we appreciate about each other! Show us how you appreciate what we do by planning timely gym maps, sending us only what we need, clearing out the back rooms and giving us enough payroll to provide the level of service you preach.