Gymboree

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014
2.5

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed the Employee discount for purchasing for my own little girl at the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Just okay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked in product design department:
    •People are generally nice.
    •It's in San Francisco. That's a big plus in itself.
    •If you're a designer, it's pretty creative at times. Emphasis on "at times".
    •It CAN be pretty creative.
    •Shopping trips.
    •Free sodas, coffee drinks, etc...in the cafeteria. Cafeteria employees are very nice people.

Cons

•High turnover
    •Overworked, underpaid. You work the job of two to three people for the price of one.
    •Very long hours.
    •VERY VERY clique-y, and at times, sorority-like (at least in the design and merchandising department).
    •Designs are basically "inspired" by other people's/companies' work. If you work in the industry, you know what I mean. This is not unique to Gymbo.
    • It's a good place to get stuck and not grow.
    •Typical corporate environment.
    •Employees don't seem like a priority because they are replaceable.

Run for the hills

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Free Soda, Coffee, Tea, and Water in the cafe
    Easy Access by public transportation

Cons

-Not many employees actually know anything about the industry, making every conversation an educational lesson. EVERY TIME.
    -Can become tiresome very quickly.
    -An uncanny amount of nepitism within the building.
    -Computer systems are 15+ years out of date. Your cellphone is more complex than any design,production,merchandising, and general computing system within the building.
    -Very emotional work environment.
    -Kumbaya meetings are required at least once a month.
    -Production and Design calendar/timeline is an absolute mess. Always confused and surprised that product actually makes it to the store.

-Have one voice. Have one voice. Have one voice. Have one voice.
    -Pay the employees what they are worth
    -Hire people who are actual professionals in the industry.
    -Create a competitive and supportive work environment - People will work for you if you show them hard work pays.
    -Stop having company meetings in expensive hotels. It sends the wrong message if you're going to tell employees they are not getting a bonus.
    -Re-brand your HR team. Nobody knows who to talk to. They are practically absent. Outreach is not a mass e-mail and cupcakes in the cafe... That's just lazy.
    -Get a new CEO - nothing hurts more than to hear the company leader say they are "okay with everyone leaving, because it will open spots for new people".

not bad

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people. hard workers. friendly and great atmosphere.

Cons

management changes frequently. needs better direction and guidance. other than that, its a great place to work and gain experience from.

Don't even think about it

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Location is good, free coffee/drinks, friendly cafe staff, a lot of the worker bees (non-management) are great. 3% of managers and above are also great. Benefits (health/vision/dental) are about average but I'll still list this as a pro. Vacation time is not bad. Mark although not making wonderful decisions is a nice guy, so I am listing that as a pro as well. Overall HR team is nice. if you want to play political games to get ahead in title and pay, it isn't very hard. You don't even have to know how to do your job.

Cons

Management. Management. Management. Sorry, let's say this one more time: management. Executive team feels that there is no need to learn about the business and it is clear that the vast majority of VPs and higher have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Working there is similar to the Hunger Games and the politics at this stage are beyond tolerable levels. It's absolutely toxic. The Kardashian family has less drama than this place.

Training has never been great at Gymboree HQ and it is only getting worse. As more individuals resign the knowledge of processes and functions within the business continue to dwindle. I genuinely feel bad when people accept offers at the company.

Company has rebranded and "invested" in marketing to only change their tune a year or so later. Strategy from a brand perspective is non-existent. The plans to make money for the business are a joke. Fiscal results are still published and even if you are not a numbers person, please read them. Note the trends quarter after quarter.

Work/life balance can be really amazing or really awful. Some people have been working 9-5 (if that) for years, others work morning, noon, night, weekends, and holidays and still fall behind. This does not depend on the team or the title. There are individuals from both groups everywhere. It is mind blowing.

Understand the business and the customer. Quit hyping up values once a quarter that do not exist. Talking out of both sides of your mouth will only accelerate the already faster than the speed of light pace of people resigning. Halt the competitions to scream over another VP and use the most four letter words in management meetings. It is killing. the. business. It is wasting good lower level talent.

Corporate HQ

Current Employee - Product Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Free coffee, cappuccinos, tea, soft drinks (but nothing compared to what tech employees get)

Cons

-Antiquated technologies (old PCs and software -- we still use internet explorer 7)
    -Too much paper waste. I feel like were killing a small forest every week.
    -No training. This is an individual case. My manager barely spent time training me with the processes and operations. There is no cooperate orientation for contract workers, which makes no sense in terms of on boarding and efficiency.

Comfortable work environment with great people

Former Employee - Product Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

People are very nice, scheduling is very flexible, management is very open to suggestions and having conversations, and pay is on the higher end

Cons

Lots of cross-functional coordination makes things difficult sometimes, in general things have to touch many sets of hands for any process, hours can sometimes be a little long and not well regulated

Check-in with employees to make sure they're not feeling overwhelmed

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant - Merchandising in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant - Merchandising in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great upper management, fair, hard working, willing to train, appreciative, work-life balance...loved working Gymboree!

Cons

Human Resources does not communicate well…confusion abounds.

overall, I feel happy with the people I work with, but there is room for improvement for the system.

Current Employee - Assistant Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1/2 day fridays during the summer time. Free popcorn on Tuesdays. Free snack time on Thursdays. Free yoga classes on Tuesdays.

Cons

There are constantly changes in the work I do. Upper management cannot decide on a strategy before design team designs. What ends up happening is constantly changing the designs even 2 seasons prior.

Decide on a strategy together and stick with it.

A mixed feelings about this company....

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the clothes and the warm family feelings.
    I was in a very good team and the people around me are very kind and nice to each other.
    Basically, it is a good company with a lot of nice and easy going people.

Cons

We have 4 C Level and numerous of VP level changes during 2013.

Sr. leadership are so focused on getting their numbers right and forget about how to run a company in a long run. No long term investments in people, system and infrastructures.

The processes in my department is somewhat ancient and the manager there is not willing to take the steps to improve without TOP DOWN pressure.

A lot of other middle managers are being with the company so long and not willing to adapt changes. However, the Sr. leadership are changing like crazy and it will take quite sometime to get the new elements in the Mid Level managers.

Be more generous to your staffs who paid 50+ hours a week to keep the lights "ON" for the company. Almost all the people I know around me are underpaid in the SF market.

Overall, a pretty good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked for Gymboree off and on for the past 10 years. For the most part, they seem to care about their employees and the vibe is mostly positive. They have free drinks and snack time on Thursdays. Located right in downtown SF which is very convenient. They pay decent and are fairly flexible with schedules.

Cons

Like most companies, I've seen it go through a lot of changes and a lot of ups and downs (layoffs, restructure, rehire, etc.) Recently there has been a lot of new upper management (most of which have come from The Gap) Although they say they promote from within, I don't entirely believe that...speaking from first hand experience

Don't turn this company into The Gap (part 2), there are a lot of loyal Gymboree customers who will walk away if this happens