Gymboree

www.gymboree.com

Gymboree Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Mark Breitbard

Pros
  • You meet lots of great customers to help and serve (in 15 reviews)

• If you don't know any better (what work-life balance really looks like or what good pay is for the job) you might like it (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • New line is such a mess, not enough hours given to complete properly (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management does not respond in a timely manner when corrective actions needs to be given (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights
29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Comfortable work environment with great people

Product Development (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are very nice, scheduling is very flexible, management is very open to suggestions and having conversations, and pay is on the higher end

ConsLots of cross-functional coordination makes things difficult sometimes, in general things have to touch many sets of hands for any process, hours can sometimes be a little long and not well regulated

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck-in with employees to make sure they're not feeling overwhelmed

Corporate HQ

Product Development (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Free coffee, cappuccinos, tea, soft drinks (but nothing compared to what tech employees get)

Cons-Antiquated technologies (old PCs and software -- we still use internet explorer 7)
    -Too much paper waste. I feel like were killing a small forest every week.
    -No training. This is an individual case. My manager barely spent time training me with the processes and operations. There is no cooperate orientation for contract workers, which makes no sense in terms of on boarding and efficiency.

Great company to work for!

Administrative Assistant - Merchandising (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat upper management, fair, hard working, willing to train, appreciative, work-life balance...loved working Gymboree!

ConsHuman Resources does not communicate well…confusion abounds.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overall, I feel happy with the people I work with, but there is room for improvement for the system.

Assistant Designer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros1/2 day fridays during the summer time. Free popcorn on Tuesdays. Free snack time on Thursdays. Free yoga classes on Tuesdays.

ConsThere are constantly changes in the work I do. Upper management cannot decide on a strategy before design team designs. What ends up happening is constantly changing the designs even 2 seasons prior.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on a strategy together and stick with it.

A mixed feelings about this company....

Logistics Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people, the clothes and the warm family feelings.
    I was in a very good team and the people around me are very kind and nice to each other.
    Basically, it is a good company with a lot of nice and easy going people.

ConsWe have 4 C Level and numerous of VP level changes during 2013.

Sr. leadership are so focused on getting their numbers right and forget about how to run a company in a long run. No long term investments in people, system and infrastructures.

The processes in my department is somewhat ancient and the manager there is not willing to take the steps to improve without TOP DOWN pressure.

A lot of other middle managers are being with the company so long and not willing to adapt changes. However, the Sr. leadership are changing like crazy and it will take quite sometime to get the new elements in the Mid Level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more generous to your staffs who paid 50+ hours a week to keep the lights "ON" for the company. Almost all the people I know around me are underpaid in the SF market.

Overall, a pretty good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI've worked for Gymboree off and on for the past 10 years. For the most part, they seem to care about their employees and the vibe is mostly positive. They have free drinks and snack time on Thursdays. Located right in downtown SF which is very convenient. They pay decent and are fairly flexible with schedules.

ConsLike most companies, I've seen it go through a lot of changes and a lot of ups and downs (layoffs, restructure, rehire, etc.) Recently there has been a lot of new upper management (most of which have come from The Gap) Although they say they promote from within, I don't entirely believe that...speaking from first hand experience

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't turn this company into The Gap (part 2), there are a lot of loyal Gymboree customers who will walk away if this happens

Lots of ups and downs

Colorist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCo-workers, location, teamwork, culture and product

ConsExecutives, compensation, 401k, benefits and FTP

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your employees actually doing the day to day tasks

Good start for a career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLoved the culture and my team. Good benefits.

ConsLong hours. Little opportunity for career advancement. Too much office politics.

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLearn a new framework and some UI stuff.

Consold technologies and small IT team

Politics galore at corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFree coffee and soda in the cafe

ConsHigh turn over
    Low pay
    Lots of politics
    HR does not support lower level employees when they are having issues with management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate high turn over.

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!