H.BLOOM Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.8

Bryan Burkhart

A fun, fast paced, growing company with lots of potential

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Aside from the company revolving around flowers (and who doesn't love flowers?!) there are many pros to working at H.BLOOM. First of all, I think almost everyone agrees that the people in this office are some of the best people you'll ever meet. We're a really fun, young, upbeat team and are always laughing and making the best out of things. In terms of upwards mobility, the opportunities are endless. H.BLOOM is a very young company and is growing rapidly meaning there are positions to fill and roles to take on. We are always brainstorming new ideas to help with our success and everyone is very receptive to all sorts of different input.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working with H.Bloom may be the fact that with a young, start up company comes frequent changes. With the right attitude and a bit of flexibility this is easy to overcome!

BEWARE

Former Employee - Account Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Associate in New York, NY

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some great girls and it was a learning experience

Cons

- Never know who is going to be fired next
    - Can never trust management
    - Poor business model, goes through actual florists then hikes up prices
    -Management can spend money on lavish parties and unlimited booze but cant expedite business cards to remote Account Executives
    -Management has no loyalty to anyone
    -Unfulfilled promises
    -Never ending gossip
    - terrible pay
    - "training" is actually 3 months of cold calling
    - never know how much money you'll make each pay period

Value your employees and be honest

Met some great people, but company is absolutely miserable to work for

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Work in Manhattan
    - COO is absolutely awesome, if only the rest of upper management had the same great attitude and drive that he does

Cons

- You are glued to a computer all day making phone calls and trying to set up "meetings" with companies, this requires no education or real talent.
    -Pay is extremely low, especially if you want to live in Manhattan
    - Sales manager "C" is extremely rude, catty and overall just not a nice person. She clearly chooses favorites the moment you come through the door and doesn't have a problem hiding her feelings towards you at all. Basically if you don't have the same catty attitude as hers, she won't like you
    - When I applied, I applied and accepted a position that would have placed me in Hawaii, by the time I got to training 3 weeks later I found out that this position was no longer available and the majority of upper management had been fired just weeks before I started
    - You are promised one thing, and when it comes time for H.Bloom to follow through on that promise, they come up with all sorts of excuses as to why they can't deliver it to you.
    - HIGH TURNOVER!
    -They all think that for some reason cold calling is the best thing ever - let's be honest here. If you busted your butt in college to get a great job post-grad cold calling is about the furthest thing you could be doing that is utilizing any sort of skill you learned in college. Instead it makes you second guess why you are even at the company
    - They put a glamorous front, but in reality there is absolutely nothing even remotely great about this job
    - When I read these reviews as an applicant I wish I would have taken them more seriously. I only hope that future applicants will read these and really take to heart what previous experiences have been like. Unless your idea of a dream job is calling hundreds of businesses every day only to be hung up on, or reach someones voicemail this job isn't for you.

You need to start truly valuing your employees, especially your new hires. Showing and telling them that they are constantly disposable is not a way to keep people around and show them that they are valued employees who mean something to the company. You will never grow like you want to if you keep treating people like this. It only takes a couple weeks for your true company colors to be exposed, and based on your extremely high turnover rates they clearly aren't very good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Luxury Company WITHOUT the Luxury

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

While at h.bloom I made some of the best friends I'll ever. People work hard and play even harder. I learned a lot about handling customers and working in a sales position.

Cons

Where to start... This company had changed drastically in the past several months. During my time of employment a total if 40 people where either let go or chose to leave the company. They have no regard for keeping their employees which is readily backed up by the ludicrous number of new account associates they being in each week.
    I was hired into a company with a great culture and staff and that rapidly disappeared. By the time I left my position girls were catty, unnecessarily mean and vindictive and extremely cutthroat. The SEED manager is extremely vocal and will stir up drama as she sees fit. Instead of coaching and building relationships with other employees she takes whatever chance she has to belittle, criticize and make you fear for the safety of your position. Acting as the mouthpiece for management, she has no problem making decisions of her own before checking with the hire ups.
    The pay is minuscule in comparison to other positions in the field. You will live on next to nothing and will have your pay changed on you with little to no notice. Management seems to being staying afloat as best as possible without concern for the financial well being of it's employees or partners.
    Operating on a partner system makes it incredibly hard to toe the line between appropriate clientele and working with people out of desperation. The CEO wants to be the netflix of flowers, but most of the big name accounts they advertise only work with them in a singular location or have previously cancelled subscription services. Account executives are encouraged to close deals by any means possible and upper management has no control over AEs operating in markets outside of New York.
    With the departure of the VP of Sales, the CEO had taken over managing the sales portion of the company to disastrous results. AEs are not supported and are often left on their own to figure out solutions they are not properly trained to handle. Beware applying for a specific market - you will be shuffled off to the newest vacancy and if you protest you will either be let go or forced to continue cold calling for an undetermined amount of time.

Listen to your employees, hire thoughtful managers and restructure your business model - it's not sustainable. You won't have a company in sixth months if you keep losing partners and employees left and right.

Stay Far, Far, Away

Former Employee - Account Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Associate in New York, NY

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Came out of the experience with a few lifelong friends. They do a good job of manipulating errr hiring good people by pretending to be good people, too.

Cons

-Completely misleading. There is no competitive advantage to this company. There is nothing stopping the girls there from forming their own group, approaching local florists throughout the country, and acting as their account reps. The "technology" they advertise that they have, simply does not exist. It is a partnership with florists where they sell on behalf of that florist but under the H.Bloom name.

-Bogus "training". Prepare to sit in a beautiful office and feel badly about yourself if you don't cold-call at least 70 people per day and attempt to reach arbitrary goals. Instead of developing you they run you to the ground to book frivolous "meetings" and when it seems a few girls are getting burned out they bring in a new batch. Within one week they lost SEVEN of 15 of us, but it's okay because a new batch of 8 or 9 was scheduled to arrive. You are a number.

-Quality control. There is none. I strongly believe you have to believe in your product to sell it effectively. Unfortunately, you can manage your account all you want but there are so many factors out of your control that you basically will be lying to your account and crossing your fingers that your market is even open next week to fulfill your promises.

-Ruthless. They seem to not feel bad at all that they move girls from their hometowns/existing careers to NYC and feel no remorse when the truth comes out that this company has no idea what they're doing.

What's sad is that the CEO and CFO seem like genuinely fun, good people. The interviews I had was the main reason I accepted the position, unfortunately two of three of the interviewers were let go in my 3rd week (VP of Sales and Recruiter) so I couldn't actually hold them accountable for all the false promises. Great people but awful, awful product and no direction or depth of knowledge to push this company into the future.

Instead of having a revolving door of sales people, get a good batch and really dive in deep. Just because someone doesn't see the value in cold-calling and hitting frivolous numbers that actually enforce lying and manipulation (maybe that's why they don't mind, hidden company culture)..... doesn't mean they wouldn't be good in the field. Sit down and refocus before uprooting people from their lives for something you're unsure of yourself.

Company with wonderful potential, has INCREDIBLY high turnover rate.

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at H.Bloom are incredible. They are kind, helpful, driven, intelligent and above all, like family. Everyone tries to motivate each other during the day and there really isn't too much of a sense of competition among everyone which is rare considering it's sales. The opportunity to come to NYC for (what they tell you is 3 months) is great and an amazingly fun adventure. The products that they sell are breath taking and really stand out in their client's spaces. Being able to book a meeting and/or close a deal is incredibly satisfying and everyone gets excited for you when you do. The opportunity to talk to such powerful people in retail, hotels, offices etc is thrilling and you are able to learn a lot from speaking to these people. You will learn a lot, no doubt, but read the Cons below and decide for yourself if you want to subject yourself to this kind of environment.

Cons

It saddens me to say this but H.Bloom has one of the highest turnover rates I have ever seen. In my short 3 months there I had witnessed a layoff of 13 people from the management team, of which there were only 20. In addition to that there were 8 seeds that resigned and 1 was let go of. As for the AEs 3 of them resigned and 2 were let go of. Once a gifting campaign was over 4 additional people were out of work as well. All of this happened in THREE MONTHS. That's a total of 31 people. The company had no more than 75 employees. Plus, there has been rumors of 3 additional AEs leaving. That means 7 of their 12 markets would need new AEs. The learning curve for new AEs takes a while and if a fleet of new people start at the same time, it will be disastrous.

They hire people and promise them a market only to have them move all the way out to NYC and tell them they can't go there and need to keep their options open. The $1000 housing stipend is taxed so you don't really get the $1000. If you decide to accept a position at H.Bloom budget for that.

The management team is all very nice, act like they hear your cries for help or are listening to your suggestions but no progress is ever made. The team had asked to learn about the financial being of the company in depth and the topic has been ignored more times than I can count. They say they "yes" or "we can look into that" but nothing ever gets done.

Because of the layoff the remaining management staff is run ragged. I overheard the CEO himself say he was tired. Like I said, they are all great people but it's just too much to handle for them and the company seems to be falling apart because of it. All of the AEs answer to the CEO - roughly 20 girls - from all over the country. He has pledged to be accessible to everyone as much as the District Managers were to everyone before the layoff but the poor guy just doesn't have the time. Same goes for training. The training program manager has so much on her plate that the SEEDs are now training each other. Mind you they are trying to implement more flower training but that's about it. They are more concerned about getting in 70 calls a day then booking quality meetings.

I really wish H.Bloom would start addressing serious issues and listen to their employees because they are loosing a TON of money on turnover. I wish them the best of luck but don't see this ending well.

Start listening to your employees on how to improve the company. They are the ones putting $ in your pocket. Invest in listening to what they have to say to heart and ACT upon positive change rather than brushing issues to the side. If that means hiring more management and taking longer to break even, then do it because with the turnover you have, it will take you longer to get there anyway.

Amazing Opportunity for Those Willing to Work for It

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company's core principles include "care deeply about your colleagues, embrace the grind, and dream big." You will learn to live and breathe these principles. This is a dynamic young company undergoing a lot of exciting changes. There is amazing potential for someone starting a career in sales. You will have the opportunity to manage a premium book of business and even to open your own sales market in your first few months with H.Bloom. Everyone at the company is great. My experience with the sales team has been truly inspiring - you will work with a great group of young, intelligent and driven individuals. The atmosphere is full of energy and makes the long hours fly by. And, at the end of the day you're selling beautiful flowers!

Cons

This is not a job for someone looking to just coast through. You need to work for your success here and truly "embrace the grind." If you are entrepreneurial at heart and are willing to go the extra mile every day, you will have a rewarding experience. Feedback isn't sugar-coated, the hours are long, and things change all the time. If you're up for the challenge, you'll excel with H.Bloom.

Keep communication open. Management does a great job of responding to employees' feedback and needs - continue to listen to your employees. Make sure they continue to feel good about coming to work every day.

Fast-paced, hands-on company providing a beautiful product across the nation! Nothing like it.

I have been working at H.BLOOM full-time

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth -- not only professionally but personally. You meet so many people who are here to invest not only in growing a national luxury company but also in you. The opportunity to run your own market is indescribable!

Cons

Things change everyday -- which is to be expect with a startup and provides some excitement -- but sometimes things can get lost in the mix.

H.Bloom - Hardworking, Intelligent, Outgoing Candidates ONLY

Current Employee - Account Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at Headquarters are exceptional. In your everyday job you will interact with every department within the company.
    The CEO and COO and the most influential people within H.Bloom sit at the front of the office and regularly mingle, interact, and dine with their employees.
    The environment is a blast - bring your favorite playlists and be prepared to listen to music and laugh and hang out with your co workers on a regular basis.
    The focus and competitive nature here is character building and you will learn so much about yourself and your strengths and weaknesses as an employee.

Cons

Long hours - this, however, is not a CON, it is a lifestyle. We are building a Nationally recognized brand from the ground up.

"If it was easy, ANYONE would do it..." - BRYAN BURKHART (Founder & CEO of H.Bloom)

Please do not be fooled by the false promises and creative hype!

I worked at H.BLOOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Flexible vacation policy
    - A lot of young people (or there used to be) who are the only reason you don't go insane.
    - Nice budget for work culture.

Cons

- The turnover rate is insane. 10 people I worked with are gone and are MUCH happier now.
    - You are a money sign to them. That's it. At first, they do a good job of making you feel important. Give it a few months, and you will realize how fake everyone was.
    - The amount of trash talk there is among employees is ridiculous.
    - Management has no idea what they are doing.
    - Horrible communication. Don't expect to get any credit for any positive ideas that you do share.
    - The fancy website and multiple location is due to millions in investor funds. Not fast-growing success.

Get it together, and quickly, or NYC is going to absolutely destroy you. Take the time to TRAIN your employees and recognize that they are your sole means of making money, and you might want to at least pretend to be appreciative of their hard work (ups and downs included). Give your employees a reason (other than commission) to want to come to work. Don't just acknowledge them when they make a sale.

Worked for H.BLOOM? Contribute to the Community!