H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug Reviews

Dale Smith Jr.

1. Has potential

Current Employee - Warehouse
    Current Employee - Warehouse

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good industry. Good employees for the most part. Need more accountability for those that aren't good. Pay is average for demographics however we are dealing with $$$$ drugs that require a great deal of attention. You get what you pay for.

Cons

Disconnect throughout all management levels. Corp has no clue what is going on at ground level. They use survey monkey. How about getting real insite from employees at locations. Great potential but they don't capitalize on any of it. Zero accountability. We are also in health care industry yet they offer horrible health insurance to the employees. Family plan is over 700 a month with huge decutables. Come on smiths get a clue to what you really aren't offering!!!!! Our competitors offer more. No incentives or bonuses for supervisors.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Managers don't know all they think.

2. Growing and big potential

Current Employee - Technical Training Lead in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Training Lead in Springfield, IL

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has been really growing over the last year few years and I have had more advancement opportunities here than I have had anywhere else.

Cons

every company has areas to improve on, but I really can't think of anything that is so bad that its worth mentioning here

Advice to Management

praise those with a positive attitude, and continue to grow high potential associates with training.

3. Warehouse

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security lots of overtime

Cons

Very little home life terrible raisises. Company doesn't appreciate their employees . Work weekends and holidays work more than 14 hours a day ridiculous

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees be better organized use common sense use if you were in my shoes sienerio

5. Good experience, I learned a lot.

I worked at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug

Pros

It was always busy and I learned a lot.

Cons

A lot of gossip here and hard to get a promotion/raise (even when being a hard worker). If someone was let go, they didn't find a replacement, but instead gave more work to employees and no raise.

Advice to Management

Good employees deserve incentives/bonus.

Its good pay thats all

Current Employee - Picking in Louisville-Jefferson County, KY
    Current Employee - Picking in Louisville-Jefferson County, KY

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug

Pros

pay is decent, hours suck, working weekend sucks

Cons

work holidays, to many hours , not enough help, hours suck

Advice to Management

working holidays sucks

7. Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career advancement is easy, especially if you are young. Lots of exposure to senior leadership if your in a corporate office. For the most part all the hardware and software was top of the line.

Cons

Poor benefits: No 401K match, bad insurance, profit sharing they do not pay out. Many departments are lean and short staffed so your experience with each one will greatly vary.

8. Best company I've ever worked for.

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for several Fortune 500 corporations prior to coming to HD Smith. I was tired of being a number and not being able to affect change because I needed the approval of some regional or national leader who had no idea what I was managing in the field. Here they let you do your job. You are free to take calculated risks and you don't have to be afraid to fail as long as you operate in good faith and learn from your mistakes. Of course the company isn't perfect because it is comprised of fallible humans but I am very proud to work for HD Smith. Absolutely there are some hard days but it is recognized and rewarded. If you're looking for cheerleaders and nap pods apply to Google instead.

Cons

The company naturally experiences growing pains associated with moving from a small privately held company toward a larger more robust organization. Sometimes it feels like things are moving too fast but it also keeps things interesting and provides a lot of learning and development opportunities for those looking to grow.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the values that got the company where it is are maintained as the company grows. Do not morph into a smaller version of the "Big Three".

9. Not As Good As It Seems

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to be a great company to start with right after college to get your foot in the door.

Used to be a company with integrity and morals.

Used to be a company that cared about you as a person and not just the bottom line.

Cons

I had a hard time coming up with any pros as you can see because I truly feel this company continues to change for the worse.

The environment is very high school like. Where managers play favorites and whoever is the favorite will get the most opportunities handed to them. Not based on work ethic, dedication or knowledge.

The employee base used to care about their jobs and what they do. Now they hire anyone who wants a job and will accept the position. Even if they aren't a good employee.

They allow certain people to be dishonest to get what they want. They allow certain people to bend the rules and get away with it. Others are punished because management doesn't like them. So they find minimal things wrong with the people they don't like.

Upper management says what you want to hear to feel good about the company and act like they care. They don't. They just say what you need to hear with no follow through. If there is follow through it takes years. They make promises over and over again.

If you are a person that wants to strive and grow with your career this is not the place for you. They will hold you down so you can do all the work while they take all the credit.

Advice to Management

Stop managing based on favorites. Manage in a professional way and maybe your staff will follow in your foot steps. You have to lead by example and be present to get the results you are looking for.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Middle and upper management stink there. They do not know how to manage or what they are doing.

Cons

Middle management kisses up to upper management and does not know how to manage. They put high school graduates who are uneducated to manage there. The middle management is very prejudiced, biased and uneducated. Horrible place to work. Do not recommend anyone to work there. They let people with lots of experience and knowledge to keep low end people there.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know what all of your employees do instead of listening to idiot middle nanagement who do not know head or tail of what they are doing.

Bad evil inconsiderate and extremely dishonest company

Current Employee - Business Warehouse Developer in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Business Warehouse Developer in Springfield, IL

I have been working at H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hardly any; on top of that Springfield as a city has flights only from Chicago and Dallas; so if you come from anywhere say ABC location, you either come to Chicago or Dallas.. but immaterial of inconveniences this company itself is bad. Long working hours, promotes boot licking and inhuman behavior towards your reportee.

Cons

Promotion only if you bootlick, If these people are leaders they can only be compared to Nazis. The HR is tasked to post false favorable views about the company.

Advice to Management

I understand its out of your budget to be humans so GTH

RSS Feed </> Embed