H E B

H E B Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt

Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, managers are generally nice, great work environment(in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • as with all retail jobs, there is poor work-life balance, chaotic scheduling(in 16 reviews)

• Can become full-time as positions open up, or as department budget constraints allow(in 18 reviews)

Good first job

Bagger (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEasy to pick up more hours from other employee's.

ConsNot job but forced "asked" to work sometimes entire shifts in parking lot.

Cool Company To Work For

Deli Lead (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBig on work life balance. Not hard to get time off when needed. They are also big on attendance and lateness. Store and department management is very approachable. Excellent benefits. Plenty of room for advancement. Firm believers in promoting from within.

ConsTurn around and come backs, the pay is not great and management can be demanding

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. It really makes a difference.

Employee oriented company that tries really hard to balance work and home life in spite of being a retail company.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBenefits, flexible schedule, 401K, very focused on internal company growth. Most upper management truly believes in the company and its Partners. You meet a lot of amazing people in the store or because they're customers.

ConsThe stores are open every holiday except Easter and Christmas so you will be working a lot of holidays.
    Depending on the store you work at, some managers are wonderful and some are real back stabbers. There is also a lot of drama.

Some customers can be very difficult and extremely unrealistic but that is the nature of retail sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say something to one person, say it to everyone. Stop trying to sugar coat or change your message. People appreciate honesty and frankness over feeling like they're being lied to.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where people matter..

HEB Cashier (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsGood pay, weekly checks, and awesome environment to be in.

ConsManagers could be a bit strict sometimes.

A great place to work.

ProsHEB has excellent leadership and growth opportunity. The culture is very worker friendly and they always strive to do the right thing.

ConsThe culture is very inconsistent especially when dealing with stores in the outer regions outside the metro areas. These stores in the outlying areas seem to have taken on their own unique cultures.

Good company to work for

Shelf Edge Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood hourly rate for retail, especially compared to other grocery stores
    Partner discount/ perks card which gets partners a 10% discount on own brand items, free items, and also discounts at cell companies, some hotel chains, car rentals companies, etc

ConsAs with any job, how much you enjoy the time you spend at work depends on who you work with. Management for the most part are very open to questions and concerns, but there are some managers that play favorites which makes things awkward for other staff.
    Difficult to get full time positions
    It is retail - so expect to work weekends, nights/early mornings, and holidays.
    Some customers can be extremely rude if a product they want is not in stock

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement really needs to listen to the ideas and suggestions made by staff at the store level. We are the ones that are working the departments day in day out. It seems that sometimes procedures are implemented by corporate that may seem like a good idea on paper, but don't always work so well in practice.

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was a great place to work throughout school.
    flexibility with schedule, competitive benefits, talent development programs with in company.

ConsWillingness to relocate/rotate locations within region a must for promotion. pay can be competitive if hired externally.
    depending on role/department, can be very labor intensive. work most holidays.

It could be worse

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Spring, TX

ProsThe company is interested in keeping employees long-term
    Promote frequently
    Clearly state expectations
    Flexible work schedule

ConsThe frequent promotions often means teenage managers on a power trip

Advice to Senior ManagementPromoting is great, but maybe don't put people in a position of leadership until they have more experience

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsThe company is growing fast and has found it's niche in the Central and Southern regions of Texas. HEB us a great place to work and offers a positive work experience with pros including: flexible hours, a great work environment, benefits, a great company culture, career development and opportunities and much more. All in all the company has a very positive culture that contributes to the satisfaction of employees and customers. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a great place to work.

ConsThere is very little downside to working for this company. One con that comes to mind would be the rare encounters with aggravated customers that is standard with an customer-facing position. Another con may include the stress of meeting the companies metrics such as items per minute, items per bag and survey scores from customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a great job!

It's been awesome. I love it.

Bookkeeper (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI love the culture of this organization. Because people matter. The benefits are amazing and the pay is pretty good. Also, career advancement is a big focus for this company. They worked well with me when I was in school.

ConsIt would be awesome if the employee discount worked on all items in the store. However, it's not a big deal because the store brand products that it does work on are just as good as the name brand items.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing partners and encouraging growth.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!