H E B

H E B Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt

Charles C. Butt

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, managers are generally nice, great work environment"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "as with all retail jobs, there is poor work-life balance, chaotic scheduling"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Can become full-time as positions open up, or as department budget constraints allow"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Job during College

Seafood Partner (Former Employee)
    College Station, TX

ProsI worked in the seafood department during college and found it to be very rewarding. The pay was $9/hr and the schedule was flexible to fit my college schedule. First interviews are done as a group and then you are given one on one interviews with department managers as you rise through the process. There is always work to be done and you will get scolded if you can't find something to do, but the managers are fair.

ConsUpper management can be fussy at times and when I worked in seafood I was always helping out with meat market since they fell behind often even though it was not part of my job. And you are the one employee every customer comes to and asks where everything in the store is.

Nice place to work.

Parking Lot Attendant (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsRelatively good pay for the experience you have. Upper management is supper supportive. Not to mention that lunches are generally free!

ConsBecause lunches, cakes, etc. are free, you really have to be careful of what you eat. Otherwise you will not look employable to anybody (maybe this is the plan?). There are some political maneuverings that you have to do. However, politics exist if more than one person is in the room.

My HEB experience

Gas Kiosk Attendant, Cashier, Day Maint, (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsClose to home, Great employee discount program, Clean store, Friendly people, good return policy, the training practices are adequate and comprehensive.

ConsPoor scheduling, Poor Management practices, low pay, unaffordable insurance, Way to much micro Managing, Quite often only have six hours in between shifts, Management plays favorites, Management is strictly do as I say not as I do, Over hiring of employee's so there are just not enough hours to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire so many people that you loose good people from lack of hours,Make sure employee's have have at least 8 hours in between shift's so that they can actually sleep in between them Keep a closer eye on store management especially those in out lying stores and hold them accountable, But most of all Stress to Store Management to lead by example, (IE. don't walk by a mess and not be involved in cleaning it up more than to just tell somebody else to do it, When depts get busy be the first one to offer help, Make an effort to actually work with your employee's and learn what is actually expected of them) Remember when scheduling that employee's are human don't bounce them around like ping pong balls. This company has the potential to be great but it is beginning to go the way of most retail chains and as it get's bigger it seems to care less and less about it's employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Business Center/Cashier (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe benefits are great. It's a great company to advance in.

ConsThe people that work there. Management is shady.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck your managers at all stores. There is some shady things going on

Mixed bag

Central Checkout Manager (Former Employee)

Prospretty competitive pay, good benefits even for part time

Consfavoritism is RAMPANT, especially in management

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many in Customer Service leadership roles that need to be removed or sent back to training. Favoritism and unequal treatment of your leaders leads to a lot of talented people leaving your company. It shouldn't be all about WHO you know, but WHAT you know and WHAT you can do.

Its retail

HEB Cashier (Former Employee)
    Sugar Land, TX

Prosthe pay is good, i worked at the number one store in the company, Super nice co-workers, Typically nice customers, Flexible hours, Great over all company

ConsManagers typically arent the best, Not much room for growth, Over promise and under deliver

Good company with some flaws

ProsI have been working in the grocery industry for nearly 9 years for various retailers. And I have to say I wish I would've started with them a long time ago. Overall all of the management from my direct supervisor all the way to the top manager (Unit director) are all really nice people and they enjoy interacting with everyone.

This company actually wants and encourages you to grow by offering numerous programs that you can attend that will help guide you through the company.

Pay is top-notch for a grocery chain when I came to work for them about a year ago they took into consideration all of my previous experience and offered me more than I was making at my previous employer as a manager.

ConsSpeaking about my manager only I would say the biggest drawback is communication. He tends to order excessive product and not inform myself or the guys who throw our truck and then when he comes in he is stunned that we didn't know what to do with all of the stuff that he ordered in. Also unless it's a Wednesday you rarely see him actually on the sales floor doing any work, unless myself or our one other day-time person run backstock it never gets done.

Another downside is it takes a year and a set amount of hours to get benefits which didn't affect me due to the fact that I was able to get promoted to full-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on ensuring that management actually communicates important information about upcoming promotions as well as reconsider how long it takes to get benefits.

Flexible with my school schedule, great coworkers and managers.

Cashier/Checker (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsThey give me as many hours I want around my school schedule. I can request to take days off during exam weeks and pick up extra available shifts when I want more work. The coworkers are all really friendly and the management is the best I've ever had at any company. They really care about their employees.

ConsSometimes customers are rude or grumpy and take it out on the cashiers. It can be challenging to have a customer scream at you for putting tomatoes with their bananas and then you have to immediately be cheerful and friendly to the next customer in line. It is something that takes adjusting to, but is manageable and if you don't let the grouchy customers get to you, you'll be fine. Managers are always there to help with the super unreasonable customers also, so you don't feel alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being great and taking care of your partners. A happy team works best!

Good place to work for a teenager

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, managers are generally nice, great work environment.

ConsNot much as a cashier, bagger. Obviously standing on your feet for 8 hours is not ideal.

Fairly excellent

Beer/Wines Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsHuge selection of Beer/Wine, very fast paced and the company provides education in the departments that each employee works

Consthe starting salaries varied a lot, I would recommend staunch negotiations, they will try to get you to settle for a lower wage even though they are willing to start out at a higher wage, I found out I was hired for $ 3.00 less than another employee, and I had more experience in the department

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management at our store acted too superior, and above the associates, our department manager was excellent, he believed he shouldn't ask an employee to do a job, he himself wouldn't do, and he always jumped in to help if needed, upper management did not.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H E B reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for H E B CEO Charles C. Butt. All 445 reviews posted anonymously by H E B employees.