H E B Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
3.9
1,000 Reviews

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt
Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; department heads work with your school schedule (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Random schedules make it hard to have a work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• I was hired as a part time employee but always get full time hours (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Bagger at H E B, makes a great first job

Former Employee - Bagger in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Bagger in San Antonio, TX

I worked at H E B as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easiest work on earth, does not take long to learn the system, no prior work experience needed. If the store is not busy then the workplace environment is laid back.

Cons

Working as a bagger at H E B is the easiest work around which can make work dull and boring.The bagger position is at the bottom of the hierarchy in H E B's employment force.

Continue to be encouraging toward staff. Jump in the grocer line to help with customers if traffic is causing line congestion.

It was pretty ok.

Former Employee - Showtime Partner in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Showtime Partner in College Station, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do their best to treat you right.

Cons

Not flexible when it comes to shifts and time management.

NA

Not what I expected.

Current Employee - Produce Supervisor
    Current Employee - Produce Supervisor

I have been working at H E B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is competitive and the raises are good.
    For the most part my coworkers are friendly.
    The 20% discount is a plus, also there's employee discounts through cell phone providers, theme parks, hotels, rental cars, gym memberships, etc.
    Employee appreciation week is pretty cool!
    The scheduling is fairly flexible.
    Once a month bonuses for all employees are neat!

Cons

There is a good amount of favoritism, it has a much stronger pull on promotions than work ethic does.
    There's an annual employee survey that asks what employees like about their jobs and what they don't like, the store I work at had over 60% of the employees say they were generally unhappy with their jobs and gave specific issues/frustrations but nothing has been done (over 6 months ago) to resolve these concerns.
    Leadership is constantly focused on things that aren't getting done yet never recognizes the things that are getting done.
    As Whole Foods gets bigger they're constantly looking at ways to cut ANY dollar they can, the labor budgets have decreased drastically which in turn leads to unfair work loads, a constant sense of panic, and team morale drastically declining.
    Fear based leadership and constant micro managing.
    Employee accountability is non existent.

Listen to your employees we're the ones working so you can keep your job, if you would take the time to resolve employee frustrations the morale of the store would go up along with productivity AND sales. Treat employees with respect, talking down to people and constant finger pointing is only going to get you backlash. Team member HAPPINESS and excellence is one of your core values, prove it. Treat employees equally and fairly, with labor budgets being as tight as they are every person on the team has to carry their own weight or it falls on someone else, hold employees accountable that aren't pulling their weight all they're doing is sponging off of the gain sharing that the employees that DO work should be getting.

After working at HEB for a year and a half, I can honestly say HEB is a quality company.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at H E B part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unlike many large companies HEB offers fairly competitive pay; cashiers start off at $9/hour with pay raises up to $.50/hour, dependent on your performance every 6 months. Charles Butt is an excellent man to work for!

Cons

Honestly, working as a cashier at HEB does not come with many Cons. Yeah, occasionally you get 'that customer' who is having a bad day but I don't let it bother me. My advice to anyone looking to apply as a checker (cashier), or CSA (bagger), is make sure you can come into work everyday with a good attitude because your customers will respond accordingly. Personally I have my regulars that I have built relationships with that will wait in my line even though other registers have no wait, which can mean more work for me but those customer are always in a good mood and are always welcome in my line.

Depending on store leadership promotions may be based on popularity instead of merit. I take my work very seriously but I almost quit when a young employee (<20yrs old) who should have been fired was promoted into a management position over me. My customer service stats are the highest in my store but she was promoted because of her connections with my store director.

Love my job!

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Flexible with scheduling

Cons

Lazy co workers. Management favors certain employees

Pick better people for positions. Stop hiring lazy people!

Easy job for what you make.

I have been working at H E B

Pros

Great pay. Awesome co-workers and managers.

Cons

There were some bad co-workers that didn't work, but due to HEB's policy it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to let them go.

Don't play favorites, and give out fair raises.

Easy and good co-workers

I have been working at H E B

Pros

Very flexible scheduling around school. Great Pay and awesome co-workers

Cons

I haven't been there long enough to see if there are cons but so far I haven't seen any!

Keep it up

Great starter job

Current Employee - HEB Cashier in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - HEB Cashier in Humble, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (more than an year)

Pros

competitive pay, you can work many departments to gain tore knowledge

Cons

working on holidays, work life balance

Awesome workplace

Former Employee - Checker in Kyle, TX
    Former Employee - Checker in Kyle, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome partners and managers, closes to home, advancement opportunities.

Cons

No stable shifts, and part-time

It was a fun, busy grocery store.

Current Employee - Showtime Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Showtime Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

HEB is a growing company with many friendly staff and people of all backgrounds engaged in diligent efforts. The products make it a good store, the down-home atmosphere makes it a hospitable environment.

Cons

Do not connect to HEB on facebook. It is only used to fuel managerial gossip and provides no networking benefit to you.

Be more compassionate talking to people who buy less when they have complaints. When you give customers lemons they are not going to make lemonade. They are going to complain about the quality of the lemons.