H E B
www.heb.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

H E B Reviews

Updated Nov 10, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Flexible Schedule, Partner Savings Card"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Great benefits and continues to give pay raises in tough economical times"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is sometimes lost being apart of a great organization like HEB"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Some days you will work very long hours simply standing"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was pretty ok.

Showtime Partner (Former Employee)
College Station, TX

I worked at H E B part-time for more than a year

ProsThey do their best to treat you right.

ConsNot flexible when it comes to shifts and time management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Bagger at H E B, makes a great first job

Bagger (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at H E B as a contractor for less than a year

ProsEasiest work on earth, does not take long to learn the system, no prior work experience needed. If the store is not busy then the workplace environment is laid back.

ConsWorking as a bagger at H E B is the easiest work around which can make work dull and boring.The bagger position is at the bottom of the hierarchy in H E B's employment force.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be encouraging toward staff. Jump in the grocer line to help with customers if traffic is causing line congestion.

After working at HEB for a year and a half, I can honestly say HEB is a quality company.

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at H E B part-time for more than a year

ProsUnlike many large companies HEB offers fairly competitive pay; cashiers start off at $9/hour with pay raises up to $.50/hour, dependent on your performance every 6 months. Charles Butt is an excellent man to work for!

ConsHonestly, working as a cashier at HEB does not come with many Cons. Yeah, occasionally you get 'that customer' who is having a bad day but I don't let it bother me. My advice to anyone looking to apply as a checker (cashier), or CSA (bagger), is make sure you can come into work everyday with a good attitude because your customers will respond accordingly. Personally I have my regulars that I have built relationships with that will wait in my line even though other registers have no wait, which can mean more work for me but those customer are always in a good mood and are always welcome in my line.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepending on store leadership promotions may be based on popularity instead of merit. I take my work very seriously but I almost quit when a young employee (<20yrs old) who should have been fired was promoted into a management position over me. My customer service stats are the highest in my store but she was promoted because of her connections with my store director.

Love my job!

Deli Associate (Current Employee)
Kingwood, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Flexible with scheduling

ConsLazy co workers. Management favors certain employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPick better people for positions. Stop hiring lazy people!

Easy job for what you make.

I have been working at H E B

ProsGreat pay. Awesome co-workers and managers.

ConsThere were some bad co-workers that didn't work, but due to HEB's policy it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to let them go.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites, and give out fair raises.

Great starter job

HEB Cashier (Current Employee)
Humble, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time for more than a year

Proscompetitive pay, you can work many departments to gain tore knowledge

Consworking on holidays, work life balance

Not what I expected.

Produce Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at H E B full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is competitive and the raises are good.
For the most part my coworkers are friendly.
The 20% discount is a plus, also there's employee discounts through cell phone providers, theme parks, hotels, rental cars, gym memberships, etc.
Employee appreciation week is pretty cool!
The scheduling is fairly flexible.
Once a month bonuses for all employees are neat!

ConsThere is a good amount of favoritism, it has a much stronger pull on promotions than work ethic does.
There's an annual employee survey that asks what employees like about their jobs and what they don't like, the store I work at had over 60% of the employees say they were generally unhappy with their jobs and gave specific issues/frustrations but nothing has been done (over 6 months ago) to resolve these concerns.
Leadership is constantly focused on things that aren't getting done yet never recognizes the things that are getting done.
As Whole Foods gets bigger they're constantly looking at ways to cut ANY dollar they can, the labor budgets have decreased drastically which in turn leads to unfair work loads, a constant sense of panic, and team morale drastically declining.
Fear based leadership and constant micro managing.
Employee accountability is non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees we're the ones working so you can keep your job, if you would take the time to resolve employee frustrations the morale of the store would go up along with productivity AND sales. Treat employees with respect, talking down to people and constant finger pointing is only going to get you backlash. Team member HAPPINESS and excellence is one of your core values, prove it. Treat employees equally and fairly, with labor budgets being as tight as they are every person on the team has to carry their own weight or it falls on someone else, hold employees accountable that aren't pulling their weight all they're doing is sponging off of the gain sharing that the employees that DO work should be getting.

Two stars because I loved the customers! Other than that NOT satisfied.

Checker (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at H E B part-time for less than a year

ProsGood hourly pay. If you love meeting and talking to people then you'll enjoy working. They work with your schedule.

ConsSome of the asm's think they own the store and you are pretty much stuck with them if you work in the front end.
Cashiers/Baggers have to pick up trash, sweep, clean etc. Why do they have maintenance? Just for restrooms?

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose people in charge wisely. I think employees should feel comfortable working and therefore HEB does NOT need certain PEOPLE who will NOT treat employees with respect.

Easy and good co-workers

I have been working at H E B

ProsVery flexible scheduling around school. Great Pay and awesome co-workers

ConsI haven't been there long enough to see if there are cons but so far I haven't seen any!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Awesome workplace

Checker (Former Employee)
Kyle, TX

I worked at H E B part-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome partners and managers, closes to home, advancement opportunities.

ConsNo stable shifts, and part-time

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H E B reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for H E B CEO Charles C. Butt. All 102 reviews posted anonymously by H E B employees.