H E B

Updated January 22, 2015
4.1

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt
Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; department heads work with your school schedule (in 56 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Random schedules make it hard to have a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I was hired as a part time employee but always get full time hours (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at H E B

Pros

the benefits, the pay and the partner share is great coworkers are awesome too!

Cons

the store director was horrible. total micro manager that thought he was to good to help in anything because he was a general manager

Good Company

Former Employee - Cashier in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in College Station, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Take care of their employees. Provide flexible schedule and competitive hourly pay.

Cons

there were really no cons

Valued student employee

Current Employee - HEB Cashier in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - HEB Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at HEB over the summer after high school as a cashier and really loved it as a first part-time job. Since I'm away at college, they let me keep my job and just come in to work a handful of times a year while I visit my parents. I have always felt valued as an employee at HEB. The pay is decent for an entry-level Texas job. The customer service department is extremely well organized which is nice. The 10% discount on HEB items is great. So are the weekly free things. The uniform is flexible enough and allows jeans. They have online scheduling requests and shift postings. Breaks are regular and always given.

Cons

It's physical labor and can be very exhausting. They structure raises to miss college students. Cashiering and bagging tears up your hands. There are frequently gross meat leaks that you don't have time to clean up. It's extremely fast paced and easy to get behind. You can't really choose how many hours a week you work. You get notified of your schedule for the week on Friday (3 days notice).

Get students in on the raises. Most importantly, focus on the environment and make being environmentally friendly a priority. Recycle. Use less packaging. Focus on eco-bagging to use fewer bags and push reusable bags.
    If you're going to label vegan/vegetarian, make it consistent.
    Eliminate GMOs from your products.
    Expand your natural section beyond supplements.

store director

I have been working at H E B

Pros

great working environment to grow

Cons

work life balance more consistency

it's a fun and friendly place to work. you meet new people all the time

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Rio Grande City, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Rio Grande City, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, many employees to interact with, flexible schedules.

Cons

sometimes you don't get enough hours

keep up the awesome work

Best Place To Work

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Company Growth
    - Positive Environment
    - Benefits

Cons

It is next to impossible to move up into higher leadership without a degree. I really wish that such an innovated company would still list a college degree as a preferred qualification to move up in the company.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Fun

I worked at H E B

Pros

Good products, selection, prices , good people

Cons

Big store not all too much cons

Non

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible schedules and hours, friendly staff and management.

Cons

Sometimes can be very busy.

Incredible first job.

Former Employee - Checker in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Checker in Killeen, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Can be very fun if you have a positive attitude and enjoy talking with customers and co-workers
    -Depending on management encountered, can be very flexible with other commitments/situations
    -Training is done well and if you ask questions and pay attention, you'll get the hang of things quickly

Overall, this was my first job and it was great. I would still be working there right now if I didn't relocate to a new area that HEB does not operate in. Many days were enjoyable and fun and my co-workers and supervisors made it even better. The culture of my store was fairly laid-back except during peak hours and busy days. Everyone understood that was the time to get down to business and work to make sure our customers got what they wanted and were satisfied throughout. Outside of the regular job, HEB had many events that you could volunteer for and they were great from what I personally experienced and what I heard from others. If anyone is considering them, I would say go for it and see how it works out for you.

Cons

-Can be stressful during busy days (pay day, major holiday, special events)
    -Some customers are not in the best of moods and can slow down your workflow

Most of my time spent working at HEB, I had a great time. Any bad experiences were not due to my co-workers or supervisors, but due to customers that did not have much patience or understanding of the situation. However, co-workers and supervisors quickly came for support in those cases once I realized I needed it and the customer was taken care of.

Keep hiring and promoting managers that take care of their employees. Every manager I had was flexible with me when situations arose and willing to work with me when I needed help meeting and exceeding standards. This definitely put me at ease and allowed me to focus on doing my job to the best of my ability.

This company is really great

I have been working at H E B

Pros

This company has excellent opportunities. They serve the best and freshest food of any grocer around. The career advancement is really good to go from low level to management job. Great place to work.

Cons

Sometime the hours can be a bit challenging. When I started out I had to work early Saturday's, but that is understandable because they have to run on the weekend. Sometimes I wish we had longer breaks

Consider longer breaks