H E B

Updated January 27, 2015
4.1

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt
Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; department heads work with your school schedule (in 56 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Random schedules make it hard to have a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I was hired as a part time employee but always get full time hours (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Starter job

I have been working at H E B

Pros

Good for a kid trying to make a buck

Cons

Pay is not that great

The produce isn't really greener.

I worked at H E B

Pros

Good pay & pays weekly.

Cons

No work-life balance. Working retail with no time off the first year? No wonder the cashiers are crabby! The pay is great if you happen to be in corporate, but forget it if you are at the store. If everyone knew what some of these people get paid, there would be outrage because of the stores low wages, not to mention the prices of food in their stores! HEB is a monopoly here in Texas and it's too bad the people don't see it for what it really is.

Get better work-life balance. Appreciate your every day hard workers in the stores on the front lines. You over pay people that have no clue what the consumer really wants. Your prices are ridiculous and it's a shame you gouge the eyes of your customers while touting you are for the people. What a load of BS. Get rid of your zone pricing, the price one pays in the Southside should be the same one pays anywhere else! Please don't claim it's the price of gas, I've seen cheaper prices in Lytle than in certain areas in San Antonio! Oh and hire a new porfolio manager your retirement investments stink!

Worked there for 8-9 years in various areas~

I worked at H E B (more than 8 years)

Pros

decent starting wage when I started~ lots of cheerleader types promising great things if you work hard~

Cons

poor wage increases~ others make things up about you to get you in trouble~ lot's of jealousy in the store~ if you start getting bad reviews they stick with you~ you can't work your way out of the hole especially when others lie about you and management does not have the sense to back you~ poor managers for the most part~ I had only one who I considered a great manager during my tenure there~ three or four others were just okay~ the rest ended up as poor

I had only one great manager in my 8-9 years at HEB~ the rest were average to poor~ I would give his name but I'm afraid the others would destroy him~ but thank you David!~ I won't give your last name~

Enjoyed working with people from various cultures, upper management very inexperienced and don't embody all competencies

Former Employee - Quality Initiatives in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Initiatives in San Antonio, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, partner perks card was awesome for cheaper groceries. Quarterly bonus for salaried partners was good.

Cons

Manufacturing quality assurance doesn't pay anywhere near industry average. Titles are not correct either for level of work required, Team Leader instead of Manager.

Give managers walking papers that continue to have Partners leave the company. HEB recognizes 3 core competencies, Heart For People, Passion For Results and Head for Business. Heart For People isn't displayed well by several leaders in manufacturing.

Messed up background check.

I have been working at H E B part-time

Pros

Good products; lots of locations

Cons

The offered me a job, then pulled info on wrong person for background check, which came back with issues. HEB admitted they made a mistake, said I'm re-hirable, but have to wait 90 days. What do they think i'm going to do, sit around and eat bon-bons for three months? Does not sound like a place for career advancement to me.

BAD

I worked at H E B full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very very few not worth mentioning, unless you are a really good office politician.

Cons

If you like the office politics environment, this is the place to apply.

Learn to be good managers, do away with the office politics, and live the Bold Promise. Posting it on the wall isn't enough.

Team Leader

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at H E B full-time

Pros

Four day work week start or end on Wednesday.

Cons

Shift Work that takes the employee away from their families.

Close Sundays so employees can be with their families.

My HEB experience

Current Employee - Gas Kiosk Attendant, Cashier, Day Maint, in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Gas Kiosk Attendant, Cashier, Day Maint, in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close to home, Great employee discount program, Clean store, Friendly people, good return policy, the training practices are adequate and comprehensive.

Cons

Poor scheduling, Poor Management practices, low pay, unaffordable insurance, Way to much micro Managing, Quite often only have six hours in between shifts, Management plays favorites, Management is strictly do as I say not as I do, Over hiring of employee's so there are just not enough hours to go around.

Don't hire so many people that you loose good people from lack of hours,Make sure employee's have have at least 8 hours in between shift's so that they can actually sleep in between them Keep a closer eye on store management especially those in out lying stores and hold them accountable, But most of all Stress to Store Management to lead by example, (IE. don't walk by a mess and not be involved in cleaning it up more than to just tell somebody else to do it, When depts get busy be the first one to offer help, Make an effort to actually work with your employee's and learn what is actually expected of them) Remember when scheduling that employee's are human don't bounce them around like ping pong balls. This company has the potential to be great but it is beginning to go the way of most retail chains and as it get's bigger it seems to care less and less about it's employees.

not very employee friendly or flexible

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (less than a year)

Pros

buys local products and that helps economy

Cons

doesnt think of employees familys

Shitty company.

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As far as flexibility goes they work with you. Decent pay for starting out.

Cons

Shitty management that does not care about you. You are nothing but a number to them.

San Marcos management is trash.