H E B Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

4.0

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt
Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, managers are generally nice, great work environment (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • as with all retail jobs, there is poor work-life balance, chaotic scheduling (in 16 reviews)

• Can become full-time as positions open up, or as department budget constraints allow (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic community and partner oriented company to work for. Benefits are top notch. Absolutely no complaints or regrets.

Cons

Zero. No regrets. No complaints. I just wish that my first 20 years in the workforce were as fantastic as the last 2 here.

A tremendous amount of recognition is given to hourly partners with little to nothing to mid-range exempt partners. A little more recognition would go a long way.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary and benefits are the best in San Antonio and most companies in Texas.

Cons

Do have some favoritism issue, like most companies.

good company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at H E B full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

probably one of the highest paying companies in the industry for upper management.

Cons

corporate can blind to the talent they have in their stores especially in the Central Market division. The longer you work for them, the less likely you will be promoted.

STOP going outside of your company and hiring for management. There is so much talent not to mention loyal partners working for you. Wake up and give these people an opportunity to show you what they can do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HEB is the best private corporation to work for, through their dedication to partners, benefits, and family based values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have an incredible 401k plan, THE BEST Benefits package, vacation time, they can help you do anything(save money, buy a car, buy a house, get healthy, too many to list!), and they help others like the wounded warriors, united way , and the local community. HEB makes you feel like family by treating you as a person and not a just an ID number, and that means job security.HEB policy for partners (employees) is in place so that a union is not needed, the partners are assured they will be respected, treated equally and fairly.

Cons

HEB policy can be a double edged sword through its difficulty in holding all partners accountable due to capacity allocations, how long they have worked for the company, and human resources. This creates an uneven work load to partners whom are healthy, part time, or just very hard working partners.

Human resources needs to work closer with store level managers and observations into their day to day tasks, partner relations, and balance of work/life.

Was a very good experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Virgin, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virgin, UT

I worked at H E B part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good benefits, leadership positions were always available. Salary could be increased at anytime.

Cons

Flexibility isn't the greatest. Felt that they were over hiring. You have to know the people at the top if you want a management position.

Hire less employees and reorganize the schedule.

Great company to gain customer service experience.

Current Employee - Central Checkout Specialist  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Central Checkout Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time for more than a year

Pros

They are very flexible with your schedule, especially during school. The jobs are not extremely rigorous and most things tat you do you will do everyday that you work. There isn't anything out of the ordinary thrown at you.

Cons

Although this is a great place to gain experience, their pay is not competitive with other companies. You start pretty low as a checker at $9.00 or even low as a Customer Service Assistant at $7.50.

Not so great

Current Employee - Perishables Representative  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Perishables Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part about this job was working with the customers and making them happy. I love referring a customer to new food trends and things to try. I love hearing their stories.

Cons

Basically everything else about working here sucks.
    Our department was always way understaffed. I was hired as a part time employee but always get full time hours. (Which could be seen as a pro, if you like working for this company)
    we got a lot of higher ups coming in and out of our department, not even acknowledging us unless we were doing something wrong.
    Managers expected us to bend over backwards for customers in unrealistic ways. If I had been closing, the store manager would bring customers over to me to sample products that weren't even part of my department.
    Poor scheduling. There are many times when I will work 8+ days in a row, while going to school. I always get in trouble for overtime but being a closer, I was not able to leave until my job was satisfactory to the store manager.
    Lack of communication. My department manager would tell me one thing and then the store manager would come and tell me to do something totally different.
    I once made a comment about how much I loved customers and my manager said "we hate customers, they're the worst". Why are you a manager then?
    Coworkers are lazy and unskilled. Though that is probably an issue no matter where one works.
    I currently have worked at two locations in totally different parts of the state and have these issues with both stores,

Hire management that actually cares about their employees as well as the customers. Quit playing favorites. Learn how to schedule.

Good as long as you don't mind games.

Former Employee - Showtime Representative
    Former Employee - Showtime Representative

I worked at H E B full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Different challenges every day. I enjoied woking Showtime and the bakery. Only until I wanted to move up was there trouble.

Cons

Management always plays games and is all about who you know. Should something be wrong the partner with tenure wins despite if they are at fault.

good company but it is retail.

I have been working at H E B

Pros

take care of there partners.

Cons

its still retail, and store management varies from horrible to decent

Bakery Hell

Former Employee - Bakery Closer
    Former Employee - Bakery Closer

I worked at H E B part-time

Pros

The pay was good and the job was until the manager I was hired on by moved and was replaced by an awful one.

Cons

Forced to work overtime cause only one person was closing the bakery at any given moment, then was yelled at for getting the overtime they told me to do. Cliquish and lots of poor management, little to no training given. Was injured and needed leave and was forced to resign because of it.

Follow your company values and listen to the people at the bottom, hire better managers.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!