H E B

Updated December 5, 2014
4.1

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt
Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; department heads work with your school schedule (in 56 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Random schedules make it hard to have a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I was hired as a part time employee but always get full time hours (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work at.

Current Employee - Perishables Assistant in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Perishables Assistant in Waco, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work at. great benefits.

Cons

None. Very good place to work at.

Keep up the good work

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Bagger in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Bagger in Waco, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management will work with you to create your own schedule, and you get to interact with many friendly people from many backgrounds

Cons

There were not any real cons to working here, except a compensation at minimum wage jobs for people at checkout who interact with customers and load their cars with groceries

Keep it up management! My boss was very friendly and easy to approach. The management cared about me as a worker and a person. Let this example guide all of your managers

Store Director

Former Employee - Store Director in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Store Director in Waco, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HEB is a great company to work for. Many employees stay with the company for over 20 years. The company offers great salaries and a great caring culture. The hours are not excessive and great work environment. The company also offers unmatched benefits!

Cons

The only con I can think of is that you have to work all the holidays pretty much. Some lengthy travel is required at times if not willing to relocate

I loved working at HEB and was sorry to leave due to health

Former Employee - Showtime Representative in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Showtime Representative in Waco, TX

I worked at H E B full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, fun atmosphere, Benefits were exceptional and I LOVED my job in Showtime!

Cons

standing for long hours, I had a new young manager that was clueless, but open to suggestion

Try to get out of the box and get creative with your management. Sometimes your more creative staff see you as drones.

Fast pace and driven work environment!

Former Employee - Checker in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Checker in Waco, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at HEB for alittle over a year and found it to be fast pace and hard work. Opportunity for advancement was there. Raises every 6 months.

Cons

Managers played favoritism and never seem to have time to deal with your issues or questions. They do write people up alot and it can be a very repetitive work environment.

Relate to your partners like you do with your customers. Try and be understanding without looking down on people.

Great job requiring no degree

Former Employee - HEB Cashier in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - HEB Cashier in Waco, TX

I worked at H E B part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a good pay scale and pay much better than similar stores (i.e. Walmart or Target). you receive respect from management as long as you perform your duties in a competent fashion. They allow a lot of schedule flexibility and employ a large number of student workers

Cons

It is not good for full-time work and the management tends to micromanage those that don't seem to be self-starters. As it is a Customer Service industry, you sometime shave to deal with unpleasant customers who see the uniform as a carte blanche to treat you as less than human.

Flexible, fun, treat you right!

Current Employee - Checker in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Checker in Waco, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very flexible, the pay is absolutely amazing - especially for college students. It is a fun work environment because it is mostly young people working in the Service department.

Cons

The company relies heavily on food stamp incomes, so after the 15th of the month, part timers get cut DRASTICALLY. I mean it's horrible... so many people who work at HEB often have two jobs because the end of the month - you get cut so bad like you don't even have a job.

I hate that HEB claims to have 'so much room to grow' but I keep getting the run around on why I haven't been promoted.

Great working experience. Very well run company

Current Employee - Cashier in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Waco, TX

I have been working at H E B part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at the company is friendly and helpful. All managers are truly interested in helping the employees learn and become better at their job. Paycheck every week. Above average pay for such a basic job.

Cons

None. Very enjoyable job. There isn't really anything I would change about the work environment or the way the store is run.

Be more proactive in approaching management candidates. I've been told by lower management that the upper level would love to have me in management training, but haven't been approached by any upper level partners.

Partner friendly

Current Employee - Department Manager in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Waco, TX

I have been working at H E B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent room for potential in careers within the company. They provide scholarships for workers who attend school with a focus on advancing in the company. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Not too many, except that if you want to keep something to yourself, you better not part your lips about it.

Reward the real workers within the company and scale back on the dead weight( workers who contribute little to nothing except gossip and snitching). That is all for now