H.G. Fenton Reviews

Updated April 28, 2014
Updated April 28, 2014
4.0

CEO

Values driven organization where everyone is highly appreciated for their contributions and ideas!

I have been working at H.G. Fenton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management and executives truly care about your professional success; they provide you with the right amount of guidance and support for you to reach your maximum potential.
    There is a lot of emphasis on making sure the employee has an outstanding experience throughout their employment with Fenton – this is very much a part of the culture. Here are a few examples:
    • On-going training – anything from supporting your formal education (ex: pursuing your bachelors or masters) to achieving industry/job related certifications (ex: RE License, CPA, etc.) to on-going self leadership training.
    • Growth opportunities - I personally have had 5 different roles within the last 7 years and I have seen many people follow a similar career path within their department or other areas of the business.
    • The fun aspect – There is always something fun happening! Bring your Child to Work Day, Bring Your Dog to Work Day, Halloween events and costume contests, March Madness competition, annual holiday event, softball and soccer teams, to name a few!
    • Competitive benefits - Fenton covers 90% of every employee’s medical benefit and 65% for their dependents; this has represented a huge savings on my paycheck! They have different medical, dental, and 1 vision plans, as well as a 401 (k) with company match, profit sharing, paid holidays, vacation and sick time. A few positions will receive a company sponsored iPhone, particularly on the residential side (Leasing Marketing Managers, Resident Managers, etc.) and management.
    • Innovation – Fenton supports and embraces all employees’ innovative ideas. In 2012-13, Fenton made $150,000 available to all employees for them implement innovative ideas that will make an impact in the customers’ experience. In 2013-14, the amount was increased to $300,000!
    • High performing teams - Every employee is highly competent, professional and has a passion for what they do. I have never seen this type of company culture with any of my former employers.

Cons

If you are looking for a “job” and not a career, this might not be the place for you.

Fenton has a very bright future; please continue to be transparent and share with employees our exciting future!

Innovative, Fast Paced and Full of Opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at H.G. Fenton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very values driven. Everyone knows and talks about the values. They are on everyone's review.

The culture is balanced with equal importance on the experience of customers and employees. It's a fun place to work and has a culture that makes it hard for people to even think about leaving once they start here.

Customer service is a high priority and is the point of difference in our brand. There are lots of training opportunities and the company encourages employees to take classes, go to seminars, and bring new ideas to our leaders to implement. There is even a website where anyone can post their idea and get money to help implement it.

Cons

Very fast paced and busy. There is not a day you will be bored, but there may be days you wish things moved just a little slower to catch your breath. Overall, it's rewarding.
    When results are not being met, pressure can be a little intense to get back on track. This is probably true of every company. Fenton is good about clarifying expectations so there isn't a lot of ambiguity if you are missing your goals.
    Workloads are high. It sometimes takes the company awhile to respond to needs for extra help or to stop adding more work without taking something else off. The good news is that eventually there is help.

Keep focussed on the employee experience and helping leaders communicate to their teams. Keep involving employees in the planning and encouraging and rewarding large and small ideas. Be mindful of workloads and help us understand how to tell you when it's really too high or give us support to figure out what we can do to help ourselves be spread less thin.

POOR EXPERIENCE

Current Employee - Leasing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at H.G. Fenton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively small company but has many opportunities for professional growth. They also claimed they have a rich value system as part of their company philosophy.

Cons

They indicated they were in urgent need of staff but provided poor follow-up on the post interview process. I had to email and leave multiple messages before I was contacted. I found this to be very rude and unprofessional.

View the whole picture of the interviewee and refrain from putting exclusive emphasis on their credit report for your hiring decision as you will undoubtedly miss out on some wonderful, hardworking employees.

H.G. Fenton Response

Apr 16, 2014Corporate Recruiter

We apologize that you weren’t satisfied with our interviewing process as we really do strive to be committed to our values and provide a preferred experience. As part of our post-offer process, we ... More

As a new college grad, HG Fenton Company offered me a great opportunity to enter the real estate industry.

Current Employee - Resident Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at H.G. Fenton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive initial and ongoing training. There are promotion opportunities and professional development. A HUGE list of employee benifits. HG Fenton highly values it's employees and recognizes hard work. I liked the fact that the hireing consists of many different factors and steps. When I was hired I really felt like I hit the jack pot!

Cons

Inflexable schedules and you work weekends if you first start as a Leasing Manager.

Develope options for employees to not work on the weekends, or have flexible schedules. 8-5, 10-7...