H.I.G. Capital

Updated September 7, 2014
2.7

H.I.G. Capital Co-Founder and Managing Partner Sami W. Mnaymneh
Sami W. Mnaymneh

Great place to learn how to invest

I worked at H.I.G. Capital full-time

Pros

The firm is value-oriented and makes a lot of money. They are smart, rigorous, and work hard to get the most out of every investment. They seek out difficult deals that others avoid. You can't help but learn from smart people here.

Cons

The culture is a little funky. Kind of closed off, problems are often not discussed openly. More transparency would help. Also, there should be a better employee feedback system, more clear advice to folks on how they can do better.

investment professional

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

the people are interesting and intelligent. There is a lot to cover and you get decent responsibility.

Cons

The hours can be long and if you don't like Miami, it might not be the right job.

You will work hard and get good experience but it might not be the fit forever

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

HIG is a large company, with a good capital base, so offers stability from a company perspective. It is very active, so if you work on the deal side, you'll get a lot of experience. It has multiple offices and some product complexity so if you work in the backoffice, you'll see a lot of work and can earn some responsibility (fund accounting, IT, etc).

Cons

Leadership in the back office is lacking. Executive management is focused on the front end business (deals) and the back office is a little unmanaged so fiefdoms have developed which at times does impact the front office. Top management is not focused on this.
    Career advancement can be limited - once in a function you can be pigeonholed, limiting at time vertical/horizontal movement. You're in the Miami market which is not the most professionally developed, so options can be limited and they know that.
    Recently there has been a lot of personnel turnover in some areas of the front and back office, creating a little burn and churn.

Focus on the back office and break up fiefdoms. All aspects could be improved, including accounting/finance, IT, HR/recruiting. A firm of HIG's size should be first class in all areas, so bring in new blood at the top.

Develop talent and try to find other roles for people at the firm who are good skill/culture fit. Sometimes people start out in the wrong role/team or fund and might be more successful elsewhere. More focus on career/talent development would improve the firm longer term.

Please do not consider working for H.I.G. Capital

Former Employee - Administrative Role in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Role in Miami, FL

I worked at H.I.G. Capital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for overtime - but only if approved first which is not easy to get

Cons

Where should I start? Lets begin with the fact that there is no HR department, you receive no support from upper management and the attrition rate for the front line employees must be at an all time high. They hire competent employees who promptly leave once they realize that they are in a dark and cancerous environment

After 3 years at HIG Capital all I can say is that unless you clean house with your 'so called' HR department there is no hope.

Good Firm with Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at H.I.G. Capital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a current employee in the Accounting Department in the Miami office--which has about 40 people. I've been here for over two years and I've had a great experience. All of the people I've worked directly with at H.I.G. are professional, kind, hardworking, friendly, and considerate. I have been given the opportunity to further my career development by expanding into new areas and all of the people I have worked directly for have taken a sincere interest in helping me further develop my career. I have learned an incredible amount and I enjoy being at work. H.I.G. is also a fantastic place to build a network.

My yearly reviews have been very positive, very fair and constructive in regard to opportunities for improvement. I was given a better title within one year of being at the firm.

My experience, at least in the accounting department, has been that they will work with you if you need a little flexibility here and there with your hours, but I know each department has their different needs.

If I were doing it all over, I would accept this position again in a heartbeat, even if faced with attractive offers elsewhere.

Cons

My raises have kept up with consumer price index increases, but have not exceeded them by very much.

There is no short-term disability insurance offered, even if the employee would like to fully cover the cost. I am not aware of any compelling reason for why this should not be offered.

There is also an opportunity to improve information management. Information needs to be more centralized. A lot of time and productivity is lost trying to get information or documents from this team or that team. It seems like that to address this properly it would need to "come from the top" to get every team and department on board.

I deducted one star from my overall rating for these three items above.

Growth has been fast, which is great, but changes necessary to keep pace can be slow to come--see my information management comment above.

Horrible Place to work

I have been working at H.I.G. Capital full-time

Pros

Amazing Insurance Benefits Package with only a small contribution made by employees.

Cons

There are departments that treat their employees like animals. This would be the Finance, Accounting & Payroll Departments. These people are forced to work in an absolutely awful environment and management runs it like a dictatorship. It's awful when employees have to ask a Manager if they are in a good mood for them to be able to address any issues they may be having. I have never seen anything like it in the days of my life. The treatment these people endure is inhumane and no one should be exposed to something like this. Everyone should know that this company has NO HR Department and therefore you are unable to voice your concerns or issues to anyone. This place pretty much does whatever they want and no one can say anything about it, they also don't care if you have a family or problems, the work always comes first even if you have to pick up a sick kid or have a family emergency. When you approach management regarding the issues they play coy and pretend to care about what you have to say, but talk down to you as if you were a 2 year old.

See above & make the necessary corrections.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

Work life balance is decent

Cons

Too opportunity to get promoted
    Poor senior management
    Poor communication
    Lower comp vs peers
    Focused on raising more money rather than investing

Run the firm professionally

Successful firm, poor culture

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

Name brand, very smart people

Cons

Hierarchical structure, not supportive environment

Great place to work, amazing work experience.

Former Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

H.I.G. completes many transactions during an year. At a junior level this is an excellent opportunity to get great work experience across a really broad range of companies and industries. The company is also quite hands on with portfolio companies, which means junior folk are able to work closely with the portfolio and see the operations of many businesses.
    A lot of very smart people and excellent managers who take care of their junior employees.

Cons

Miami is great if you are young and single but not that great otherwise, still quite a nice city though! The flip side of the number of deals H.I.G. does is that you will be busy. Obviously there are variations to this based on the general credit environment, the economy and the time of year but in general, it's a lot of work.

Recognize the role of the Principals who do an extraordinary job of mentoring junior folk so that they have more incentive do continue doing so.

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

Great people.
    Great company with a strong reputation.
    Opportuntiy to look at great deals.
    Great work/life balance as far as private equity is concerned.
    Great opportunity to build professional skills.

Cons

Feedback system is not optimal but is adequate to let people know how they are doing.
    The amount of work to be done is contigent upon the economy.

Does a great job effectively analyzing companies and maintaining discipline in investment decisions.
    Could offer more opportunities to interact with other sections of the firm.