H&M Reviews

787 reviews filtered by
3.6
H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M is very flexible and only really requires you to have your weekends open (in 68 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • You get bored of it when you've learned everything there is to know about H&M (in 62 reviews)

• Its retail, work life balance is okay, flexibility for vacation is quite good though (in 12 reviews)

1. Not bad

I worked at H&M

Pros

Not a bad company to work for. Great pay, benefits and an even better discount.

Cons

Their not worried about the employees and their personal business.

2. Department Supervisor

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at H&M full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Every store is different, but I've really enjoyed the team I work with: Friendly staff who go out of their way to assist customers even though it's easy to think you can just clean on the sales floor and let the customers be on their merry way.
    -Training has been very solid. My trainer and the store manager have been very focused on giving me the skills and knowledge I need and even more than that for when I transfer to my home store.
    -Hours can feel long for full-time staff (9 hours scheduled), but we are guaranteed an hour long break (unpaid) and an additional 15-minute break that's still paid.
    -The benefits are pretty much what really keeps a lot of the full-time staff at H&M. They have a great work/life balance with vacations days starting at 15 days and increases over time to around 5 weeks. On top of that you get wellness/sick days. If you need to request a day off, most likely you will get approved as long as you request three weeks ahead. You're paid well for working holidays, and you get paid even if you didn't work the holiday. Actually, if you work on a holiday, you're given a day off within the next 2 weeks after. Oh, and of course your birthday is considered a paid holiday you get off and the discount is great!
    -Insurance coverage is CIGNA and it's very well priced considering how much coverage you can get. You can also get life insurance, retirement plan, car and home insurance, pet insurance, and there's even medical insurance for PT workers.
    - Opportunities for internal promotion are actually real
    - Easy to transfer to other stores/locations within H&M. They're actually posted in the break office, so if you know you're moving, this is so handy! It also makes employees feel like they're wanted to stay within the company which boosts morale.

Cons

-The register system is a little outdated. We have to manually audit CC receipts and that's a tedious process that takes management away from helping out on the sales floor. (H&M has announced they're introducing new register systems that do away with this though)
    - Understaffed during obvious sales hours. For example, I work at a stand-alone H&M in DC and the weather is getting nicer. This automatically means more people will be passing by the store and shopping during lunch hours and after work hours. We should be using this knowledge to have more people working these hours so the registers and fitting rooms are covered and people can remain on the sales floor to boost sales numbers through customer service. Unfortunately this is linked to the company's tight payroll policy/budget.
    - Schedule can run you ragged. I've worked a closing shift until 11pm and had to be at work by 7am to open the next day. It doesn't happen often, but I wish they implemented a different scheduling strategy.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your staff. We're overwhelmed during peak hours because we're under-staffed. When this happens, we're pulling other management associates away from their projects (that usually need to be done ASAP) and pushing the whole store back in the schedule of execution. If we had the right amount of people working peak hours to work the register, fitting room, sales floor, and projects I think there would even be an increase in sales/money.
    - Implement a better scheduling system, especially for management. A weekly rotation would be awesome...Where each management associate would open for a week straight and then rotate to becoming a mid for a week, and then rotate again to become a closer for a week. It might help out with burn out. At the very least, it's exhausting being a closer and being expected to arrive the next day at 7am to open. Especially when not everyone is living within a 30-minute commute.

3. Visual merchandiser

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M

Pros

Lots of recognition, good pay, benefits, 4 weeks paid vacation, great teamwork.

Cons

Never enough coverage for such a big store. Unrealistic expectations. Unqualified individuals working as managers.

Advice to Management

The company needs be more generous and realistic with payroll hours. There is never enough coverage to maintain a visually appealing store with such a small amount of staff during business hours.

5. great place to work while in school

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at H&M part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do promote from within. Treat you like more than a number. Work around school schedule.

Cons

sometimes 5 hours a week...sometimes 25 hours a week (hours divided equally for the most part to each person) . Rarely more for part time employees. Pay is on the low side and a lot is expected of you.

Advice to Management

if you are only working your employees 5 hours a week something is wrong.

6. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at H&M part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff, very friendly, good employee discounts and pay well above minimum wage

Cons

Not enough open hours to be able to continue working here

Advice to Management

Be realistic when hiring employees about hour availability

FT SALES ADVISOR

Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Miami, FL

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company. Great employee benefits. Somewhat flexible hours. A company that focuses on growth. Great pay. Traveling. Easy store transfers.

I first started with the company in Washington D.C. and I got promoted into management. I had to step back down in order to continue school, which could be a con. I went to school in another state and the transfer was fairly easy. I'm in my 3rd year with the company and I just recently started to dislike it which I think is a good thing. It really depends on the management wether you're going to enjoy working for a particular store. H&M has such good benefits that it's hard to leave. You get insurance, vacations, holiday pay, your birthday is considered a holiday, and wellness. I take 2 vacations a year.

Cons

Management may or may not know how to do their job well. Can get overworked. Management can be inconsistent. You may have to do the work of two associates by yourself. Management is always changing do to growth or being incapable to run the store. CUSTOMERS! but that depends on your location. Some days I feel like walking out. Feel under appreciated sometimes. Co-workers call out a lot which means double the work for you. Since co-workers are calling out that means they are getting fired which results in no coverage on the floor. So, the floor can be left empty for hours and then when you do make it to the floor from bring stuck on register or on the fitting room, you're bombarded with a billion questions by customers.

Advice to Management

Follow the company values and always be innovative so we can continually have constant improvement. Having the same issues for an entire year is unacceptable.

8. store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and development in a diverse, environmentally concious company.

Cons

Culture is not for everyone; rapid expansion and constant change can be exhausting!

9. Visual Merchandiser

I have been working at H&M full-time

Pros

Daily challenges, allows creativity, great company to work for, fun environment

Cons

Favoritism is common within management

Advice to Management

Global overview and realistic perceptions of people will create a stronger team

Work experience

I have been working at H&M

Pros

Great values and benefits. Fun environment

Cons

Long hours. Tiring. Very fast past and can get overwelming at times if not enough staff.

Advice to Management

Better communication everyone on the same page

Strong morals and supportive of their entire team.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at H&M part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, benefits, paid time off.

Cons

Can be chaotic, but if you thrive in that environment this is the place to be. You will never be bored.

Advice to Management

More opportunities on the sales floor...not just cash wrap and fitting rooms.