H&M

Updated November 24, 2014
3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M is very flexible and only really requires you to have your weekends open (in 68 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • You get bored of it when you've learned everything there is to know about H&M (in 62 reviews)

• Its retail, work life balance is okay, flexibility for vacation is quite good though (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing

Current Employee - Department Supervisor
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This place is an amazing place to work, a great example of a company who really knows the importance of its employees and does everything they can to ensure the employees' happiness. Amazing starting pay and room for growth every month depending on the person.

Cons

fast pace so not the ideal place for someone who doesnt like to work

Challenging, but very rewarding.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, friendly co-workers, opportunity to grow in the company, sustainable company, and a great set of core values that drives business.

Cons

Training is non existent, there is no set level of organization past store level at all times it feels like we're flying by the seat of our pants. Unrealistic standards, and poor use of resources throughout the year, very, very, very poor planners. Always last munition everything from the top of the company.

It's fair if you are looking for a steady job with reasonable amount of cash for a college students.

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. People "Your in a melting pot, and you meet cool people.
    2. Discount "25% off"
    3. Flexible Schedule "At least in the store ion 18st 5th Avenue Store 098

Cons

1. Management sucks!
    2. DONT HIRE EXTERNAL FOR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS!

management needs to go back to college to learn about the ethics in the work place. Many of these managers believes because they hold a certain label they can bypass these work ethics.

P.S Upper Management don't hire externals if they don't have any previous management skills. I know plenty that are external, and let me tell you "that you are waisting your money investing in these bafoons. Seriously they don't know a damn thing they are doing!

Recommend: first hire within the company more than likely they are able to operate the store much better than those bafoons.

Great First Retail Job

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well, it's just the fact that I had the privilege of being hired to actually open a store. The people they hired along with me were friendly and willing to work as a team to achieve the same goal. The atmosphere is chill, and there's always something new coming tot he store that you can't wait to get your hands on.
    Also, growth within the company depends on how much you work for it. Don't expect promotions to come knocking on your door if you don't show initiative.

Cons

Very fast paced, tourist area stores are hit hard, better to be at least bilingual.
    Don't work here everyday that you're not at school, it won't work out well for you.

I only work on a certain floor, but managers and supervisors should try to be on the floor for a majority of their shifts. When you need one, you usually need to call for them on the walkie for them to come down.

I love this company!

Current Employee - Team Coach in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Coach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the wages are higher than most other retail companies, and the values that the company follows.

Cons

Fast paced can be hectic at times.

Don't play favorites.

Retail is Retail

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Understanding about school schedules and flexible with hours. Decent starting pay for people in school ($10.50). great team environment and always a lot of interesting people who are hired. training is efficient. great union who's ready to assist at all times.

Cons

time off policies: must ask a month and a half before you request off, managers tend to be biased in who they want to help move up, as in any retail job... customers can irritate you,you are asked to stay longer than your shift sometimes because of call outs and understaffing and closing hours are over what you are scheduled too usually, must have weekends available/open availability, very few managers who believe in you and want to push you in making the next step in an H&M career

H&M is a really great place to work for as far as retail goes!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at H&M part-time

Pros

The pay is pretty good ($10.10/h) starting out and there's a lot to do all the time. They're pretty flexible about needing to call off for emergencies as well.

Cons

Management differs immensely per store and, while they mostly promote from within the company, they expect a lot of time put in regardless of the quality of work that is done. Some sales associates are noticeably worse than others and still get more hours due to seniority but it's either not noticed by management or disregarded.

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Dallas, TX

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity to really show how creative you are and to promote you entrepreneur spirit

Cons

Your appreciation for the company will depend on your drive and the organization of the district team that you work under. District teams can be a make or break in choosing a career with H&M.

Have a detail action plan for your career and also a development plan for your staff. If you don't have that your employee turnover with be high. And you will also lose that bonus for maintaining a health turnover and securing a fully staffed store.

If fashion is something that you are into and you want to make a difference H&M is a good place to work

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

H&M treated me pretty well. we get christmas presents at the end of the year, and a few little benefits here and there. It's definitely a better store to work at in my experience working at other retail stores. Pays better than most retail store. There also very good company culture. There is a good opportunity to go up if you so choose.

Cons

(Mall of America). the work can be very stressful in depending on the type of customer that come to the store. you need to be able to deal with stress and be pretty fast to work here.

It's okay

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Tampa, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Tampa, KS

I worked at H&M as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company is okay. I dont have any much to say.

Cons

I dont have much to say.

No comment