H&M Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part (in 58 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • did not enjoy my environment overall and was very sad because I love H&M (in 53 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Phila, PA

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Given a lot of opportunity to grow within the company.

Cons

Too much is going on at one time which can be frustrating

Brands Customer Service Agent

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment
    Good discount
    A decent amount of hours

Cons

High work load for how much you are paid
    Not much motivation to excel/do more than the minimum requirements

Managers (team coaches) within the customer service center are immature and need to be trained on how to keep their personal life separate from their work life.

Very efficient workplace, pays great, everyday is different but manageable if you know what you're doing

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M part-time for less than a year

Pros

Really fun, friendly coworkers, 25% discount, good benefits

Cons

clocking in a minute late is still considered late so lateness is a serious thing! please be sure to be responsible and on time and try your best to come to work a little earlier (by like 5-10 minutes) so you have time to clock yourself without rushing, it can get stressful on weekends to close and clean the store so prepare for that

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast-paced and fun

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, lots of vacation time (you accrue more the longer you work there), awesome pay, always something different to do.

Cons

It's always really busy (at my store at least), customers are always messy.

Fast pace..fast growth company with many opportunities for promoting

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You create your future..values based feedback

Cons

So little time to develop people

Work life balance creates loyalty and trust

Ups and downs.

I have been working at H&M full-time

Pros

Great company culture, very open-minded but still professional. Bigger stores feel more like a family. Smaller stores are pretty blah. Pay is good especially when you are promoted, and they really push for employees to move up within the company.

Cons

Regular retail issues, unruly customers. Sometimes scheduling is off but nothing that can't be rectified once you're straight forward.

Great place to learn everything about retail.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time  in  Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Newark, DE

I worked at H&M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, fun atmosphere, alot of good things to learn, options for promotions, and always busy.

Cons

Too many responsibilites, almost acting as a manager, without the managers GREAT pay.

Fast pace and fun

I have been working at H&M full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and development opportunities

Cons

Work life balance and lack of hours to staff the store

Great for college, "Eh..." for a career

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at H&M part-time

Pros

H&M is a fast-paced trendy environment. It allows you to be who you are. The dress code is pretty lenient so you can really be comfortable at work. The discount is 25%. You get exposed to a wide variety of people since there is a concept for practically everybody. So you never know who you're going to meet while on the sales floor, whether it's a networking opportunity or a celebrity. (My store had quite a few celebrities stop by). I even got to meet the CEO of the company, Karl-Johan Persson, when he did a walkthrough of our store. They keep their employees informed with daily and seasonal staff meetings. There's food during meetings, gifts and parties during holidays, it's overall a feel-good company. As far as retail goes, they're one of the better paying companies. Upper management really makes good money. A great variety of music plays while you're working. On some special occasions they'd even get a DJ. Oh and obviously, the clothes! Especially when there's a designer collaboration.

Cons

The hours are long and busy. This can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Part-timers work a max of 32 hours. I worked there the entire I was in college and most of the time I would work 32 hours a week. You will be busy. Especially on weekends. Especially on holidays. ESPECIALLY on holiday weekends. The biggest con is that advancement in the company is HEAVILY based on FAVORITSM. It's all politics when it comes to promotions. The very high management tends to be people they sent from their stores in Sweden rather than training employees in the US from the bottom to the upper ranks. If you plan to dedicate your career to retail then go ahead and politic. If you do not plan to stay in retail it is not worth it. A lot of higher management does not understand employees who do not put H&M as their top priority. It feels as though in order to advance you must eat, sleep and breathe H&M.

They should be more receptive to feedback. They put "being straight-forward" in their values but constructive criticisms often go unheard. I can not stress enough how much the favoritism has to stop. It created tension within the company/store. Also, in the long-run it hurt the company/store because well-qualified employees were being overlooked for lesser candidates, causing the store to run inefficiently. Management should be more hands-on in order to understand what it takes to run the store from all angles. It was a running joke that the higher up the manager, the less you'd see them on the floor. This resulted in managers being completely out-of-touch. They would set unattainable goals and were not able to adjust their expectations or troubleshoot when problems arose.

One of the best clothing stores ever.

I worked at H&M

Pros

Great selection, seasonal trends, cheap prices

Cons

There's more selection for female

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!