H&M Reviews

Reset
3.6
H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • I think that working at H&m gives you room to grow (in 68 reviews)

• They have great benefits as well (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were a district manager at your company they would tell you you're only good enough to be a store manager at H&M (in 62 reviews)

• Work-life balance does not exist (in 12 reviews)

1,009 Employee Reviews

Great benefits if you don't mind crying yourself to sleep at night.

Current Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at H&M

Pros

H&M has great benefits, great salaries, and lots of opportunities.

Cons

Upper management can be very condescending and rude. There is no positive feedback whatsoever and expecations are consistently unclear. It's very difficult to be successful in this position unless you're a little crazy.

Advice to Management

They should definately work to create a more positive work environment. In the long run, H&M will do poorly if they are going to make great workers feel so badly about their jobs. It is not an easy place to work some days. Walk throughs have way too much emphasis and are good and bad based on the manager's mood that day. No useful feedback is ever given.

Going Nowhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at H&M

Pros

The pros are definitely a higher pay than most retailers are willing to pay, which includes an excellent benefits package.

Cons

Most of the other managers I met have been in their position for 5+ years. It's the same routine day in and day out. There is no room for creativity, opinions or outside experience.

Advice to Management

While the company has grown to an amazingly to reach so many different countries, it's important to reach out to these countries and continue to develop them. It feels like the only opportunities are in Sweden.

IF YOU WANT STRESS WORK @ H&M

Former Employee - Department Manager in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at H&M

Pros

Vacation and Sick Time but most of all what made me want to be there were the Customer's.

Cons

They don't give you enough time in the day to do everything they expect you to do...The District team changes all the time when you do have a good District Manager they take them away and Promote someone who shouldn't be a District manager.District Manager's talk down to you and don't treat you with respect.The District team also doesn't help you when you ask for help and set's you up to fail..They cut you hours and take away your management team so you can't succeed if you are friends with someone on the district team you will get promoted regardless if you are a good worker or not.The District Team never Tell's you that the store look's good only Tell's you that this isn't done or that's not done .They should go to the store's and roll their sleeves up and help out when needed they never come to the Phillipsburg store because it is to far away for them.Long hour's to much work that you can never get done and changes all time ....

Advice to Management

The right District Manager's you should have them practice the Values of H&M on the manager's and staff... it's all about RESPECT AND TEAMWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. She said,He said

Current Employee - Store Manager in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at H&M

Pros

Vacation time,Wellness days,Insurance that is the best thing right now working for H&M and that is sad :(

Cons

Everything with H&M is she said ,he said I feel it doesn't matter if you tell the truth because they don't belive what manager's have to say you anyway......They need to start listening to what to the little people and not the higher up look in the mirror for the truth..........

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to what your manager's have to say and how they feel.The Store manager's and Department Manager's are the key to to the company.Don't give the 13 thing's to do in a week and NO hour's to do it.You are running them on empty,there is to much stress with this company they need to go back to the way it use to be care about your manager's and listen to what they say...We have feeling's also..Use to Love my job what happen to the H&M I came to work at year's ago?????????????????????????????

6. H&M has probably been one of the worst retail job I have ever worked, I would not advise anyone to work for this company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at H&M

Pros

Met a lot of interesting people while working at H&M of San Francisco.

Cons

Management at H&M cares nothing about their associates. They are self centered and only care what benefits themselves.

Advice to Management

Care more for your employees so they will be willing to work hard for the company.

7. Awful!! Run and never look back!

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at H&M

Pros

the discount 25% gift cards you will gain lots of experience

Cons

I wish i had read some of the reviews before i signed up for this place. This is by far the worst job I have ever had in my life. and I love what I do but this is the worst run store I have ever come across. everything everyone is saying is true. They hire incompetent management with no people skills. They write you up and document every little thing you do wrong, and sometimes blatantly lie to cover their own ass. They couldn't pay me enough! and they don't. They are unprofessional and if they don't like you they will invent reasons to write you up and try to fire you. Even though due to the nature of the store if you work there you will always be working hard. but it will never be appreciated and anything negative that they can possibly point out will be pointed out. You will never get positive feed back.

Poor management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at H&M

Pros

The pay. That's it. But there's a catch.

Cons

This store is known for its great pay, compared to other stores. But the high turnover rate of the workers should raise a red flag, meaning that people would want to leave the store, regardless of the good pay. What it comes down to is poor management, if you can call "bullying" and "threatening" management.

Advice to Management

Why waste my breath?

9. Late hours, Low Pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Livingston, NJ

I worked at H&M

Pros

The team we got along real well Customers were great

Cons

Discounts Hours - Season Start was a pain sometimes we received no notice of this. We would stay till 1am

Advice to Management

You need to do better

10. tough and also tiring

Current Employee - Part Time in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M

Pros

-cheap discount -nice customer -cool clothers but the fabric is pretty cheap

Cons

-manager doesnt do their job -stressful -long work hours -everyday is same -very tiring sore legs standing for hours -co-workers are totally unmotivated

Advice to Management

better workers needed

This company made me feel like a slave

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at H&M

Pros

Co-workers for the most part are very friendly.

Cons

Everything. You get over worked and underpaid. No set schedule. Sometimes schedule is changed without you knowing.

Advice to Management

Quit playing favorites.

Showing 1,009 of 1,017 reviews